General Visual Novel Topic

So I’m starting Muv-Luv. Couldn’t have gone forever without reading the #1 best rated visual novel on VNDB. Looking forward to seeing what the hype is all about.

I would’ve posted in the Muv-Luv topic, but it says Heavy Spoilers so I’m gonna keep out of there until I’m done.

Go ahead and post there because, as of right now, there are literally zero spoilers.

I still gotta finish MLA…

Oh you definitely can go forever without reading it. I have absolutely no plans read it anytime soon. Or ever, for that matter.

Also, VNDB ratings are highly biased towards english translated VNs and popular VNs, so take them with a grain of salt.

Anyone else play eden* yet? It was on sale on Mangagamer for 50% off, so I couldn’t pass it up. The art in this is AMAZING. The character art is so sharp and detailed, there’s a lot of cool lighting effects, and so many CG variations that it makes my head hurt to think about how much effort the artist put into it. I’m only about 2 hours in, but the story is good so far. There’s a good balance of mysteriousness and silliness. Plus the protagonist is voiced, which I think adds a lot to the game.

1 Like

I have just finished Steins;Gate. I can say it was very good (specially talking about the story). But I have some complaints:

First, the soundtrack. There were some good songs (the ED for most routes was awesome), but most of them were mediocre. It was really annoying to listen to some of them.

Second, the art. Okay, the sprites were fine. But the majority of the CGs was simply… Pointless. I asked myself: why even put a CG here if there wouldn’t be much difference if it was replaced by the character’s sprite? And they wasted some moments that should have had a CG, like when Kurisu was fixing Okabe’s shirt. They just put a CG of Kurisu standing there wet, if they put a picture of her fixing Okabe’s clothes it would cause much more impact.

And third, the romance. While the romantic interactions were good, I think there should have been more of it.

And that’s it. But I still liked the VN a lot, but nothing that would make it my all-time favorite.

1 Like

It’s still on my to-buy list. I’ll wait for it to go on sale again. I hope >_<

Urgh, finished first route in Muv-Luv Extra (Meiya’s) and I run into an apparently common problem of the game crashing on Windows 8 when the credits start rolling.

…and literally as I’m typing this it went through the credits without crashing this time. Things do have a tendency to work themselves out as soon as you go to complain about them.

1 Like

Do you plan on reading all routes or just going “MLA order?”

Gonna go for all of them. I don’t like having loose ends like that.

A lot of people have been asking me about my opinions on AoKana and why I liked it so much, but I didn’t think a simple forum post would have been enough to cover the whole thing, so I got some help from a friend of mine and started a VN review blog. It took me almost a whole week to write and I honestly still don’t think I’m satisfied with it, but I also doubt I ever will be, so I figured I would just post it. So here it is: nearly 2,000 words about my opinions of Aokana.

There’s also a post about Houkago no Futekikakusha since I know someone here was slightly interested and I didn’t really do a good job of explaining it here. It spoils a bit, but there was no other way I could have explained everything I wanted to cover properly.

I finished one for Hello Lady! too, in case anyone actually cared(it was also a great game); and I plan to write one on Sanoba Witch pretty soon, now that I’m basically done with it. Eventually I’d like to get around to writing about every VN I’ve ever played, but it takes quite a bit of time to write one of those reviews, so that’s all I have directly planned for now. It would mean a lot if you guys could read what I have and give me some of your opinions about it though, anything would be pretty helpful at this point since I’m just getting started.

4 Likes

Didn’t read the other two because spoilers, but I rather enjoyed your AoKana review. You did a good job at describing each part of the VN, why it was effective (or not), and why you enjoyed it. And it definitely made me even more excited to read it than I was before.

Looking forward to your other reviews, especially Sanoba Witch (love that Yuzusoft art, man, so I’m interested to hear if the story/characters themselves are any good)

in the Hello Lady! one I basically just translated the prologue into the summary and then paraphrased it a bit(the way it was written that was basically all I could do, it doesn’t condense well). Other than that it doesn’t really spoil anything. The Houkago no Futekikakusha one on the other hand spoils quite a bit, but unless you plan on reading it(which you shouldn’t) spoilers probably won’t matter.

[quote=“yerian98, post:293, topic:108”]
Looking forward to your other reviews, especially Sanoba Witch (love that Yuzusoft art, man, so I’m interested to hear if the story/characters themselves are any good)
[/quote]Not gonna lie, I actually didn’t expect someone to recognize it by name, considering how new it is. apparently it got super popular though, I met a whole group of like 8 people on twitter who were playing it at the same time as I was, which made the whole experience a lot more fun.

Anyway, thanks for the input, it means a lot. I’ll be sure to give you a heads up when I finish the Sanoba Witch one too. Ideally it will be this weekend, but it might be longer depending on how much time I can find to put into it.

Guys, have you heard of Steins;Gate 0? It’s a new sequel for the original game, and an anime adaptation has also been announced. HYPE.

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-03-28/steins-gate-0-follow-up-game-and-anime-announced/.86470

Here is the PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfFC15WoNYo

4 Likes

Oh, so this is what happened to the Novel. Huh, guess they prefer to VN-ify it.

Oh nice, the LNs were my favourite part of S;G, and contain best girl.

Lookign forward to that.

Though i’m, more excited about http://gematsu.com/2015/03/chaoschild-coming-to-ps4-ps3-and-ps-vita Considering C;H was my favorite of the Sci;Adv series and there is no way in hell I was going to buy a Xbox One for it. Shame for no PC but i can deal with PS3 and Vita releases.

1 Like

How old is this girl? (just curious. She looks pretty old…)

Hiyajou Maha 21 years old, it mentions a university.

1 Like

That’s quite funny, she’s actually incredibly short and often mistaken for a grade schooler in the LN. The art-style kind of off puts that I guess. Kurisu for scale

Yep she’s from the university Kurisu is from, much older than Kurisu though as you said.

She appears in Epigraph trilogy if you want to read more about her now though I guess now you may aswell wait for the game.

2 Likes

http://secret.aquaplus.jp/

This is a good week for VNs.

I broke my pickax from clicking too fast… :confused:

Speaking of good weeks for VNs though, I have 3 VNs that I want to play next month(Kami no Rhapsody, Chrono Clock and Sorcery Jokers), and they all come out on the same day. Granted, Kami no Rhapsody will probably take up 150% of my spare time for a couple weeks after it comes out, I still plan to play all of them at some point.