General Anime Discussion

Nah, I don’t think so. There are shows (usually very good) that wouldn’t be tiresome, yes, there are. Perhaps because they are ambitious shows that successfully achieve what they were aiming at. Or they fall more into a completely story cut in pieces than a proper episodic story. Or they use the curiosity tactic to drive the viewers to keep on watching the show, instead of watching it simply because it’s enjoyable.

It depends on the kind of anime, its purpose, and how the story is handled… For some kinds of show it’s just natural to be tired after watching a lot of episodes in one go, despite being good.

But you can just ignore some episodes that seem not to be worth reflecting about it, and you can end up missing some stuff if you don’t re-watch. You think about the series as a whole, but when you watch weekly you reflect about each episode individually.

No, we’re pretty much just discussing the nature of what makes something tasking, and what “tasking” is to different people. When it comes to watching anime, there is no superior, only a less worse method.

Aaah, I skip those types of shows. Gotta be worth every second. If I get tired, I’ll go do something else and never come back to finish the show.

I don’t think it matters how much you think about, or how much you missed, just the feeling that it provides. I wouldn’t be thinking of some big analysis as I’m going to sleep, I’d just be thinking of which parts were good, and wishing there was a bit more.

If you somehow didn’t catch some information the first time through, you can always pick the in-depth stuff up by reading what others thought of it. I hate rewatching stuff, so if I miss it the first time through, it’s gone, and that’s fine. A bit of info won’t change my enjoyment of a show I’ve already spent time on.

Yo I dont really want to start to argue or anything, but I am one of those people and I want to tell you my honest opinion, Im no good at arguing ;).

I am that kind of person that has a plan to watch some anime, and Ill take one of the best examples that happened to me lately. I finished SAO II lately and I couldnt get to it until it was released as full 24 eps cuz… I just cant stand to wait another 7 days for the next episode. When I decide to watch an anime Im just going a big run or a slow run but I still wait - There are multiple reasons so Ill just name a few.

I wait until its done because when I watch all the episodes at once or just in a big run I feel more connected to the story and ainme overall (something like, that its still fresh in your mind and you may uncounciously think about it). Im not saying people who waits are any other! Its just how I feel. I mean I get the thought of when you wait for another week to get another episode you have more time to think about it, but honestly those 5-10 minutes before switching to another episode or 1-2 days before going to another one is just fine for me. If I get to think of then the better, but I can settle my thoughts that fast to have clear viewpoint of certain anime or w/e. I dont need that much time altho I could use it wisely.
Also if its finished that means I can end it whenever I want and also means that It wont screw my plan or anything … Or I can start it whenever I want cuz I KNOW that it ended (yeah its just that feeling that you KNOW its there so it wont go anywhere … lmao this sounds ridiculous).

I think all of this may seem nonsense to you but please do respect that there are people with a lot of techniques and styles of how they watch anime and any technique shouldnt be discriminated imo.

1 Like

I usually do a mix of watch an anime while it’s airing and wait until it’s finished. I try to limit 5 per season then save the rest. I mainly do it that way because I like to stay up to date and I just don’t have the time to stay up on too much more. I have a friend who starts every single anime each season the drops the ones that don’t hook her and even she admits she’s crazy. I can see both sides though.

I wonder how would it feel if I had watched SAO2 like this… Anyway, I respect your opinion. I think the main reason I watch anime like this, it’s because it allows me to spend more time with the shows I love. The time between the episodes also count as “time spent” for me because I’m thinking about it, speculating about it, discussing it… I find it sad a lot of animes only have 12 eps and nothing more, no seasons… So I want to spend the more time I can with the characters and the show.

Um… I don’t know if you exactly got what I mean… There are whole genres that fit into this, but you can also find works inside some genres that do, and others that don’t. Some character-driven animes (Key would be a counter-example), slow paced shows, episodic shows… It doesn’t mean they aren’t worth every second.

SAO1 is mostly an episodic anime, and yet it was worth every second for me, even watching it completed, because I loved the characters. But for someone who didn’t like the characters as much as me, it can be pretty tiresome to watch it in one go.

But I agree that there can be “genres” we don’t like at all, and we would like if they were completely removed from some works. For me it’s comedy, I just hate most comedies. And while I watch comedy shows, I NEVER EVER watch them because they are “funny”. If they are funny or not, I don’t care. I always watch because of some other element. I can like them, though, if the comedy isn’t too annoying or too much, like sitcoms (I hate sitcoms).

1 Like

See, I’d have lost interest in the show after 5 minutes, hence why I prefer to watch them all together. It’s the same with any other form of media. I’ve either gotta be invested 100% of the time or I’m off looking at reddit or wanting to play Civ 5 or something menial like that.

No no, I got what you mean, I just dislike those shows. I’m generally not fixated on specific genres being bad, just styles of shows.

Yeah, they kinda butchered the progression of the Aincrad arc in the anime adaption.

2 Likes

I also do some of both. I start off the season watching almost every show, and decide which ones to drop immediately after the first episode. I usually drop other things around episode 3 if they are just too “tiring” as Taka puts it.

I try to get a feeling as to which ones I will want to watch either all at once or at my own pace (in other words, not at a set once a week); and which ones will be more fun spread out. Then with everything thats left, I save anything that I think could be really good for the end, and watch anything I think will just be OK or whatever while they air.

My main problem with watching while airing is that I want to try and enjoy every show to its fullest extent, and I can only do that when Im in the right mood. Sometimes I’ll watch a show and think “that was shit” and then watch it again later and think “that was awesome.” And my mood on what I feel like watching is constantly shifting. I’ll want to watch some show so bad one moment then get home and just not be excited at all.

I would normally say I would absolutely save Charlotte to watch after it ends. But theres no way I would be able to stand not talking about it with all you guys. Since its airing during the summer I should be OK. So hype for that, btw.

3 Likes

I could go either way on watching shows while airing. I get the desire to wait until it’s finished airing. But there are some shows (*cough* Detective Conan *cough*) that doing so would not be feasible once you started watching it. (At least, if you like the show enough anyway.) It’s nice having something you can look forward to in the next week. Even if you already do it’s great backup in case your plans fall through.

Key anime I haven’t watched while it was airing before. The emotional scenes being split across episodes would be a concern for me. I’ll be watching Charlotte as it airs (or not too far off at least), so I guess I’ll get to experience a Key anime as-it-airs through Charlotte.

I went directly from Seitokai Yakuindomo* to Shinryaku Ika Musume. Seitokai Yakuindomo is one of those shows that I watch because I hope it’ll go somewhere and because it’s occasionally funny, but only in an “adult” humor way. I liked Squid Girl immediately because the humor was just funny. It wasn’t laced with innuendos or crude/vulgar humor everywhere. So it was refreshing comparatively. Then I watched episode two. I’m planning on going on to the next episode. I just… haven’t yet. Nothing against the show though.

I’m also watching Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren. I just finished episode ten yesterday. It wasn’t what I was expecting, but I find myself smiling a lot while watching the show. No major complaints on this one.

Guilty Crown is one I’ll be watching after Chuunibyou.

Also, Nagato is best girl 2015. Ignore that I’ve not even watched any of the 2015 anime outside of that. Koizumi is great in that anime though. Loved his interaction with Tsuruya. (And Mori’s subsequent interaction with Tsuruya.) ← Not really a spoiler, but if someone wants me to tag it I will.

Back to the original point… Waiting a week for the next Nagato is torture. (Okay, not that bad.) But then a new one’s out and bam! Awesome times.

Its so hard…I’ve been hooked on Detective Conan forever, but I decided that I would only watch them as I could buy them way back when so I’ve only seen through the 3rd season which goes up to the first appearance of Phantom Kid.

I tend to scoop up anime when the new season rolls around, I’m one of those watch almost anything at least once. I’ll start out watching everything that I don’t rule out from the premise alone and then some will get dropped with the first episode (Show-by-rock this season) and some I will give the three episode rule before I let them go(Re-kan!). Others fall by the wayside because I forget about them or get busy and fall behind but most of the time I finish the season with about 12-15 shows, I’m currently keeping up with 21 this season.

The take away point though is everyone likes and consumes the things they like in different ways. I understand I watch an absurd amount of anime a season and I would agree that I’m nuts; however, its no better or worse than someone that just picks 3-5 shows they really enjoy and follow them throughout the season. To each their own ya know?

[quote=“NotKyon, post:214, topic:27”]
Waiting a week for the next Nagato is torture
[/quote]I’m this way with OreGaeiru none of the episodes seem long enough.

Oh damn, that’s way behind! :open_mouth: (Well, Detective Conan is nearing 800 episodes though, so…) If you check out Magic Kaito 1412 be wary of certain Detective Conan tie-ins. I can look up the exact DC episodes “spoiled” by the corresponding MK episodes if you’d like. There are some tricks that Conan just explains so well and it’s all the more worth it in watching the DC side first.

Come to think of it though, you might be somewhat better off for only having seen up to the third season… There was at least a tiny possibility I could lose interest prior to that episode (points ambiguously)… but not anymore. Not anymore.

Oh definitely. I wouldn’t say one method is better than another method for timing the watching of a show. Really it’s just speculation for which way that person might get the most enjoyment out of the show.

I should check that out too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I watched all of Magic Kaito 1412 and loved every minute of it, if it spoiled anything for DC I’ll find out later, but I would watch more Kaito if it started airing right now, that series was just too much fun. I don’t know what THAT episode is >.> so I’m assuming I haven’t gotten there yet. I gotta get around to buying the fourth season sometimes I finished the 3rd season a couple of months ago and I’m having withdrawals.

1 Like

Oh man, phantom thief shows are great. Have you seen “Magic Kaito” (no 1412)? It was done by the same animation studio as Detective Conan. (The name of which I’ve completely forgotten right now.)

One of my favorites for “phantom thieves” would be Nijuu Mensou no Musume (The Daughter of Twenty Faces). It’s not quite the same level of fun as Kaito, but it’s still pretty interesting in its own right.

Didn’t even know he had a dedicated series before 1412 I’ll have to look into it.

[quote=“NotKyon, post:218, topic:27”]
(The name of which I’ve completely forgotten right now.)
[/quote]TMS right?

[quote=“NotKyon, post:218, topic:27”]
One of my favorites for “phantom thieves” would be Nijuu Mensou no Musume (The Daughter of Twenty Faces). It’s not quite the same level of fun as Kaito, but it’s still pretty interesting in its own right.
[/quote]I’ve always been a big fan of DNAngel and Jing: King of Bandits

Hmm… I wonder how to categorize it really. It was kind-of like a side project that aired in place of a few Detective Conan episodes, iirc. Hummingbird lists it as its own thing though, and Conan is basically not involved except for useless cameos.

Ooo! I’ll definitely check those out too. Can’t get enough phantom thievery! :slight_smile:

I’d recommend both of them DNAngel has a bit more SOL antics built into it but it has plenty of phantom thief hijinks with some magic mixed in. Jing is a little less phantom thief, and a little more smash and grabby, but still a really good show.

1 Like

Speaking of phantom thief shows… I watched two.

The second one was DNAngel. Kinda liked it. It was pretty ‘sweet’. Still listening to that Opening theme from time to time.

The first one was Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. I watched it when it was on TV in my country and I liked it for some reason. Quite unusual, really, considering that back then, I only watched shounen stuff like Detective Conan and Digimon. I think that was over a decade ago…

I know exactly what you mean, I was like that when Bleach was still airing and I was waiting every week for a new episode. For some reason I liked that way because bleach was already pretty long at that time. It was nice to see there is going to be more in a week but sometimes the waiting almost killed me XD.
Still yeah, there are animes that are still going (Pokemon, Fairy tail etc.) that wont end up that quickly so its more reasonable to start them BEFORE it ends :D.

1 Like

So as of late, I started watching Black Lagoon (only saw first 2 episodes) and so far it’s a fun and addictive anime. The action scenes are intense and fun to watch, the characters so far are likable and I love the pre butt kicking one liners that they say during the fight scenes. Not to mention the show can be quite hilarious and the English dub for the series is great. So if you’re looking for an enjoyable action series I say give Black Lagoon a try.

Additionally, I’ve also been watching Dragon Ball and it’s a nice trip back down to memory lane considering I remember watching Dragon Ball Z when I was 6 or 7. Speaking of which on the note of AIR, I want to see a fanfiction of Goku meeting Misuzu maybe in Earth or even in the afterlife .

1 Like

Finally finished Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu! Probably the funniest show I’ve seen in awhile. It takes itself so seriously, yet its so in-your-face ridiculous and it knows it. Hope they make a season 2 at some point in the future. Maybe I’ll give the LNs a try.

1 Like

I watched that when it was airing last season and loved it, the only problem I had was the decline in quality in the middle (like one time when Aika’s uniform changed colors between shots) but that got better again towards the end, and I guess they fixed all that stuff in the BR version