General Gaming Discussion

True that It’s not really that buggy, Im just used to Arma 2 being buggy … + DayZ (thats just purely triggering me).

It just gets to a point where bugs become features. However, it is true that Bohemia is doing an awesome job troubleshooting and fixing all the bugs appearing while giving models more and more tools to create more content. Their post-launch services are just amazing.

After playing plenty of Overwatch for the last couple of weeks I became interested in exploring the uses of the character Symmetra but it was rarely well received by teams, especially when on the attacking team. I enjoyed her ability set except for the her sentry turrets one because I dislike using sentry turrets but two because it felt uninspired and didn’t fit very well with her character. When I noticed the references to Portal in her character and seeing the kind of barriers characters like Reinhardt and Winston create, I thought, wouldn’t it be so much nicer if she created light barriers instead of/in addition to sentries like she does in the comic series? Although it would be getting a little too close to a Portal reference.

I can see this kind of ability creating very interesting strategies on maps like Hanamura where they could be used to block off choke points with a somewhat easily breakable but otherwise impassable wall for enemies but allies and their weapons can pass through it, putting it in a flank point would be a good way to be alerted to enemies when they are broken (Unless they are capable of simply climbing over it).

Another interesting addition would be to stand on them help your team across gaps like hardlight bridges in Portal but that could be easily misused like Mei’s icewall sometimes is but in a longer lasting form.

Symmetra is ridiculously strong in the right situations, but only in those situations. I’ve got an 80% win rate with her as one of my most played heroes. She shuts down an area of the map with ease. She’s not a mechanically intensive character, but she is very macro focused. If everyone else is playing a first person game, Symmetra is playing it from a bird’s-eye view.

Point defense maps are easily her best environment. Volskaya, Hanamura King’s Row and Numbani are Symmetra’s playground. Her primary fire is a great zoning tool, and her secondary fire will send slow moving orbs that deal large amounts of damage. You can cut off a whole row of the map with these orbs, assuming no one trying to break through has a dash. The sentries cut off flanks very well, and they secure you a safe place for you to zone and for your teleporter to live for it’s full duration. The shields aren’t much, but they add up quickly, and they are a nice sniper deterrent.

As with everything, there are counters. If there’s a Pharah or a Winston that knows what a Symmetra can do, you won’t be controlling much. If your team isn’t in an organized formation, Symmetra will suffer heavily. If the enemy team have co-ordinated players on voice comms, you’ll have a bad time. Despite all this, she’s a pub-stomper in control maps, and she’s a great tilt tool.

If you want some specific guides for maps, I can drop some info. But yeah, don’t pick her on offense.

By the way, for all Overwatch players (I didn’t know you played, @Takafumi, though I have seen some players named Taka on the Americas server; besides that, I know @Gnashes and @Aspirety play) there’s a weekly tournament coming up Sunday, and they only have like 40 teams signed up where there’s usually 120 teams. Meaning: there’s less competition and plenty of open free spots.

If anyone’s interested, we should form a Kaza Overwatch team! Maybe not this weekend, since y’all might be busy, but for the future (or just for QP or comp), we should totally game together.

I’m on the Americas server; we can probably move to another server as needed, though latency might become a problem. Battle.net: AgentYoda#1601

WARNING Ridicilously long reply incoming WARNING
First off, how did I come to videogames: That is actually the “fault” of my mother. You see, my mother is also a gamer, so way back when she was playing some SNES games, and I found it fascinating, how those little humans were walking around (she was playing Breath of Fire). Since these characters looked like puppets to me, I would then often ask if she’d puppet play, that’s how I called that back then. From there, it was really just a matter of time, that I would eventually play a game myself. And the rest is history.

Now, since I like talking about games I like, I really want to list all games I have played and liked, that’s why I’m saying this is going too be a long post. I’ll try to sort it after consoles, and games that have their own threads here on the forums are not going to be mentioned here, so check the Fire Emblem topic, Final Fantasy topic, Tales of Series topic and Nintendo topic for my opinions about these games. This post will be long enough as is. At the bottom, I’ll put a dividing line and mention games that I have only seen playthroughs off but still like. For some games I can’t say more than “I like it”, those are just going to be mentioned by name. But let’s start with the list, shall we?

Sega Master System

• Phantasy Star
    Even though I just played the remake on the GBA, it was still interesting to see where the series started. While it may not have aged very well, it is the first console RPG to star a female protagonist as far as I know.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

• Secret of Mana
    Gaming household, so I was able to play the game with my mom, it was great.
  • Secret of Evermore
    The music did a lot for this game’s atmosphere.
  • Breath of Fire
    Pretty standard plot, really, but it is one of the first games I saw, and I like its music.
  • Breath of Fire II
    Multiple endings, a game where I sometimes still think about the plot for that reason. And I was terrified of the intro as a child.
  • Chrono Trigger
    Timeless classic.
  • Soul Blazer
    First game from Quintett that I played. I don’t think about this game’s plot as much as the other two, but I’ll mention that fact here already.
  • Illusion of Gaia/Time
    Second Quintett game, see above.
  • Terranigma
    Third Quintett game, and the one I think the most about. I really like the fact that it incorporates its gameplay intro into the plot. For those who don’t know, in the intro the protagonist is seen smashing some vegetables in his village among other things. First thing you’re asked to do when you start the game is apologize for smashing the vegetables the day before.
  • Lufia II Rise of the Sinistrals
    A great game, I like the fact that the romantic subplot that games often have becomes not only a part of the mainplot, but also goes farther than just dating, like most games and stories like to do. I also like to play this game just for the ancient cave, thinking back, that’s my first encounter with Rouge-like gameplay.

Game Boy and Game Boy Color

• Tetris
  • Dragon Quest Monsters
    Mostly childhood memories for this one, am not really into Dragon Quest/Warrior in general.

Game Boy Advance

• Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
    My first Kingdom Hearts, didn’t understand a thing since I didn’t play KH1 yet. But still, it got me into the series. I also actually liked the card system. Didn’t want to have something like that again, but it was fun enough.

Game Cube

• Skies of Arcadia Legends
    That’s where the Vyse part of my nickname comes from. Great RPG, one of the few that has different themes for its cities, and I was happy that the ship battle system was still turnbased and nothing action like, which I was first fearing. I like Vyse for his attitude of “Nothing is impossible”. One of his quotes (abbreviated) is: “No one has ever done it because I haven’t tried yet!”
  • Mystic Heroes
    My first Hack’n’Slay.
  • Lost Kingdoms and Lost Kingdoms 2
    One of my favorite games with a card based combat system. Also, both games have strong female protagonists, always a bonus.
  • Evolution Worlds
  • Phantasy Star Online
    Another game I played with my mom a lot. And since it only gives you some hints about the plot and leaves much open to interpretation, it also gets me to think a lot. I also really like the music of the Ruins in Episode 1 and the Sea Lab Area in Episode 2.

Playstation 2

• Kingdom Hearts
    I’m a Kingdom Hearts fan.
  • Kingdom Hearts 2
    My favorite in the series so far.

Nintendo DS

• Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
    This one had the most challenging gameplay in my opinion. In this one I had to actually learn the enemy patterns.
  • Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded
    The least important story-wise.
  • Elite Beat Agents
    I especially liked the silly little stories, and that’s mainly the reason why I can’t get into Osu!, those stories are missing.
  • Ace Attorney series
    Great stories, great humor, great gameplay. My favorite on the DS is Apollo Justice.
  • Professor Layton series
    While the plot resolutions got sillier with each game, the puzzles were nice and the story was still interesting.
  • Hotel Dusk Room 215
    A nice mystery story, and my first Point & Click Adventure. (At least I’d classify it as such) Well, and from P&C, it’s not a huge leap to get to VNs, I’d say.
  • The World Ends With You
    Got interested in this game through KH 3D, had to import it from the States because it was never published in Europe, really liked its story. This is also the only game where I can listen to hip hop stuff and don’t immidiately think “I hate this music” (I’m not a huge hip hop fan).
  • Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
    The only Castlevania I played, but also the one with my favorite soundtrack, from what I’ve listened to online.
  • Meteos
    Nice Puzzle game, I really like its soundtrack, because it changes a lot depending on how you play.
  • Lock’s Quest
    Doesn’t have the best story, but I mention it because it was my first Tower Defense game.
  • Spectrobes
    Was different enough from Pokemon and decent enough that I was able to like it.

Nintendo Wii

• De Blob 1 and 2
    The jazz soundtrack is what makes this game.
  • Little King’s Story
    Selling point for me was the classical music.
  • Lost in Shadow/A Shadow’s Tale
    You’re playing a shadow and need to change the light so you can move to other places. Overall a fun platformer. Also, finding out the english title from the german one was a pain.
  • Rayman Raving Rabbits
    An actual fun minigame collection, something that seemed to be very rare for Wii.
  • Sonic Colours
    I wanted to see how a sonic game plays, and most sonic fans said that this one feels like a sonic game again, and I liked it.

Playstation Portable

• Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
    Also pretty high on my list of Kingdom Hearts games.
  • Phantasy Star Portable

Nintendo 3DS

• Ace Attorney Dual Destinies
    This series got pretty dark.
  • Professor Layton 5 and 6
    Honestly, the series got weaker as it continued. Still decent games, so I could end the series on a high note. But, credit where credit is due, it actually incorporated its movie into its plot. That is rare, I think.
  • Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright
    Very good crossover. Also, its ending made me cry.
  • Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
    This game made me hyped for KH3.
  • Kid Icarus Uprising
    I know, could have mentioned it in the Nintendo topic, but it’s only one game. Terrific humor, great english voice acting, I love it.

PC

• The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
    My goto Rouge-like when I want to play a game of that genre.
  • BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
    I’m bad at traditional fighting games, but BlazBlue’s story is very interesting.
  • BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
    Also, I don’t have Chrono Phantasma Extend yet.
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer
    Rhythm game meets Rouge-like. And that combo actually works.
  • Long live the Queen
    Kind of fun little game that is actually kinda hard to reach a good ending.
  • Portal 1 and 2
    The humor is great, the puzzles as well, I love both GLaDos and Cave Johnson.
  • Starbound
    Just as many say, it’s kinda Terraria in space, but I like Terraria more.
  • Terraria
    Kind of spoiled this one, huh?
  • To the Moon
    An emotional story.
  • Undertale
    Everyone talks about this game.
  • The Whispered World
    One of Daedalic’s Point & Click Adventures, I have heard the english localizations aren’t the best, but luckily I’m german, so I can play these in their original language. It’s usually the humor that I like about their games.
  • Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
    See above.
  • Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s new Eyes
    Again, see above.
  • Minecraft
    Once, I would build a lot there, nowadays I’m usually playing Complete the Monument Maps.
  • Age of Mythologies
    I’m not the biggest RTS guy, but I liked this one.
  • Touhou series
    I’m one of those rare cases that likes gameplay, music and characters and story.

Now for games that I have only watched. This’ll be both shorter and less organized.

• Silent Hill series
    The Playthroughs I watched did a story analysis and monster design analysis, which made this survival horror series even more interesting.
  • Live-A-Live
    Nice little stories, each feeling different. Of course, the deconstruction of traditional RPG plots in the end is what makes this game so good. Sadly, it never was released outside of Japan.
  • Megaman Battle Network series
    The internet of these games is ridiculous. But the story is at least decent, and the gameplay looks fun.

So that’s finally it, if you want to talk about any of these games with me, feel free to do so. Also, congratulations if you really read all of that.

5 Likes

I’ve always been very interested in Arma but I’ve always been a bit intimidated by it. I’m all for games with steep learning curves (dwarf fortress for example) but usually those games are single player so I don’t really feel under pressure. Is it as hard to jump in to as it looks or am I just being paranoid?

It honestly depends what your intentions are for playing.

Basic Arma: The Control scheme is complex, you HAVE to learn your weapon nomencleture (because a 5.56 with a 30x scope is going to be useless in a fight); and you have to accept that Arma is unbearably quirky and running up a staircase the wrong way can kill you.

Aside from that; it really depends on what gamemode you want to play. Wasteland, King of the Hill, Life Mods, Exile, Epoch, Breaking Point, etc, etc all have their own nuances.

I would recommend avoiding something like Wasteland or King of the Hill unless you have a squad; as superior game knowledge and group tactics will almost always result in your inevitable ownage. Same goes for some of the larger Life Mods (I’m an Admin for the Asylum Life servers). Our veteran players are 3-4+ year Arma players who roll in groups of 5+ and are pretty goods with communication and movement during fights.

For someone totally new; I’d recommend something like Breaking Point to start you out. You have basically nothing, find stuff, kill anyone you see, learn a bit about the game. Of course, different servers have different rules; and you really should read those before playing as server admins can perma-ban you for really anything they want to. (For example, Asylum has a strike policy and likes to give second chances, but not all servers are like that)

It’s got a decently steep learning curve to understand the game; but once you know what you’re doing, you just need to find a group of people and wage war hilarity.

1 Like

(Moved from topic: “Is Tokyo Mirage Sessions any good?”)

Most critics seem to be giving this game favorable review (aside from some cringe-worthy censorship), and I was wondering what you guys thought. Is it worth buying?

I’ve been wondering this as well, I read the reviews and they rated the game much higher than I expected. Someone I know told me their friend has it and they said it was pretty good.

1 Like

From what my friends are telling me and what I’ve tried of it, yes it is good especially if you like Persona, just expect a lot of cliche anime tropes.

I heard it’s a good Persona game, so if you like Persona, it should be fine. There’s problems with it being “too Japanese” for some, but it’s still a good game.

Huh. I’ve never played Persona, but it sounds like a good franchise, so… I might consider it once the price drops. Thanks for the tips. :slight_smile:

Picked it up two days ago and haven’t been able to stop. It’s a very solid RPG and is a ton of fun. Its so bright and colorful and the dungeons are so well designed and the cast are so nice.

It does dive deep into the japanese entertainment industry as part of its major plotline, touching on idols and actors and models, so if that might put you off then it’s a problem. It does a really good job of easing you in and setting the world though.

The ‘Persona’ comparisons are actually really far off, it has a few similarities but it’s very much it’s own game. It’s doesn’t actually play like one at all, it just invokes some similar feelings.

literally every single changed or edited outfit is a better one in the english version.

Anyone looking forward to Fate/Extella this year? Being a musou style game I understand it may put a lot of people off but I think it’s better than the previous two game’s rock, paper, scissor gameplay

Do I need to play Fate/Extra or Fate/Extra CCC first? Or is the story going to be standalone? I’m thinking of picking it up but I don’t know too much about the expanded Fate universe.

1 Like

You probably won’t need to play the previous two but it may be good to look up a few things about the Extra story since at the moment it doesn’t seem to reference much of other two games

1 Like

Huh. I can see your point. It is better than the gratuitous fanservice, at least…

So we got any Guilty Gear players in here? I picked up Revelator pretty recently because the EVO stream for it was hype as hell and it’s been a pretty good time.

My main fighting game series before this was King of Fighters, and I also dabbled pretty heavily into Street Fighter, so needless to say it’s a little hard for me to get used to a lot of the elements in Guilty Gear. There’s also the rather…unique mechanics each fighter brings to the table to get used to, but I’m starting to get to a fairly decent point all things considered.

Maining Jack-O and Raven with a pocket Elphelt at the moment.

Sorry, only playing the spiritual successor (I think that’s what people call it sometimes), BlazBlue. Have been maining Ragna and Noel there, by the way. Oh, and I’m not really good.