General Anime Discussion

Really? I’d never heard of it until (points at prior post) three days ago. Although that’s to be expected since I’m never really up-to-date on current anime anyway. xP

I’d like to finish watching Umineko… xD Really just a bunch of stuff I should get caught up on. There were lots of recommendations I’ve received that I’m going through.

I’m pleased with Nagato’s Disappearance so far. The adaptation from the manga is (from memory) pretty spot on and the animation is better than I was expecting. Her voice, despite being the same person, sounds incredibly different to me. Not really good or bad, just a thing.

Does anybody know how much of the manga it’s adapting? Wikipedia, the Haruhi Wiki, and MAL don’t seem to have any information. (And Wikipedia has a more recent episode listing than MAL, go figure.)

No no no NO NO NO

Please read the VN, or at least the manga!

2 Likes

Dx

But! But! I’m already halfway through! … Okay, fine I guess I’ll read the original material first (or the manga)… <walks off, defeated>

Honestly though the anime feels very well done to me, being completely new to the “when they cry” series as a whole. What’s so bad about it compared to the VN? (First twelve episodes are fair game for spoiler’d details, since I’ve seen them already.)

First off, with a story like Umineko, you are never “already halfway through.” You are only halfway through.

On the adaptation…It’s about as well-done as Steak tartare.
Have you ever compared the Chaos;Head anime to the VN? Umineko is quite similar… The transition to anime removed everything that didn’t work as a standard anime mechanic, and with it, everything that made the VN special.

The Umineko anime either butchers, forgets about, or changes what was seen in the VN. It’s basically a different version of the story, with less content, lots of world mechanics simplified or removed, and no real way to engage the audience. It changes the essence of what Umineko is.
A good adaptation could be possible, but it’d be hard, because Umineko makes use of the platform it uses to entertain. It used things like perspective and font formatting to it’s benefit. What Umineko does can be hard to explain in a way that fits with anime convention.

It’s not just “oh, there’s less content, but the overall story is captured.” It’s… You may as well just read a summary of the VN and save yourself the time. You’ll get more out of it than the anime.
I don’t even like Umineko, but I will praise the VN wholeheartedly when compared to the anime adaptation.

The only good you’ll get from the Umineko anime is the OP.

1 Like

You don’t have to worry about your experience being ruined. You might lose some of the shock of the first two episodes of the VN, but I was in a very similar position when I read the VN midway through while it was airing, and I still loved every second~

It’s well worth the effort, trust me.

Needless to say, the amount of detail you get on anything is way lower in the anime. Imagine an object lying right before you on a table. The VN will give you a tour of the object as seen through a microscope. With the Manga, you’ll see it through a magnifying glass. The anime, on the other hand, will show you the object from the bird’s eye view.
Seeing as how the stuff on Umineko is pretty complicated, you’ll need a certain amount of detail in order to have a chance at understanding it.
Umineko is already confusing as it is, so getting even less information is definitely not a good idea…

1 Like

What are you saying the ED is gorgeous OH DESIRE

Hehe, I’ve already heard that the Umineko adaption is… not the best, so I’ll stay away from that (finished Ep4 in the VN yesterday)

Anyways, currently I’m watching Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, I can’t understand what my husband is saying, Denpa Kyoushi, DanMachi, FSN UBW s2, KinMosa s2, Hibike! Euphonium, Kekkai Sensen, Yuki-chan, Nisekoi s2, Ore Monogatari, Owari no Seraph, Plastic Memories, Punchline, Re-kan, Shokugeki no Souma, OreGairu s2 and Yamada-kun from this season (or continued from last season like Ansatsu Kyoushitsu)

Liking all the s2’s, so no complaints there, and all the others are a mix of opinions. Ansatsu, DanMachi, Souma and Yamada-kun are probably the ones I’m most looking forward to every week, but Seraph, Kekkai Sensen, Plastic Memories and Ore Monogatari are pretty enjoyable as well. The rest is still watchable and have good moments, but overall they’re not that outstanding. I’m not saying they’re bad though, I even like watching them (otherwise they’d be dropped by now).

In summer, I’m planning on watching Aoharu x Kikanjuu, Chaos Dragon, Classroom Crisis, Danchigai, Durarara s2 part 2, Gakkou Gurashi, Gatchaman Crowds Insight, Gate, God Eater, Himouto, Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan, Million Doll, Monster Musume (love the manga), Non Non Biyori s2, Overlord, Prison School, Rokka no Yuusha, Shimoneta to [lots of text], Sore ga Seiyuu and Venus Project.
At least 5 of them will end up being dropped after a few episodes, that’s how it goes every season, but I’m having high hopes for some of them (looking at Drrr, God Eater, Monster Musume, NNB and Overlord)

As for Charlotte, I’ll wait til it’s finished airing so I can marathon it within 1 day, like I did with Angel Beats, Clannad and After Story, gotta keep up traditions :stuck_out_tongue:

Kinda hard to do that without stumbling into spoilers nowadays.

As long as I stay away from /a/ and am careful in the Anime-Threads on /wsg/ and avoid spoiler-threads on here I should be fine, I managed to do this a few times before after all, I got dis

1 Like

Nah, my so-called-friend-in-real-live managed to ruin me several times. :smiley:

And there’s some popular twitter/facebook/tumblr/path/<insert_social_media_here> account who post quotes from currently airing anime.

Spoilers are easy to avoid. The only spoilers I’ve ever seen so far this year come from @Pepe tweeting out commentary, but I’m not watching the same shows, so it doesn’t matter.

Well I guess I should put a spoiler warning on my twitter in general xD

Seriously, I don’t know why people like to wait stuff to end, and then watch it. It’s so much better to watch weekly because you know the same as all people in the world (except the creators) who are watching the show. And it’s so good to be speculating and discussing stuff every week… And it also doesn’t take much of your time, as you watch only 1 ep per week.

You should seriously reconsider.

I don’t think this can be applied for Charlotte. Seriously, Charlotte will be probably THE ANIME OF THE YEAR, so spoilers can be found everywhere in the anime fandom related websites, unless you’re extremely cautious and avoid everything anime-related in the internet.

1 Like

You don’t have to wait. You can just set aside a few hours and say “right, let’s get this done with.” Watch the whole thing, maybe read some extra material, and then go on to something else. Watching weekly episodes is a task. Watching a whole season is a entertainment break.

Then… don’t go to those places? It’s not like there are many good anime sites. The only places I go to that I can imagine seeing anime talk on are here, Twitter, and reddit, all of which give users the ability to block or avoid spoilers.

1 Like

[quote=“sillylittlemelody, post:200, topic:27”]
Seriously, I don’t know why people like to wait stuff to end, and then watch it.[/quote]
Every other show I would watch weekly, but Key is a special case, because I want it all at once and then I usually end up with
Example: If I had to wait for 1 week between Clannad AS Ep16 and 17 I’d go crazy^^
The same applies to VNs, I read most of the Refrain Route in LB within 1 day

And I’m pretty confident in my spoiler-avoiding skillz, so I’m not too worried there :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally I like waiting for anime to finish airing because it helps my immersion to watch it in one long string. Since I hardly watch any shows each anime season it’s not really an issue for me to just wait the season out and watch the couple shows I may be interested in. I don’t mind watching airing shows if other people want to, but it’s not a choice I’d make myself.

This is a really good way of putting it.

1 Like

The latter seems a lot more of a task to me. Watching weekly episodes of an anime you like feels a lot more like “your guaranteed moment of fun of the week” than a task. A task is to see a complete series in one go and beforehand managing to find those “few hours” (that I think will be in double or more in Charlotte’s case) to watch it.

I think you will lose a lot of the anime has to offer, because it can be tiresome and your brain in the end can end up being saturated by it. Watching weekly offers you the possibility to reflect more about the previous episode, too. Personally, I usually have no motivation or energy to watch completed anime, specially if they are old.

What about tumblr?

Huh, opposite opinions then~ Guess we have different ideas of what is tasking. I think knowing that there’s something to do on the same day of the week, every week, is a lot more tasking than just deciding “eh, I’ll watch this show today.”

If a show becomes tiresome, it’s a bad show in my books.

You get that anyway after watching a full series. The moments where you finish the series, the day comes to an end, and, after a while has past, you can look back and think about it all.

I think a good example of a currently airing show that would be stronger as a marathoned anime would be PlaMemo. It’s still a decent show as a weekly episodic, but watching one episode after another allows the emotional build up of one episode to carry through to the other.

I don’t like tumblr as it is. The parts of it I found entertaining were scared away from the site years ago, and there’s no exclusive content for me to witness there apart from bullying and the occasional funny comment that will inevitably be reposted on a subreddit relating to the subject. Most of the good creative stuff from it ends up on deviantart or etsy.
The anime userbase on there is a bit young for me too. Unfortunately, I’m quick to judge people, and the younger someone is, the easier that becomes.

1 Like

Did you guys run out of stuff to argue about, so now you’re bickering about whose way of watching anime is superior? xD

It all boils down to how you want to take in and process the stuff that the series offers. Every method has its own merits. It has to be said, though, that whichever method you choose will impact your overall impression of the series in a different way. You would perceive the same series a bit differently by marathoning it than you would have if you watched it on a weekly basis.

If you watch a series on a weekly basis as it airs, you have a time span of one week to think about what you’ve seen, analyze it, interpret it, share your thoughts, discuss it (as mentioned in this topic) with certain people and/or communities and engage in speculation. By the time the next episode airs, you’ll have a different, more enriched impression and understanding of the previous episode (and those before it) than back when you’ve watched it(them) for the first time.

But a ‘different’ impression is not a purely good thing. If you discuss the series with others, your impression will be ‘corrupted’ by their ideas (I don’t mean it in a negative way, and I hope you get my point), so it’s not purely your own anymore. You can avoid this scenario by avoiding discussion.
Then there’s also the time factor. Immersion has already been mentioned. Also, a waiting time of one whole week means you’ll only remember the stuff that made it into your long-term memory. You might partially or entirely forget subtle hints and foreshadowing that will only become relevant several episodes later. This can impact your watching experience in various ways. On the other hand, if you’re participating in discussions, someone might point things out that you never noticed by yourself.

If you marathon the series, the time factor won’t be that much of a problem. Your short-term memory will be with you. Also, your impression of the series will be ‘pure’, solely consisting of your own thoughts. If there was feels in the previous episode, they’ll be preserved and completely carried over to the next one. Let me point out that, while the intensity of the ‘original feels’ will certainly decay over time, if you use that time to think about the episode, you just might discover other things that might give you some ‘additional feels’. ‘Think about’ can be replaced with ‘discuss’ here.
One thing I personally dislike about marathoning stuff is that the series will sometimes feel ‘short’ upon completion even if you clearly remember that ‘a lot of different stuff happened’.

Those are the pros and cons that came to my mind.

Of course, preferences will always be a factor. As will patience. As will spoiler angst. But that’s not what my post is about.

Rather than always choosing the method by personal preference, notice that you have the option of making it dependent on what kind of series you’re going to watch. For instance, there is little point in actively discussing a “cute people doing cute things” kind of series that mostly focuses on the visuals and isn’t trying to be ‘deep’. “X is so kawaii”, “Y is mai waifu!” is all you’ll get. Though you might get some fun out of favorite character polls if you’re into that stuff.
If you wanna tackle an emotional series, marathoning would be a good idea, for the feels, of course.
On the other hand, if discussion is what you’re after, than currently airing series are definitely your thing, because you usually won’t get as many opportunities to actively discuss an episode as while it’s airing.
Same goes for ‘deep’ and ‘smart’ series where you wish to understand an episode properly before going into the next one. Though in this case, you can just look the stuff up on forums with lots of posts but no currently active discussion.

3 Likes