General Anime Discussion

I heard the anime adaptation was pretty bad. Must be annoying for anime-watchers…
I honestly don’t see it working as an anime. The exploration and the lite mystery solving was the fun of it.

Kino no Tabi and the first half of Kaiba were really good episodics.

The thing that got me through NGE was sleep. nod nod

1 Like

If A-P has forums, I never noticed them XD

The best part was Jonathan the chicken. He was a great wing man.

I think the “relying on teamwork” theme was my favorite part about it.

You know, the reason I started watching Haikyuu!! is kind of embarrassing. My friend from another site asked me to read her crackfic. It was about “Tobeo and Volleyball-chan”. It was all downhill from there. I simultaneously regret and don’t regret reading that story.

Would that be because you don’t like the show or because the show uses the OST poorly? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, don’t ever watch it. NEVER.
The only reason I watched it is because I saw a gif of Celestia and Touko in someone’s forum signature on a different site and I really loved Celes’s hair (such a trivial reason…but I love drills :p) so I watched the first few episodes of the anime. It was airing at that time so only 2 episodes had been released. I didn’t want to wait for the rest of the anime to be released so I read Orenronen’s LP instead and it was so much better. The anime is way too fast-paced, it barely gives you any time to think through the murder or care about the characters.

I’ve heard of both of those. The art style of Kaiba really puts me off. I also heard it was abstract, and I’m kind of wary of things labelled as “abstract”.

Heh, I was falling asleep most of the episodes as well.

1 Like

Don’t really like the guy’s stuff, but of the shows I’ve seen that has one of his tracks, all of them had a good use of OST. Guilty Crown’s ost was one of it’s strongest points, same with Aldnoah.

Oh, and @Yerian… I think you are confused. Thee lord and savior of osts is Yoko Kanno.

She was one of my favorites in the game. Talked to her the most early-game.

Honestly, the abstract part is the good part. The first half is a weird episodic look at the different worlds in a sci-fi universe. Following the main protagonist, we end up on a strange planet, learn about the life of one or two specific people, and then move on to another planet. The stories are very touching. Think Plastic Memories, but consistently good.
Eventually it turns into a generic sci-fi story, but it had charm for a while~

There are some episodes where the art style changes weirdly because different directors, but the main art style is actually really cute. It’s definitely abstract, but I feel it has more life than the average art style.

Also, it has a beautiful OP!

No. I wanted to play it so bad after watching the anime but knowing what already happens, it kinda dampens the suspense and mystery. Sighhhh. I’m thinking of playing the second one instead.

My feelings for Shinji could be very unpredictable. It could get pretty intense (‘Shut the fuck up Shinji’) to really sad (Shit Shinji shit shit shit) to encouraging (‘go get her shinji go get herrrr’).

I didnt know Sawano also did some (?) of SnK’s OST. And Blumenkraz!??? SHUCKSSS. I get goosbumps whenever it plays on Kill la Kill.

She’s most certainly a OST goddess, probably my #2 in terms of anime.

[quote=“Rippleshadow, post:268, topic:27”]
Would that be because you don’t like the show or because the show uses the OST poorly?
[/quote]Neither really. I just find it even more epic and beautiful outside the show for whatever reason.

Also, please refrain from double posting. I know it’ll be long as hell, but just put it all in one post when addressing more than one person. And if you kindly, please edit and delete the above instance to do so. Thanks for understanding.

[quote=“chesca, post:271, topic:27”]
I didnt know Sawano also did some (?) of SnK’s OST. And Blumenkraz!??? SHUCKSSS. I get goosbumps whenever it plays on Kill la Kill.
[/quote]Yep~ Sawano composed all of Guilty Crown, Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, and Aldnoah.Zero, as well as Ao no Exorcist, Nanatsu no Taizai, Gundam Unicorn, and most recently Owari no Seraph, in terms of anime.

I still haven’t seen Guilty Crown. Isn’t it a mecha? I also heard the ending was terrible. Even though I haven’t seen it, I love the opening song :stuck_out_tongue:

What anime did Yoko Kanno do the soundtrack for? I’ve heard a few anime reviewers praise her work before.

She was my favorite from the beginning but then chapter 3 happened and she was so obviously the culprit I almost couldn’t get through it

Hmm, I’ll consider watching it, but it’s going to take a lot to get past the art style.
That opening though. It’s actually good English! Like Serial Experiments Lain.

EDIT:

The second one is better, in my opinion. And a lot of peoples’ opinions, I think.
The irony is I haven’t finished reading it and probably never will.

I thought I saw in some other thread the same person double posting in the form of replies so I wasn’t sure it that actually counted as double posting or not.
I done goofed.
I like how you thanked me before I did anything xP

Guilty Crown is freaking amazing!!!.. said me, Taka, and @Bizkitdoh. Most other people seem to dislike it to varying degrees…

Yes, it is a mecha, similar to how Code Geass is a mecha.

Also, OP by Supercell!!! And freaking EGOIST. Now there’s some good music. Put Ryo on that list of anime music gods.

[quote=“Rippleshadow, post:273, topic:27”]
Yoko Kanno
[/quote]Taka and I will both immediately point to Zankyou no Terror, but she’s also done Cowboy Beebop, Cardcaptor Sakura, Escaflowne, GitS:SAC, Kids on the Slope, and Space Dandy among others.

So it’s a mecha but it’s a good mecha? :stuck_out_tongue:
I got about 14 episodes into Code Geass. It didn’t seem as good as people made it out to be… And I missed the first opening. The second opening was…weird.
I think I will watch it soon.
But I’m going to finish rewatching Air first.

My favorite EGOIST song is the Psycho-Pass ending. There’s so much tension build-up before the chorus and then it’s all released at once.

Oh, duh, ZnT.
ZnT was really good, but it wasn’t that memorable. I’m not sure why.
As for the OST, I just remember that one song when 12 and Lisa are on the motorcycle in episode…5? I dunno, but I loved that song. I think it’s called ‘is’.
I tried watching Space Dandy the other day… I didn’t even make it through the first 4 minutes.

EDIT:
I’ve been thinking about picking up Shigatsu wa kimi no uso. I was wondering if it’s the kind of thing that appeals to Key fans in general.

I still have a lot of stuff to know, it seems… I don’t usually concern myself with BGMs but Sawano’s music are striking and really catchy. I think I have a lot of his works in my phone that I don’t even know was his.

My bro and I loved Code Geass (years ago, so I could barely remember what happened in it). I don’t know what I’d make out of it now but Lelouch was that sort of character you’d want to watch until the end.

Yeah, I heard Lelouch is a brilliant character but it wasn’t giving me the same thrill I got when I watched Death Note or the first few episodes of Zankyou no Terror.

The mechs are thrown into the background most of the time. There is one plotline that revolves around them, and it’s a very small one.
The biggest problem with the ending is that it leaves a whole bunch of questions unanswered. Lots of plot holes. The VN helps though :stuck_out_tongue:

The most notable stuff she was involved in would be Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Zankyou no Terror, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Space Dandy, Sakamichi no Apollon, RahXephon, Macross Frontier, a whole bunch of Aquarion, the Memories OVAs, and the old favorite Wolf’s Rain.
She also did Oban Star-Racers, one of my childhood favorites~

There are some newer people who forget the rules. There is also some double posting in very inactive threads, with months between the two posts.

Expectations man! They ruin things!

Whoa, let’s not get crazy. Code Geass actually had a small plotline about the evolution of mecha. That’s much more than GC ever had.

EGOOOOOISSSTT! Supercell was always amazing, but then they put all the best bits in a band?
Best thing since Stereopony.

There’s one character in the main cast who can pilot one. It’s not a big thing about the series.

CG surprised me. I held it off for years and years because I thought it’s popularity would drop eventually. NOPE.
But it somehow lived up to all the hype I’d heard. I enjoyed it. The writing was awful, but it was really fun.
I’m pretty confident that the OPs along with the rest of the soundtrack were designed to be nostalgic. It sounded very 80’s Saturday morning cartoon-ey. From the sound effects used, to the visuals of the openings.

All Alone or Namae? Were they the Psycho-Pass ones? I don’t think I ever got far enough through an episode to hear the EDs…
All Alone With You is nice at times, but Namae is always great to listen to. All Alone definitely has the better narrative though. Extra Terrestrial Biological Entities was a great album.
I’d recommend Ame, Kimi wo Tsurete and LoveStruck. Maybe elbadaernU too. They are all very catchy.

“Spirits flying at the speed of light~”
I like Von too. That’s a good song. I think it was the theme park song?

I thought it was okay at best. I think it was popular on this site?
The show forgets about all it’s interesting characters unfortunately, and it seems like the director really didn’t understand the story, which is unfortunate, because he actually had some good technique. It’s also follows the generic Shounen episode-guide, but very very badly. Comparing it’s action scenes to something like the current Shokugeki no Soma is really depressing.
I wrote a quick few paragraphs about it in my seasonal review post.

Death Note is such a slug. I really don’t like the earlier episodes, and apparently they are the best episodes, so it doesn’t look very promising.

There’s a Guilty Crown VN???

I tried watching GC before but I just couldn’t get stand the cliches of the first episodes. The OP was really amazing though and I still watch it every now and then just to admire the art and transitions.

Heh, that one’s by a group called POP ETC (a band I actually hear on the radio, theyre prety cool), so I’m not even sure that one was composed by Yoko Kanno… still a really great song tho

Pretty sure they collabed for that one.

Okay, that makes sense. That’s a good thing. I like plot with mecha more than I like mecha with plot.

I don’t avoid hyped things. In fact, that’s usually what I end up watching because I want to know what people are referencing and talking about and I want to understand the memes.
Like the CC and Pizza Hut thing.

Namae.
Are you implying you didn’t like Psycho-Pass or you just skipped the ED song?
I really liked the first season of Psycho-Pass because I really wanted to see how Kougami and Akane would impact each other and then it felt like they didn’t impact each other at all in the end…

A lot of the music in ZnT was just chillingly beautiful, but I can’t remember most of it.

I started watching it, I’m up to episode 6.
I really love the colors, it’s so vibrant and makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :stuck_out_tongue:
The only thing that bothers me so far is that I don’t really enjoy classical music, so Kaori’s and Kousei’s playing sounds as uninspiring as every other characters’ playing.
Also, Kaori’s tsundere tendencies feel out of place at times.

I spent a good year on /amp/ over at Crunchyroll, where the most popular post was of CC eating Pizza. Didn’t watch the show until 3 years later.

Didn’t like Psycho-Pass. It was a pretty dull show, I didn’t care for the cast, and it just seemed very unappealing overall. I struggle to watch things that feel samey unless they have lots of charm, and Psycho-Pass unfortunately had no charm.

Some of the guys who took piano lessons on reddit said it was quite inspiring, but the non-anime watching musicians that I’ve heard the opinions of all thought it was sub-par.
It seems weird to me that you’d talk about passionate music, and accompany it with such metallic sounds.

A Shounen show like that should make you care for the focus of it’s action scenes. I don’t care about dancing, but Kurukuru makes me want to dance. I don’t care for cooking, but Shokugeki no Soma makes me want to cook. Beyblade makes me want to Beyblade. Vanguard makes me want to Vanguard. You might want to pull off some crazy jutsu, or you might just want to Kamehameha someone in the face. The other recent music show, Euphonium, got me crazy into concert band music.
Making your audience care about your show’s gimmick is the most important thing for these types of shows… The action scenes in KimiUso just make me want to do something else.

I think the manga could be good, but the anime staff seemed misguided. They can clearly make an anime, but they can’t make a music anime.

1 Like

Like how Haikyuu!! makes me want to Volleyball :grin:
And K-On! makes me want to sit in the same room after school every day eating cake and watching a turtle shed.
Okay, that 2nd one may have been a joke.
I think I can like KimiUso despite not liking the action scenes so long as I like what happens to/between/with the characters.
Although, you mentioned everyone kind of gets tossed aside besides Kaori…

If anyone can tell me the title of this anime, I’d be greatful !

Sunday without God. Its ok, I enjoyed it enough but don’t expect anything jaw dropping lol

right click -> search google for this image -> http://myanimelist.net/anime/16009/Kamisama_no_Inai_Nichiyoubi