Key Food Topic

I think the point of Shizuru’s tale with Sanma is that it’s such a normal food with nothing special about it but, because of her circumstances, she felt it was all the more special. That’s one thing that they simply can’t portray by translating

Nikuman is good but I can’t help liking the chinese version a lot more.
Heck I just love chinese food in general so that’s probably just me being biased.

As for Mapo Tofu, well, I notice food in Japan is generally underwhelmingly spicy. I went to a ramen place once and had the double spice level but it was barely enough to make me feel the heat. Probably Kanade’s favorite Mapo Tofu is a bit spicier than usual, but something that shouldn’t be too bad

Lucia’s on the other hand…

1 Like

Let’s see there is hamburg steak for Minagi and flowing soumen for Kano. Soumen looks interesting, making a game out of eating. I don’t know if he ever gets to eat it but Yukito talks about his ramen set a lot. Yukine is always ready to serve up some pilaf. Chihaya has her poteko snacks and (Moon spoiler I guess) Kagari’s ヒーコー(coffee but said backwards)

Personally I’ve made anpan and anko at home with recipes from the internet. It was sweet but with a more natural after taste than western pastries so it was nice since I don’t have much of a sweet-tooth. Eating at a place like Gen-san’s ramen stand would be really cool I think.

1 Like

Aw man I love that stuff. I think I have like three boxes in my freezer.

ahaha, u just remind me about that fruit, I need a lot of those!! xdxd

don´t forget about shizuru’s saury :smiley: and masato’s kin niku shake, I know kud didn´t liked it but still, I wanna try it!!

Ya know, we had a topic like this once…

I wonder what Biz’ll think when he sees how much more popular this thread is for some reason…

Oh my, I didn’t know such thread existed. Sorry Biz, I guess I didn’t look for the similar thread before creating a new one.

By the way, there was Rewrite Harvest festa! cafe back then. They sell Gen-san’s ramen (or menra) and also, Lucia’s spicy parfait!

@Wizzerd Here’s a link to some Japanese trying to create Akiko Jam. Although there’s no official recipe or even any hint of what Akiko Jam actually consist of, this fella tried to make it from scratch with mango juice or something. The appearance is similar though, although for the flavor…

2 Likes

I’ve wanted to try chiffon cake thanks to Little Busters. Don’t think I’ve ever eaten it… maybe I’ll try making it.

Also, mapo tofu. Though I’m somewhat intolerant of very spicy foods, the mention of how good it tasted in Angel Beats made me really want to try it one day. Maybe I’m just masochistic like that.

I’ve had meat buns from this Asian store once. They weren’t bad. There’s this pork buns recipe in my new cookery book actually, I’m definitely trying that once I’ve moved. Asian grocery stores and Japanese restaurants are a rarity here, sadly.

1 Like

Chiffon cake is actually pretty easy to make. Just mix the ingredients and bake, but you need to watch the baking process carefully because it burns easily.

Anyway, someone tried to make and eat Angel Beats! Super spicy mapo tofu in this video

He literally dumped a whole package of chili/cayenne powder there. I wonder if his stomach gonna be alright…

Fun fact: Every time I’ve read Kanon (a lot) I make sure to eat either gyudon or, if I don’t have the ingredients, something beef flavored. I don’t even like beef… or most meat.

1 Like

I’ve had taiyaki before. The exterior is kind of crunchy, and it tastes a bit like a waffle with red bean paste. I can understand why Ayu-chan loves it. :3

Shiori particularly likes vanilla soft-serve ice cream, which to be frank, is the least interesting ice cream. Shiori really needs to know the wonders of peppermint and eggnog ice cream. :3

Nikuman is actually quite delicious, but I prefer red bean or pumpkin-filled steam buns myself, especially with Chinese five-spice. Mmm… :3

I suppose I’m not alone when I say I want to know what on earth is in Akiko-san’s ‘special jam’.

I want a Key character who loves pizza with goat cheese, sundried tomatoes and artichokes. That stuff is gooooood… :3

1 Like

Speaking of those two, I’ve tried a (korean) fish-shaped waffle filled with red bean paste and vanilla ice cream.

You heard me right, vanilla ice cream + taiyaki. Dabessss

2 Likes

Yeah, I ate that ice cream taiyaki too! It was pretty expensive but it’s really worth it! Though it’s not crunchy anymore since it’s cold (tastes more like ice cream sandwich than a waffle).
I prefer taiyaki while it’s still crunchy and hot! Especially in a cold weather.

I once tried some frozen Taiyaki… Not bad, but fresh things are better than frozen ones

Also Mabo Tofu. The one I tried was mild considering my culinary background, yet it had the best aftertaste of anything I’ve ever eaten+

Guess I gotta learn to cook some of these foods

Kud had her own jam too, though she also mentions loving Kobumaki rolls.

Can’t forget the infamous Tiramisu juice that pops up in a lot of the series

Wonder what it tastes like…

1 Like

I guess it tastes like… Tiramisu. (duh)

Wait they actually had one in Japan

Well color me surprised! I wonder if they still sell that stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

Although this isn’t related to Key, but Japan had pancake-flavored milk-shake too?

Maybe miso cutlet juice isn’t that weird over there!

2 Likes

In my experience the thousands of canned drink flavors asian companies sell don’t taste anything like what they have on the label, the onion and curry soda’s come to mind. Even not including theirs things raspberry or lime soft drinks don’t even taste like those. Gotta imagine it’ll be rather bitter.

Yeah they get crazy with the flavors there’s some real weird ones. Heated cans are great though wish they were more common in the west.

1 Like

All those wacky flavors aren’t as common as you may think, though. They aren’t staples in most vending machines and you’ll have to actively find it if you wanna try it >_<