General Visual Novel Topic

I would have to agree with @Schiller on Doki Doki. The best way I can put it without spoilers; it’s very, very different from the type of game it presents itself as, and I would recommend it for that and because it uses some really interesting ideas from a game mechanics perspective that I’ve never really seen games use before.
Edit: Plus it’s only a 4.5-5 hour game, so it doesn’t take too long to get going.

If I may be so bold, our sister site Rokkenjima.org is going to be hosting a Bookclub soon to celebrate the release of the last 4 arcs on Steam. If you’re interested in chatting about the story and sharing your experience with other people you might head over there and take a look! No pressure of course but I’ve certainly enjoyed my time over there :yahaha:

3 Likes

I am re reading Muv Luv and G Senjou No Maou with my friend on Steam. We are also reading Clannad,Princess Evangile,Dengeki Stryker,Steins Gate,and Tokyo Babel on Steam. I am also reading Air fantranslation. I love reading visual novels that are Nakiges,romcoms,drama,Otomes,Utsuges,and Mysteries.

3 Likes

That’s a lot of VNs :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Thanks, Magus, I’ll check it out!

And yeah, that’s a lot of VNs, many of them pretty considerable in length!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: If My Heart Had Wings General Discussion

Last week in order to get ready for reading a lot, I finished reading IMHHW. To hold me over before LB I finished reading Lucy - the eternity she wished for. My thoughts for the first one will be on the topic… someday. But I really really enjoyed Lucy. There’s just something about these short robot focused vns that I just really love… My only problem was no auto mode. I have never played a vn that didn’t have an auto mode. But yeah anyways I played it with Japanese voice and got the true end as well as got all the achievements. I rate Lucy a 10/10 would hug again. If you have money to spare before LB costs, I recommend Lucy if you’ve already read Planetarian and Harmonia, especially now since it’s on sale.

4 Likes

I’ve never been able to enjoy auto mode. I much prefer to move at my own pace—sometimes I want to reread something, or sometimes auto will just take too long to switch.

I like reading vns when I eat dinner in my dorm now, so auto is super useful. Also I can just kinda sit back and watch the story unfold. Sometimes I click when the story is too slow but most of the time I like auto.

2 Likes

I finally completed Danganronpa v3, and boy was it a wild ride. The main theme this time is truth vs lies, The characters are loveable, the environment is gorgeous, and the CGs are just beautiful, the class trials got new improvments, and there’s alot of minigames. The story however has a little bit too many twists. And THAT ending! im not gonna spoil anything, but it really makes you question what was a lie and what was true. I definitly recommend this VN even if you didn’t play the first two.

also: magic girl loli is best girl
efa26e704516b444a5916cebec79bf3d

2 Likes

So I recently finished playing through Doki Doki Literature Club and thoroughly enjoyed it. I only wish that I had discovered the true nature of the game on my own rather than the thumbnails of recommended/popular YouTube videos hinting at it (thanks Internet :peeved:).

Anyway, its premise reminded me of a 2013 visual novel titled Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi. I’ve only read the plot synopsis of this one and seen the translated ending scene on YouTube since it never got an English release and because I don’t play H-games.

I wanted to ask anyone who has played both of these games which of them was better. Just out of curiosity.

I’m basically in the same situation! I played DDLC, and I have Totono installed, but I haven’t played through it yet.

If I were to trust my friend’s opinion on the matter, he said that DDLC’s fourth wall breaking and creepiness level is higher than Totono’s (not actually a spoiler but just in case)

I might get back to you after I play it, but I can’t tell when it’ll be

Having played both and given them similar overall ratings, I’d say that both have their strong and weak points. Having read Totono first, my gut reaction was that DDLC was just Totono lite, but now that I’ve had a few months to digest both games, I think that despite their superficial similarities and shared meta commentary , the points that both games are trying to make are different.

To me, Totono was much more focused on calling out the “infidelity” aspect that comes with most romance visual novels, where you’re expected to go after multiple girls. That’s why in the end of the game, you’re forced to choose only one of the girls, with no option to reload and see the other ending (unless you play through the entire thing a second time and delete your data), and why the game only punishes you after you try financing the second girl.

Meanwhile, DDLC doesn’t touch on that quite as much (although it is mentioned), but instead seems to criticize how modern VN players don’t quite view the girls in their games as full-fledged human beings. That’s why Monika is the only “real” girl there.

In the end, which message comes off more strongly comes down to personal preference. I thought that DDLC had the better presentation, but Totono had the better characters. Like I said, strengths and weaknesses.

2 Likes

Is that something limited to modern players? Characters are characters, not real humans, so it makes sense that people would treat them as such.

1 Like

Honestly, it’s probably not. And I agree with that, which may be why DDLC didn’t hit me as hard as some other people.

Just played this…

I found this to be very enjoyable and it should appeal to anyone who also enjoyed Planetarian and Harmonia although it doesn’t quite hit those standards. It’s another VN really asking how individuals and human society would respond to and deal with androids/gynoids which are practically indistinguishable from real people, at least at first appearance (too overtly cheerful and she speaks in 3rd person English which StarfishBender can’t criticise thanks to Fuuko!) . Of course Lucy is unashamedly Moe which is bound to affect our response in some way…

I completed this in a fairly leisurely 10 hours, the story managed to make quite an impact on me ( that damned phantom onion slicer came in again) if not terribly original. I listened to the Japanese VA rather than the native Korean - only Lucy is voiced). It would surely be a welcome way for most VN fans to spend a day and it’sinexpenesive although the value for money pales compared to Clannad or LitBUs.

Having said that about Moe gynoids though, you have to go a long way for cuteness to beat the very unMoe Gortys, and I would like to see a VN trying to pose the same questions of just how human a robot could be treated if it looked like nothing other than a mechanical patchwork. Nonetheless, it’s an obvious move to blur the lines between AI non-human and human and it’s a neat addition to the genre.

3 Likes

Recently I has been remembering Himegari Dungeon Meister, someone know some other VNs where you play as the bad guy the most of the time?. I don’t mind if it is already translated or not.

I’m playing a lot of novels right now.I just finished recently Muv Luv Alternative poor Meiya :(.Right now i’m reading Steins Gate 0 Litlle Busters English Edition and Kamidori Alchemist Meister.I finished so far Rewrite,Litlle Busters original version .Grisaia no Kajitsu,Yume Miru Kisuri,Muv Luv Extra Unlimited Alternative and Steins Gate.

1 Like

wtf 10 hours? That’s hella long… I finished it in 3. Anyways, I forgot to talk about this when I read it. I read it about a week before LB!EE release so I just needed something to fill in the time. I was reading this right after seeing my friend play Doki Doki so seeing how pure Lucy was just warmed my heart 3x more than it would have under normal circumstances. It doesn’t match up to my love for Key kinetic novels but it was great fun. My only problem with it was that it didn’t have auto mode. Wtf kind of vn doesn’t have auto mode? I also bought it when it was on sale for 50% off so it was more worth it than normally.

1 Like

If i can ask what visual novels you would recomend me to play?I don’t have any preferences.