Mutsumi Suginami Appreciation Topic

Nice going. Well then, let’s do some interpreting to dig deeper into this matter.
Why did Takamiya and Katsusawa plan to make a class “just as they wanted” when they tried to get Kurugaya to join their group? I bet they wanted to play some power games. With Kurugaya on their side, nobody would be able to oppose them. Now then, why did they desire that kind of power? Maybe they wanted to form a group that would not get split up like last time?
Oh, but this is still Mutsumi’s route, so she needs to be proberly incorporated into this flashback segment. Well, what if this victim-type girl was indeed the target of bullying at some point? And while we’re at it, let’s recall Takamiya’s words.

"Fine, broadcast whatever you want. But if you do, I’ll make your friends’ lives a living hell. You’re all such a merry bunch of friends, eh? You have NO idea how many ways there are to ruin that paradise."

While we’re at it, let’s try to imagine where Takamiya got that strategy of targeting the weakest member of a group. Well then, I wonder how their former ‘merry bunch of friends’ got split apart~

You know what I’m getting at, right? ^^

You’re gonna have to be straight with me, there’s a few things you could be getting at.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Methinks… Perhaps the Little Busters did some sort of crazy thing in their early years that indirectly caused the downfall of their group? Kyousuke made a whole bunch of ridiculous plans and Masato and Kengo probably elevated them to the next level, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there might have been a few casualties in the process.

BTW did they ever say what is it in Riki that Suginami liked? I reviewed the anime and it wasn’t there (and I no longer have savefiles for the VN)

Nothing, as far as I’m aware. It’s completely open to interpretation. You might put it down to similarities in their personalities.

Someone, somewhere, said something like ‘Yo you can understand bitches being all over Kyousuke or Kengo dick because they’re handsome as fuck, but some girls just want a guy like Riki to satisfy maternal instincts’
She wants to mother him.
She’s into some weird shit.

Yeah that actually sounds vaguely familiar… Can’t quite put my finger on it…

Oh wait I think it was Mio hahaha

Mio or Kurugaya for sure.

My interpretation of that was that Mutsumi Suginami was bullied in the past, and that led to the downfall of their group.

Geez you guys always gotta bully Suginami.

You ever consider they’ve just been friends for so long bullying Suginami didn’t even cross their minds.
Just because they became bitches and whores doesn’t mean Suginami had too.

Well that was my interpretation of it… You know, really old childhood friends that know each other well and stuck together despite everything.

…that’s really not what I was going for, though.

I was getting at something different.

So let’s say that at some point, while Takamiya’s and Mutsumi’s merry bunch of friends was doing well, some good-for-nothings started bullying Mutsumi. Her friends stepped in, but…

[quote=“Naoki_Saten, post:61, topic:276”]
"Fine, broadcast whatever you want. But if you do, I’ll make your friends’ lives a living hell. You’re all such a merry bunch of friends, eh? You have NO idea how many ways there are to ruin that paradise."[/quote]

The bullys started targeting other members of that group… until said group fell apart and what remained were only Mutsumi, Takamiya and Katsusawa. Sound familiar? ^^

http://puu.sh/8w87m

Like this, you can reduce Takamiya’s antagonist level: by showing them it’s not her supposedly evil mind that came up with those ‘cheap tricks’, but instead, her own friends were once subjected to such treatment.
It’s a scenario that would explain Takamiya’s and Katsusawa’s bitterness, their delinquent-like behavior (school life became hateworthy) and their loathing of Kurugaya as well as the Little Busters in general, while making them easier to relate to.

(There’s also the option of shortening the whole thing and saying that Kurugaya rejecting Takamiya’s invitation was the cause of her group falling apart.
However, Kurugaya was referring to that group as a ‘Pack of monkeys’, indicating they were up to no good, so I wouldn’t recommend that)

Pssh, why sympathize them.
Let bitches be whores.

First, stop using such vulgar language
Second, stop using misleading terminology. They were bullying people, not selling their bodies
Third, the author who made them look evil was Key’s plothole master
Fourth, if those two would be pictured as pure evil in Suginami’s route, they would be much more troublesome and hard to use for the plot. You’d have to write a lot of text just for the sake of explaining how such malicious characters ended up in the position they’re currently at. Also, one-dimensional dumb villain characters are boring.

First: But it’s le funny memay.
Second: See above, ‘bitches and whores’ is a thing.
Third: Too bad, it’s canon.
Fourth: And I think MUH TRAGIC BACKSTORY villains are boring.

2 Likes

The tragic backstory is that Suginami caused her group to be bullied in the past, and now she is being bullied by her own friends. It explains a bit while giving a tragic backstory to Suginami.

Theory 1:
http://puu.sh/8wsPo.jpg[]

Theory 2:
Riki is obviously very feminine and meek. He can effortlessly approach girls and talk to them completely naturally. Girls instantly drop their guard around him (heck, most of them don’t even think about putting it up in the first place) because he’s giving off that “absolutely harmless” aura. Their next thought is “He’s kinda cute”.
So then, when he pretty much starts off at a range where he can fire off point-blank shots, any little triviality will do.
Spending enough time with the girl to make his presence as natural as air, a cool line, a bright smile or even something as simple as picking up her eraser is enough to flip the romance switch. Remember how it was with Kud? She got a crush on him pretty much on the same day they met because he was the only one to not laugh at her name.
I bet it was something similarly simple in Mutsumi’s case.

The motherly feelings thing sounds plausible when the target is a ‘mature’ type.

1 Like

I felt like I mighta been alone on the whole ‘why do they have to have dramatic stories or good sides’ thing.

I think I feel better that they actually just end up being genuinely awful people. Those people do exist.
It’s more realistic to me.

1 Like

AMAZING!!! I’d rally, REALLY play her route

So much love!

I still think that her friends should have little to no bearing on her story. It could easily be made that they are whores and bitches as part of the setting, without having to explain anything. As bizkit said, [quote=“Bizkitdoh, post:77, topic:276”]
Those people do exist.It’s more realistic to me.
[/quote]

On the other hand, you could set up a tragic backstory as well, and give people more insight to their group for extra woobie factor.

But, at the end of the day, her route should be about one thing:
Her unrequited desire to be with Riki.

Everything else is just sidetracking from that

There’s no reason the route can’t be multi-faceted. Suginami’s feelings for Riki are just one small element of the bigger picture in my plan.

Also, if you hate tragic backstories, why are you into Key? Haha. It certainly matches the style more.

Here’s my thought. The girls are presented as villains, or ‘bitches’ in Little Busters. I don’t intended to mess with that. They are pretty horrible people. Instead, what I want is to create a situation where its possible to sympathise with them despite that fact. A Suginami route presents the unique possibility in Little Busters of presenting a story outside of the happy supportive Little Busters, and from a more harsh and cold side.

Here’s a question for you guys. If this group was formed around some cocurricular club, what do you think it would be? I could almost imagine a band, but Suginami is so plain she doesn’t seem to fit into any club I can think of…

1 Like