Nintendo Topic

My favorite Nintendo franchise would probably be the Mario franchise to some extent (there are some games from there that I don’t really enjoy but most of them are pretty entertaining) and at the same time Fire Emblem franchise. Though, I do need to play more of them but I’ve played a few but enough I guess. Though idk another one would be Kid Icarus but it is because I enjoyed Uprising, and Pokemon (I know its by Gamefreak of course)… Holy man I love to play Pokemon the mooooooost when it comes to never ending playing. ;w;

What’s your favorite Mario game?

Mostly the Mario Party Games, Super Mario 3D Land for the Wii U, Mario Kart 7 and 8, Super Mario 3. There’s loads.

Cool. I’ve enjoyed a number of the Mario games, but I don’t usually have the patience for them. :frowning:

3D Land is really good with friends. My favorite mario games are Mario Galaxy, Mario Sunshine and Paper Mario. Have you played those?

My favorite Nintendo franchise would be Pokemon. Every new Pokemon game brings a new feature in and every generation a different region that has it’s own unique thing.

I have played Mario Galaxy and Paper Mario. But not Sunshine (I think its because back in the time I played Mario games it was either from Wii, N64, DS and Gameboy).

1 Like

I have had a long history with Nintendo. The very first game console I have any recollection playing was the SNES when I was 6-8. Ever since then, my tastes may have changed (very debateably my skills have as well) and while I am now usually a JRPG/VN kind of guy, there has been many Nintendo franchises or games that I still cherish greatly. I am gonna talk about my favourite series and particularly my favourite games in those series. I also will mention my favourite Nintendo Consoles, since I don’t see others posting about it yet and was curious what all your guys was.

Legend of Zelda:

They often say that your first Zelda game you beat is much like the first Final Fantasy you beat in that it’s likely to be your favourite of all time. And despite it not being the first Zelda game I have played, Twilight Princes was the first Zelda game I played (and really only since I tend to play a lot of them and never finish) is my favourite Zelda game ever. The gameplay, while not as tight as Link to the Past, was generally great and what really drew me in was the characters. Midna is still my favourite Zelda character ever and her character arc is still the best and strongest in my opinion from a character in any Zelda game. The art style is also beautiful and I particularly the character designs. It did have some issues, like a brightness issue (making the game blacker than a Spinal Tap album cover) and an overworld that was a bit empty at times. However, I feel it also had some consistently good dungeons and the only Water Temple that doesn’t make me question why I ever played these games in the first place. Lastly, the music I felt was some of the best (if not the best) in the entire series, particularly the hugely overlooked credits theme.

LoZ Game Order (ones I have played): Twilight Princess > Link To The Past > Majora’s Mask > Ocarina of Time > Link Between Worlds > Wind Waker > Four Swords (on 3DS) > Legend of Zelda > Legend of Zelda 2

Mario (2D/3D platformers, specifically):

Hard to find anyone nowadays who hasn’t either played a game from this series or at least has heard of it. Anyway, Mario games were some of my very first gaming experiences and for 2D Mario games, Mario 3 is my favourite. It felt like it had plenty of World variation rather than just changing seasons/weather and had some huge mainstays for the series (the overworld map, for example or the Mushroom houses). The platforming controls are also very tight and responsive and I felt this one was always the most fun to play. Super Mario World never clicked for me, but I also do love to go back to the first game on the NES. Super Mario Bro’s on the DS was also fantastic, being probably my second favourite 2D Mario platformer. As for 3D, well I haven’t played a lot of them, but I remember really enjoying Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario 3D World and a DS port of Super Mario World 64.

As a side note, I did want to mention at least one of the RPG’s and since I have only played two, I will say that Thousand Year Door is amazing and easily my favourite Mario RPG of all time (for now).

Super Smash Bros:

Classic nostalgia with this one. My introduction and favourite game in the series is Melee, since I spent hundreds of hours on it battling bots on the highest difficult settings and maining with Link and Marth. In general, I usually win most matches I play with my friends, but I never bothered with a competitive circuit (and haven’t played in years so I am probably pretty bad at it now). I am far too casual when it comes to most games and especially nowadays, time may not be feasible to pursue competitive circuits. Regardless, Brawl happened and I think it was a step down, especially since the game only got more broken instead of less. Now that Smash on the Wii U and 3DS has been out for a while, I would say overall that its probably the best game out of all of them in terms of features, graphics and content, but Melee will always be my favourite.

Mario Party:

This used to be (and still is) a childhood favourite. While I think the games went downhill after 7, I have played the ones on Gamecube (6 and 7), a DS Mario Party game (barely played it tho), Mario Party 8 on the Wii briefly and while I haven’t played as many of them as I have other Mario games, I have had a lot of fun. However, I do standby the fact that this game will ruin friendships on an even greater level than Mario Kart, as there is an even greater element of chance involved in these games; this is especially true in earlier ones in the series. Mario Party 6 is my current favourite, though 7 and 8 were pretty good.

Mario Kart:

This is one that I go way back to Super Mario Kart on the SNES. I have played most of the Mario Karts at some point, though I don’t think I ever played the DS version or NES Mario Kart. Though I largely played these games alone, I still remember having a lot of fun with them. Recently, I got fairly decent at Mario Kart 8, though sometimes I like to maintain that illusion by just playing with friends when they do occasionally come over.

Order of my favourite Mario Kart games: Mario Kart Double Dash > Mario Kart 8 > Mario Kart 64 > Super Mario Kart > the rest (haven’t played the others)

Pokemon:

One of the very first handheld games I ever played (on a GBA that had so much screenglare it was hard to ever see anything) was my copy of Firered. I lost it and the Leafgreen copy I believe I got afterward, but where I really fell in love was getting Emerald. There is certainly a lot of childhood nostalgia that I hold for that game and I have played a good number of them, only missing the original Gen 1 and 2 (played the previously mentioned Firered/Leafgreen and Soulsilver) and Gen 5 (lost interest around that time). Still, I remember the long periods of time spent stealing money after beating up Pokemon Trainers’s Pokes who are far younger than me (and all the reminders about how good Joey’s Rattata is). I also played a little outside of the main series by playing Collesium for a bit and Pokemon Ranger. Good games, though I either lost them or they didn’t hold my attention for that long. Other remakes I played was Alpha Sapphire, which I loved despite the fact that I felt the credits theme wasn’t nearly as good, though the original credits theme is my favourite Pokemon song of all time.

My favourite Gen’s/Poke game order (lumped in the remakes to the Gen’s they were updating)): Gen 3 (R/S/E/AS/OR) > Gen 2 (G/S/C/HG/SS) > Gen 6 (X/Y) > Gen 1 (R/B/Y/LG/FR) > Gen 4 (D/Pe/Pl)

(I never played Pokemon Moon or Sun nor Black & White or the sequel).

Donkey Kong (any Donkey Kong related game, really):

Donkey Kong Country and its two sequels are still games I very fondly remember playing in my childhood. The graphics were incredible for their time and the music is, in my opinion, some of the best ever composed in gaming ever. While I was never really good at the games themselves, the atmosphere, attention to detail and the gameplay were all perfect. I know most people agree that DKC 2 is the best but I think DKC 3 is underrated, despite the fact that I’d say it isn’t as good as DKC 1 or 2. Donkey Kong Returns was decent, but I wasn’t really blown away by another game in the series until I tried Tropical Freeze. I played it at a friends house and loved it. Definitely need to invest in a copy once my wallet is occupied by more than just flies and cobwebs. I also really enjoyed Donkey Kong 64 as a kid, though I reckon that most of that is nostalgia talking.

Wario Games:

I have played a few games starring Wario, and they were generally really fun. My favourite is still Warioworld for the Gamecube, but Master of Disguise was cool. I never played a lot of these, but I did enjoy the couple I did play, so I thought I’d mention it since most people don’t talk about them when talking Nintendo IP’s.

Nintendo games/series I wanna play: Breath of the Wild, Mother series (especially Mother 3), Fire Emblem: Echoes, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Galaxy (and the sequel).

Here are my personal favourite Nintendo Consoles (including handhelds):

Gamecube > SNES > 3DS > DS > GBA SP > N64 > NES > Wii U > Wii > Gameboy Colour > GBA (has no Switch, so I can’t judge that one nor the original Gameboy).

Skyward Sword also has a pretty good Water Temple in my opinion, but that’s not on your played list, so you wouldn’t know about it.

I finally found a switch, it should be coming in 4-6 days. I have to say, I never got a wii or wii u, motion controls just didn’t appeal to me and I felt like the wii u was just a over sized ds lol. Also the wii u just took too long to have good games like smash 4, and they brought that to the 3ds so I just played on that same with mario maker. Like if they launched with mario maker I might of gotten it.

I don’t ever buy other consoles so even though I did skip out on two nintendo consoles I feel like I am very loyal to nintendo. I am just very cheap tbh, gotten blame humble bundle and gaben for that. Even my pc is pretty shitty. So buying the switch was a big deal for me.

Anyways I’ve played all zelda up through wind waker. OoT is my favorite game ever. Botw seems super hyped because I have seen OoT fanatics and speedrunners say Botw is better than OoT… I can’t wait to play BoTW.

Nintendo has made so many good games that is hard to keep up with them tbh. Like starfox 64 is one of my favorite games of all time yet it is the only starrfox game I’ve ever played.

1 Like

That’s entirely inaccurate. The DS actually had games :deino:

For me, Breath of the Wild alone was worth $300 for the Switch + $60 for the game.

When it comes to Nintendo games I guess you can say I’ve given most series a shot, but didn’t really get that far in them.

1. Metroid:

I don’t know much @Hardscope has talked about me on here but if he’s said anything about my vidya interests he must have brought up Metroid. :stuck_out_tongue: On this series I’m mostly a 2Dfag but I have also beaten prime and Prime 2: Echoes. Out of those two Echoes is probably my favorite, and it’s the only prime I have beat 100%.

Metroid will forever be my favorite nintendo game series. As a matter of fact, I am a romhacker for Metroid: Zero Mission, and race ZM often! (I did a 0% race of fusion but it got so bad at the end I gave up and went the savestate route when fighting the Omega Metroid. Never. Again. Or at least not for a long time.)

I started with Metroid Fusion in 2005 (on the same copy and gba my dad played on) but, for some reason, it disappeared. As I did the growing-up thing, I started to emulate Super Metroid (PAL rom until recently for some terrible reason) and would often stay up until 2AM exploring Zebes. I got fusion back when I was 11. Fusion was pretty grand aside from worst boss in the game (Yakuza), and I had lodes of fun with super, but when I got Metroid: Zero Mission later in my preteen years I knew I had discovered a gem.

The music was exquisite, and gameplay much better than previous 2d titles IMO. I would beat that game on the daily throughout my 4th grade year (it took me a really long time to discover that super missiles and power bombs existed in that game :stuck_out_tongue:) After beating ZM and unlocking NEStroid, I did some NARPassword runs and eventually took the game seriously enough to play it start to finish without any cheat passwords. When I wasn’t playing one of those games, I was playing my dad’s copy of Metroid II: Return of samus or emulating it.

For the longest time Metroid II had me stuck in area III (arguably the most confusing area in the game without a map) but then a couple years back I picked it up again and beat the game using a map. It’s got improved gameplay to NES but NEStroid was better if you asked me.

Then came AM2R, the unofficial metroid II remake. Oh boy AM2R. I played the demos, I played metroid confrontation, and once AM2R finally released I couldn’t put it down for days until I finished it 100%. AM2R is probably the greatest fan creation and homage that will ever reach the metroid fanbase. We all know what happened with AM2R but it’s still getting community updates I’m hesitant to try until they’re completely finished, so that’s cool.

And now, Samus Returns, the official remake of metroid II. If you are a metroid fan, or haven’t given metroid a chance yet, this is the perfect game to go with nowadays. Its more linear nature makes it moderately boring at times in comparison to the other games, but this is to prevent extreme cases of feeling lost like in SM or metroid II. MSR is the best official metroid remake I have ever played. The OST was glorious. Gameplay was hella nice particularly due to minimap and weapons no longer being cramped into the main window. It gave the player an opportunity to stand back and take in the atmosphere. The areas were massive, and some metroid fights were pretty tense. And the Chozo memories. MMM CHOZO MEMORIES. If this is the future of unlocks for 100% items I am completely on board. The only complaints I have with this game would be the melee counter and the inability to really divert from intended path. I feel like the melee counter would have been less OP if it was an ability you obtained, like the power grip in zero mission. Overall, samus returns just was so much different from M2 it feels like a totally different game and that is a good thing.

1. MegaMan

I know that MegaMan is a CapCom series but the ones I played were Nintendo exclusives. I have actually played and beat a good deal of these games so for that I’m putting this series above TLOZ. II haven’t done much with the original blue bomber but I’ve done a lot more of the weeb games like MegaMan Zero collection, Megaman ZX (I need ZX Advent :frowning:), Megaman X, Megaman Xtreme, and the MegaMan Battle Network Series. Overall my favorites are MegaMan Zero, MegaMan ZX, Megaman Battle Network, and MegaMan X. MegaMan Zero is a game for masochists (sorry i forgot how hard it was @Hardscope) but I enjoyed how open the world was (unlike the other games where you teleported to zones) Megaman ZX improved on this formula but made the area map really fucking confusing which is why it’s my second favorite. Battle Network is also high up there in my favorites because it is definitely one of my favorite RPG games. I like how instead of relying on RNG the player’s moves must be strategic because your methods can have a profound effect on how a battle goes, whether it’s attack evasion, pulling off the right combo of battle chips at the right time, or in general holding out until you can get your chip attacks back. I also just really like the overall sci-fi utopian cyber feeling that lies within that series. That’s about it.

1. The Legend of Zelda

I am not going to be able to go on a multi-paragraph tangent about TLOZ saying as I have not beat any of the games but from what I have played TLOZ is my third favorite ninty series. The games I have played are NES and LTTP. They feel like a top-down medieval-style metroid game and it’s pretty great! I love how much there is to explore, especially with equipment you obtain to move through obstacles. (like the boots or gloves in LTTP that let you get through rocks) LTTP and NES have made me love dungeons in video games because IMO they do it very well particularly LTTP. Now I know that the more fan favorite games are things like MM or OOT or WW but I have not played those games really.

1. PKMN

I have spent a lot of time playing pokemon. Not nearly as much as most people but my hours shouldn’t be discounted. I have played classic Red, Gold, Sapphire, Firered and Leafgreen. I haven’t beaten any of these games either but the one I got farthest in was classic red (to the elite four) and to this day I’m probably really partial to that game over the rest. (Yeah, I’m a gen1 fag deal with it. :stuck_out_tongue:) Maybe one day I will do more things related to the pokey mans.

3 Likes

Oh there is and has been a lot of debate among Zelda fans arguing that LTTP is the best Zelda game, so it’s also pretty popular. On the topic of LTTP, I recently started playing that game with a randomizer, which basically swaps around all chest items, boss heart containers and heart pieces. So even though I’m not really a speedrunner, it’s quite fun to me to play the game that way.

3 Likes

Bumping up this topic to ask a quick query. There’s a really good chance my family’s ‘family gift’ this Christmas is going to be a Wii U, so I wanted to ask beforehand what games are worth playing on the system. Please exclude Breath of the Wild from your recommendations, since my father’s more than likely to be getting that alongside the Wii U. :ahaha:

2 Likes

It may be best to tell Kaza whether or not you already have a Wii and whether or not you may want to count games from the digital storefront that aren’t restricted to Wii or Wii U games for this or not.

To be fair, many of Nintendo’s digital catalog can be found on other systems, but there are some that are only on the Wii U as far as I can remember. :slight_smile:

EDIT: To answer this as a starting point at the very least, you may want to look into:

1. Mario Kart 8 (just please note that the Switch version has more content)
  2. New Super Mario Bros. U (there is a Luigi U version as well but it’s not as easy to suggest since you have a much more limited amount of time to complete stages)
  3. Super Mario 3D World (while I haven’t played it, I have heard far too many good things about it to not bring it up as a game worth at least taking a look at)
  4. Super Smash Bros. Wii U (I’m not a fighting game person at all and in any capacity, but this game is so fun with so many different ways to play anyway)
  5. Yoshi’s Woolly World (just please note that there is an “updated” version for the 3DS but this game is still really fun - it’s a better suggestion if you already enjoyed Yoshi’s Island)

You may want to look to see, based on the other consoles and handhelds you have and want to get, if you would like the Wii U versions of…say…Minecraft, Rayman Legends, or Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse or prefer to look into trying them on another device. Since you love the Tales series so much, pinpointing whether you would like Xenoblade is questionable since I do not enjoy the combat in that series at all.

2 Likes

I always end up playing Super Smash Brothers with my family who owns a Wii U, I don’t have a Wii myself but it’s always a lot of fun. I don’t know if you’ll want singleplayer or multiplayer games mostly, but if you’re playing with other people I would definitely recommend that one. Though it also depends on your tastes of course. Mario Kart is a lot of fun too to play with other people, and Mario Party as well I guess? Otherwise I’m not that much help when it comes to recommendations for the Wii U.

EDIT: I see KaiMiang edited his post with some of the titles I just suggested too, but it’s good I can back that up then I guess, haha.

2 Likes

I have a Wii, but I don’t need Wii-related recommendations at the present time. I am happy to welcome digital recommendations for anything that can be acquired exclusively on the Wii U eShop, including Virtual Console stuff.

I doubt my family is getting a Switch for a looooooooong time. :sweat_smile:

I own the physical version of Xenoblade Chronicles already, and I find the game quite enjoyable, if a little overwhelming at times. I am pretty curious about Xenoblade X; some say it’s good, some say it’s not as good as the first Xenoblade, some downright hate it. I just want to know if I can get any mileage out of it, having liked what I’ve played of the first game.

Thanks for the recommendation! I welcome both singleplayer and multiplayer recommendations, as long as they’re worth playing. :umu:

1 Like

Sorry all for the edit - I figured it was better than double posting.

Excellent!

The bad news is that outside of Virtual Console games that you may not already have played (especially certain Super Nintendo and most, if not all, Game Boy Advance games) there really isn’t a lot of exclusives that stand out. :sad:

Please let us know if some SNES or GBA Virtual Console ideas may prove helpful. There are a lot of good choices there IMHO but that may or may not be that helpful to you. :slight_smile:

I found Xenoblade to be a game that had so many positive to simply amazing aspects but after a while the enemies were either incredibly long fights similar to many of the late game fights in Tales of Legendia, or pointless to where I could put the controller down and just watch. I could not say for sure how much you would like the new cast, new soundtrack, or new world and its style.

If you find the first game quite enjoyable and can handle voice acting that is not as enjoyable as the first game, and a plot and set of characters that is probably not going to be as enjoyable then you may want to take a deep look at it because there many improvements to the combat and overall world - provided you like the Skell. Even if you don’t, you may still get a good amount of play out of the game before that happens. :umu:

You may also want to look into Bayonetta 2 if you enjoy a style of combat similar to Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors or just liked the first Bayonetta.

1 Like

Pretty much my only real exposure to any of Xenoblade X’s elements is the soundtrack, and it’s got its good and bad points. It certainly isn’t the vibrant and refreshing piece of work that is Xenoblade’s OST, nor is it Sawano’s best work, but it has its moments. :ahaha:

I can stomach bad voice acting. If the plot and characters are terrible I may have trouble staying involved, but if the gameplay is more fun I can give it a try. :umu:

I think that Xenoblade’s soundtrack is really something to experience at least once, and if you have some experience with X’s soundtrack then that’s great! :happy:

Some players will dislike…say…Reyn’s voice or lines completely and be thankful that they don’t have to hear it again. Some players will like the fact that the personalities of the new cast are more cookie cutter. I just think it’s best to go in with reasonable expectations.

It sounds like watching a demo and reading the character bios would be a great way to understand more about the game since it doesn’t have a playable demo, but that choice is up to you!

1 Like