General Visual Novel Topic

Ok, one, I was just stating my opinion and asking you a simple question. No need to get so sarcastic and accusing. I respect that you have a different opinion, I was just wondering why. Thats part of discussion.

Two, I would love to hear some examples of books where the protagonist goes off on random tangents about abortion and the like. I don’t recall ever reading any. And just because I’ve never read any doesn’t mean I don’t like reading. Obviously, I like visual novels, which are mostly reading. (Although recently I’ve found myself not enjoying regular books as much because they lack music and visuals).

nah, don’t worry about it. its not like you need a set amount of knowledge on the subject to talk about it, that was just something I decided to snag the argument on.

If anything, I just ask that you try them both out when their translations finish. (and/or wait until Friday? hopefully It’ll be done by then. imeanwut? I don’t have anything AoKana related in the works or anything, I swear!)

1 Like

I wasn’t sarcastic and accusing :frowning: you misunderstood me. Just asking your opinion. There are a lot of people that don’t like books.
“The perks of being a wallflower”, it’s a good example for me.

Well then, I’m very sorry for accusing you of being accusing ^^;
I hope you can understand why I would take the question, “So you don’t like most books, right?” in such a way, especially after making what I consider to be a pretty huge generalization.

I havent read “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”, and unfortunately I havent read or watched Oregairu yet either, though I’ve heard great things about both of them. I’m sure that there are books and stuff that do have protagonists like that (Actually, Yukito from AIR is kinda like that; its just his off-topic, worldview-ish thoughts tend to be extremely abstract and philosophical and are actually connected to the philosophical meanings and undertones of the story).

Like I said, I respect that you do enjoy that, but I hope we’ve all explained well why it doesn’t occur as often as you might like in VNs.

To answer your question, let me raise another question to you: what Visual Novel has any of the characters’ worldview explored except for the protagonist?

The point I’m trying to make is that when a VN protag’s worldview isn’t explored, then neither will the VN’s heroine’s. For your example, with Steins;Gate. Sure, we don’t know how OkaRin really thinks, but do we even know how any of the other characters think?

And in cases that do achieve this condition, they are the cases where the writers intend to make a self-insert character so that point is moot from the get-go already.

1 Like

You can’t just ignore the context of a discussion, and then chip in with completely invalid comments, just because of the name of the thread.

Yeah, this discussion felt over to me… Guess the other opinions are flooding in :stuck_out_tongue:

I either say all-ages or non-ero for clarity.

Apparently I missed what made him a character… Me and Naoki had a quick discussion about Oregairu, and why people’s views on it are usually so polarizing. It’s either praised a lot or regarded as incredibly generic.

A bit off topic, but books are probably the form of entertainment I dislike the most… although movies come pretty close.
When you lack an imagination, you are impatient, and you are ignorant of ideals and morals, like I am, most books just end up being a waste of time.

I didn’t get any sarcasm out of that o.o You need a brighter outlook~

Oh wow, a situation where I can actually recommend Mein Kampf! It’s awfully disconnected, and no real message gets established. It’s pretty frustrating at times. Perfect example.

1 Like

I have a question… have you ever played a VN without a guide, without perfectly clicking every option that leads you to one route? Aka, picking options specific to your own characteristics?

You have to look at those moments to see if your character would be like you. You don’t need the deep input of them because YOU get the ability to think like that. If your protagonist has a different method of thinking, then think about what’d be different if he had another mind set. (i.e., I’ve often tried thinking through Chihaya’s route in Rewrite if Kotarou was okay with getting blood on his hands, since it’s the route I’d end up in if I chose for myself).

The VN protagonist I’ve most associated myself with is Yuuichi of Kanon, and half of his thinking is blocked because of amnesia. Why? Because I input his scenario down, not random thought processes.

You’re the same kind of person that probably thinks Link is a silent protagonist when in reality his dialogue has been removed so you create it yourself.

1 Like

Ha! Hyyaah! HAH!

The record example, removing the rest of an argument to present a joke in said argument as if to derail it, when instead proving the idiocy of those who act like they know everything Link does in the games.

That was confusing~ Be a bit more clear with your sentences. “The record example” doesn’t connect to anything in the rest of your post, and you should have used “while” instead of “when.” This is a forum, not a book of poorly-written riddles.

I was just making a WW joke, based on the first thing I imagine whenever someone mentions Link. I didn’t remove anything, or derail anything, (not even possible with this forum format) or act like I know what Link does in every Zelda game. I don’t even play video games, and I can’t act like I know something I’ve never experienced; that’s beyond comprehension for me. @.@
With all these random assumptions, you’re making my three word post into some weird fanfiction.

I agreed with what you said, so I had nothing else to quote. You joined my side of the discussion after all~

Yeah, sometimes I step back and ask myself what Link thinks about a situation.

Then I remember that he’s actually me.

A question for the ages. What does @LinkThinks?

The problem is that not all VNs can apply to this. There are VNs that have just 4, 5 or 6 choices throughout the whole common route. And, yes, I did it in Rewrite, but this led me to a bad end. The problem is that I chose to sleep when I was supposed to see Lucia and Chihaya fighting. If I chose the other option, I would have probably ended up in Lucia’s route. . Then, I had to follow the guide.

I was thinking if we should create a General Books Topic… What do you guys think?

I mean, go ahead. Not sure how many people here read on a regular basis, but it’s probably enough.

For the first portion I tend to type the way I think, and I am REALLY incapable at trying to figure out what it looks like in the minds of other people, hence why a lot of people question if English really is my first language when it is :frowning:

As for the rest, I highly owe you an apology, I thought it was a joke to derail me, rather than simply a joke for the humor of it, so I’m sorry for that attack.

Majikoi has been in the news recently. The Fuwanovel team recently finished QC on Miyako’s route, completing the project. A patch is in the works. link

HOWEVER, it seems JAST is planning on licensing it. The comment by herkz here and Fuwanovel’s discussion topic here further proves this.

honestly this game is fucking cursed and i have no doubts on it now

How is it cursed? Licensing hints at an official release… and that’s like… as released as something can ever be.

1 Like

obviously you dont know what shit this game has gone through

What it went through before doesn’t matter. You said you have no doubts now implying you didn’t before :stuck_out_tongue:

If it is being licensed, then it has a chance of being in the best place it ever will, and it’s achieved something that thousands upon thousands of VNs will never manage.