General Visual Novel Topic

very different indeed. All of the names listed are on the lower end of my list; except for Yoru, but I haven’t played Konosora yet.

But at least I agree with you regarding Haruka’s route in LB! It was also the one I least like (the drama felt forced for me). But I also didn’t like Haruka (I hate outgoing, playful girls. And also onee-chans, senpais or girls that tease you. And also, forgot to mention this, childhood friends that are with the protag since the childhood usually have a boring relationship with him, since the two of them already know each other and for a long time)

That was the charm of it. The drama was forced, and a bit stressful, but not to NagiAsu levels, so it was enjoyable.

Wow, you hate more stuff than I do… o.o

I enjoyed NagiAsu far more than it, and the drama didn’t feel forced for me. They were teenagers with feelings and dramas a teen normally deal with.

What kind of girls do you hate?

I generally like outgoing and playful girls, but I can agree on everything else. Granted, I have found that I can very much enjoy a few of those characters when done properly, but for the most part I hate them too.

[quote=“Takafumi, post:312, topic:108”]
The drama was forced, and a bit stressful, but not to NagiAsu levels, so it was enjoyable.
[/quote]wait… did you not like NagiAsu? I for some reason thought that you did. huh. I wonder how I got that.

1 Like

The drama felt more forced that a bi-weekly k-drama for middle aged wives, and I should know, I’ve watched a lot of those.

The ones I don’t like. Specific traits rarely have anything to do with it. Some people you just like, others you just don’t.

My thoughts after it ended were: I wish I could give this 11/10, but I can’t, so I’ll give it an 8/10.
I enjoyed it a lot, despite it’s problems, and if Tari Tari and Shirobako didn’t exist, NagiAsu would be the best P.A. Works anime IMO.

1 Like

oh ok, so then I was remembering correctly.

[quote=“Takafumi, post:315, topic:108”]
The ones I don’t like. Specific traits rarely have anything to do with it. Some people you just like, others you just don’t.
[/quote] you know, this is probably the most wishy washy statement about preferences I’ve heard in a long while, but I’ll be damned if I don’t agree with it.

Ahaha, it’s hard to not be wishy-washy about that kind of stuff. Too many exceptions and unknowns to just blame something on an archetype.

If you looked at my top 30 anime characters list, there’d be at least one personality of every category. There’s Tsunderes, antisocial characters, reverse traps, royals, food-addicts, slow talkers, sport fanatics, bubbly characters, fashion fiends, shy people, club presidents, otakus, book lovers, onee-samas, airheads, yanderes, detectives, heroes, slaves, singers, models… the list goes on and on.

I’m all for disliking a certain character, but I can’t say I hate a whole category of characters~

2 Likes

Oooh, Anonymous;Code has my interest. Sounds crazy interesting.

1 Like

Gonna start reading the Zero Escape (999 and VLR) series very soon. I hope they live up to their reputation^^ It’s written by the same guy who did Ever17 or something like that, isn’t it?

2 Likes

It is! And they’re both really fun, as escape games and as visual novels

I’ve just finished Clover Day’s common route. It was short, but pretty enjoyable. There were a lot of flashbacks and they were very useful to set the mood of the story and to give us some information. It felt really nostalgic, there were some very heartwarming moments. And all the heroines were likable for me, there wasn’t a single one I disliked. But also there was no one that I LOVED.

While there was no specific song of the soundtrack I found AWESOME, there was hardly any annoying song there. Almost all the songs were good.

But there were two flaws: excessive comedy (specially dirty jokes) and the pervertedness of ALL the characters (except the teacher). Really, the pervertedness of the heroines completely destroyed their cuteness or moeness. And the protagonist was SUPERperverted (even his father was, lol). It was really annoying.

And about the plot, there wasn’t really a plot. Well, there was a bit of it, but I wouldn’t call it plot. But (at least for me) this is good, because it means there is no plot to get in the middle of the routes, so they can focus more on the heroines and their own plots.

My expectations for the routes: all the routes are bigger than the common route, so this can count as a plus point, but it can be the opposite too, it all depends on the quality of the routes. There was no romance in the common route, so they saved all the beginning of it to the routes, and this may be bad. But still, I have high expectations for the routes, since the common route really impressed me. I just hope the protagonist doesn’t know all the heroines’ problems (since he knew all of them since childhood), because I always like “the big revelation” part.

Ugh, but I still have to wait for Yakusoku Translation to finish at least one of the routes. Also: I created a no-HCG patch to play it (I don’t know if the common route had H, but apparently not, but I don’t know why the trial version in vndb is listed as +18), so if anyone wants it, just contact me. It doesn’t take off the H-scenes, just the HCGs, since you can easily skip those with ctrl without seeing any gross image.

I basically have 3 ‘favorite’ non-Key VN things, and the rest, I’ll go through them one by one:

1: Type Moon
I started Tsukihime first and finished Arc’s route, put it on hold for some reason after that. Ended up reading FSN then and loved it (for the record: Heavens Feel > Unlimited Blade Works > Fate), so I went back and continued Tsukihime after that.
Ciel’s route was okay, and then I started the Far Side routes and those are what made Tsukihime for me, they were really damn great (Kohaku a best). After Tsukihime I read the PlusDisc and then Kagetsu Tohya. At that time the translation for Fate/Hollow Ataraxia wasn’t finished, so I played Fate/Extra to kill some time (doesn’t really count as VN, but hey). When the FHA tl was released I read it right away and it was great.
Now I’m waiting for the Tsukihime Remake, hoping that Nasu will eventually get off his lazy butt and stop playing Dark Souls and Bloodbourne all day, and for the tl of Mahoutsukai no Yoru.
As a side-note, I’ve watched Kara no Kyoukai, Fate/Zero, Fate/Prototype, half of DEEN’s FSN and am watching UBW.

2: MajiKoi
Not a lot to say here really, a friend recommended this to me and I read it (before the final tl patch was out), and I just enjoyed every bit of it. After finishing all the routes that were translated at that point, I read the translated parts of MajiKoi S, and then Sayaka’s route in MajiKoi A-1, and later came back to the first VN and finished it when the final tl patch came out. Now the team that translated MajiKoi is working on S, and another team started translating A-1 with the goal of translating all the A’s, and just 1 or 2 days ago those teams merged to Skyspear Translations, so here’s hoping that all the MajiKoi’s will be translated soon™
Top 5 girls in no particular order: Wanko, Miyako, Tsubame, Benkei, Momo

3: no Naku Koro ni
Haven’t quite finished Umineko yet (Finished Ep4 yesterday, dat Dreamenddischarger scene, Ange a best), but so far it’s awesome, and Higurashi was really great too. While reading Higurashi I even kinda recognized Ryukishi07’s writing style from Lucia’s route in Rewrite. Another funny thing I noticed is how the music is getting better with each game, so I’m expecting a lot from Umi Chiru here (which I will start in ~30min btw) :smiley:

Those are my 3 favorite non-Key-Franchises for VNs, but I’ve read other stuff too, like G-Senjou no Maou, Katawa Shoujo, Hoshizora no Memoria and Grisaia no Kajitsu. Currently on-hold are Ever17, Katahane and Narcissu; after I finish Umineko I’ll either continue one of them or read Ayakashibito. And once summer semester is over, I’ll read Air like I promised in my introduction, and Kanon if I get to it :3

3 Likes

you poor soul. It’s been like 7 years and we got a PV 3 years ago? Mahoyo is my favorite non-Key VN, so I get to wait probably literally 15-20 years for the sequel, which is supposedly going to start being produced after the Tsukihime remake. Nasu please have mercy.

1 Like

Wow this topic hasnt seen any love since Ian was banned.

Ooooo yay another Type-Moon fan. Havent read Tsukihime yet but I love the Fate series and Kara no Kyoukai.

Really want to read MajiKoi and Higurashi/Umineko but as with most things I havent had time yet.

@suikashoujo , you could contribute to this topic if you want, since you play untranslated VNs. I’m sure most of us would love to read your thoughts about them.

Well, I’m still incredibly new to untranslated VNs, so I don’t know how much help my thoughts will be, but I guess I could do a post on what I’ve read so far.

Euphoria: it gets a bad rap because of its extreme content, but it’s actually got a pretty interesting story. I’d recommend checking it out when it comes out in English if you think you can stomach it. Worst case, skip the h scenes.

Fraternite: thought it would be like euphoria. It wasn’t. It was terrifying. Moving on.

Mashiro Summer: a little-known gem I stumbled upon on vndb, and ended up giving a shot after hearing the opening by KOTOKO. It wasn’t perfect, as it had some painfully boring slice of life during the routes (as well as one awful route that took me a month to finish because nothing happened), but the true route- as well as some other heroine routes- had some near Key-level drama and unique circumstances. Would definitely recommend this one here of all places, as I know for a fact most of us like that sort of thing.

Those are the only ones I’ve completed so far. Right now I’m reading Midori no Umi. I’ve heard it gets pretty creepy later on, and there are hints that not everything is as nice as it seems, but so far the common route is a pretty calming read.

2 Likes

Just started Tsukihime a couple of days ago now that the book club is done and I can think of something other than AIR. I’ve been meaning to play it forever since I really really enjoyed Fate. I had a hard time starting out though because the backgrounds are so dull and color washed, and I tend to have issues with non-voiced VN’s but I can get over it because the story has finally hooked me. I hit the point where you see Arc for the first time and have the “episode” and stopped right after that, and I’m really looking forward to picking it back up. As for FH/A I think I’m going to wait until they finish patching in the voices before I read it.

[quote=“Yerian, post:324, topic:108”]
Really want to read MajiKoi and Higurashi/Umineko but as with most things I havent had time yet.
[/quote]Sounds like me all three of those are high on my list of to-do’s.

[quote=“Kaze, post:323, topic:108”]
you poor soul. It’s been like 7 years and we got a PV 3 years ago?[/quote]
Never lose hope! I thought the MajiKoi translations were done for, but then it suddenly went really fast :smiley:

[quote=“Yerian, post:324, topic:108, full:true”]
Ooooo yay another Type-Moon fan. Havent read Tsukihime yet but I love the Fate series and Kara no Kyoukai.[/quote]
Tsukihime is closer to KnK than Fate in its theme, but a bit darker. @Bowiie already got a slight taste of it with his first meeting with Arc :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Yerian, post:324, topic:108, full:true”]Really want to read MajiKoi and Higurashi/Umineko but as with most things I havent had time yet.
[/quote]MajiKoi doesn’t really have to be read all at once, you can just read a few scenes and then take a break, since it’s so Slice of Life-ish. For Higu/Umi I recommend doing 1 Arc within 2-3 days though, so you don’t get confused with what’s going on, and having a good memory for details and information will help too, so you can put the pieces together to figure out what’s going on^^

[quote=“Bowiie, post:327, topic:108”]
Just started Tsukihime a couple of days ago now that the book club is done and I can think of something other than AIR.[/quote]Are you using music from the moonlit archives for the OST? Because the original OST is meh. I still have a .rar of the music I used for Tsuki and KT on mega, can post the link if you want

[quote=“Bowiie, post:327, topic:108”]As for FH/A I think I’m going to wait until they finish patching in the voices before I read it.[/quote]They’re going to do that? That’s going to be… interesting, because there’s a slight issue with there being voices… those who’ve read it will know what I mean^^

1 Like

I haven’t done anything to it so yeah I’m assuming I’m still using the original. I’ve noticed there is one song in particular that tricks me, because when the song runs out it stops for about a second before it loops again, and more often than not I’ll think its a song change in the middle of the scene.

[quote=“Skyzzed, post:328, topic:108”]
They’re going to do that? That’s going to be… interesting, because there’s a slight issue with there being voices… those who’ve read it will know what I mean^^
[/quote]Yeah they started working on it back in March, but I figured once they released it on Vita with voices it wouldn’t be long before someone ripped them out of there.