Key Games Translation Status Updates

That’s in Shizuru’s scenario? I can’t find it.

Chihaya’s scenario.

Here’s the context, sorry about that.

//<0552> 瑚太朗
<0552> Kotarou
//<0553> (…静流!)
<0553> (…Shizuru!)
//<0554> 静流にアイコンタクトを送った。
<0554> I make eye contact with Shizuru.
//<0555> 静流
<0555> Shizuru
//<0556> 「?」
<0556> 「?」
//<0557> 瑚太朗
<0557> Kotarou
//<0558> (井上を止めてくれ! できればこの件からは完全に手を引くように!)
<0558> (Stop Inoue! Make it so she stays as far away from this as possible!)
//<0559> 静流
<0559> Shizuru
//<0560> 「………」
<0560> 「…」
//<0561> 困っているようだ。
<0561> She looks troubled.
//<0562> 最近、静流とのフラグが折れたせいかアイコンタクトの精度がガタ落ちしている。
<0562> Our eye contact is a lot less precise than it used to be, maybe because I missed a lot of her flags.
//<0563> アイコンタクトには愛情度が最も重要だ。ゆえにサッカーは薄い本が多いってばっちゃが言っていた。
<0563> Love is vital to making eye contact work. An old lady once said that’s why most books on soccer are so thin.
// something’s not right with this line, but looking up all the words multiple times hasn’t revealed anything ~IX
// soccer players look downward to the ground/ball all the time so they suck at making eye contact? Maybe that makes their biographies thin. - Raide

That logic? :open_mouth:

Any ball-sport players would concentrate more on the balls than anything else. Do you expect eye contact from someone running and busy figuring how to control (or return) the ball with another players meters away. Yet eye contacts occasionaly used when signalling when and who to pass, etc.

What about the love?

I don’t see any misstranslations either, just that the joke is really weird. I have no idea what the logic behind it is supposed to be.

Maybe the football players reference is correct (about eye contact) when the sentence is considered in context with previous line .

To be able to read what other people think with only eye contact and facial expressions, you definitely need to understand said people very much. Hence the first part. (btw, is “aijō” usually translated as “love”?)

When moving to second part, the hell with old lady and books on soccer? I think it may be a case of bad sentence splitting. I’m not really sure where the “old lady” came from.

Closest translation I can manage while still make sense is “Therefore I have many batch of very thin soccer books”. In context or not is entirely different matter. :smiley:

My Japanese is really bad. -_-

“old lady” is shortened from ばあちぁん(Baachan) into ばっちぁ(bacchia- I actually have no idea how you’d write that in romaji) The second sentence is structured like a quote:

[“ゆえにサッカーは薄い本が多いっ”] [てばっちゃが言っていた]
[“Therefore many soccer books are thin”] [is what an old lady said]

1 Like

I think old lady is written as “ばあちゃん”.

But when split like that, actually the phrase is very common. My bad.

A case of jokes unusual for our culture[s]?

I think Aspi is actually right. I looked up eye contact in a Japanese dictionary and interestingly enough, got this as an example
サッカーで,連携した動きを行うために,選手どうしが目と目を合わせて意思の疎通を図ること
I’m going to assume this is a common example in Japanese culture, which would mean they connect soccer and eye contact together much easier. Since soccer is basically all about eye contact, it is all about love, which you can’t explain in words (I guess this part is the biggest leap in logic…maybe that love needs no words or some other corny explanation like that). So soccer books don’t have much to say at all and end up being thin.

Incidentally,

as someone who used to play a lot of soccer and basketball, focusing on the ball is what you absolutely don’t want to do. Majority of people do it simply due to lack of skill (including myself), but ideally you can control the ball without looking at it, allowing you to actually pay attention to the things around you.

4 Likes

You’re right.

I’m usually play as goalkeeper, so I may view it at a little different way. Still, I didn’t view that as “eye contact” in the sense we are discussing here. That’s more like situational awareness and coordination by understanding the code given by others (including eye contact).

The purpose of the sentence is to convey a meaning, so if the reader is familiar to a concept then the discussion on the concept itself is kinda moot.

I think the context of the line is that love is needed to make eye contact works, and not the other way around (which is relevant in Shizurus’ case since that’s how Kotaro usually read her thoughts). That way, it’s harder to connect each phrase in a meaningful way.

Without love, the ball cannot be seen.

6 Likes

Pfft don’t be silly. Clearly the best tactic is to have every player on the field chase after whoever has the ball!

Eye contact is pretty big as a goalkeeper~

Maybe it’s saying that you need to love playing soccer to have good awareness.

1 Like

Shizuru route finished

6 Likes

Indeed. I’m going to make it a point to read Lucia/LuciaHF tonight/tomorrow, and have Shizuru done by the end of the week.

The closer Ixrec gets to finishing everything, the closer I want to be to where he is so that the QC isn’t lagging horribly behind the TL.

3 Likes

You are a very good man

Working on QCing Lucia Festa right now. Just has this gem popup and I felt the need to share.

(Lucia HF…ish. Nothing of importance.) (General Rewrite) (Lucia Rewrite Reference) (Shizuru Rewrite)

//<0164> 瑚太朗
<0164> Kotarou

//<0165> 「ガーの話か?」
<0165> 「This is about Guar?」
//I’m reminded of Shizuru chanting “Guar! Guar!” in Rewrite by this line for whatever reason… ~Gnash

//<0166> ルチアから色々な話はすでに聞いている。
<0166> Lucia told me a lot about it.

//<0167> 静流が超人と呼ばれるガーディアンの戦士だということなんかもだ。
<0167> Apparently Shizuru is a superhuman warrior who fights for them.

//<0168> 静流
<0168> Shizuru

//<0169> 「ガーガー」
<0169> 「Gar gar.」
//… Nope, not even going to go there. ~Gnash

You have unlocked the inner workings of Shizuru’s mind, it seems

Haha, I know right?

Finished reading and doing a first pass QC tonight. I’ll read and QC Shizuru over the weekend/next week. Ixrec submitted his first chunk of Kagari the day before yesterday, so here’s hoping that happens quickly.

7 Likes

I just read this all like
“Dis gun b gud.”

My waifu hype can almost not be contained anymore.

http://amaterasu.tindabox.net/index.php?page=projects So only Kagari and Rewrite Quest left. Not long now!

8 Likes