Nintendo Topic

Discussion topic for Nintendo’s brand of video games and consoles! I’m personally a big fan of Nintendo’s games, and I knew a few other members here are as well, so feel free to use this topic as you please. Use [spoiler] tags at your own discretion.

One thing I’d like to request is that while no organisation is immune to criticism over their decisions, I’d prefer if we kept any shitposting to a minimum here. If you don’t like Nintendo, then feel free to direct your complaints elsewhere. I’m happy for discussion over valid complaints, but please keep “Nintendo is shit” posts to a minimum, thanks~

I’ll open up the topic with: What do you are your favourite Nintendo-owned game series’? They can be anything from Mario to something obscure like Jam with the Band, as long as it’s Nintendo owned!

For me, I’ll name four.

Kirby. I freaking love Kirby games. He’s starred in a lot of different titles, some better than others, but I continue to insist that Kirby knows how to be a fun game more than any Mario platformers do. The concept is so simple, but the gameplay usually goes quite deep with all the hidden collectables you can find to reach 100% completion. And often, the multiplayer is amazing. Kirby’s also one of those franchises that isn’t afraid to dabble in many spinoffs, and the results are often very entraining, sometimes more entertaining than the main entries themselves! cough Kirby Air Ride & Canvas Curse cough

Fire Emblem. It’s a shame it took this series so long to reach international waters, because it’s amazing fun! The permadeath system creates a very unique dynamic to strategy, where every move made on the battlefield matters, and you feel genuine attachment to the narratives of your little pieces on the chessboard, and it pains you whenever you see them in trouble. My housemates always give me weird looks because I’m always shouting or gasping with relief whenever I play awakening, because there’s so much suspense with every turn! It’s the most exciting of all when a unit faces almost certain death, and you have to pull off some crazy tactics involving your entire army just to keep them alive.

MOTHER/Earthbound. Holy shit release MOTHER 3 in English already Nintendo! This series is very near and dear to my heart. Not just for the quirky and hilarious dialogue ever-present in the stories, but also how the stories deal with some very strong and mature themes. MOTHER 3 in particular deals with themes like grieving over the loss of a loved one during the already-turbulent time of puberty, the influence of technological advancement on mankind, and the ultimate fate of the world. These games are deep shit, and much like Key games, will probably bring you to tears at some point. It’s not all fun and games.

Metroid. A very popular one, but a very deserving one. There haven’t been many Metroid games, but nearly every one has been amazing. Even OTHER M, the one everyone complains about, is something I enjoyed a lot despite it’s flaws. It felt like a more natural transition to 3D than the Prime series did, like the missing link between Super and Prime. That said, Super and the Prime series still remain very near and dear to me. Especially Metroid Prime 2! That game was amazing. The feeling of exploring an alien planet and all the action of the combat is really exciting, and it’s always a joy to reach 100% completion in those games.

Let’s hear some of your favourites!

2 Likes

[quote=“Aspirety, post:2, topic:1189”]
What are your favourite Nintendo-owned game series’?
[/quote]Super Smash Bros., Kirby, Metroid, and especially The Legend of Zelda. At least, those are the ones I still kind of follow nowadays. I haven’t invested in a lot of Nintendo games recently. There’s too many visual novels and JRPGs out there that are more interesting.

Smash Bros. is a franchise that I was incredibly crazy about when I first heard about it. At one point I went out of my way to buy the first three games, but I grew tired of Melee and sold it (along with a few other games) in exchange for Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love (an exchange I do not regret in the slightest). I still play Brawl occasionally, and I’ve been watching fights from the fourth game(s) on YouTube, but I don’t own a Wii U, so…

Kirby is the one of the few platforming series I feel comfortable playing, since I generally suck at platformers to begin with. The cutesy aesthetic and the bizarre enemy design are more than enough to keep my interest, and the music is pretty catchy. I had the pleasure of helping my imouto beat Kirby’s Epic Yarn recently, and that game felt pretty soothing.

I started the Metroid series with Fusion, and not only did it cement my love for the gradual kind of creepy that Higurashi is so famous for, it made me a fan of the ability-collecting platforming series. The one I go back to the most is Zero Mission, which is probably the most polished and fair Metroid game I’ve played so far (Yes, I have played Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. They’re great games in their own right, but Zero Mission just nails everything for me).

Finally, The Legend of Zelda is a series that’s so amazing, even my father follows it. (He almost considered getting a Wii U just to get Hyrule Warriors. Almost). I loved exploring the vast open worlds and hacking away at enemies, grass and pots ever since I first played Link to the Past in 2003 (and it has remained my favorite 2D Zelda game ever since). With the exception of Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures, I have played every Zelda game released in North America, and while I don’t expect to be playing the upcoming Zelda game on Wii U anytime soon, I’m sure I will end up playing it eventually. :3

1 Like

I’m on my way out for Uni but I guess I can do a quick little thing.

• Mario I only buy every third or fourth game and that still doesnt change enough

• Two latest Pokemon sets have been shit

• Smash4 was meh

• Couldn’t get into Earthbound despite riding Aspi’s boner to it on launch day

• Animal Crossing was fun for about a month then bleh

• Fire Emblem Awakening was great and I’m all in on that franchise now

• Kid Icarus Uprising is A FUCKING MASTERPIECE

• I don’t think I’ve played a bad Zelda game yet, love all of those

• WarioWare is eternally fun and Ashley best girl

• Haven’t played any Yoshi, Kirby or DK yet

• Only played Metroid Prime Hunters so far but that was fun so

• Anything else I’ve missed I guess I haven’t played

I’m a pretty big fan of Nintendo, but I’ve only ever followed their handheld console releases. I have owned every iteration of their handheld consoles (not including spinoffs like the DSi and GBA SP), but have never owned any of their home consoles. Well, I’ve only ever owned one home console so I think that was a different problem altogether xP

My favorite Nintendo series are Kirby, The Legend of Zelda, and Pokemon. having played most of the handheld iterations of these games. Haters gonna hate, but Nintendo sure makes fun games

DK is the strongest Nintendo Character, discuss

Source: DKCR’s ending

I can confirm, but I’ve only played the older DKC games.

My favorite Nintendo series is Pokemon. I’ve been playing Pokemon since I was 4! Others would have to be Kirby Fire Emblem, Mario and Pikmin. They’re all really good series that I can’t explain unless I write a college paper or something.

There are times I love Nintendo and times when I really hate Nintendo and it seems like I fluctuate back and forth pretty frequently.

Love: The Nintendo mainstays (LoZ, Kirby, Mario, Dk etc.), but also really enjoy some of the more out there things that they pick up. Being an RPG fan Nintendo is hard to nail down for proof look no further than Final Fantasy. FF started on Nintendo systems and then they lost it to Playstation then picked it back up with fringe games (FFTA, Chrystal Chronicles) and same with other RPG franchises it’s like they dable but never really commit. They also have carried a lot of SMT games and I love me some SMT.

Also thanks Nintendo for the portable market…I love handheld gaming (read handheld systems not phones) and I truly believe that the Gameboy is to thank for that, if it had flopped chances that we have the DS and PSP today are slim to none.)

Hate: Business choices - I understand that its a business and you’re in it to make money but I hate how game systems are released (and I know this isn’t Nintendo exclusive) and then a year down the road a upgraded version is released (GBA - GBA SP, DS - DS lite, 3ds - 3ds XL you get the picture) but what has ticked me off more than anything is the New 3ds junk. No one is going to convince me that the New 3ds is anything other than Nintendo trying to milk this cash cow a little more. We have to buy a full priced version of the system we already have so we can have an extra stick and trigger and we aren’t including a charger (please dont get me started on that). If you are going to make a new system then make a new system, don’t add a few bells and wistles to the one we have already bought hoping we will buy it again.

Just like the DSi, huh :stuck_out_tongue: Well, thankfully, they’re only releasing a few games that will be new 3DS exclusives (as they did with the DSi). Nintendo has been all about backwards compatibility, but forwards compatibility I guess can never be a thing.

In a way, isn’t the 3DS just a DS with bells and whistles added? :stuck_out_tongue:

3DS is a new generation of consoles, a very significant upgrade in hardware. 3DSXL/2DS/N3DS/N3DSXL are all part of the 3DS family, not the DS.

Didn’t the processor and memory of the N3DS get a decently significant upgrade, though?

Yeah that’s correct, but it’s still based on the same foundation of the 3DS. It’s the same as those expansion carts you had with the Nintendo 64, just marketed as a new console with new buttons yayyy (or like the N64DD in Japan. Or the DSi.)

Not an essential purchase, hardly. It is a money grab sure. It’s mainly there for the fanatics (heh) who really want to take advantage of the new features and anybody else who might be joining late. In my case my old one died so it was time to upgrade anyway. It’s just something to boost the shelf life of the console a little bit further.

I really want to like nintendo more but they just don’t make as much that appeals to me anymore, I love the older systems like the NES and SNES and would love an old Famicom but the gameboy was my pride and joy! I remember getting my gameboy and my copy of Pokemon blue which sadly lost my old save about a year or two back with the battery dying. I mainly just play Pokemon and Fire emblem these days but I still love my 3DS, just wish it had a GB slot still or had the older Pokemon games for download.

See this is how I view most of the upgrades they throw out there like from 3ds to 3ds XL, but they went the extra mile with N3DS and made exclusives for it, I was so excited to hear Xenoblade Chronicles was coming to the 3ds since I never got to play it only to have my heart broke when it became a N3DS exclusive.

I just found out about the Nintendo topic and I decided to revive it by asking: anyone is playing splatoon? and what do you think of it? Also, what are your thoughts about shin megami tensei X Fire Emblem?

THE ONLY UPCOMING REASON TO OWN A WIIU.

Tropical Freeze is the only current reason

1 Like

I’ll probably get it at some point, but I’m far from hyped about it. I’m much more interested in Fates at the moment. I’m not really a big fan of what they’re doing with it. It just feels like they made a Persona game, and changed a few things to try and connect it to Fire Emblem. I would have preferred a more traditional crossover, where the two worlds meet. I mean, it wouldn’t be that hard to justify it, considering the existence of the Outrealms. I also feel that the approach they’re taking is probably quite off putting to both fanbases (the FE fanbase barely even mentions it). Crossover games tend to be almost entirely fanservice, and this approach removes that.

Splatoon is fantastic. I haven’t played as much as I should, but every time I’ve played it I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have yet to try the new update, but I’m wondering about the possibility of setting up a Kazamatsuri Splatoon squad, if we could find 2 other people who play it :wink:

Still extremely hyped for Super Mario Maker and Xenoblade Chronicle X. I’m hoping we’ll be able to play them together!

2 Likes

I’ll be sure to make some silly Key-themed levels!

They just announced the ability to add RECORDED SOUNDS as special effects for your level. You could totally fill a level with Dorj sounds.

3 Likes