Little Busters English Edition Features Detailed! Could this be the definitive release?

VisualArts’ head of public relations Yoshikuni Toyoizumi (aka Kudokou) recently posted his company update on Akibablog, detailing all of VisualArt’s immediate plans for the future, in particular pertaining to their western expansion. Included in the blog is our first look at Little Busters! English Edition’s new features! But before we get into that, I’d like to talk a little bit about what lead us to this point through my personal story. Feel free to skip the next three paragraphs if you just want the news.

The series that first got me truly excited about Key and wanting to become involved in the fandom was Little Busters. Back in the days of the Fluffy translation project, I found myself frequenting their IRC channel, which is how I met Kaza’s webmaster Uppfinnarn/Technololigy. On top of that I also spent a lot of time interacting with fans via the #LittleBusters hashtag on Twitter, through which we developed a small, tight-knit community. Since then the Little Busters anime has been released which introduced many more people to the world of Little Busters, and now the fandom is so much bigger. Step a little further forward into February 2014, and after speaking with a small number of fellow Key fans on Twitter, Uppfinnarn and I decided to create Kazamatsuri. Basically, Kazamatsuri would not exist without Little Busters!

From there, VisualArt’s had surprised us by releasing planetarian on Steam, which paved the way for CLANNAD and other works to be released on Steam as well. Up until this point, seeing Key games on Steam felt like a distant dream, but all of a sudden it started seeming more and more realistic that Little Busters would be released on Steam sooner or later. We soon caught word that VisualArt’s were planning to bring Little Busters to Steam with the help of Fruitbat Factory, who you may know as the localisers of 100% Orange Juice, who just so happen to be made up of former Fluffy members, the same team that produced the fan translation of Little Busters! The future looked bright, but one more question remained.

Would Little Busters receive the adaptation it deserved, or would it get a lazy port? While it may not matter to some, playing Visual Novels in Standard Definition can be a deterrent to many audiences since the heavy majority of games on Steam are released with HD resolutions as standard. We didn’t want Little Busters to be an afterthought; we wanted it to receive the same level of work and dedication that the CLANNAD release did. To that end, I myself met with VisualArts’ Kudkou and president Baba Takahiro at character1 last year to ask that they consider giving Little Busters the HD treatment, proposing that they re-use the assets from the console ports of Little Busters. At the time my proposal was met with an indeterminate “It’ll be tough, but we’ll consider it”, so things were left up in the air. Until now.

I am happy to report that our mission was successful! Little Busters! English Edition will indeed be released with the option to play in 1280x720 resolution! Not only that, but they’re currently working on the ability to swap between 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios, so everybody can play in the format they prefer! No longer will people have to fight over which aspect ratio is ideal to play in. But don’t let the name mislead you, this isn’t merely an ‘English Edition’, because readers will also have the option to switch to Japanese at any time! This will allow VisualArt’s to market the release to Japan as the ‘Definitive Little Busters experience on PC’, and also allow overseas readers to check the original Japanese script if they ever feel the need! (or to nit-pick the translation) And last but not least, Little Busters! English Edition will be compatible with touch controls, meaning you can play on any touch-enabled windows device! I think we can safely assume this isn’t running on the RealLive engine anymore; VisualArt’s and Prototype have really pulled out all the stops with this release. English-speaking fans rejoice, we’re finally receiving the Little Busters we always dreamed of! And we hope it will introduce many more new readers to join our circle of fans. I think Kudokou summed up everything pretty well with this quote:

"When overseas users become happy, VisualArt’s will become happy. When VisualArt’s becomes happy, Japanese users will become happy too. And when Japanese users become happy, overseas users will become happy… It’s a happiness spiral!"

If you happen to be in Tokyo on the 30th of April, you can try out Little Busters! English Edition running on a Microsoft Surface at Prototype’s booth at character1! We may learn yet more details about the release then, as we plan on sending our very own RyuuTamotsu over to investigate. In the meantime, you can follow the progress of our “#LittleBusters Hype Van” on our forum topic and on Twitter. We’re hosting a number of giveaways and promotions on Twitter to celebrate Little Busters in the weeks leading up to release, so be sure to join in and spread the word! We hope you’ll all join us in reading the visual novel for our Bookclub once the game launches. The Little Busters are almost here!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://kazamatsuri.org/little-busters-english-edition-features-detailed/
12 Likes

Honestly glad to see Little Busters is getting the same care CLANNAD did even if it doesn’t have the same amount of popularity and reputation as it. I’d been a bit worried the release would’ve been somewhat taken care of quickly just so that it’d be out of the way seeing how the majority of its fanbase didn’t discover KEY with it, but the fact that Visual Arts actually acknowledges it’s a fan favourite rivalling CLANNAD is excellent news.

And hey.

HD Kyousuke.

:kyog:

1 Like

Oh man. I want to play this already Xx

1 Like

I think I heard that is going to be possible change the language to japanese whitout need of reinstall the whole game.

Edit: Ok, after reading more carefully now I feel a bit like a idiot :yahaha: :wtf:

1 Like

Yep.

Yes, hence the “switching” part. It’ll probably just be a toggle button or something. :umu:

Edit: Greninja’d.

I can’t wait to play it! It’s great that Key has embraced their Western audience and is going all out with their steam releases. I like the idea of being able to switch between English and Japanese. I’m learning Japanese and it helps a lot when you can switch back and forth between languages.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to play it, the wait is almost over.

Although the changes VisualArt’s and Prototype made suggests that the Little Busters! English Edition won’t be running on Reallive, a part of me wants it to be ran on it, for personal reasons :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If they really did change up the engine I take it it would probably be in Siglus? At first I was worried there may be bugs from rebuilding it from the ground up, but if they’ve put thus much care into the other parts of the release they’d probably make sure it is coded properly.

Welp, I’m anxious to see what it’s running on. I’m not used to Key games feeling modern.

1 Like

DOKI DOKI FUCKING SURU.

1 Like

That’s quite amazing they’re having it as 1280x720 resolution. I’m very happy that VisualArt’s and Prototype took their time to make it even more exciting for all of us to experience Little Busters once again. I’m definitely looking forward to it! The features sound quite remarkable switching between Japanese and English to get even more experience with the VN. Good news all around! This has been one remarkable year for Key! Let’s hope everyone that enjoys reading it again and those that read it for the first time will have a great time with this edition! :happy:

I’m probably a bit biased considering I’ve been playing all my VNs on a windows tablet recently, but I absolutely love that they’re optimizing it for tablets! You’d think VNs would natively work perfectly on tablets but there are some issues; the biggest one being there is no sane way to view your text backlog as that is usually done with a mouse wheel or keyboard commands, both of which are not easily accessible when on tablet mode. So some gestures like sliding to view previous text would be appreciated!

Here’s to looking forward to rubbing my screen in front of HD Kyousuke :kyog:

2 Likes

I am so excited about this! Can’t wait for the Book club <3 and now it’ll be in HD too! Yaay!

Yesss I am also very excited for this - I’m gonna be playing it on a tablet too, mostly on the train to work! LB was actually one of the things that pushed me towards buying a tablet!

1 Like

Ahhh I’ll be able to experience LB! in HD and all that cool! Really, I’m excited! I’d crack some LB! joke, but I’m new to that work, so I don’t have one.

Saya’s minigame should actually be a lot easier on tablet, but how in the world would you play baseball? On PC that game uses 6 buttons: Arrow keys, CTRL, and Left click.

2 Likes

Hopefully they’ll solve that! Maybe a button in settings for touch mode, and then it might just use virtual keys.

This is pretty exciting. It’s been a blur from how we got from Planetarian’s release to this point, and especially at a better resolution.

So I guess we wait and see what else is planned here. I think there is at least something else they have in store for this release.