General Anime Discussion

ok I just assumed since generally sports anime have the protagonist start off as a loser with no real direction in life to applying themselves in the sport and working hard in a tournament (even if they don’t win)

1 Like

I didn’t love K-On and I dropped Chu-2 :stuck_out_tongue:

Koe no Katachi is drama, but is in no way Slice-of-Life, at least not as most people would see it (and is also not episodic). And the drama is good with Koe no Katachi

I have probably watched that video, called bullshit, and argued on Discord with @KomariKamikita on this topic so uhhh… Yeah I don’t want to go through that all over again, so can we just agree to disagree on this? ^^;

it has elements, some chapters (admittedly will probably be cut) just followed their life with no much in the way of story progression.[quote=“Pepe, post:391, topic:27”]
I have probably watched that video, called bullshit
[/quote]
I’m not sure how you can say Yui is the same character in episode 1 of S1 and 25 of S2 but sure, agree to disagree.

Considering that this will be a film, I don’t think they’ll have time to actually follow their life. I’m definitely not expecting the film to have much of a slice-of-life vibe at all, either. It’ll probably a lot closer to the original one-shot that got the manga recognized in the first place

That’d be Digi. Still don’t understand why he likes that show. The negatives of the show outweighed everything he highlighted as good imo.

1 Like

I’m not either, just like Hibike was mainly a teen drama with slice-of-life, in the recap movie it’ll probably just be teen drama. In fact out of my list the only shows I would actually call full on “slice-of-life” are Nichijou and K-On!.[quote=“Takafumi, post:394, topic:27”]
Still don’t understand why he likes that show
[/quote]
I’m assuming the “imo” at the end implies you know you’re giving your opinion which is why I don’t understand this part. I’m pretty sure he never actually said in the video he was trying to change anyone’s minds but explain why he thought a certain way. (it’s been a while since I watched the video but a lot of his other sutff is like this so I assume it’s the case here) One man’s trash is another’s treasure, something you might find a negative I, he or another fan might find a positive.

I think I remember you saying you liked Saekano in a thread somewhere? I found it slightly above average and one of the worst in a season I didn’t care for a lot. My reasoning is: Despite the interesting premise of making a VN it quickly becomes just a generic harem with the girls all falling into a trope and not doing anything unique and falling in love with a geeky loser just cause. I also hate anime that end on a “let’s continue our goal!” note. I wouldn’t mind if it got an anime original ending or if S2 was confirmed right away but not when clearly the story isn’t even close to being done. You might find those as positive (if you liked it, I apologize if I’m remembering incorrectly) but I found them as negative and they outweighed the positives for me.

That’s true. His channel is about presenting his views. While stopping people from liking bad shows is a happy side-effect, he doesn’t aim to change opinions. The video was all about explaining why he liked the show, but that doesn’t make me understand. If he said why he doesn’t hate the show I might have grasped it, but as it is, he didn’t tackle other POVs enough to explain why. He’s done a better job in other videos, so maybe I just compared those videos’ qualities to his other uploads.

I had the exact same opinion. Liking a show usually means it’s just above average in my books. I enjoy the technical aspects of a show however, so that helped balance out the many problems it did have. While it may have been tropey, it was handled well enough to make that okay. I didn’t watch it expecting a “meta” show, I watched it as a generic school romcom show, where some tropes fall in love with a generic protagonist. I think it’s all about expectations in this case. Good drama in a romcom show makes it a good romcom show, and it made use of it’s theme, as opposed to Shoujo-tachi, which is a good example of how to be bad at the same thing.

So in that case… why are you comparing it to Hibike Euphonium??? I’m referring to:

Because they are both teen drama and both contain slice-of-life elements. I guess a better comparison would be “watch the upcoming Hibike recap movie and if you don’t like that you probably won’t like KnK.”. Unless the reason they didn’t like Hibike was the music club or yuri undertones but the most common critism I saw after airing was the amount of drama (which I think mostly came from expecting K-On 3) so I assumed that drama would be the reason most didn’t like it (plus not liking any/most of Kyoani’s shows in 8 years where most focus or have a lot of drama) and guessing that they’ll choose to keep the drama over the SoL chapters (since the story would suck if the other way around) in the movie I think it’s a fair assumption if you don’t like Kyoani’s drama type shows you probably won’t like this movie unless the reason was 13 episodes was too much but 2 hours would be fine.

But there are hundreds of drama shows that have stories tnat relate to Koe no Katachi much better; why single out Hibike Euphonium???

Like, Isshukan Friends might be a better comparison that would relate to KnK’s theme of a character having to understand and empathize with another person

Because Isshukan Friends isn’t a show by Kyoani made within the last 8 years. Hibike was from a list of shows that have generally positive reception in the last 8 years from Kyoani and as I said:

To me that means most people who didn’t like Hibike didn’t like it because of the drama. Could it have been the music club setting? Yes. Could it have been the characters? Yes. Could it have been Reina’s (episode 2 or 3 spoilers) crush on the teacher making one uncomfortable? Yes. Could it have been the writing or directing? Yes. Could it have been the yuri shipper baiting? Yes.
There are tons of reasons one might not like Hibike that wouldn’t apply to KnK. I probably should have made clear in my original post I was referring to the teen drama with SoL elements aspect but I felt that since most the shows in my list had that to some degree it didn’t need saying.

I admit I made an assumption that the reason @Totoro_Futaki didn’t like Hibike was the drama but I still stand by my statement that if the reason you don’t like Hibike (or many other Kyoani shows in the last 8 years) was teen drama with SoL elements you won’t like the movie.

Quick answers:

Yes but if someone doesn’t like one series because it’s a drama I don’t see why they would like another drama

Well received show by Kyoani within the last 8 years as well as a teen drama with slice of life elements.

For sure. If you didn’t like Hibike but did like IF you’ll probably find enjoyment depending on your reasons.

Okay, I think I get where the misunderstanding is; and this is a very common gripe I have when talking about anime…

The animation studio should only be held responsible for animation; and I strongly believe that. So if you are comparing the enjoyment of a series to another series mainly because it was made by the same studio, well… that just doesn’t make sense to me.

Sure, the director (Naoko Yamada) is KyoAni’s in-house so we can expect the same sort of voicing, screen panning, and overall “feel” as other KyoAni works, but the screenwriter (Reiko Yoshida) made a ton of non KyoAni stuff like Bakuman, Haruchika, Girls und Panzer among others. As such I expect the screenwriter to be more in charge of what actually happens and which dialogue and scenes to actually put into the anime and, based on her repertoire, I expect it to have a similar, yet different turn-of-events as compared to other KyoAni works. She wasn’t even involved in Hibike Euphonium :stuck_out_tongue:

So when you say something like:

I just simply cannot agree because I haven’t liked any of KyoAni’s shows in the last, well, 5 years (can’t say 8 because of CLANNAD and nichijou) but I expect to like this movie. It might turn out shit, depending on the producer (which has not been announced as of yet), but I will keep track of it nonetheless.

Speaking of KyoAni
Look at the PV to their new anime series coming out in the near future ! The animation, visuals, coloring, art, everything, is just beautiful. When you thought nothing could surpass Phantom World animation…

I’m really looking forward to it. Mainly because it’s the only novel to win their grand prize in like 6 or 7 years so I’d imagine it has to be really good.
I also really appreciate how they uploaded it with English subtitles and hope that becomes a thing more studios start doing.

1 Like

I saw that trailer on Friday and it looked really nice, especially that final frame before the trailer credits. :smile:

1 Like

You should check out “Mayoiga”. Definitely, one of the most outrageous anime’s of 2016. I actually think a 6/10 for it on MAL is pretty high for it, with everything that happened in the show.

I gave it a 5/10, but it’s easily on of my favorite shows of the year so far. It was bad, but bad enough for me to enjoy it… like Another was.

Another made me imagine all kinds of cruel spontaneous deaths that might befall me every 30 minutes when I was walking around outside. The world suddenly seemed 20 times as dangerous for like a week xD
(Note: I have little experience with horror shows)

So how similar are these two shows?

Aside from being comedically insane, not much. It pushes suspension of disbelief so far that… it becomes somewhat believable? Believable for what it is anyway.

Mayoiga and Another aren’t really similar.

Namely, despite Mayoiga having a large cast of obvious throwaway characters, nearly nobody actually dies (at the point where I’m at, which is episode 9), and the (one? maybe there were more) character(s) who did didn’t even die onscreen.

I honestly don’t even know what Mayoiga is really about other than seeming vaguely inspired by silent hill and injecting it with all kinds of meme-worthy moments. One of the characters fears manifests as a giant silicon tiddie (can’t make this shit up), another has his fears manifested as a random blob of wood grain patterns, etc.