Little Busters! - Mio Nishizono Route & Character Discussion

Discussion topic for Mio’s arc & character in Little Busters. Feel free to discuss anything from Mio’s route, but we understand that you may need to draw reference upon the events of Refrain to discuss certain aspects. Anything reference to events from other character routes or Refrain, please mark with [spoiler]. You’re also free to discuss Midori’s character here.

Mio’s birthday is the 22nd of August, and Midori’s birthday is the 30th of March.

What would you rate this route?

0 voters

Mio’s route remains my favourite character route from Little Busters, and I’ve only come to appreciate it more and more as time goes on. It was a bit confusing at first, but the most I contemplated it the more I came to understand and respect it. It all revolves around Mio’s self-loathing after her other self was erased through clinical intervention. You can interpret Midori in a number of different ways, either an alter from dissociative identity disorder, or a representation of Mio’s ideal self, but I think it’s probably a bit of both. Midori was everything Mio wished she was, but in wishing so she created a separate individual inside herself which manifested as an alter, or imaginary friend. After losing Midori, she ends up hating herself (which she was already dissatisfied with) even more, and wishes to disappear from everyone’s lives. Her sincere desire to disappear wasn’t something I could wrap my head around at first, but the more I think about it, the more I understand her feelings. It’s a pretty original plot, even for a Key heroine.

And then there’s how Riki reaches out to her, showing her kindness and gradually teaching her self worth and how to form an identity among other people. Mio rejects him at first, determined to disappear, but her determination wavers once she starts growing attached to her life. This is a lot more impacting when you consider the secret of the world. And the way it resolves itself in the end by Riki teaching her to discover herself by spending time with others and accepting who she is, and she is finally able to reintegrate with Midori as one complete self… It’s really powerful, and has impacted me on a deep and personal level. Mio’s story is fantastic, and through it she’s proven to be my personal favourite Key heroine.

What does everyone else think of Mio’s route? I feel like she’s gained a small, dedicated fanbase in the west in recent years. Did her story affect anyone else in a similar way, or is she just another heroine to you?

6 Likes

Mio’s route, and herself as a character, has always been particularly impactful to me because she reminds me a lot on how I used to be ~5 years ago. The way she develops as a character over both the common route and her own route is very powerful, and… yeah. It makes me wish I discovered visual novels a lot earlier than I did, though I got my development in the end. She’s definitely my favourite character, and has the best route IMO.

2 Likes

Mio is my favorite LB heroine. She may seem as ‘just’ a silent introvert at first, but she’s also extremely skilled with words (to the point of being scary). A perfect example of “don’t judge a book by its cover”. She has a refined taste in literature, which is quite rare nowadays.
It was quite touching, and painful, to watch her torment herself over something that’s not even entirely her own fault. And due to her lack of communication skills, she only drove herself into a corner even more. After all, Midori was in no way malicious or selfish. She had to play the role of the villain in order to fulfill Mio’s wish.
Of course, you have to praise Riki’s effort and commitment. In this route, he had to try and save a girl from herself, which is a difficult endeavor. Therefore, it’s quite commendable of him to keep trying and even almost drowning.
If you ask about the most memorable moment of this route, to me, it would be the scene on the beach where Mio “departs” and Riki, overwhelmed with tears, receives a call from Midori who proceeds to shout “baka!” at him, thus preventing him to be plunged into total despair.

5 Likes

I am saying all of this from my experience with the Little Busters! anime because I have not played any of the Key VNs. Spoilers through out.
I really loved Mio’s character and what she has gone through in her past and during her arc. However, Haruka’s arc was my favorite in the anime, but I won’t get into her arc here.
There is something about how distant she was that drew me in. I personally love the dandere architype, other good examples being Kotomi (Clannad), Mai (Kanon), and my waifu Kanade (Angel Beats!), and Mio is another fine example of that.
I found the introduction of Midori to be rather unsettling at first, but I soon realized that Midori was what Mio wanted to be, comparable to (if I may make a reference outside of Key’s works) how from Date A Live Yoshinon was the person that Yoshino always wishes she could be but could never truly be. Midori wasn’t just the friend or sister that she didn’t have, but she was a projection of her “ideal” self and eventually became part of who she is. The idea of suppressing a part of herself like she had to do for Midori was heart breaking. It my have been explained better in the VN, but I theorize that her interactions with the other characters may have led to Midori’s reemergence.
I think that Mio began to fade out of people’s memories and replaced with Midori because, as I said before, Midori is her “ideal” self, the her that she always wanted to be but couldn’t. The way she saw it at the time, she would have been happy if everyone lived their lives believing that Midori was the real Mio Mishizono. However, Riki refused to let that happened because he wanted the real, true, and original Mio.
Oh my god, this ended up being longer than I originally thought it was going to be. Sorry if it was a problem and thank you if you actually took the time to read all of this.

3 Likes

Happy Birthday Mio! I’ve already spoken about how much I love her route, but she’s probably my favourite Key girl overall. I really appreciate the different aura she gives to most of the other characters. Very refined and elegant, yet also craving that human interaction. I just find her very interesting, the kind of person I’d love to sit and talk to. She also has a strange sense of humour that I find charming. I dunno why I’m attracted to that kind of character, but she really appeals to me on some level.

2 Likes

Nishizono-san… it’s so underrated… or so I thought when I’ve just seen her in the anime. Then, I met so many Mio fans around the world, even here. Can’t understand why Key/VA doesn’t give her more love.

When I made it to her route in the VN, I sooo fell in love with her. She loves books, like myself (Even though I’m more of the Sci-fi or epic fantasy guy than a mystery one such as her). She faces that dilemma when she wanted creating bonds with people while keeping being herself. As in, not get her true self be dilluted into the group behavior

While the other LB! girls (except maybe, Kurugaya and Kud, to a certain extent) are more of the funny, active kind, the smarter ones have that charm, and Nishizono is no exception. While still funny, she is more of the quiet kind, a trait I love <3

3 Likes

Yeah, I guess quiet girls are more my type :stuck_out_tongue:
I really identify with that conflict she faces over potentially losing her identity through interaction with others. I used to be the kind of person who sat alone in school all the time, but eventually I opened up and made friends, and I can’t say I’m still the same person I was back then. Something may have been lost in that transition. But I don’t think it wasn’t worth it.
Thinking about Mio makes me get all deep, haha.

1 Like

As a person who likes quiet characters such as Angel/Kanade from Angel Beats! and Yuki Nagato from the Haruhi franchise, Mio is probably one of my favorite heroines in LB. When I first met Mio in the common route I felt a strange presence coming from her and she intrigued me in many ways. She was quiet and reserved yet she was witty with her words and you sense a feeling of loneliness and calmness coming from her. I also like her interest towards books and her talks about them were pretty entertaining (and something that Conan from Detective Conan would approve considering she likes the Mystery genre a lot). She had some great moments whether it’s introducing the Seagull poem to Riki and explaining how much the poem means to her or defeating Haruka in the newspaper blade battle.She was a mysterious character that you wanted to know more, the more you interacted with her and for that along with many more,I really liked her.

As for her route, Mio’s route is probably the most psychological out of all the character routes in LB. It deals with a lot of psychological themes such as memory, isolation, self-loathing etc and I think it works really well. Mio’s backstory was pretty good and coming from someone who was just like her when he was a kid, I can sympathize with what she had to go through. Midori was a character whom I disliked at first for replacing Mio and for rubbing it on your face. But when you find out that she is Mio’s imaginary little sister and you find out about Mio’s wish you understand her intentions. What I also like about Mio’s route is how much Riki develops into being more independent and believing in himself cause let’s face it: in the common route Riki depended on the Little Busters for help. But when they also mistake Midori for the real “Mio” Riki realizes that he’s the only one who can save Mio and that he has to believe in himself. I also like how it all resolves at the end with Riki explaining to Mio that she doesn’t need to disappear and that she has to accept who she is while also keeping in touch with others. That was a really good moment in the route. Overall, I enjoyed Mio’s route and it is one of my favorite routes in the Little Busters.

One last thing I like to mention is Mio’s theme “Approaching Light”. It is one of my favorite tracks in the Little Busters OST. I love the usage of the piano and it fits Mio well in that it’s soothing yet somber.

3 Likes

I don’t really like it when people compare Mio to Kotomi. If you ask me the vibe they give off is toooootally different. We’re comparing a quiet girl who’s strangely child-like and too scared to interact with others to someone who comes off as perfectly at peace with her isolation, as something she chose. Placing them in the same archetype seems narrow minded to me. Also she’s not a robot like Yuki :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you honestly still call Yuki a robot after Shoushitsu? :stuck_out_tongue:

But I do agree with the Kotomi-Mio-thing. They’re very much different.

Hey, she wore glasses right?

2 Likes

Yeah, that comparison is totally wrong. I actually liked Kotomi. shots fired

Was Mio originally going to use glasses?

I mean, there is this picture:

The glasses CG, and the fact she has glasses as an item in the battle ranking minigame.

It doesn’t make sense to create special CGs of a character wearing glasses that is shown for less than 10 seconds.
Unless they were already there after a last minute decision to change a character’s appearance.

What do you think?

1 Like

Huh, she always had glasses, didn’t she?

9 Likes

Well glasses on a bookworm make more sense than another character. I think I read something about this before,probably wikipedia, but I prefer Mio without glasses; they could have put glasses on Komari or Rin. I do think it’s very strange that they haven’t had a single heroine who wears glasses full time. A lot of people like glasses, and appealing to fetishes is like character design 101.

2 Likes

Just finished Mio yesterday. It was my last route before Rin2 and Refrain and damn was that one to do “last.” Pardon my french, but that literally fucked me up. I can’t count the number of times I said HOLY SHIT while reading. Definitely my favorite route yet.

Its really hard to put into words. Every single line in that route, save maybe the short tanka history lesson, was important and had some deeper meaning, even in the common route. Where do I start? Actually, I don’t think I will start. I tried writing out every little thing that had a double meaning, or came back around to smack you later, or that was impossibly deep and awesome, and it must have just hit me so hard that I cant remember all the specifics. I’m gonna have to go back and take notes so I can spit out every little thing that made it so amazing.

I can speak to what Midori is/represents. I think she started out as just Mio’s imagination. She was a girl who enjoyed stories more than anything else, and she wanted someone to share it with, so she created an imaginary friend. But of course, her parents and doctors were worried about her, talking to herself, so they made her forget. When she later remembered Midori, Midori became the embodiment of Mio’s wish: her wish for Midori, the “person” who was always there to support her in her childhood, never to be forgotten.
I don’t think Midori was who Mio wished to be, I think Midori was the friend Mio wished to have. And clearly the embodied Midori was struggling with wanting to fulfill her friend’s wish, wanting to experience life, but not wanting Mio to disappear.

I can also speak to how incredibly much I related to this. I have a bunch of friends that I love to hang out with and talk to, but I find it hard to start conversations with people, and most of the time I just prefer listening anyway. And really, I’m introverted and I often don’t want to even be with people at all. So every time Mio talked about being alone, it hit me. When Riki said, “We’ve all been alone since birth”, it hit me hard. During the bad ending, when Riki fell asleep and woke up alone… damn. That bad end in general was just… wow. Deep. The craziest part of it all. Is that when I was reading the bad end, when Riki was struggling to remember Mio, I was feeling really tried and almost falling asleep. And then, when Riki remembered the poem, and suddenly remembered everything again, I was suddenly wide awake. Like I said, the amount I related to it is insane. I will describe it in more detail when I go back over every little idiosyncrasy of this route that made have so much meaning.

4 Likes

Mio’s route is the best, man. I really want to see more of Leo Kashida’s writing, because he really went above and beyond here.

1 Like

Looks like we have a Midori supporter here eh :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that’s why we have Holy Breaker! It was an interesting choice for them to use Leo Kashida as the writer, what with Jun Maeda being busy and all

Crap. Now I wish I would have bought that…