General Visual Novel Topic

Getchu also announced their award ranking result

Need to play tsuriotsu to see what so wonderful about Luna that she deserved to win best heroine for 3 years in a row.

2 Likes

People have already started translating AoKana? That’s interesting. I’ve always been interested in both of sprite’s works honestly, and I’ve been reading the KoiChoco manga (because a friend of mine was translating it for a while). I guess I really should try out at least the partial patch. I wouldn’t mind it not being complete as I don’t quite have the luxury of time to read it fully if I don’t like it XD

ok, now I just feel bad. 18 of those 20 VNs I was interested in and/or have played. at least when there were 50 I could say that I didn’t know the majority of them, but its like they took all the ones I knew from the other list and just rearranged them.

[quote=“Zak89, post:235, topic:108”]
best heroine
[/quote]I have to admit I had a good laugh looking at this list. almost every girl I know from there fits into a pretty similar role; and then there’s Maia, who is just about as far from said role as you can get.
I’m also a bit saddened that Mashiro ranked higher than Asuka, since one was my least favorite heroine in the game and the other was my favorite; but at least they’re both on the list, right?

[quote=“Pepe, post:236, topic:108”]
I wouldn’t mind it not being complete as I don’t quite have the luxury of time to read it fully if I don’t like it XD
[/quote]I had similar thoughts when I started AoKana. I just wanted a VN to play in the week or so before I could play Holy Breaker! and I honestly didn’t even think I would finish it for a while. Two days later, I didn’t even care if Holy Breaker! came, as I was more interested in AoKana, and by the end of the week it had become my favorite game of 2014.

I can’t really speak for KoiChoco, but if it’s anything like that, you probably don’t want a partial patch.

1 Like

Well, as I said, Chisato’s route focused too much on the plot, and I don’t really like when this happens. I prefer to leave the plot to the Common Route, and the heroine routes to be almost entirely focused on the heroine or a heroine-related plot. But, it was good. I liked the art, the songs and the romance very much. Just hope the other heroines’ routes are better.

But what made you like AoKana so much?

Taking the topic off Sprite for the moment, at least until @AngelofDeath720 gets back and goes on a fangasm now that someone gave him a reason to do so.

Has anyone heard ofSilverio Vendetta? Probably not, since it won’t be out until tomorrow, but I found myself with an extra hour earlier today and it looked interesting enough to give a shot, so I downloaded the demo and played it for a while.

for the most part, the demo was pretty good. the characters are decent enough, the art is passable, and the scenario so far looks really interesting; but there was one HUGE thing that stood out to me and actually makes me want to play it on release: the music.
About 5 minutes into the VN you start to hear Vendetta(who I’m assuming is the main heroine) sing. What caught me off guard, was that the song kept playing, even when Vendetta was speaking. A bit later she started humming a different song, and it was only about 2 minutes into that when I realized that this was the background music. No instruments, just one character singing. Of course, this made me really interested, so I started paying a lot more attention to the music; but when the music changed I was disappointed to hear the normal slew of instruments. Though moments later she started humming along with the instruments. A few songs like this later and a battle broke out, and I thought “there’s no way she can be in this song too, you can’t really sing along with epic battle music like this.” But you know those oddly angelic voices that sometimes appear in the background of really epic music? Yep, that was her. She literally brings a vocal element to almost every song that was played in the demo, and I think that’s actually a really interesting lever to play with in a VN that I’ve never seen before.

1 Like

[quote=“AngelofDeath720, post:158, topic:28”]

When I say emptiness I don’t mean they don’t have any personality, it’s just that they usually don’t say how they think, their world vision isn’t explored. The only thing that’s explored about them is their feelings. Kotarou is totally different from the other VN protagonists, as he expresses his opinion about a lot of stuff, specially in the common route.
It’s not about what I’ve been reading. Take a look at the majority of monthly eroge releases and you’ll see what I am talking about.

There’s your problem. You are comparing an eroge with a standard VN. They are two different categories.

Most of the VNs I’ve read have had protagonists that were characters in their own right. Kotarou doesn’t really stand out imo. There are much better, and there are much worse. There are even eroge protagonists that have more character.

as someone who actually reads a lot of the eroge released every month, I don’t see what you’re talking about. Unless you’re specifically looking at nukige, the protagonists have been pretty good lately as far as I can tell.

If you can name a specific game and/or character that looks hollow I’ll look into it, but the ones I’ve picked up on my own have not fallen into this pit.

the majority of eroge releases are nukiges, but I’m not talking only about them. As most eroges focus on the heroines, the protagonist rarely gets real focus. And, again, I’m not talking about gary stus here, all I’m saying is that the protagonist’s world view isn’t really explored.
For example: do you know whatis the protagonist’s opinion about abortion? If so, why does he think like that? How does he see the people who don’t think like this? These kind of question is rarely answered for a eroge protag.

if you call visual novel something that has no ero content, then i can agree with you. But in this meaning of the term, there are VERY few VNs compared to the amount of eroge.
I’m gonna quote a protag the everyone knows: Okabe Rintaro. Yes, he has a very outstanding personality compared to other protagonists, but his world view isn’t really explored in the game. We can know a lot about what he feels, but not what his opinion is.

From my definitions of the terms, VNs are non-ero. Branching from VNs are eroge, and branching from eroge are nukige. You get things like Nakige and Utsuge, but they are more plot-related categories than the others.

It doen’t think it really matters if there are very few VNs compared to eroge, there is still a difference. But we can compare Kotarou to eroge protags too if you want. I’ll just list from my VNDB list until I get to one who doesn’t hold up to Kotarou.

G-Senjou
Tomoyo After
Kara no Shoujo
Narcissu
ONE
Tokoyo no Hoshizora
Utawarerumono

And then my love for trashy romance stories gets in the way.

Still, there are lots and lots of VNs that out-do Kotarou. There are lots that are worse, but lots that are better. If you think about it, Kotarou is an incredibly character-less character. He is malleable, and everything he believes and holds dear is defined by the choices you make. He doesn’t have a defined personality outside of the common route, because he becomes so different throughout rewrite.

The Okabe Rintaro we know is a person who doesn’t care about the real world, but not in the way you might think. All he cares about is the people inside his world. Basically, he dedicates himself to the people around him, and doesn’t know what to do when they aren’t there. He believes that everything should have an answer, and that if it doesn’t appear to have one you should search for it. He’s kind of arrogant, and won’t let something go, even if it would be more beneficial to just be a bit lax.

Of course, the tricky thing with choosing Okabe is that he’s from a time travel story. His personality is different over different world lines, and it can be very drastic. Just look at the Gamma and Omega AF. Completely different person.

I think you’re misunderstanding something here. Just because a game relies heavily on sexual content doesn’t make it a nukige. In an average month, maybe 10% of the eroge released are truly nukige, and even then they don’t usually sell well. The market right now heavily favors moege and charage; which as you would expect make up most of the releases.

Alright, I’m gonna have you think about this one for a bit. Have you ever played an eroge with a truly bad protagonist? If so, it probably wasnt a very pleasant experience, and you would probably think harder before you buy another eroge from that developer. Fast forward a few years and that developer is probably not selling very well if they still can’t make a good protagonist because no one wants to play as a bad character. See where I’m going with this? A good(or at least decent) protagonist is all but a requirement nowadays.

I’m pretty sure most of the time you could guess his opinions pretty accurately based off his emotions. If a protagonist is vocal about his opinions then he risks pushing away people that don’t agree with said opinions.

[quote=“Takafumi, post:241, topic:108”]
You are comparing an eroge with a standard VN. They are two different categories.
[/quote]it depends on the context. I’m pretty sure eroge here is just being used as a general term for the medium, in which case a VN would be a specific subcategory of eroge that involves little or no sexual content. Not a big deal though, as I’m slightly confused as to how we’re defining these terms too.

2 Likes

I never said anything about truly bad characters. Even if the protagonist feels kinda empty, doesn’t mean he isn’t decent.

So what is a nukige for you?

Well, you see it like that, but I don’t. His emotions have a limit to what they can show off about his worldview.

While this is true, even if he believed in different things depending of the route, he did believe in something. Change yourself or the world? Why? We got a full extent of his world vision, even if it is very malleable. And I have no problem with this at all, as long as we know the depths of his self (even if there are different selves).

None of the VNs you listed can be called an “average” VN. And when I say Kotarou is the best protag, it’s just my opinion, and it just considers the VNs I’ve already read. As @MalignantSeraph said the market now heavily favors moeges and charages.
While Rewrite was a pretty philosophical VN, the protagonist had to match it, it was no coincidence Kotarou is the way he is. But as moeges and charages usually don’t require such a deep character, we hardly are presented to the way he views the world.

In that case, do “average” VNs get translated?
From what I’ve read, the only titles on my vndb list that didn’t have protagonists with beliefs and opinions are the oelvns and dating sims, neither of which I’d label as “VN.”

1 Like

Yeah, they do. They weren’t as much before because everyone was focusing on the outstanding titles. When I say average VNs I mean most moeges and some charages. Some that are being translated right now:

*Amairo Islenauts
*Astralair
*AoKana
*Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai
*Clover Day’s
*Koichoco

You can see more on fuwazette. Remember: when I say average, I refer to the genre, doesn’t mean it isn’t good.

Okay, I think you are not getting what I mean. They do have beliefs and opinions, but this isn’t very explored. Compare Riki to Kotarou. Riki does have personality, actually his development is the main point of the story. And I like him.

But with Kotarou it’s like that (in the common route, specially): he has a normal, everyday life and he comments his opinion about everyday stuff, and when I say opinion, I don’t mean just one phrase or two. He deeply analyzes the subjects, it’s like we’re inside him.

The way Kotarou narrates is more similar to a book than a VN. Books usually spend a lot of time in “subjects” inside the character’s mind, rather than events.

A nukige is an eroge that is sold explicitly for sexual purposes: aka, its only fap material. Rarely if ever do they have any story or even character development.

[quote=“sillylittlemelody, post:249, topic:108”]
Amairo IslenautsAstralairAoKanaDaitoshokan no HitsujikaiClover Day’sKoichoco
[/quote] you understand that none of those are average, right? Just because it’s a moege or charage doesn’t mean it can’t have other elements

Holy shit, did you just call AoKana average? please, tell me where you live so I can move there and buy some anti gravity shoes and play flying circus!

[/quote]you have books that can see into the future there too?

*Clover Day’s
[/quote]AND its common to have 7 little sisters? wow!

moral of the story: don’t comment on shit you know nothing about.

Daitoshokan alone probably has as much, if not more, supernatural grounding than Rewrite.

2 Likes

So… you mean school-based romance VNs? I’m not sure I see what genre you are talking about.
Would you lump Canvas2 into this? Da Capo? ef? Fortune Arterial? The protagonists for all had strong beliefs.

Oh, I get what you are saying now. Rewrite was a very opinionated VN though. Kotarou has more to say about stuff than anyone I’ve actually met. Someone like Riki feels more realistic. He cares about stuff when it intrudes in his life, but usually he just wants to have fun.

Also, when stuff like that comes up, I’ll usually end up skipping through it. Adding incredibly strong ideals behind a character generally isn’t a good thing to do. Unless you make them dependent on player choices, it can come off as arrogant or annoying. Just look at Emiya Shirou. He had very strong beliefs, and people hated him in at least one route.

@AngelofDeath720 I think you got the idea of this conversation all wrong :stuck_out_tongue:
Fantasy elements, or plot devices, or cast demographics… Those aren’t what we are talking about. It doesn’t matter if Daitoshokan has more supernatural grounding than Rewrite; we’re talking about protagonists.

I haven’t read those VNs, so I can’t comment on them, but in this discussion you want to talk about the protagonist.

1 Like

[quote=“AngelofDeath720, post:251, topic:108”]

Holy shit, did you just call AoKana average? please, tell me where you live so I can move there and buy some anti gravity shoes and play flying circus!

[/quote]you have books that can see into the future there too?

You’re not getting what I call “average”. I think I just used the wrong word. Sorry, English is not my first language. What I mean with “average” is not a bad VN or a VN with no supernatural. I’m just talking about genre and structure.

Rewrite is not “average” because it’s all-ages.

AoKana and Daito as well as the other VNs have some similarities: a branching plot, character-based routes, romance, comedy, H-scenes and is not considered a “global kamige”… Almost all VNs have these traits. When I say “average” I just mean a VN that has shares some basic elements with most VNs. It can be an awesome game, or a terribly bad game. This doesn’t matter. It can have supernatural and it can be pure slice-of-life.

You got it all.

Not exactly school-based, but yeah, all these could be counted in. G-Senjou could fit in my description, but I don’t call it “average” because it’s a kamige for almost everyone that plays it.
And actually, correcting my statement, Utawarerumono can count as “average” too. But since you understood what I was referring to about the protagonists, it doesn’t matter anymore.