Grisaia Series Discussion

I’ve been playing Fruit of Grisaia for about 12+ hours now, just got past the third decision in the common route so have a long way to go yet. I want to like it more but at the moment it just feels like random scenes one after another and the characters don’t inspire me much although some of the humour is fun. Protagonist is a bit vanilla despite the attempts to give him some sort of mysterious and dangerous ninja past.

Am I the only one to find Michiru’s voice incredibly annoying? It’s like being jabbed in the ears with an ice pick - repeatedly. It’s the first time I’ve had to turn down the individual VA level to barely audible. I shall endeavour to do her route first to get it out of the way…

I like Yumiko and Sachi the best ( I know Sachi seems like a doormat but I enjoy the way they not only run with her taking things very literally but the daft lengths she goes to trying to comply!).

NB I’m playing the Steam version, no doubt toned down.

Why yes I believe you are

He becomes more interesting in The Labyrinth of Grisaia, until then he is a pretty flat character.

Your biggest changes in Fruit are Amane’s tits not hanging out in every other scene, and the lack of H-Scenes (which you’re not missing anything, let’s be honest here).

From what little I looked at the Steam Version, I preferred the way the fan-TL handled Makina’s dialogue, but that’s not a huge deal.

There has only been one semi nude scene so far of Amane and Makina in the bathroom - with strategically placed lather! I can truly live without the H-scenes…especially as Makina looks about 12 (though she’s obviously a bit older).

EDITED to add: I just got further into the game to find that Michiru has an “alternative” voice which is far more pleasant!

Should I find it strange that you dislike Michiru’s voice but won’t complain about Makina’s? Well, neither of those are all that hard to get used to and I do find their respective voice actresses quite talented.

It was the same for me and I guess I’ll put it this way: I was pretty annoyed at Grisaia for not having a story, but when it did get a story, I was by no means pleased by it.
It’s a weird game that I did enjoy despite hating almost everything about it.

May I try making a prediction? You will come back to this topic while playing her route because you will be terribly upset about at least one of its details.

Well I’m not fond of Makina’s either and turned that down a bit too, as I said though the “other” Michiru voice is very pleasant - and the quality of the Voice Acting in terms of expressiveness and emotion is excellent. Just a personal thing that I dislike perma-shrieking voices, OTOH Yumiko’s voice is very calming I find.

Hmm, now I’m intrigued!

I’m into Michiru’s route now, and will keep further thoughts until I finish all the routes.

hahahaha if you can manage to get to Rakuen then I look forward to your reaction. Too bad anime cut out a big chunk of her scenes. Sachi is my 2nd favorite character of the series. My favorite being a spoiler.

Is that a prediction or just stating the obvious? I hated that so much.

I said I wouldn’t comment again until I’d finished all the routes but they are so long I will probably forget the early ones I completed, so in order so far…

Michiru:
Well after learning the back story I definitely came to like Michiru much more ( I can even listen to her voice now :grin:) - I was probably prejudiced too by my irrational dislike of bleached blonde hair :grimacing: My guess that she had ( spoilerish for the good end) Dissociative identity disorder was a bit off base in the end though, as they put a bit of a new spin on it. I wasn’t too sure if part of the route was simply hypnotic suggestion or real - landing a plane in the school field, WTF!.

Yumiko
OK but the easiest one really to figure out the “secret” and I didn’t find it that interesting. Also the “Mission Impossible Chase: SAM Turkey Launch!!!” really was a bit too much!

Sachi
Still my favourite girl so far but can I get through this without mentioning, like others beforehand, coughs Kotomi! . Route was OK but seemed overlong, preferred it to Yumiko and about the same level as Michiru for me.

BTW I read that Michiru - Yumiko - Sachi - Amane - Makina had the least spoilers as you go so this is why I follow this order.

I’ll still hold off on judgement until I complete all the good and bad ends, but the one thing I find taking me out of the VN is that Yuuji is just too overpowered with his “Wise Words” and Superman ability to know and do whatever is required to “fix” the girls…maybe this teenage wonderboy stuff is explained more in the follow ups. Well OK it’s not a story to take so seriously I know but still…

You should probably leave Amane’s for last and read Makina’s first tho. Mainly because of Kazuki and it’s the best one tbh.
Someone already said, I think, but Yuuji will get a better characterization in Meikyuu. Also, I know it’s a bit early but after you finish Kajitsu, you should pro’ly wait for Rakuen’s release first (heard it’ll come out this March) because Meikyuu is a pretty fast read and… Err… The way Meikyuu ended just makes you crave for Rakuen. The wait is painful, very painful. (I can’t believe I’ve been waiting for half a year myself)

OK, I haven’t started Amane’s route yet so I will probably take your advice…

Rakuen = Eden ?

Where does The Labyrinth of Grisaia fit in? Because that is available already at Steam.

What is Grisaia no Meikyuu? Is that the Japanese name for the Labyrinth?

Steam don’t give the Japanese titles so it’s confusing for me with all the other shorter ones too such as The Melody… & The Leisure…

There’s Kajitsu (fruit), meikyuu (labyrinth) and Rakuen (eden). All the others are extras that got released with the anime, I think.

1 Like

Thanks that clarifies it. Yes there a couple of side stories that must be very short as they are cheap (relatively).

As I understand it Labyrinth offers a continuation for each of the girls’ routes, not just one?

Yeah a short After for all routes but the main route in Meikyuu is Yuuji’s “past” which is quite interesting.

I don’t think there’s any reason to go in any particular order when it comes to Grisaia routes tbh. Just do whatever you feel like at the moment.

My pet theory at the moment to rationalise all this is that ( spoilered in case it happens to be correct though I’m just throwing this out silly idea out there!)

Yuuji is a serial fantasist with Histrionic Personality Disorder, and these stories are naught but imaginary products of his delusions of grandeur ) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I mean the best answer to this girl’s problems is to BLOW SHIT UP!

OK, I finished all the routes now with the good and bad endings. Took about 100 - 110 hours to complete (Steam says 126 hours but it was running a lot while I was otherwise engaged). Considering I got this half price that’s decent value for money and, overall, I’m glad I played the VN.

I have little experience of VNs but I would put this in quality and enjoyment some way below Clannad and the Steins;Gate games, not too sure how it has such a high rating on VNDB but clearly it found its market I guess. I would rate it about the same as Everlasting Summer/Бесконечное лето in fact. It’s the first VN I have played without a single “True Ending” so it kind of feels a bit odd to be left to pick out whichever I like best, especially as none of them truly stood out and grabbed me by the fruits.

Art sometimes very good but sometimes weird, music not very memorable although I like “Want to Smile” and the oddly named “Scab”, none of the ending themes did anything for me…

So, on the last two routes I went through:

Makina - well I really like Makina as the comic relief, the daft speech patterns plus the inappropriate lewdness and crudeness from an apparently ADHD pre-teen (despite being 15) did have me laughing out loud quite often. The route was so-so and the endings fairly mediocre. I wasn’t really upset or disturbed by it, just left me a bit indifferent.

Amane - Yes well the less said about the first half of the route the better, what I imagine to be “pure” eroge. Angelic Howl didn’t inspire me much either probably as I cared little about the characters - unlike others I found Kazuki just annoying. Again I thought the endings were rather bland.

I don’t feel it’s worth my while to try and rate “Best Girl” or best route/ending since they were much of a muchness and honestly I’ve already forgotten the first ones I completed!

So, not a VN I would replay but if I can get Labyrinth and Eden (when it comes out) on a sale I would probably get them and keep for a time when I’m lacking anything else.

1 Like

Not even Sachi’s? That song is phenomenal.

I can’t believe there’s someone who I agree with almost 100% on their opinion on Amane’s route. All except the endings being bland. I think the Bad End is great (definitely due to me hating Amane), and think her good end is absolute shit.

Just say Sachi. We all know she’s best girl anyway.

1 Like

@Pik3rob

http://i.imgur.com/fUgxZ8V.png

Well I agree Sachi’s theme is the best, and Sachi is most likely my favourite.

1 Like

Since “Eden” is still slated for an April release on Steam, I bought “Labyrinth” in the last sale and have just finished it - I see what is meant by the cliffhanger ending!

Most of “Labyrinth”, about 60% or so of the game time being the girls’ scenarios and short stories I just felt was filler and not all that interesting. Of course if you really like the girls and the setting of Grisaia then it will be still enjoyable. I played through the main story last so it feels to me like the main story being a completely neutral route kind of renders the rest of it a bit redundant, unlike Clannad where the alternative endings actually are intrinsically part of the main characters’ development and needed to complete the story.

Best part of the main story for me was actually the shortish section where Yuuji is on his road trip in Hokkaido…

I am interested though to see where the story goes in “Eden” and how it concludes.

I’ve only watched the anime to its completion. (The first season only)

I’ve watched a tiny bit of the visual novel as well, but not enough to have a valid opinion on it.

The anime of Grisaia is a guilty pleasure of mine, although I like tearing into its flaws quite a bit.

Character arcs can be a problem in some cases, but Grisaia’s way of handling them just makes everything worse due to it only being 13 episodes.
Similar anime, like Kanon, that also focuses on character arcs, had way more time to flesh out its characters do to its 24 episodes. Obviously, Grisaia didn’t really have that much of an opportunity.

Because of its short length, character arcs were almost always very short, only one character having 3 episodes, while the rest got 2 or even 1. The two character arcs that were shoved into 1 episode felt rushed beyond belief, and I haven’t even played the visual novel, so I can’t even believe how rushed it must feel to the people who have.

But even with the arcs that were 2 episodes long, they still suffered a lot, and could’ve needed more time.

The only arc that actually succeeded in not being a rushed mess was the 3 episode arc, which was Amane’s.

I can imagine the characters being well executed and more lovable in the VN, but in the anime they certainly were not. Or… At least not well executed, a few of them were still likable to me, especially Michiru.

Sachi, Yumiko, and Makina suffer greatly. Sachi’s and Yumiko’s suffer from the 1 episode treatment, while Makina’s is just… Odd, and even kind of concerning. I found her arc to be incredibly boring, along with her character. Easily the weakest character in my opinion.

Michiru’s arc actually started out okay at first, but the last half of her arc just completely ruined it. The ending just completely defies logic, and it honestly made Yuuji unlikable as a character for me until later on.

Basically, to teach Michiru that she should continue to live on… Yuuji decides that it’s a perfect idea to BURY HER ALIVE.

She was in there for THREE DAYS. She should have died from lack of oxygen, and if not that, than dehydration, as well as other things that I won’t go into details about because it’s not pleasant.

And she not only survived for three days, but she was able to get out of the box she was buried in, which doesn’t make sense at all considering that there was a lot of dirt on top of her that should have prevented her from opening it.

And guess who was waiting for her when she somehow managed to escape? Yuuji.

He explained her plan to her, saying that he knew she didn’t truly want to die, and wanted to test her. He even admitted that he didn’t have a plan B if she didn’t actually come out of the box though, meaning that he was planning on just leaving her in there to die after those three days. (Which she would have, if this anime were more realistic)

But seriously though, you would think after THREE DAYS, Yuuji would be concerned enough to just drag her out himself, as by then, she would have been very close to death, if not already dead.

And the most baffling part is that Michiru was perfectly okay about being BURIED ALIVE right after she got out. In fact, she was instead GRATEFUL to him, and still has feelings for him anyway.

I am aware that this did help her develop and change her mind about life, but I’d still be upset about being forced into a life-or-death situation if I was her.

There are other ways to convince her that she should continue living instead of BURYING HER ALIVE, but I guess I should just get over this.

Like previously stated, only Amane’s arc wasn’t completely rushed, and was really the only decent arc except for the first half of Michiru’s. Amane’s arc pretty much saved the anime from being COMPLETE garbage, and proved that the anime could do a FEW things right, but then just mess up everything else. If only the rest of the arcs were treated in a similar fashion.

I must say that, despite the fact that the whole anime deals with disturbing topics, Amane’s was easily the most disturbing and horrifying out of all of them, and it honestly took me a bit to recover after I watched it, as I was asking myself: “What just happened?”

It pretty much covers almost any controversial topic you can think of. In fact, the whole anime does. Of course, I don’t mind dark content in anime. In fact, it’s a bonus for me, haha.

Another problem that some people may face is the constant panty shots at the beginning of the series.
I usually don’t mind panty shots or any other kind of fanservice as long as it doesn’t occur during serious scenes and ruin the mood, but, unfortunately, this anime does just that.
Several panty shots will occur during very tense situations, kind of breaking the immersion that I had before.

However, the good thing is that the anime slows down on the panty shots the further the anime goes on, showing them less and less, but it’s still a problem that it faces at the beginning of the series.

Before I watched the anime I noticed that many people disliked its rushed pace, and I can totally understand where they’re coming from.

The anime is not ALL bad, as there are some redeeming qualities, it’s just that the flaws outnumber them.

But despite the many flaws it had, I still found myself being entertained by the series in one way or another, especially during the first few episodes before the arcs officially started, and during Amane’s arc.

Long reply, haha.