Key Food Topic

I’ve had taiyaki before. The exterior is kind of crunchy, and it tastes a bit like a waffle with red bean paste. I can understand why Ayu-chan loves it. :3

Shiori particularly likes vanilla soft-serve ice cream, which to be frank, is the least interesting ice cream. Shiori really needs to know the wonders of peppermint and eggnog ice cream. :3

Nikuman is actually quite delicious, but I prefer red bean or pumpkin-filled steam buns myself, especially with Chinese five-spice. Mmm… :3

I suppose I’m not alone when I say I want to know what on earth is in Akiko-san’s ‘special jam’.

I want a Key character who loves pizza with goat cheese, sundried tomatoes and artichokes. That stuff is gooooood… :3

1 Like

Speaking of those two, I’ve tried a (korean) fish-shaped waffle filled with red bean paste and vanilla ice cream.

You heard me right, vanilla ice cream + taiyaki. Dabessss

2 Likes

Yeah, I ate that ice cream taiyaki too! It was pretty expensive but it’s really worth it! Though it’s not crunchy anymore since it’s cold (tastes more like ice cream sandwich than a waffle).
I prefer taiyaki while it’s still crunchy and hot! Especially in a cold weather.

I once tried some frozen Taiyaki… Not bad, but fresh things are better than frozen ones

Also Mabo Tofu. The one I tried was mild considering my culinary background, yet it had the best aftertaste of anything I’ve ever eaten+

Guess I gotta learn to cook some of these foods

Kud had her own jam too, though she also mentions loving Kobumaki rolls.

Can’t forget the infamous Tiramisu juice that pops up in a lot of the series

Wonder what it tastes like…

1 Like

I guess it tastes like… Tiramisu. (duh)

Wait they actually had one in Japan

Well color me surprised! I wonder if they still sell that stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

Although this isn’t related to Key, but Japan had pancake-flavored milk-shake too?

Maybe miso cutlet juice isn’t that weird over there!

2 Likes

In my experience the thousands of canned drink flavors asian companies sell don’t taste anything like what they have on the label, the onion and curry soda’s come to mind. Even not including theirs things raspberry or lime soft drinks don’t even taste like those. Gotta imagine it’ll be rather bitter.

Yeah they get crazy with the flavors there’s some real weird ones. Heated cans are great though wish they were more common in the west.

1 Like

All those wacky flavors aren’t as common as you may think, though. They aren’t staples in most vending machines and you’ll have to actively find it if you wanna try it >_<

Since you’re in Japan, maybe you can tell your experience eating the foods (the normal or wacky ones) there? (Or if it’s getting out of topic I’ll consider creating General Food Topic :lol:)

I dunno, there’s nothing really interesting about the food compared to the any decent Japanese restaurant outside Japan. Ramen tastes like Ramen, Sushi tastes like Sushi, and so on.

The Chinese food is pretty bad here though :stuck_out_tongue: It tastes too healthy

I’m sure that’s because they use less MSG, while the authentic Chinese food use heavy amount of it.
Or their tongue is generally bland for taste.

Japanese government has certain regulations when it comes to the healthiness of food. Chinese food is generally quite fatty and, yes, has a lot of MSG, which they restrict in Japan :frowning:

Now for Little Busters! reference…
How do you eat your eggs?

Plain.

Ketchup

Plain!? You monster!

Soy sauce

(I forgot who answered what in this scene, but I genuinely like them with soy sauce)

There’s a Japanese dish with only egg (raw) mixed with soy sauce and white cooked rice called “tamago kake gohan”. Although I like runny yolk, I’m not a fan of completely raw egg when there’s issue of salmonella and such (though I already ate raw eggs - or raw chicken before)

I usually eat sunny side with pepper and salt. Although I like it with ketchup too.