Key Pairings Topic

It’s time…

Discuss your favorite pairing of Key works. Official or non-official couple is fine! Romantic couple or non romantic couple is fine! OTP is fine! Crossover pairing is fine! Homo or no homo is fine! CAT IS FINE TOO!

Tell your reason why do you ship them together, why do you think they can go well together, or if those couple has “official” hints etc. You can even link to the fanart thread to show how many artists out there who support your favorite pairing.

DISCUSSION START!

6 Likes

Masato x Kagari is best pair

C’mon, how do you think the muscle sensation actually happened? Let’s be real here.

7 Likes

I’m sure muscle sensation is a better way to save the earth than having us to rely on boobs!

1 Like

Best pair. Masakaga coming soon to a fanfic near you! (probably not)

16 Likes

There are far too many to choose from so I’ll just compartmentalise some of my favorites.

For comedic pairing - I’m going to go with Yohei & Tomoyo. The air-headedness of both these characters accompanied by the contrast in their social presentations, both of them seemingly clueless of the status of their conversation has lead to some of the most hilarious moments.

Romantic pairing - Kotarou & Lucia. I thought these two went together quite well, but I’m a little hesitant to put this here. I keep thinking that Kotarou is replaceable by anyone else with the Rewrite ability.

Bromantic Pairing - Yohei & Tomoya. Not many words are ever exchanged between these two besides from the daily vapid banter, while keeping quite a distance from each other’s personal lives, a deep understanding between the two is becomes quite apparent as the story progresses.

5 Likes

I’m gonna add Kyou for triple the torture play! I mean- the fun!

If anyone wonders, my OTP is

Sanae Hyper Rainbow Bread x Akiko Jam

7 Likes

I just spit cereal on my laptop.

I literally did. Oh my god.

Anyways my best OTPs are as follows:
Yuri x Kyousuke for the main cross one.

Masami x Hisako and Yuri x Hinata are the highest tier OTPs on my list though.

1 Like

Tomoya x Tomoyo is my all-time favorite Key pairing. No contest.

For other romantic pairings, I also liked Sanae x Akio (duh), Kotarou x Lucia and ironically Tomoya x Nagisa.

Bromantic pairings, well the foursome of the original Little Busters is pretty much unbeatable. Though honorable mention to Tomoya and Sunohara. They have such a good friendship.

3 Likes

Yeah I can totally see Kyousuke x Yuri. I’m gonna name 'em Mission Operation Start.

I for some reason also into Hinata x Yuri. What happened in ep. 10 was quite shocking to me, because I can only see Hinata and Yui being siblings than romantic couple. Though I don’t hate Hinata x Yui, Hinata x Yuri seems to be more logical for me. BUT LOVE DOESN’T NEED LOGIC!

Little Busters group is the best friend circle ever, but I think Tomoya and Youhei have a really deep friendship that it cannot be explained by mere words. In this poll, Youhei is listed in the fourth rank of “Anime Character You’d Like Be Your Friend” and in the other poll he is listed in the third rank as “Game Character You’d Like Be Your Friend”. You know, Youhei is really the greatest buddy.

1 Like

Wow, I had no idea Sunohara was so popular in Japan… And yet VisualArt’s still refuses to acknowledge the male characters with merchandise ^^;

oh, how I have been waiting for this, but I will keep this short.

KudxMasato is definitly my OTP. They were made for each other, each of them kinda makes up for the weakness of the other and let’s face it, they look so cute together.

Other then that there is also KyosukexKomari, I just cant decribe why, but I want them to be together and we all know, I am not the only one.

4 Likes

If you’re waiting for this why didn’t you start a thread!??!?!
LOL Just kidding. I guess eventually someone will make this thread too, but I took the initiative to be the first one.

I can totally see why people ship Masato x Kud. And Kyousuke x Komari too. Actually on my first playthrough of Little Busters! I hit those pairings on Kurugaya’s route Loli Loli Love Hunters (along with Kengo x Mio). For MasaKud, it got triggered even more in the Easter Egg (which features Masato - in Kud’s route).

As for KyouKoma (or KyouMari?) I do feel like they fit with each other, because Komari was looking for a big brother figure, and who else we have if it’s not Kyousuke? Also, it must be noted that in Komari’s route, the parfait and the cafe (for Riki and Komari’s date) was specially reserved by Kyousuke.

Another plus is LB! 4koma. Basically Sasagiri Yuuya ships them so hard (both MasaKud and KyouMari). And, yeah, those pairings are quite popular. It’s not rare to see fanworks featuring those couple. Misaki Juri, too, created several fancomic featuring KyouMari.

4 Likes

Before I start, I do not believe such a thing as an official couple exists in Key games. Sure, a story may have a focus on a particular pair, but because of the way visual novels work, it’s possible for the protagonist to be in a romantic relationship with any of the girls. Even After Story would not count because while Ushio’s intention is to send his father back to where he first met Nagisa and help collect gratitude crystals (shameless Zelda reference FTW), she still risks the possibility of Tomoya choosing to be with another girl instead, thereby changing the timeline and putting an end to Ushio’s existence. Even the anime acknowledges this. So, ranting aside, time to post my favorite ships! <3

Yuuichi x Ayu - Obvious enough, because they’re my favorite characters in Kanon. They work off each other so well, and while it seems like they hate each other, in the end, they enjoy each other’s company.

Yuuichi x Sayuri - While her route was a thirty-minute exposition dump, I really wish there were more to that. Sayuri is one of the strongest-willed heroines I’ve seen in a visual novel, and it would have been really nice to have seen them get together. Even Mai ships them. XD

Yuuichi x Shiori - Shiori’s a nice enough girl. Although their relationship is somewhat tested by Shiori’s imminent death, they’re still enjoyable to watch. This pairing is also the source of my favorite quote in the game, “The power of ‘uguu’ shall protect you.” XD

Tomoya x Nagisa - As much as I hate the idea of canon pairings, a recent rewatch of the anime made me believe this pairing was legitimately cute. Maeda spent a lot of time working on this particular pairing, and he’s executed it beautifully. It’s one of the reasons I’m so madly in love with Maeda’s style of writing, and I still treasure it today. It’s not my favorite pairing, though…

Tomoya x Fuko - This couple is so cute together…I can’t put it into words. It’s functionally similar to Yuuichi x Ayu, in the fact that they both view each other as freaks, and they have a lot of similar characteristics. Since I like the aforementioned pairing so much, it’s no surprise I really like this one, too.

Tomoya x Kotomi - Kotomi is one of those heroines that doesn’t like to stand out, so I’m guessing that’s why I don’t hear a lot of people talk about her or this ship. I genuinely like Kotomi, both her and her arc. That being said, I don’t think she has much of a chance with Tomoya, because he has two other interesting heroines after him. I can only think, what if…

Tomoya x Kyou - This is the last CLANNAD pairing, I swear. When I first watched the anime, I really hated Kyou. She was the seed that grew into a deep hatred for tsunderes in general. But after rewatching the anime again…I actually think Kyou isn’t all that bad. Now that I’ve seen worse tsunderes, Kyou is actually bearable, and she actually does show some sort of legitimate friendliness toward Tomoya. I think this pair is legit enough, but again, Tomoya x Fuko is still my favorite.

Yui x Hinata - I made a Facebook post about this pairing fairly recently, so I’ll just quote that: “You know what? Who cares that the whole thing was a Deus Ex Machina created specifically to bring an end to Yui’s arc, as well as to keep Otanashi free for the two main heroines? Who cares that there was almost no development between these two characters whatsoever during the few minutes they were onscreen together?” This pairing is awesome, and I really hope Angel Beats! 1st Beat makes this pairing even more believable! (Aside from the obvious Otanashi x Yui ship, that is.) :3

Otanashi x Angel - Now, I really like kuuderes. They make themselves to be silent, yet seemingly harmless. But then you discover that it isn’t really their fault, and that they have a sharp side to themselves. Angel is one of those people. She feels detached from everyone because whenever she makes friends with someone, she unintentionally helps them pass on. She accepts this fact, and decides not to stay attached to people. That is, until she meets Otanashi, a clueless idiot/extreme doormat who takes an interest in her. This eventually develops into the relationship we see at the end of the anime. While I could call this canon, keep in mind that the story was butchered and rushed to completion, so we don’t exactly know what Maeda’s true intentions were with this pairing. I can’t wait to find out.

And that’s it for right now. I’ll probably have more ships ready for launch after Little Busters! comes in the mail. =)

1 Like

I with you @Karifean . My favorite pair is Tomoya x Tomoyo too period.

Then I can imagine Tomoya x Mei for some reason, they go really well with each other (imo)
Below Ill name a couple of pairings I really like to ship.

Otononashi x Yuri - well I guess that is not really a suprise to anyone hehe
Kotarou x Shizuru - I feel like Shizuru is that kind of girl that she really needs a bf like Kotarou. Well I know how she is like, but mostly speaking of her as a “normal” girl. It makes me smile imagining them being together lol.
Sunohara x Kyou - Maybe Kyou is that kind of type that would kill a guy like Sunohara, maybe she really hates him, but at some scenes it just looks like they can get along so well. I can so imagine them being together (including that Sunohara would totally change into a different person after going out with Kyou)
Aaaaand much more but these are the ones that I really support :stuck_out_tongue:

As for comedic pair, that would be definitely Sunohara x Haruka - oh my god :'D

1 Like

Key’s games are targeted for the bishoujo market (unmarried teenage-to-early-20’s male nerds), so the merchandise reflects the demand. I know there are women who like Key visual novels, but they’re not a big enough audience to reflect demand.

2 Likes

I can assure that Hinata and Yuri are 10000000% bros. Like, probably the broest characters in Key history.

4 Likes

So Cat is fine…but how about Yukito and Potato? Piko piko?

[quote=“IkaCZ, post:14, topic:830”]
Sunohara x Kyou[/quote]
I think this pairing will work well, too. Although I don’t like when Kyou flirted with him just because she tried to hide her feelings for Tomoya in her route but generally I think they’re fit with each other.

A dog or potato is fine too! (But I’m sure Potato isn’t really a dog. What kind of dog barks piko piko?? Maybe he’s some kind of familiar like Chibi Moth… Or just magical beings.)

1 Like

Who says the bishoujo market wouldn’t buy figures of males they admire? I think you’d be surprised how well a Kyousuke figure would sell.

2 Likes

The problem is not whether it’s a male figure or not. IT’S KYOUSUKE. Even straight guys want him.

3 Likes