Little Busters!: Episode Suginami (Fan Story)

The Suginami Appreciation Thread got a bit too cluttered with posts about my plans to write a Suginami fan-route, so I’m moving discussion of the project to here. It’s still in planning, but I’m quite serious about it.

Mission Statement: To build upon the original story of Little Busters by providing the story of Mutsumi Suginami. The original game did very little with her character and her friends; this story seeks to address that. It also seeks to resolve Mutsumi Suginami’s story for readers who were disappointed with the lack of closure for her character. It will never conflict with the established continuity, and will match the overall feel of the original work as much as possible.

In a sense, it’s not a ‘Suginami Route’, but a Suginami ‘Episode’, like with the Episodes of Refrain but on a larger scale.

I’m still deciding on the format, whether it will actually be a Visual Novel or just a written fanfiction, but it will definitely be linear. It will be told through the perspective of Suginami herself. Perspective changes may be a possibility, but majority of the story will be told through her perspective.

The central theme is ‘growing stronger’, as she is portrayed as quite a weak character, much like Riki. A brief synopsis of the plot is that Suginami is dissatisfied with her current lifestyle, and wants to change the course of her life before it’s too late. She has feelings for RIki, and wants to become closer to him, but it’s difficult for her when her friends hate the Little Busters. The first half of the story will revolve around her gaining the strength to overcome this conflict, and the latter half will revolve around her relationship with Riki and the impact the ‘secret of the world’ places on their relationship and their lives. Chronologically, it’ll take place after Kurugaya’s route but before Rin2.

I’ll use this thread to post future updates for the project and allow people to ask me questions about it and give me feedback.

2 Likes

its dangerous to go alone take these I guess

or

you don’t have to use them, I just had the inspiration and decided to throw them together.

5 Likes

Oh cool! Could use some touching up, but pretty awesome :3

Alrighty~ A while ago, when I was starting the Suginami sprites, I had a few ideas going around in my head. I doubt they will fit with what you are planning, but hopefully it can inspire you a bit~ ^^

So the big thing about Little Busters is childhood. Every character has an event in their childhood that directly impacted the happenings in the Litbus world. To keep true to the source material Suginami’s problems and dreams should be the result of something important about her past.

My idea is that Suginami was originally from a small quiet town in the countryside. Her family weren’t particularly well off finance-wise; her father - who worked as a landscaper - was the only source of income, but that was fine. A lot of people had left the town with their children in hopes of giving them a promising education from city schools.
The Suginami family were dedicated to the town. Mutsumi’s father had essentially shaped and designed the whole town… it was his life’s work. Mutsumi’s mother wanted to move to the city in hopes of a prosperous future.
While the two parents lived with conflicting ideas of the future, the town shrunk drastically. When Mutsumi was twelve years old the town school was closed, and her mother decided that it was their final chance to leave. They had to leave… with or without the father’s compliance.
Mutsumi and her mother moved away, and Mutsumi never saw her father again. Eventually they were told that he had passed away.

Mutsumi entered the local Junior high school a few months after the school year had begun, but she was left ostracized almost immediately. It wasn’t long before the snickering comments of classmates began… “She’s from the countryside, right?” “Eeeh, really? What’s she doing in the city?” “Keh, maybe she escaped from the pig pen!”
Then along came a group of three girls. A brown haired tomboy approached Mutsumi with a big grin. “It’s no fun being alone. We’re gonna do some Karaoke. Wanna come?”
Mutsumi shied away from the offer, but was eventually persuaded by another member of the group - A dark haired girl with a bubbly atmosphere around her, like an older sister.

The plan was, if the group of girls stood up against the bullies, then everyone would be impressed and reward the group with praise. Befriending Mutsumi was a good reason to get involved. Surprisingly it worked. The group called out the bullies, and managed to stop it before acting recklessly. As long as the group stood up for Mutsumi they felt important… Until Highschool. It was all quickly forgotten during the transition to highschool.
The group had no one treating them as important figures. They needed to boost their reputation and become people that everyone looked up to!
There was a girl who constantly achieved high grades without studying at all. That wasn’t fair for the rest of the class… but her name was renowned. Bully her or accept her? Both would work out… right?

Then it segues into the events explained during Litbus. The plan failed and the group continued to sour.

Then you’d have all of the present-day stuff going on. The only future events I really thought about after this was the involvement with the secret of the world’s influence.
Riki learns all this and uncovers Mutsumi’s wish to go back to the countryside and say farewell to her father. From the memories Mutsumi still remembers, Riki is able to narrow the town’s location down to two places, one of which he is familiar with. There was a countryside town where Riki and the rest of the Little Busters held a summer excursion… the house of grandfather Natsume.
Riki goes and tells his plan to Kyousuke, and asks if he would bring the rest of the Little Busters, but Kyousuke shoots down Riki’s ideas and tells him that visiting the town would be pointless.
Naturally, Riki goes anyway… and realizes something strange. Grandfather Natsume vanished. Why didn’t Kyousuke ever mention it?
Then they go down the rabbit hole. Riki bombards Kyousuke with meaningless questions that seems meaningful at the time - Kyousuke uses Lennon to try and make Mutsumi return to her group and leave Riki alone - Mutsumi has no idea what to do in the current situation.

Soooo, hopefully at least one of those ideas is inspiring in some way~ There’s probably a bunch of plot holes though… It’s been a while since I read Little Busters =w=

2 Likes

A lot of this is concurrent with ideas I already have. The image of Mutsumi being bullied and the other girls showing up to protect her is something I’ve had in mind for a while. But at the same time, I didn’t want to paint them as people to be sympathised with too much.

I don’t wanna go into too much detail here since I’m still planning everything, I think I’ll continue this in chat :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not really sympathetic~ The girls used Mutsumi as a gateway to popularity, and once the popularity stopped they were less than kind with her.

Hey Aspi did you write it yet.

It’s been on the backburner. Other projects have taken higher priority.

After finishing Kurugaya’s route recently, I’ve felt the need to lend my creative talents to address this issue. I understand how woefully underused Suginami is in Little Busters, and I’m willing to help in any way possible.

1 Like

suginami more like who

1 Like

my fan-fiction writer instinct is tingling xD

Since we don’t get to see much of her in both anime and novel, I think it’s also important to decide, or give her ‘heroine’ parameters to free her from being a background character. (much Keima huh) Take LB heroines for example. Haruka with her easy going traits and pranks, Kud with her broken English and famous catchphrase, etc.

But I come very late to this thread so I don’t know if you guys have already given her any attributes.

There are some problems if the romance is the main focus. You really have to like the heroine to like the route, otherwise it will be boring. Because of this, not all LB! fans would enjoy a route like this.

And if the romance is the main focus, it has to be really good. If it’s just "I prefer vanilla ice cream. Hm~. Let’s kiss? (kiss) " this kind of stuff, it will be boring . Just like Chisato’s route in Koichoco (I did not enjoy). They put too little focus on the heroine’s problem and more focus on the elections, the useless talking that has no relation to the route, and the fluffy (and boring romance).

What I mean by a good romance is a romance filled with drama, and the proper settings. Like confessions in the middle of the sunset, dramatic love triangles, etc. If it’s like Kotarou and Akane’s romance in Rewrite, just like: “I love you. Me too. (nothing else)” it will be not worth it.

And you also have to notice that the heroine’s problem plays usually a big role in the romance. For example, Lucia and Kotarou’s romance wouldn’t be half of what it was without Lucia’s personal drama.

Because of this, I think a romance-focused route wouldn’t work very well.

And here I am, thinking about how much I love Kud’s route but dislike the heroine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You and I are thinking of the same thing. Specifically, we need to delve in to why Suginami fell in love with Riki, how Riki feels conflicted about her feelings, add in some insecurities here and there… Well, the writers can iron out the details lol

Suginami doesn’t have much of a problem… yet. At least, until whoever writes it.

Everything is still up in the air as of the moment, and I was just voicing my desires regarding this route :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This only applies to romance-focused routes. Kud’s route had romance, but it was more plot-focused. I also didn’t like Akane from Rewrite, but I liked her route. But I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have liked it if its focus was on the romance.

Well, this can work. I see no problem with it. I just think that VN routes aren’t just romance, because all the routes would end up being the same thing. But if it’s once in a while, there’s no problem.

I already have some idea of why Suginami fell in love with Riki. Hopefully it satisfies~

2 Likes

I don’t know why there has to be a reason for it. When I fall in love, it has no reason at all. It’s not like: she’s beautiful, talented, intelligent, so I’m gonna love her. I just simply fall in love randomly. After my love disease is healed I always ask myself : why did I fall for that girl? And I can never find an answer. I think love has no reason, it’s something emotional and unexplainable.

Yeah, I get that. But I like to think that there’s something there which causes that attraction in the first place. Something you and the other person share which causes feelings to develop for each other. Something like common values or a common understanding which forms that connection.

2 Likes

There’s soooo much more to romance than just being the same thing. My best example is the Kyou route from Clannad. That was purely romance-focused and pretty different from the usual sorts of romance you see in Visual Novels. I have so many potential ideas for romance in Suginami’s route, as well XD

It’s pretty hard to expect the situations you’ve been into to also apply to other people. People are different, and while you may not be able to find reason in your attraction, I might think otherwise. And so would any other characters in a story.

I think I get what you mean. There is a reason, but this doesn’t mean Riki and/or Suginami know that.

Perhaps this happened to me too. The one who loves is never able to tell why he fell in love, because he can’t disconnect the emotional aspect. I could never understand why I fell (more than once) for my childhood friend (more childhood than friend), because I actually think she’s a bitch, but despite that, I fell for her

There are many ways to present romance, but don’t you think these many ways would get overused some day if all VN routes were romance-focused? Since there’s a limited number of romance plots, it would end up being basically the same thing not among all the routes, but among groups of them.

I think if you can tell why you’re in love, then you’re not in love. Love is an emotion, not an equation. It can’t be linked to logic or reason if you’re the one feeling it.

Have you read many romance VNs? They all start to blur together in my mind.
Generally they are a compilation of the same stories with ___ drama moment or ___ fantasy plot device.

That… doesn’t make sense. Emotions ARE linked to logic and reason.
I’m angry because that guy overtook me.
I’m happy because the weather is nice.
I love because the time we spend together is enjoyable.
I hate because the time we spend together is unbearable.

An unexplained emotion is an uncertain emotion. Follow uncertain emotions and ruin yourself.

1 Like