Little Busters! - Kyousuke Natsume Character Discussion

There’s been a lot of demand for a Kyousuke character thread, so I’m reciprocating. Let’s talk about the character of Kyousuke. Feel free to discuss without fear of spoilers. We’ll probably be talking about Refrain a lot here, so if you haven’t finished Little Busters, then you probably shouldn’t be here.

He is probably Key’s most popular male character ever, but I’m aware there are some people that have issues with him, especially after the events of Rin2 in the Visual Novel. What are your thoughts on Kyousuke? Do you like him as a character? What do you think about everything he did throughout the story? How does he compare to the other males of the Little Busters group?

His birthday is the 4th of May.

1 Like

I found Kyousuke to be a very well written character. He was a great leader and incredible brother. I also found his situation rather similar to Homura (Madoka Magica) and Hanyuu (Higurashi Kai) because of how he repeated the same time line countless times in order to save the one he cares for.
At the end of the first season, I theorized that it was Kyousuke who sent the messages to Riki and Rin, but I thought that it was a means to bring the Little Busters closer together. I also thought that he was able to see into the future, explaining how by “coincidence” the kitchen staff all were missing and the little kids were wanting a puppet show.
In the end, I was right about one, but totally wrong about the other two. While it was him who sent the messages, he did it in order to make Rin a stronger person and less dependent on him, and didn’t see the events before they happened but actively manipulated the world in order to make them happen.
Overall, Kyousuke has become my favorite character in Little Busters! because of what he has done for the Little Busters, in the open and behind the scenes.

Kyousuke is my role model. Ever since I was first introduced to him, I really saw a lot of myself in him. More like, he’s a more charismatic and confident version of me, with my same sensibilities and sense of humour. I’ve always thought of him as the kinda guy I’d like to become, so he really fit the mould of a fictional role model for me. The kind-hearted and dependable guy who wears his heart on his sleeve and always gets his friends wrapped up in silly shenanigans. As much as I see myself in him, he’s also someone I really admire.

I hope that doesn’t come off as narcissistic, ahaha~ I just relate to him in a deeply personal way.

2 Likes

Dude, that’s deep. Sounds like you look up to Kyousuke as much I do Kamina from Gurren Lagann.

I wish I could like Kyousuke. He’s a well written, perfectly placed, older-brother character for the whole of the Little Busters. He lived day-in day-out on loop for god knows how long trying to get a good ending.

Unfortunately, I’m not a Little Buster, and I don’t remember much of Episode:Kyousuke (It was one of the more boring episodes.) I don’t care about what Kyousuke went through, or why he did stuff. I care about WHAT he did. Sure he was trying to get a happy ending for Riki and Rin, but his way of doing things was unacceptable.

Kyousuke made the majority of what we see from Riki’s perspective nothing but a lost memory to Riki. Kyousuke forced Rin away from everyone and broke her. Kyousuke used Masato’s weaknesses to plot him against friends. Kyousuke used the suicide of a friend to show up Kengo.

Put all of this in perspective.
Riki’s memories with the Little Busters are easily the most important thing to him. Kyousuke messes with them.
Rin has a big fear of people, and once she finally started to overcome that fear, she was taken away from the familiar environment. She was led to believe her friends had abandoned her. She was surrounded by strangers and left all alone.
Masato has a massive complex about his strength stemming from a traumatic childhood. Kyousuke takes advantage of this.
Kengo (who I sympathize with a looot) not only had to put up with the guilt of a suicide he could have prevented, but Kyousuke used this guilt to his advantage.

These are the characters who I actually spent time with: they were written in a way that makes them feel human. They all have natural dreams, all admit their mistakes, and are all true to themselves. Until the end, Kyousuke showed none of these signs… and by the time he did it was too late for me to care.

I agree with what Kyousuke strives to achieve… but I can’t agree at all with his actions. There is a difference between actions that work, and actions that are ideal. Kyousuke missed all of the ideals.

I guess he is only a teenage boy plagued by desperation though. I can’t blame him too much…

Yeah, I think you’re being too harsh on him. In Refrain, we see him as a broken man, a shell of his former self. He clearly regrets his actions in Rin’s route, but everything he does is for the sake of saving Rin and Riki. The whole point of Little Busters is to make Riki and Rin strong enough to face the cruelty of the reality that faces them. Kengo wanted to keep on having fun forever, which is admirable itself, but to do that is to completely reject reality. Kyousuke wanted Riki and Rin to move on from the sad reality, not run away. To that end, he did everything he did. He put Rin (and Riki) through a trial to overcome adversity, believing in his decision. He didn’t do it to antagonise anyone, he just made a mistake. He manipulated Kengo because Kengo stood in direct opposition of him and was preventing him from accomplishing his goals. He was willing to make an enemy of even Riki and Rin, the people he loved more than anyone, if it meant saving them. If that’s not selfless dedication, I don’t know what is. You can’t just ignore that.

As for manipulating Masato, I don’t believe that one bit. Masato remained a neutral party. I’m sure he joined with Kyousuke in the baseball match because he wanted a fair fight, not because he was being manipulated. He’s not that much of a fool. Not that it was fair in the end, but I’m sure Masato’s actions were of his own will.

In a way, he’s both a villain and a hero. But what’s important is that everything he did was for the sake of Rin and Riki. That’s a villain I can get behind.

1 Like

I don’t believe Kengo was right by babying Riki and Rin. I didn’t want him to win the match… But Kyousuke went into the match planning to screw Kengo over.
I am being extremely harsh on Kyousuke though, because I don’t like how he did it. Selfless dedication, while admirable, is idiotic, and I know many people who have messed up their lives because of it. I don’t care about the intentions of someone who is willing to risk everything. They aren’t worth caring about.

Masato’s weakness was the whole “I am the strongest Masato” thing. That wouldn’t have happened if Kyousuke didn’t mess up in the first place.

I don’t sympathize with Kyousuke one bit. He made a bunch of wrong decisions despite his intentions, and then when it comes back to bite him he gets depressed and loses faith in his friends. That is enough reason for me to be a jerk when talking about him~ ^^

Oh, you were talking about Episode: Masato. Well, while Kyousuke may have brought that episode on, I think his goals align with Masato’s. Masato was already clear about how he wanted Riki to become stronger and form the Little Busters with his strength, that’s why he refused to play baseball in the end. Kyousuke just pushed things in the right direction by giving Riki a chance to prove his strength to Masato. Yes, Masato may have suffered, but I’m sure he understood it was necessary for their goal in the end. Masato is Kyousuke’s accomplice.

But we’re talking about someone who believed firmly he was going to die anyway. He was willing to risk everything for that selfless dedication because for the most part, he didn’t have anything to lose out of it, but he could gain confidence that Rin and Riki wouldn’t let themselves drown in despair once the Little Busters won’t be by their side anymore.

Yes, his actions were as wrong as they get and he truly was a bastard during those moment. His impatience and self-confidence in his plan led him to use something as sensible as a suicide to make Kengo lose the match and send his own sister in a school full of depressed persons, when he should have been the first to know what kind of effect it’d have on her, and broke her as a result.

But even if the way he went about maturing Rin and Riki in Rin2 was wrong, I feel like it can’t be blamed on him. If something had happened to the dream world too early, Rin and Riki would’ve been sent back to the real world without the necessary strength to take in reality. And he’s been looping again and again, so I can understand why he got impatient and forced his plan, it doesn’t particularly sounds healthy for the mind.

And depression when trying earnestly to protect the persons you care the most about feels like something natural to me at this point. The fact that he kept trying to prevent the gas leak so that the bus wouldn’t explode (before Riki and Rin ran away, at least) also tells me he didn’t give up and lose faith.

[size=7]Well, that’s my take on it at least, but what do I know, I’m writing this at nearly midnight and have never been good at debates.[/size]

Bump for inbound best boy birthday.

Have I ever said that this character is one of the most ingeniously written individuals to ever grace literature?
Because he is.

… I plan to tell you why in the near future. ;D

2 Likes

Happy Birthday Kyousuke! Thread pinned for the duration of his birthday, please share some words for him~

Little Busters are forever!!!

As I see it, Kyousuke is the perfect leader figure for the kind of group the Little Busters are. Turning it around, you can also say that the Little Busters became what they are thanks to Kyousuke.
He is an indispensable character for this VN and no one else could’ve taken his place.

Kyousuke’s burden was a heavy one and the task he had tackled was enormous. He had to turn the weak, extremely dependent Riki and Rin into people who could face the cruel fate of losing all their friends and classmates, as well as standing on their own two feet and live a normal life after that.
Before Rin2, his methods were flawless. Every new task was FUN at the beginning. He found new friends for Rin and had Riki recruit them. In exchange for having them participate in his plan, he had Riki help them deal with their regrets and face hardships. He sent letters to Rin to have her improve her social skills (and common sense). Loop by loop, Riki and Rin were slowly maturing and growing stronger.
Up to there, his methods were very fitting for those two.

But Kyousuke is not perfect. He’s just as human as anyone else. He has his own flaws and he makes mistakes. Since he held great power and responsibility, his mistakes resulted in causing a lot of damage. He grew overconfident and rushed things. With his goal in sight, he became cruel and put everything on the line.  stopped being choosy about his methods. He destroyed the Little Busters in order to proceed with his plan, making Riki and Kengo his enemies. But he still failed and ended up breaking Rin, who wasn’t up to the task he forced on her just yet.

However, Rin2 was not a complete failure. After all, Riki had sworn to become stronger. His growth was almost complete.

Left alone with his guilt, Kyousuke still refused to give up. He left the details up to Riki, only occasionally stirring things up or giving him a hint and focused on taking care of the gas leak.
Finally, Riki had succeeded in taking Kyousuke’s place and he didn’t stop there. He exceeded all expectations and together with Rin, brought about the perfect ending.

To me, Kyousuke is one of the best-written characters. He has amazing qualities, but he’s not perfect. He is a believable and relatable character.
Every group of friends should have a Kyousuke ^^

PS:
Let’s not forget that, even as a kid, Kyousuke was already a savior. He saved Rin, Masato, Kengo and Riki and made it possible for them to play like normal kids. He essentially gave them a proper childhood full of fun and happiness.

1 Like

I don’t have words to do the man justice.
He is so very dear to me, I don’t let the barriers between 2D and 3D stop me from considering him a true friend.

Alright- So, I’ve said this plenty of times now, but I find Kyousuke to be the best written Key character to date. To put this simply- What Maeda did with Kyousuke in regards to the entire story of Little Busters… It’s just, really damned amazing to me. I can’t put it into words. Reading through that entire VN and hitting Episode: Kyousuke… One of the most surreal experiences I’ve ever had reading a story.

I won’t be able to say everything the way I’d hoped to, but here goes.

Writing aside, Kyousuke is simply amazing. Other than, well, yourself- I don’t think there are many other people you should strive to be. A ‘leader’, who is really just your great friend, who makes everything fun. Live life with goals in mind, but do it with fun. Just as you do when your a child. You then take that intellectual fountain of youth, and share it with others.

Kyousuke teaches you, or at least he taught me, to never forget your childhood- Because of what makes it so memorable. One’s state of mind, imagination, what inspires them- All of these things are part of being youthful. Other than societal norms, which are BS, there is nothing stopping you from maintaining the life that ‘you wish you could go back to’. This is something I live by, and will live by, for the rest of my life. I will never forget to have fun. I will never allow myself become jaded. I will not let what society expects of me control my dreams. I will always be myself.

All of that said, though, happy birthday to Kyousuke. It’s still his birthday here in the states, so I’m not that late! lol

1 Like

Well said!

One of the things that I wanted to focus on, both with the writing aspects and the ‘societies expectations’ thing, was his speech about job hunting and the Little Busters forming a baseball team.

Being a businessman or something, as he stated, (I don’t remember the thing word for word) was something that is not of his own will. Everyone has to get a job or something similar at one point in their life. A part of ‘growing up’. So, don’t be societies tool or a puppet. Do what it is that you have to do to support yourself and always shoot for your dreams.

In the position he was in, only then can anyone truly realize the importance of being ‘youthful’.

That whole speech, seemingly just wild Kyousuke gibberish from the beginning, was so full of valuable messages. It also points towards Maeda’s shocking level of literary genius.

It bugs me how many people (the characters included) dismissed that as Kyousuke being a whimsy idiot as usual. That quote holds such a profound truth to it, they’re words that continue to guide my decisions in life.

Kengo definitely got it, but continued to lie to himself. I think Masato got it for the most part as well. Perhaps a bit too well, considering he seemed to think ahead about ‘what if something goes wrong’. Just what I took out of it. Same would apply to any other cautious person. Pursuing your dreams, first and foremost, leaves room for you to endanger that goal if you don’t accept or ponder the necessities.