Key Sounds Label - Music Discussion

Wow that’s really cool! Great to see Maeda finally opening up on Twitter.

It’s definitely nice to see Maeda sharing all those prototypes of his :smiley: You can definitely feel they’re a bit rough around the edges, but that makes them all the more pleasing to listen to.

MUH DICK THO.

That melody is never not great.

2 Likes

Hey Kazamatsuri,

So on my usual browsing for songs, I came across this gem that that I thought was relevant. I apologise in advance if this has been posted before, but it doesn’t seem to have gotten much publicity and I thought it was too good not to share…

Composed by the man Jun Maeda himself, and sang by Yanagi Nagi, an excellent vocalist and also a prolific composer in her own right.

It’s a beautiful number in my opinion, so calm and serene. The artwork is just as gorgeous, it would be great if it was actually made a full VN. I get strong Narcissu vibes from it, but it would be interesting to see if and how Maeda might take the hospital setting forward.

What are everyone’s thoughts?

3 Likes

I own this album! Owari no Hoshi no Love Song…
It’s from 2012 I think, but I discovered it around two years ago.
Last Smile is one of my favorite songs from the album, it’s calm and peaceful and warm.
I also really love Flower Garden, Muteki na Soldier, and Hero no Jouken. The whole album is amazing though.

I hope Jun Maeda makes another album like this in the future.

He did an album with her.

There’s the Wikipedia page if you want some more info on it. Another song titled “Owari No Sekai Kara” which is in the album, is the most popular one.

You can just discuss it in the music threads, whether you’re discussing it on the Key Sound Label thread, or the Overall Music Discussion thread.

Or you can create your own thread for the Owari No Hoshi No Love Song album.

I love this song. It’s probably my favorite song from the album Owari no Hoshi no Love Song album. Very calm and melancholic, and the visuals for the video really fit tone for the song.

This is the second time I heard this song “Last Smile”. It’s very heart-warming and peaceful with the characters side-by-side as the boy visited the girl every day in the hospital. I’m reminded how beautiful the song is and Yanagi Nagi does an awesome job with her vocals. I do believe it stands the test of time when loved ones we care about are undergoing medical problems in their life that we’re always there to be by their side and enjoy each one’s company in comforting them in any way possible. That’s what I got from this song.

I’m pretty interested in the album itself so I might end up taking a look at the other songs they have on there as well.

1 Like

I definitely recommend looking more into the album. Since it’s a concept album, all of the songs are loosely related (they all take place in the same “broken world”, and it ties together in the track Hero no Jouken) and have similar themes. A lot of the songs are really sad but some of them are a bit hopeful. In any case, I think it’s a really beautiful album.

1 Like

Well this seems like one hell of a three disc re-arrange of various Key songs.

5 Likes

1st disk (which looks like a simple tribute to GirlDemo) ain’t bad, I guess…
But the 2nd disk is just meh. Sounds extremely wrong, at least for me. “Word of Dawn”, “Kaze no Tadoritsuku Basho”, and “TORCH” are so bad, that I can’t even describe it…

As I am super excited for this release, allow me to give my opinions on the tracks.

For disc 1, I don’t have much to say because it was already released with the KSL Live 2015 Pamphlet but… Let’s just say I was reminded as to why this was one of my favorite Key remix albums :wink:

Now for Disc 2:

1. Very dance-y track and surprisingly fits the song well
  2. Sounds like a classic Freezer hard dance track. Not too fond of it, but it’s good!
  3. LU-I has been doing an awesome job with his previous remixes, and this is no exception. Would love to see more of him in the future! Loving the future and electro vibes from it
  4. Never in my mind would I have expected enjoying a dubstep remix of this song but it’s here and I like it. Props to Hedonist for thinking it up.
  5. Masayoshi MInoshima went pretty trap on this one; unfortunately I don’t like trap that much
  6. Took them long enough to make a trance version of Farewell Song. Fairly expected but also kinda boring.
  7. Unexpected to see them doing a song from Ayaka’s solo album. Not much to say about the remix tho. It’s alright.
  8. Woah Nizikawa calm the fuck down. Also did not expect this with Gentle Jena. I can imagine some people thinking it ruins the song, but I can appreciate it.
  9. At this point I think I will love Sasayaka na Hajimari no matter the form it ends up in.
  10. Ballad turned UK dance track? I like what they did but them speeding up Suzuyu’s vocals doesn’t fit well with me.

Disc 3:

1. Pretty hype remix. Good buildup in the preview, especially!
  2. Kinda standard happy hardcore vibe to it. I’ll probably like it for the first 2-3 listens lol.
  3. Gets better and better as it goes by. Too bad they cut it right at the drop :’(
  4. I’ve always been a fan of Getty, and I love the future bass vibe he put in this remix. Kinda biased in both ways (genre and producer) lol.
  5. This is classic you style. I like classic you style. I only wish he replaced the vocals with his mainstay vocalist nayuta instead :kudshock:
  6. Took the album long enough to have a d’n’b track. Lots going on but it blends well with the vocals.
  7. LU-I takes the cake again, making an uplifting trance version of a very uplifting song. Also not boring trance! Thanks LU-I!
  8. Admittedly never heard of Shouya Namai; but I like this. Fast pace contrasts well with the slow vocals, surprisingly.
  9. BlackY is BlackY is BlackY lol. Not even surprised with the piano backing, but it starts to sound like all his other songs.
  10. Unlike the previous disc, the speedup of the vocals on this track is less cringe-y, and it ends up less fast-paced than expected. I think this one’ll have to grow on me.

Overall a very solid album, and it really feels like the kind of album that doujin music circles would produce. I was already sold when they announced it, but this solidifies my convictions.

3 Likes

I mean, we ARE planning to host a Bookclub for the Love Song albums soon hopefully :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’m not really fond of electro remixes, but I honestly thought that they made Kimi to no Nakushi Mono sound better. I skipped on Disc 1 because I haven’t really checked out the tracks in AB! yet, but favorite in Disc 2 must be Sasayaka na Hajimari; they made it sound really good. :))

He also posted Yakeochita Tsubasa, original song of Yakeochinai Tsubasa.

https://twitter.com/jun_tenhou/status/831817716076003328
Translation: I would like to upload Yakeochita Tsubasa which was requested repeatedly because Yoshida allowed it. This song is the original song of Charlotte’s ED. I made it when I was a college student. The last high point of the song “Sora ga kuzureochi bokura ha nemuru~” was Yoshida’s ad-lib and the section is used for Charlotte’s ED.

(Yoshida is his dearest friend. He sung for Maeda’s song when they are in college. You can know more about him by listening to Satsubatsu Radio by Maeda)
The sound seems to be deleted by 26th May, so it is recommended to download it if you want.

9 Likes

Ahh I love all these old versions of tracks so much, I hope he continues to release stuff like this.
I’m super hype for literally any music he releases.

1 Like

So I feel like making semi-wild guesses on who composed/arranged the anime-only OSTs in Rewrite. I’ll get back here if they ever release an album for those (which will be great because those are some damn fine tracks), just to see how on point these guesses are.

• For the first track used, the anime-original Kagari theme, my bet is that Ryou Mizutsuki arranged it. She seems to have a strong inclination to piano that sometimes lead up to something big (ahem Scene Shifts There ahem), and the (vaguely jazzy) country waltz-like music that the piece builds up to sounds similar to her usual style. Also, violin melodies. My second bet is Tomohiro Takeshita.
  • The neat arrangement of Kari that showed up in Episode 13 might still be arranged by the composer herself, Maiko Iuchi, considering her inclination to electronic music that is matched by her background as an I’ve Sound composer.
  • The piano arrangements for End of the World and Last Desire might also be Mizutsuki’s, seeing how she often arranges Key OSTs to piano.
  • The piano piece that was used in Episode 14 where Kotarou was reminiscing had a Mizutsuki flavor to it, so there’s my guess.
  • The acoustic guitar track first used in Episode 18 sounds like something Shinji Orito would compose. It adds that it has a similar flavor to Harmonia’s Oppidum.
  • The cool Retribution arrangement that was first used in Episode 20 sounds like the composer himself, Orito, also did the arrangement. For a track that carries a lot of weight, there’s an air of simplicity to how it was crafted, which sounds just about Orito’s style.
  • If there’s going to be an orgel music in the final episode, I’m betting that it’s Orito. Or Takeshita because Towa no Hoshi e.
2 Likes

It’s really hard to choose a favorite when it comes to key sounds label but still those are the BGMs I love the most:

CLANNAD : Ushio,country train,to the same height
Little busters : Song for friends, ring ring ring
Air : Aozora
Kanon : Last regrets
Angel beats : Brave song
Tomoyo after : Light colours
Rewrite :rewrite, komiubi

2 Likes

Every time i visited itunes one thing bugged me, the price of the music albums. You wont believe me but it costs 2$ per album (average) in india whereas its its like 12 to 15$ (CLANNAD OST) in the US. I would like to know if there are other countries with the same pricing.

The CLANNAD OST is £15 on iTunes (UK) which must be over US$20!