Key Game Tech Support Topic

The steps to install it should be:

1. Launch the Rewrite installer and install it to your location of choice.
  2. Apply English patch.
  3. Run SiglusEngine.
    If SiglusEngine crashes, the fixed one above should, well, fix it.

Many new VNs from large companies have better security than just a system locale check. Though this has only really started happening within the past year or two, so I don’t think Rewrite is really that well secured.

Have you tried clicking Cancel/X on this window a few times? believe it or not on Kud Wafter this window would only pop up 2-3 times and as long as you never clicked OK it would let you play it. I’m not sure if they had fixed this by the time Rewrite came out.
Regardless, the English patch should fix this problem if you have it installed correctly.

@TRBO_188 Did you ever get the game working? Was my god-tier advice good enough, or do you still need some tech help?

I actually have not. I’ve been meaning to get in touch with tech support, but I’ve been busy lately.

Hey all you people who know more about computers than me!

So I am getting the physical copy of CLANNAD from the Kickstarter. Only problem is, my laptop is a Chromebook, which doesn’t have a disc drive. As I see it, here are my options:

1. Use a family member’s desktop to make an image of the disc to copy to a USB drive.
  2. Buy an external DVD/CD drive the can connect by USB to the Chromebook and hope that that can be used to play the VN.
  3. Pledge an extra $40 and just use the Steam version for on the Chromebook.

The way I read VNs on my Chromebook is through Linux via crouton using Wine. Don’t know if that’s necessary information for what I am able to/will have to do.

I would love any and all advice on what the best way to go about this is. Thanks!

I’ve not been paying much attention to it, so Sekai might have refuted this, but generally physical releases come with a steam key included… unless times have changed~

Alternatively, the physical release might have a CD key either somewhere on the box/disc or on the receipt, which can be used to redeem the game on Steam.

If so, that would be great. Thanks!

It might be worth asking on the Sekai Project forums or somewhere.

Sekai told me that the digital and physical versions are “separate products.”

Do you think that copying the disc image to a USB will work?

I think that should work fine.

Hmm, not sure how much detail I should go into here but one of my friends is quite the VN aficionado and helps out a lot of people with installing VNs and I can say one of the main errors for most VNs has to do with people not putting their computer in the Japanese locale. Another issue I’ve had with a few VNs is also not having DirectX installed when trying to play as well. Other general troubleshooting tips I could give to newcomers are running older VNs in compatibility mode, especially when trying to play the games, and reinstalling the game, running the setup executable as an administrator.

With regards to the Tomoyo After OP and other game OPs not playing, make sure you have some codec pack installed such as the KCP (kawaii codec pack) or CCCP.

EDIT: This problem does not seem to affect all computers and configurations, but if you are having trouble moving games from one computer to another, this is most likely what is happening:

Copying VNs from one Windows machine to another

Gonna put this here so I can maybe help people who run into the same situation I was in a few days ago.

Basically I got a kickin new Windows 8 computer and wanted to move all my visual novels from my old Windows 7 comp to my new one. As you probably guessed, it’s not as simple as copying files from one directory to another. Depending on the game, there are a number of steps you’ll want to follow. (Note: It’s almost always advised to reinstall the game properly, but sometimes that’s not possible, so this is describing a workaround.)

1.) Move the game directory to the same directory on the new computer
Try to do this if at all possible, but it shouldn’t be impossible to work around installation in case you can’t make the paths match.

2.) Locate the Game’s Save Files
Sometimes these are saved within the source directory, sometimes not. Look around in AppData or Documents for these. Again, when copying, you should try to keep the directory path the same. (Not a big deal if you can’t.)

3.) Locate any Registry objects
The Registry is a key-value store that tracks configuration details of installed programs. Some of Key’s visual novels (and translations) have registry values, and games will not work without them. Run the regedit.exe program to open up the Registry viewer. Run a search (Control+F) for the visual novel names and find all of the registry “folders” that correspond to the game you’re looking for. You’ll want to export these. There’s an option on the top bar to export these registry vales: save all of these to flash drive. Load the flash drive to your new computer and double click on each file to add the Registry key/values to the new computer’s registry. Once the registry keys are added to your new computer’s registry, you should be ready to play!
4.) Optional: If your game still doesn’t work
a.) If your installation/save directories do not match
Enter the regedit.exe again and look for the registry values you just added. for the game that doesn’t work. There is most likely a path that is not configured properly. Go through each of the “Values” of each entry and look for any path names. Configure the values so that the paths are accurate to your new configuration.
b.) If the game still doesn’t work
It’s likely that the translators added registry configurations that you missed. Find the translator’s name and search for any registry keys you might have missed.

Again, if you have the installer disc, you should use that instead. Doing this method will not add the program to the Programs/Features list, and there is no defined uninstaller that will take care of removing the game from your system. To uninstall the game, you’ll need to undo each of these operations.

Wait… people actually install VNs? I usually just run the .exe file…
That’s usually how I have my friends do it too, and I don’t think it’s ever caused someone I know a problem when transferring to another computer…

regardless, I hope that this is helpful if anyone has this problem.

I just keep all my VNs on an external Hard Drive and move them from computer to computer. Never had problems with registries…

Ummm… I can’t tell if you’re joking or have just never purchased a visual novel before.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve never had any issues with registry in any VNs. Seems fine to just copy them across to places.

Specific to KEY, I ran into problems with the patched Little Busters! and Rewrite games when moving them.
And in general, Ever17, the Muv-Luv series, and some 5pb games didn’t work immediately.

I used the installer for all of these games, so idk if it would affect anybody else under different circumstances

I can confirm that I have had no problems copying those over through an external harddrive.

Me too. The only problems I’ve had is a annoying save bug with Tomoyo After, but I think that was a problem with incorrectly installing the English Patch.

I can confirm that Ever17, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, and surprisingly even Muv-Luv worked perfectly fine for me. VNs tend to be unstable though. What works for some computers might not work for others.

I have no idea then o.O

The (many) problems I had I verified were registry-related (Muv-Luv gave me an error about an “improper installation” when I tried to boot)

I guess different computers handle these differently, or maybe it’s just an OS thing, idk

Just out of curiosity, did you install to the external drive, or just copy the files over? @all

I edited the original post, but i’m actually kinda interested about why these differences are happening