First Animated PV of Charlotte unveiled!

I watch all my videos in 360p, so I don’t see small details like this, but since someone brought it up earlier…

Watched the scene for a bit, and it really looks like they are running from the school, with the hope to come back some day.

If we look at the context surrounding it, a cruel fate, talks of running, the green man signaling GO, the two (or three) looking over the landscape where, in the eyes of Nao, a bright light shines from, as feathers fall from the sky - possibly hinting at freedom, or a fresh start.

Something happened that left them trying to run away. With the timing and the sound direction, there’s a sense of hopeless hopefulness when the final line appears. “The promise… is to come back home.” That’s the promise at least.

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

Subs up! Now I sleep. dies

3 Likes

I’d have to say the exact opposite.

Her hair is ugly, her eyes are way too big for her face and makes her look simply unnatural, and the overly happy and cutesy way she comes off as pisses me off.

Not a character I’m happy with.

In other news the heavy sounds while the piano goes wild is pretty glorious stuffs.

And laaaaastly, the way Nao-Nao doesn’t express at all in this PV has me worried.

1 Like

Agree. This imouto isn’t cute. I wonder if Yuu is a siscon…

Judging from the PV, Nao isn’t very interesting. But the sketches portray her in a different way, and the key visual too. I think her version on the key visual was way cuter. It’s not like I don’t like stoic characters, actually, I love some of them, but Yuu looks better smiling or portraying a different emotion.

Maybe it’s because the PV shows mostly the first episode, so she isn’t close enough to Yuu to show her dere side.

For some reason, I feel like that’s how she’s supposed to be. A character that embodies so much cheerfulness that it’s annoying. Maybe it’s the contrast with her brother, but I can see this working out as a “she’s a detriment to him” situation.

Eh, I think she had a bit. There were some “come on, let’s get on with it” moments when she had the camera, and there was that hazey-gaze at the end.

Why do you do that? You’re missing a lot.

Would they want to come back to the place that supervises them step by step and is using their abilities? I don’t think so. If they’re running away, why would they ever come back?

I don’t think “home” refers to the school. I think “home” is the place they’re running to. They’ve been trapped all this time on that school, and then they can finally return to the place… where wishes come true… (lol, joking). But what if the four of them turn out to be childhood friends who don’t remember each other, and they’re going back to the place they spent their childhood? It just says one “home”, so it’s the same home for the four of them.

This looks good. I’m glad to see more PA Works with fewer PA writing staff (like Eccentric Family). And while I’ve gotten a bit sick of their glassy art style, this looks undeniably pretty. Maybe in part because Na-Ga doesn’t do glossy? And PA always did get good backgrounds. Anyway, let’s hope Jun Maeda brings his usual A-game.

2 Likes

I’m really not. At 360p I get around 11-15 fps consistently. At 480p+ I get less that 8 fps, and the video and audio desyncs a lot. It’s not that big a deal though. I was still using my 10" CRT until the Christmas of 2010.
Visual quality is meaningless so long as you have consistency.

They are human. It might not mean much to Yuu at first, unless he secretly has a strong sense of responsibility from the get go, but for Nao, that school would have been a big part of her life. The school may be restricting, but it’s also the place where these confused ostracized teens can be accepted by their peers. A bunch of members have the theory that Nao is self-conscious, either due to her power, or as the cause of her power. This would fit nicely.

They have friends, memories, responsibilities, and the “promise” that they spoke of. Maybe they want to free those children who are the same as them.

That seems very vague. Where are they running to, and why would they feel affectionate enough about it to call it home and promise to return there? Wouldn’t they have just stayed there in the first place?
If they were running somewhere, it’d be “to go back home” not “to come back home.” They are going back to where the promise was made, and we currently know of no place other than the school that the MCs spent time together - Assuming they are supposed to be restrained to the school, it’s unlikely they refer to anywhere outside of the school’s location.

“All this time” can’t be said. We don’t know how long any of them have been there, although we can guess that Yuu is new, and Nao is at least in her second year, due to their positions. We don’t know how many years the school has, so even those guesses are bad.

Nothing currently points towards that. I don’t think anything in the PVs implies that they are childhood friends - besides, one of the 4 (if you mean the 4 main characters) is a famous idol. You think they’d recognize her after seeing her so much.

Hence the school, the only location we currently know of that houses the four of them. (Poor little sister, being left out of the group…)

I think they’ve taken a departure from that - though it may be brief. Shirobako and Charlotte look to have flatter art styles, which is pretty refreshing. Even though the eyes in Charlotte still follow the typical Key pattern, they don’t look shiny in most of the scenes we’ve been shown.

That’ll be because Na-Ga is doing the character designs for sure. And yeah I noticed Shirobako was a lot less like that. I haven’t finished it yet, but it was definitely better in that regard. I’ve always though PA Works could outdo what it’s done. Like, ever since True Tears back in the day, I felt they did decent work, but never stuff that’s as good story- and character-wise as the animation and gorgeous backgrounds. Eccentric Family had almost none of their normal staff, so while that show was awesome, it still didn’t show me what PA can do. With Maeda writing this, I’m thinking this is their best shot. Though Shirobako definitely seems good so far.

1 Like

I’ll always recommend Tari Tari. A lot of PA Works shows are just no-story anime with pretty visuals, but Tari Tari had some amazing episodes. It had problems, but that and Shirobako are probably the best out of PA imo.

I guess we’re getting a little off topic. But don’t get me wrong! I like a lot of PA shows. I just think PA has far greater potential as a studio than what they’ve been making. Tari Tari was hilarious.

“I. DONTO. MONAY.” My sides. Haha.

2 Likes

It isn’t just restricting. It is behind the whole conspiracy. The people behind the school are the antagonists. Just take a look at the PV translated text again, and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

This makes sense. Total sense. I think it’s the best explanation so far.

The time makes no difference whatsoever. My argument was completely unrelated to the time.

Do you know that Hoshi no Umi is a closed secret school, don’t you? Probably she is just a famous idol “inside” the school. Yuu would have never heard of her. And besides, there is no information about for how long has she been an idol. Maybe she started her career recently. Who knows? And that was just an assumption, even though the PV doesn’t suggest that.

I kinda like their glassy art style :frowning: makes everything look pretty-ish~

I’m gonna stay away from trying to figure out what the characters decide to do in the anime because, really, the PV isn’t enough to go by if you want to figure out the plot :stuck_out_tongue: PLUS it would kind of spoil things for me. Not necessarily spoil as in I would know what happens, but I feel it would spoil because it might give me false expectations.

They actually never said that. Ever. They just said it was a special school

I believe, and this could be a mistranslation on my part, but they did say that Yusa was a commercial idol (the kind on national television) on the side :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

[quote=“sillylittlemelody, post:33, topic:1083”]
It isn’t just restricting. It is behind the whole conspiracy. The people behind the school are the antagonists. Just take a look at the PV translated text again, and you’ll see what I’m talking about.[/quote]
Yeah, about that. We have 0 solid proof that this is true. I mean, sure, there are several things that could possibly point to this. But we actually have no idea. All we know its a school for the kids with powers. The confinement/conspiracy part is all just speculation.

Though if it is actually a lot like HEROES, then it could be somewhat valid speculation.

1 Like

I’m also kinda avoiding going too deep into interpreting this PV. I’ve never been one to do that. I see it as an appetizer that may or may not taste anything like the main course.

I liked it the first couple of times, then I started getting tired of it. I don’t know why. I don’t have the same problem with Key’s character designs. PA Works still do pretty art though.

Ugh can’t wait to watch this I really like the music and the art is preety good. But I really do hope they make a Rewrite anime some time would be super epic if Rewrite got Animated tho I can’t imagine how they wil lcondense 50hours of story and 7 routes.

3 Likes

Are you sure? I thought I had seen something like that. But my bad.

The PV highly suggests that. We aren’t 100% sure, but there’s a high chance of this speculation being true.

Something about Nao’s expressions just makes me super interested in what she’s got going on in her head. It’s hard to explain, but she’s expressive in her lack of expression.

1 Like

Body language maybe?