Kantai Collection -KanColle-

I happened to open a thread for discusing the browser game and upcoming anime that has been gaining an insane amount of popularity for the last year or so, threatening Touhou’s supremacy over doujin market

Have you ever played the game? If so, discuss strategies, events, favorite ship girls and stuff.
If don’t, discuss your impressions of the phenomena from the outside, if there’s a ship girl you know (beside Shimakaze) and wanna know more from others, and such.

Please, abide by the general rules of the forum, and keep things civil

I for one, welcome my favorite ship girl:

1 Like

I very much approve of your taste in shipgirls. Hibiki/BEP <3

I’m still not too sure what KanColle actually is… It’s a card game or something, right? I could never tell from screenshots.
Do they still have that stupid raffle sign-up thing going on from back when it was a new thing? It really put me off trying the game. I was never big into Touhou or any other doujin game things, so I eventually shrugged it off as being a cheap browser game after having a bit of interest in trying it.

It’s… I guess a strategy RPG/Mobage hybrid by lack of a better term. You’re an admiral and build a fleet consisting of personified historical ships. You have control of basically everything except for the actual battles, which are entirely RNG-based, and can only give orders to proceed or retreat at certain points. It’s weird, but really fun.

Everything in the game and official media (and most fanworks too) has some historical background, figuring out what’s based on what is pretty fun - or you could just read someone else’s analysis of some of them. To someone who loves history as much as I do, the sheer historical accuracy is wonderful.

Ah, so it’s kinda like SGO? Set up the fleet, plan for the future, and then watch it go?
Dungeons & Takafumis has a similar mechanic as well, but for a different genre. Must be a popular style in Japan.

Well… with KanColle’s raging success, it definitely is now =w=
But yeah, kinda like that, getting in is a pain, but the game is worth it imo

I don’t use her much anymore, mostly because of her crap stats, but my favorite ship is still the first one I ever built: I-168, and I got through a good portion of the campaign by making her my flagship and running the diamond formation to keep her from taking damage, since all the fire would be directed at her. I would also like Yuudachi a lot, but that “poi” gets pretty annoying really fast. There are a lot of really good ship girls out there though. I can only think of one or two that I didn’t really like.

Funny story about KanColle though; I had been interested in it ever since it came out, but the lottery system turned me away from it. A while later I learned that the game has voices (and some pretty good ones at that) so I figured I would try my hand at the lottery a few times and see if I could get in. Fortunately, I got in on my first try, so I didn’t have to deal with the lottery more than once.

1 Like

Your first ship was a Submarine!? Wow, you’re lucky, those have only a few percent chance of appearing and only with a couple of recipes. My first one was NAKA-CHAN DAYO~ (shortly followed by like five more duplicates of her… =w=)

Yeah, I’ve heard basically everyone gets Naka first… To be fair, it was the worst submarine by far, but I really like her character

Funny thing, I got my first Imuya after receiving about 5 Hacchan. Also, somehow reminds me of Rin Natsume

@uppfinnarn There even were a dude who had 48 Nakas in his fleet

Naka-chan is on one of my expedition fleets, while CL wise, I’m more of a Kiso man, a Naka is fine, too

AL/MI event has ended, and I couldn’t even play once :frowning:

Too busy with work… Anyone went through the event?

No time ;~;

It took me way too many buckets, but I cleared E1. I’ll be happy with my Harusame. I got wrecked at night node about 80% of the time and had to turn back. It didn’t help that I was using my “B” team because my main group (Akagi, Kaga, Souryuu, Nagato, Kongou, Kirishima) was reserved for Midway which I never got to.

I find it odd that no one has posted in this thread in months, considering what’s been going on lately.

Is anyone here watching the anime? what do you guys think of it? how about the event? anyone playing that?

I think its about time this thread got bumped, so why not try to get some conversation going at the same time.

As someone who’d never played the game, the anime is making me want to play it, so I guess its doing its job. I think the anime is enjoyable and saying the opening is just a plus would be a huge understatement.

I am watching the anime. While it’s nothing extraordinary it’s enjoyable. I entered with low expectations and so far, I’m not disappointed

On the other side, in Episode 3 when Kisaragi was sunk near the end, it gave a Mami Mogu Mogu/Iwasawa’s My Song feel

Game wise, I haven’t been into the last 3 events, so I suffer without Ooyodo/Prinz Eugen/the new U-boat girl

I don’t care what anyone else says, I LOVE the anime. It’s fun seeing all the characters’ quirks and catchphrases and all the references to the game mechanics. They even included the construction sound effects from the game in episode 6. Episode 6 was the best one so far, it was just really cute and funny.

1 Like

I played the browser game for around a year, I stopped a few months ago but I still consider myself a fan of the franchise.

The anime is really awesome if (and possibly only if) you are a fan of the series or the fandom. The show is actually really clever with its references to the game and WWII history (for example, Akagi’s constant hunger is a reference to her excessive bauxite consumption, EP6 they tried to make a pot quickly using the game’s instant repair blowtorch, and in EP6 Yuubari’s pot construction makes the game’s ship girl scrapping sound effect which frightens the other ship girls)

I wouldn’t recommend the anime to anyone… everyone who likes Kancolle is already watching it, everyone else probably wouldn’t like it. It’s non-ecchi fanservice.

Lots of in-game references that Kancolle players enjoy such as myself. I love the 6th Division DDs

Then again, I wanted Kancolle to be much more than gamer fanservice. General purpose fanservice, or even an anime that can stand on its own would have been better

Not that I don’t enjoy it, though <3