General Anime Discussion

Less than 45 seconds is amazing and gets me inspired every time. Promise is also fantastic.

As for the OPs, Euphoric Field is definitely in my top 3 favourite anime openings of all time.

2 Likes

I’ll have to give Promise another listen. I have a bad habit of listening to an OST once and putting all my favourites into a playlist and just neglecting the rest.

That ED with the almost but not quite 4-chords progression intro was always my favorite of the bunch.
“Egao de itakute~~” Hype guitar.

I’ve been saying it for a long time now but, Mother’s Rosario is best arc~

1 Like

I always remember wishing that this song Had a full version in the OST. It’s so short, but it’s such an exciting instrumental. I want it to keep going. ef had such a fantastic OST. Easily the best Shaft production and one of my top 10 favorite anime.

2 Likes

Perhaps you’re saying this because you think Manaka cried too much. But at least that fit with her personality, actually it was part of her personality. Unlike Haruka, or specially Kanata.

Manaka doesn’t even come to mind. I wouldn’t say it’s down to a specific character either.
The drama rarely ever stopped. The only real resting point was mid-way through the anime, and it was very brief. It was draining, and because of that, it felt forced.

The drama in the Haruka route was forced by the characters.
The drama in NagiAsu was forced by the writers.

Oh, I get it. But I think in the case of NagiAsu, it depends if you’re okay with tons of drama or if you aren’t and if you prefer a lighter break. Personally, I’m okay with tons of drama, but I still like lighter atmospheres when they don’t feel boring for me.

But whatever it is, whether the drama is forced or not, it depends a lot on the perspective. A drama feels forced for me when I can’t feel it well or when it feels unbelievable or unnatural for me. However, from other person’s perspective the drama can be felt pretty well by him/her.

I’m okay with it. As I mentioned, I’ve watched a lot of K-drama, and you don’t really get breaks in that due to how long episodes are.
I liked NagiAsu a lot, but it’s pretty obvious to me that the drama was forced, even if it kept the show going.

Context has to factor in for me. In NagiAsu, there wasn’t really context to the drama, it was spontaneous and on-the-spot most of the time, which can feel natural when using sparingly, but NagiAsu used it almost every episode.
With the Haruka route the drama was actually forced by the characters. Haruka felt she had to force the drama to get back at Futaki. Futaki felt she had to force the drama to put Haruka in place and look good.

Neither of them felt natural, but one had enough context to justify it as reasonable from my point of view, while the other was just doing drama for the sake of drama.

I admire your courage. I… Like K-Pop.

So you’re basically saying that the forced drama in Haruka’s route was actually planned by the writers and it was part of the route. Does this mean Futaki was just pretending to be suffering that much when she actually didn’t feel as much as she said? Hm… That’s why I still felt like Futaki was a bad girl, even after the route finished.

I have no problem with drama for the sake of drama.

I’m actually not sure if I want to vote for this or not x.x

I remember liking it, but I also remember thinking that if Inaban wasn’t in it it’d just be trash. The idea of the anime was a nice idea, but I never actually cared about any of the drama around the blonde, the ginger, and cheery-girl.

A part of me says it doesn’t deserve to really be recommended because a core part of it isn’t great, but a part of me is getting hyped over the ED segues and the prospect of miniban scenes.

Does it get any better? The first two episodes were dreadful and the two big characters aren’t likable in the least.
I’ve heard the general opinion is that it gets worse as the episodes go on, which doesn’t sound promising.

IMO the show’s high point is Episode 6 and 7. Other than that though if you don’t care for the Kira vs L battle of wits you probably won’t enjoy the show.

1 Like

Where did you hear that from? From what I know people who watched death note was always saying positive things about it and that they were blown away.
It does get better you just have to stick with it for some longer time to get used to it I guess.
Its serioulsly one of the most epic animes I have ever seen and it made my heart bump so fast I couldnt even breath lol.
EDIT: there’s also a lot of mindfucks that will srsly blown your mind

Are we… discussing which ones of the nominated Anime we don’t like and why…?

Everyone I’ve asked about it, and a general consensus on 2011 Crunchyroll and /r/anime, plus the a-p reviews I’ve read of it.

If you want. I was just saying how hard it is for me to judge if Kokoro Connect is good or not, and was asking if Death Note would get better even though I didn’t like the first two eps.
Nowadays I pretty much drop an anime after 1 episode if it isn’t interesting, but I sat through 2 for Death Note because of the positive reception it had. Too lazy for all this anime stuff =w=

YES! It’s so damn hard to find people who feel the same way as I do about School Days!

After finishing the School Days anime, I couldn’t get it out of my head for about 5 days. During these 5 days, I have been contemplaiting on one specific question: “If a work of fiction elicits a negative emotion from its audience, is it a good work or a bad work?”
Fictional works that make you feel happy, sad or scared are obviously good. But when it came to hatred and fury, the answer wasn’t as obvious to me. In the end, though, I concluded that making the audience feel a certain emotion is always an amazing accomplishment, no matter if the emotion is positive or negative. Either way, our hearts are moved.
Incidentally, intentionally disgusting splatter movies that make you want to vomit don’t count. Nausea isn’t an emotion. It’s a reflex.

School Days made me feel incredible fury and hatred, all directed at a single character. As I mentioned in the “Currently Airing Anime” topic:

Incidentally, I sympathized a lot with Kotonoha, which may be the main reason for my rage.

PS: Nice Boat!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t expect anything less from the almighty Nick! This pretty much sums up why I find it so brilliant. I asked myself that same question for so long that I just had to accept that with how much it made me think, I just had to give it the praise it deserved. It accomplished what it set out to do.

1 Like

Both, depending on how you look at it. I won’t say School Days is a good show, but it’s one of the anime I use to introduce people to anime (as you do with all “it’s not what it seems” anime.)

It’s memorable, and at the end of the day, that’s all that matters. Positive or negative, as long as you are thinking about it, it succeeded.

On a less serious note, my experience of it was soo different to yours!

I moved onto another show straight after. I understood the ending of School Days, but at the time I was too young to understand everything else that happened. Young age doing the automatic censorship that it does =3= Psychology~

I didn’t know what it was about until about 4 years later, when a friend got a copy of HQ and was streaming it for all the hype surrounding it. Then I remembered and understood everything that happened~

But yeah, hate can be successful sometimes. Just not in DC, 11eyes, YnS, or Shuffle!.

Since you brought it up. I started out so very hype for Death Parade because of Death Billiards. It started out just as strong as the short, imo. And then, just as everyone else suspected, it got increasingly repetitive up to episode 6. To make matters worse, the very vague way they kept trying to show you glimpses of the overarching plot and how the world works we confusing and kinda annoying. After episode 6, I got kinda bored, and very busy, so I decided to just take a break from it until it was over.

I watched the last 6 episodes all at once they were so good. I suddenly started liking characters that had annoyed me the whole time. Episodes 8 and 9 were two of the best episodes of an anime I’ve seen in a while. It reminded me why I loved Death Billiards so much in the first place.

Honestly, the only thing that I ended up being dissatisfied with about this show was how vague and inconclusive it was. There was tons of mysteries about the world and the arbitrators that were left wide open. Despite knowing that I could even get repetitive again, I would love to see a second season to get some closure on these things.

1 Like

I liked Death Note. It felt very logically written and the presentation wasn’t bad. Some twists were overly obvious, but others weren’t quite. It’s the type of thing that you’d have to be into in order to like it though. As @IkaCZ said, it had a lot of really good mindfuck moments.

@Takafumi, I would recommend maybe sticking with it for around eight~ episodes total. I can’t guarantee you won’t find it to be a waste of time, but I don’t think the first two episodes are really fair for considering any anime. (Except for maybe Time of Eve, or FLCL which only had six episodes total, lol.)

1 Like