Mutsumi Suginami Appreciation Topic

For the record, it was those two that were betting on Kud’s failure. They’re easy characters to use whenever you need a convenient malice, heh.

Correction: It wasn’t them, at least not in the VN. The girls betting on Kud’s failure were mob characters such as “Schoolgirl 1”. Just checked it.

But it does seem like the anime keeps using Takamiya and Katsusawa as convenient villains.

My bad, thanks for the correction~

Wait wait wait, you know that it’s possible to portray a person’s personality in more than one situation… right? You don’t need Yuiko’s route to show that Takamiya and Katsusawa have a short fuse~ ^^; Just create a scenario within Mutsumi’s route that shows T&K get a bit unstable when challenged. People who know of Yuiko’s route will make the link, and people who haven’t read/watched it won’t be missing out on anything important to the current story.

There’s a difference between telling (what you are focusing on) and showing (what writers focus on when not using an omniscient narrator…

That’s a pretty smart idea. It would even resolve the issue I found most problematic, namely explain how these ‘friends’ suddenly wanted to pin the blame of bullying Riki on Mutsumi during their confrontation.

It’s kind of hard to judge what Takamiya and Katsusawa are really all about. Are they just ticked off by the weirdos in the Little Busters (Kurugaya being aloof, Rin being antisocial, Kud being… Kud)? Are they trying to sympathize with Suginami because of her crush? Is that even how their personalities are in real life? We don’t know because lol dream world

Either way, I think leaving them as cookie-cutter bitches is fine and adds more plot to Suginami’s situation. I kind of like the scenarios being thought up in this thread, so keep 'em coming! :smiley:

This girl had the best voice of Little Busters. She needs a route stat.

What do you expect? It’s freakin’ Kana Hanazawa!

1 Like

Question. Was she voiced in any version of the VN?

For some reason, I remember her being voiced. I think I’ll have to check into this, if it hasn’t already been checked.

She was. I remember it fondly.

My latest thoughts for the scenario involve Takamiya and Katsusawa. I have the idea that the three of them were once part of a large group of friends, much like the Little Busters, who cheerfully spent their youth together. But some conflict tore them apart and everyone split apart, with the there of them sticking together. The event took its toll on the three of them emotionally, causing Takamiya and Katsusawa to develop bitter and resentful views of the world (especially true for Takamiya). This explains why the three of them get along, and why Suginami doesn’t seem to be a victim of them despite their apparent difference in values.

I’d also like to go into more detail about what Kurugaya did to Takamiya. I see it as Takamiya’s actions and attitude causing Kurugaya to step in and lecture her on what she’s doing wrong with her life, denouncing her in front of the whole class. Ever since then she held a grudge against Kurugaya, and seeing her joining the Little Busters and gaining the happiness she once had fuelled her grudge.

Eventually, Suginami grows jealous of the Little Busters and wants to be a part of them, but this is at odds with her lasting friendship with Takamiya and Katsusawa. She has to choose what to do; continue supporting her oldest and closest friends despite the growing toxicity of their circle, or abandon them in the pursuit of new happiness with new friends.

What do you think so far?

1 Like

Replace “new happiness with new friends” with “the loving arms of Riki” and you have my vote

(biased towards romance, sorry)

You could say she has multiple motivations. She wants to experience the fun times with the Little Busters, but she also wants to become closer to Riki. Joining the Little Busters could be an essential stepping stone in working up to that relationship she desires with him.

Oh my god the way you create the situation just makes me want to shelter her and give her a cookie or something ;_;

Total Woobie potential, right there (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWoobie)

I think that’s my motivation, ahaha. The moment I considered her feelings and how she wasn’t able to have her wishes granted while everyone else was happy make me feel really sorry for her. So why not, let’s take this the whole way and make everyone feel for her. I want her to have a happy ending too.

They also appear to be friends with Yamazaki, but they rarely converse. Makes sense that she was once part of the friend group~

How would Riki sort this out though? Suginami’s friends may be bullies, but they can’t just be shrugged off while Suginami gets all the attention. Riki and Suginami should be trying to help them~

Oh, and since not everyone is on Twitter… what do you think? Any problems with this?

1 Like

I don’t plan to leave them in the dust completely. Half the point of this story is to give those characters more characterisation. There may be a point in the story where Suginami turns her back on them, but I plan to give them some kind of closure by the end of the story.

Also. I really really wanna know Suginami’s birthday now! But I don’t think she has one >_<

1 Like

Any chance of a Suginami Kyousuke confrontation? Maybe use Lennon in the same way Rin’s route used it?
It’d make sense for Kyousuke to try and control the actions of an interloper~

Absolutely, I’ve already been planning on it. Suginami isn’t part of Kyousuke’s plan. By forming a relationship with Riki, she is just getting in the way, so there’s bound to be some conflict there. It’ll probably start off as a suggestion not to confess her feelings to Riki because she’ll only be hurt, but later when Suginami realises the truth she’ll have to confront Kyousuke herself.

I still haven’t worked out all the details, but there’s definitely gonna be some stuff going on there.