Kaza Movie Night!

I would really like to suggest Miracle in Cell No. 7, but the only thing remotely winter-y about it is the ending scene. :yahaha:

The Korean film is mainly about the story of a young girl and her father who has intellectual disability, who, due to an incident, was wrongly accused of a crime punishable by death. It’s going to be the type to hit in the feels.

Wow, a lot of options this time. And there’s a HUGE variety too, so I’m allowing you to vote for two movies this time. Again, I’ll keep this up for at least 48 hours.

• A Nightmare Before Christmas
  • The Breakfast Club
  • The Shining
  • Gremlins
  • Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu
  • Tokyo Godfathers
  • Kidou Senshi GUNDAM Wing ~Endless Waltz~
  • Miracle in Cell No. 7

0 voters

Isn’t this a series of OVA’s for a preexisting series? I left it in but I was kinda hesitant to include that and Haruhi because they usually assume you’re familiar with the series.

These are not the final times, I’m just trying to see how many people would be go to each viewing. I’m a bit more worried about attendance since this takes place right around the New Year. If one or both times only has a couple people I may merge them.

• Saturday December 31st at 18:00 GMT
  • Sunday January 1st at 06:00 GMT

0 voters

1 Like

Hm…
I think that Suzumiya is okay with watching Shoushitsu prior to both TV-series… but with GUNDAM, yeah, my bad. You should probably exclude it.

All in all, waiting for the night :3
Saturday’s 18:00 is the earliest time I’ll be free.
As for Sunday… any time would probably work. I hope I won’t oversleep it, though.

I won’t be around this time, but have fun, guys!

I don’t know which session I’ll join, but count me in for at least one of them. It’ll all come down to knowing if there’s any family gathering on the 31st after all.

Provided something doesn’t suddenly come up I should be good for both times. I’ll be looking forward to it.

Alrighty, the movie is going to be Tokyo Godfathers and that will be at this Saturday 18:00 GMT and this Sunday 06:00 GMT.

I should be a little bit early. If you need, I can @mention you on Discord when we’re about to start. Just let me know if you want a reminder.

A few tips we learned from last time:

• Download, don’t stream. Even slight buffering will desync you from the rest of us
  • Check beforehand to make sure you have the right kind of subtitles
  • Be sure to bring snacks :yukismil:

I’ll be looking forward to it!

1 Like

I might have missed Kaza Movie Night last time cause of my mistake with time zone differences. But I’m going to try really hard to be there on Saturday 18:00 GMT for Tokyo Godfathers. I can’t make promises but I really want to be there to enjoy spending time with you guys. I hope to see you all there provided nothing happens during that time! :smile:

Big thanks to @Arete for hosting yet another great Movie Night.
I’ve loved the movie and this event, hope we will have some more (Movie Nights) later.

4 Likes

That was a really great movie, yeah! I ended up being available on both timeslots but committed to the original planned sunday one (as I was preparing for “pepe live 2017” on saturday, heh). I came in knowing absolutely nothing about the movie and came out thoroughly entertained… Great choice!

3 Likes

I forgot to write that before, but I really liked the prerequisite of a theme for the movie suggestions, so if @Arete is still playing the role of the host for these, it’d be nice to have another theme for the next one. Either way, I’m looking forward to more movies with you guys.

I actually enjoyed myself on Kaza Movie Night while I got to watch Tokyo Godfathers with you guys. I also like to thank @arete for proposing to do this and have everyone have fun watching the film together. I hope we can do another one sometime in the future perhaps.

Thanks for your kind words, I had a blast watching with all of you too. I’ve been busy with the first week of classes which is why I’ve been silent but I would like to host more movie nights.

After talking it over with Aspi I think I will only be doing one showing from now on though. This is because it splits viewership, and also now that I have classes me watching the same movie two times in one day may not be the best use of time. But I’ll still make the discussion pages for the movies, so if you can’t make it feel free to watch it on your own and post your thoughts there.

We’ll have to decide a new time then. Maybe somewhere in between? I’ll just put up a poll. Pick all times you could watch. If you’re not sure about timezones I recommend using this (http://www.thetimezoneconverter.com/) to help.

• Saturday 18:00 GMT
  • Saturday 22:00 GMT
  • Sunday 02:00 GMT
  • Sunday 06:00 GMT

0 voters

2 Likes

This poll has been up more than long enough. The time will be Saturdays 22:00 GMT. I hope that as many people will be able to make it out as possible, even if you can’t come every session.

The next time will be February Fourth, so go ahead and get in some suggestions.

I don’t have a theme this time and I think it would get old having one every week but it might be a cool thing to keep in mind for special occasions.

3 Likes

So if nobody else has the courage to get a first suggestion in, I’ll take the bullet for you guys. I’d like to suggest The Last Unicorn. This is a western animation that is regarded as a fantasy classic in several countries, and is a movie I would point to if someone were to ask me for a western animation that’s watchable by adults. I even feel that this movie is more for adults than for children, to be perfectly honest. For the premise of the plot, a unicorn finds out it’s the last of its kind and tries to find out what happened to the rest. Here’s the Wikipedia page, if you need it, though I recommend not reading the plot summary beforehand for obvious reasons. Oh, I also guess the age does show a bit in terms of animation quality, as it is a movie of the 80ies.

Now that someone has suggested a movie, I wanna see what you guys suggest :wink:

1 Like

I’d like to suggest a really old film, an Italian film in late 40’s: The Bicycle Thief. It was something I watched for a review in class and one that our professor highly recommended, and it was beautiful… and also very emotional. It’s a story set just after World War II in Rome, about a father of a impoverished family whose job he got needed a bicycle. He got one after selling his stuff (or did he pawn it?), but the bike was stolen while he was working. And so he started his desperate search for his bike along with his son.

Now let me just cry in the corner after remembering this. //sniff

1 Like

I don’t have much time for an update so I’ll be quick for now.

I’m also renominating Wolf Children since a lot of people voted for that too.

Yadda yadda, 48 hours, you know the drill

• The Last Unicorn
  • The Bicycle Thief
  • Wolf Children

0 voters

And again, the time will be this Saturday at 22:00 GMT.

EDIT
Wolf Children soundly won, so be sure to get it before saturday, everyone!

Sorry guys, I won’t be able to join you tonight. I’ll make sure to watch the film and contribute to the discussion tomorrow. I’m really sorry.

We have a little break before the next Bookclub is going on, so since there isn’t going to be a podcast for there to be a time conflict with I’m finally starting this up again, and hopefully I won’t mess up scheduling any more :derp:

For now go ahead and make any suggestions. I liked vyse’s suggestion last time so to kick things off I’ll nominate The Last Unicorn.

The Exact date I’ve yet to determine, but It’ll probably be a Saturday in a week or two at 22:00 GMT like last time.

Actually I may as well go over how the Movie Night process works for anyone who doesn’t know or hasn’t picked it up yet.

Typically people will nominate a movie they want to watch with the group (ideally you should bold these so I don’t miss your suggestion and include a paragraph saying what its about to convince others to vote for it) and I, your host, will accept these for a week or so. Typically I’ll close suggestions sometime during the weekend. I’ll open a poll and give everyone 48 hours to vote on which movie they want the group to watch the most. That closes Monday or Tuesday usually and people have until that Saturday to procure a copy of the winning movie. At a set time Saturday (or Sunday for some) we get together on the Discord, hop in a voice channel and watch it together, sharing commentary or jokes. The more the merrier, so even if you don’t have a mic you can get in the channel to listen and post your thought in the #voice text channel. Its a lot of fun when we get a lot of people to turn out, so I hope to see you guys there. Even if you don’t normally post or participate much this can be a great way to get closer to some of our members!

4 Likes

Maybe another voting for the timeslot?.. 22 GMT is a killer. orz