Key's Self-References

Kanon snow bunnies in Planetarian anime ED? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

There was also a Saito in Charlotte

Interesting…

I am going to be playing through Air and am currently playing though Rewrite, I will keep my eyes open for any references there as well.

Rewrite didn’t have anything written by Maeda so I don’t think there’s a Saito there.

From Kotori’s route:

Close enough, I’m counting this. I shouldn’t, but I am.

8 Likes

I don’t know if it was already mentionned earlier in here but Rewrite Side-R seriously had lots of references. There was a Dango Daikazoku logo on that box Chihaya held when she first appeared, and Kotarou found a magazine titled “Masato’s muscles or something” when he looked for Kotori in the forest (in the beginning) and remember that guy who controlled a puppet and made Akane spit the juice she was drinking?, they made sure that he looked exactly like Yukito, the puppet too. There’s also an OMAKE in one of the volumes where the heroines wore the other Key uniforms. If I remember correctly, it was like this: Kanon’s for Kotori and Air’s for Chihaya (or the opposite, I don’t remember that well), Clannad’s for Shizuru, Little Busters for Lucia (she wore it exactly like Kurugaya just so you know) and Angel Beats’s for Akane (no, not the school’s but the after life battle front or whatever is its name). There were other references but I have to read it again to find them.

2 Likes

Oh that’s pretty interesting! I’ve never read Rewrite Side-R nor Side-B so it’s fun to see them do that sort of thing.

Heck, I’d say that Rewrite in general has the most self-references out of any other key work

2 Likes

Guess we have our Rewrite - Kanon connection!

15 Likes

I knew I remembered those names from somewhere!

Although this is still both Rewrite related, they referenced the seperate SiglusEngine benchmark they made for Rewrite, in the anime! It’s was a program that tested if your computer is good enough to play Rewrite.

(It goes a bit crazy with modern computers :P)

9 Likes

Rewrite Anime, first episode. In her introduction scene, Chihaya says “Auu”, just like Sawatari Makoto in Kanon, who Chihaya’s design was (probably) inspired by.

6 Likes

Don’t forgot the legendary cafe Key.

1 Like

I FINALLY got around to playing Clannad, and saw this:

In the lower left corner you can see Keropii from Kanon holding a… key :V

10 Likes

Key has a hot sauce now.

9 Likes

they have everything mang

1 Like

I had a similar thought too, back when I first discovered Clannad and AB! four years ago–the Illusionary World just seemed too much like the Afterlife Academy to be unrelated. Even the characteristic light orbs linking the Illusionary World to Hikarizaka also appear in AB!: Not just in the opening titles either; one of them can also be seen in the final shot before the end credits of episode thirteen, rising up from the exact spot where Kanade just vanished from.
Coincidence? Meh, maybe. Connected universe? I suppose you can believe that if you want. What’s more likely though? Simple: The writers have a certain set of ideas they like exploring (plus they also clearly hold a lot of appeal with audiences, so why abandon them?).

What about in Kanon 2002 when Kitagawa is wearing a CLANNAD hoodie?

9 Likes

Wait, what? when was Clannad even announced? surely key wouldn’t refer to a game that hadn’t even come out yet?

Clannad was announced in 2001 and was originally planned to launch in 2002. Numerous delays, however, postponed it until 2004. With that in mind, I think Toei would have been able to throw in a nifty reference like that.

3 Likes

In Kanon 2006 remake:

MOON reference when Ayu and Yuuichi go to the movie:

AIR reference

6 Likes