Favorite Key Scene

For now it’a from Refrain in Little Busters: The parting of the boys and also Komari with Rin. Especially the moment with Masato, which hit me the hardest because of how well it is done. I really love how he says his last words throws the baseball back to Riki and then disappears and the bat just falls to the ground.

That’s the one for now.

Follow up is in Kotori’s route in Rewrite: The end of the route were Kotori does all she can to save Kotaro, this scene in particular is what made me love Kotori and her route most out of all

There are many others that I like, but dont come close to these two at all. I might post here again after I was finally able to completly read LB Ex, since I think there will be some changes then.

2 Likes

Oof, this is difficult. Well top of the top are three scenes from Little Busters!. Spoiler warning for Refrain.

Firstly, naturally Last Episode: Little Busters. The buildup, the drama, everything, it was just perfect.
Secondly, Cheap Tricks, Called Game. From all three perspectives, forming the full picture. Easily one of the most memorable scenes in any Key visual novel.
Thirdly, saving everyone from the bus. Going through that series of choices with the ‘Unnamed Track’ playing in the background, finding Kyousuke, being forced to temporarily leave him behind …just wow. If this scene hadn’t been executed as well as it was, the ending of Refrain wouldn’t have sat nearly as well with me.

These three are definitely my favorites overall. But just leaving it at that is doing all the other amazing scenes an injustice.

From Tomoyo After, final arc, the final computer monologue. Oh my god did that get me emotional.
From CLANNAD, After Story arc, Naoyuki’s backstory, the scene where Tomoya hugs Ushio in the field, and then when Tomoya and Naoyuki have their final talk. The anime REALLY did these scenes justice, and if it hadn’t been for them I might not have continued to look into Key at all.
From Rewrite, Lucia’s arc, when Kotarou rewrites himself. Bar none my favorite applicance of the Rewrite power, as it really goes deep into what it’s actually capable of. Without Kotarou Lucia really wouldn’t have had anyone beside her.
Some Angel Beats!, although not on the same level as the others, Episode 9. All of it. Easily my favorite part of the series.
And then there’s more Little Busters! of course. From Haruka’s arc, the bad end as well as the reconciliation, from Kud’s arc, the bad end, from Refrain, the hospital scene, again from Refrain, Episode Masato, Kengo and Kyousuke.

I think that should do it for now.

2 Likes

The Little Busters! (Ending spoiler) Fake ending destroyed me.

2 Likes

There just too nuch to name all of them So ill choose only some from series I loved.

Clannad (anime) - trip with ushio and “tell me about mommy” + tomoya remembering how he met sunohara for the first time… + tomoya hugs nagisa… I could go on but it would feel like spamming, I cant decide which is my top favorite.
Rewrite - definitely Sakuya’s memories and Terra route’s Esaka vs Kotarou + end of terra route I think Ill add some later.
Angel beats - Graduation aaaand. OH OH I CANT FORGET THIS :'D - Populsion Engines
Little busters! (anime) - parting of the boys

1 Like

Oh gosh this is way too hard D: how about ALL OF KEY xD and I hope it’s not too late to jump into this

For Little Busters, probably all the farewells with Kyousuke, Kengo, Masato, and Komari takes first, with a close second being the called game/cheap tricks scene, especially when you replay the scene in Kengo’s perspective (for the VN players). Lastly probably the bad ends with Haruka, Komari, and Mio - they pretty much all shocked me to the core

For Rewrite, my favorite scene is probably the ending to Shizuru’s route, especially that freaking diary scene, like gah. Other than that there was the ending to Moon route with the death of Sakura, which idk why but just appealed to me in the most epic of ways, as it was his last farewell for the rest of the game. And lastly there was (still in Moon route) the small slice-of-life scene with all the members of the occult club finally reunited once again playing the earth simulator. It just hit me extremely hard because I didn’t realize how much I missed the small comical scenes before the game just hit the feels button

Clannad was my second anime I’ve ever seen (with the first being SAO, so not really any high expectations set for anime xD) except for my younger shonen stage, and thus I can’t really pinpoint any particular moment that I favored more than the rest because in all honesty, the entire anime was new to me and completely stood out to me in every way, making me the Key fan I am today.

For Air, I forgot the episode numbers but the entire 2 episode flashback in the past with Kanna, particularly the death of her mother

For Kanon, Mai’s dancing ball scene. Her theme song has always been my favorite and it fit the ball theme so well I get chills every time I watch that scene

In Planetarian probably her death scene while she was remembering all the employees telling her they were going on a trip

1 Like

@IkaCZ Your Rewrite answer is pretty unique. Didn’t think that stood out to much people XD

Actually same with @SirLemuel5. I guess Rewrite isn’t like Little Busters that had one gigantic scene that everyone remembers, but had little scenes that different people found memorable in their own way

1 Like

Which one? His first is Sakuya, and people love him for some reason. The second is a pretty popular scene, and a lot of people would say it’s their favorite. The third, I’m not sure I understand.

I don’t think I’ve heard anyone say Lemuel’s though. I don’t have any strong feelings on that scene. It happened~

Since I’ve just finished Rewrite, I’ll mention this serial’s first.

Rewrite :

• Shizuru’s route is the most emotional for me, I’m not a big fan of her, but damn, I cried on Touka’s death scene. And there’s also the scene when they visit her parents for the last time, Esaka’s last conversation with them, and of course Kotarou’s last moments with Shizuru and that love song at the end. (She had lost everyone she really cares about…!!) Shizuru’s lost voice got me really bad (it’s like my heart is cut in smithereens when she yelled Toukaaaaaaaa) and the BGM is really well-placed as it had successfully emphasise the feelings.

• Akane’s route: His new life with Akane and Shimako. Damn that loli is too cuteeee! Kotarou’s last fight with the earth dragon is also epic and when he stole a kiss from Akane to save her from commiting a suicide.

• Sakuya’s route his last fight with Kotarou and his past with Chihaya. The fight vs Shizuru was also nice. Sakuya moments in Moon route is also my favorite. There’s no way I can hate this guy.

• Lucia’s route: Shizuru vs Lucia, epic battle! The ghost hunting at the start of this route is also refreshing. I also love the conversation in the bus with Kotarou.

• Moon Route: Miracle Adventure, earth simulator, the reinforcement, and the conclusion. Also, when he said ‘I love you, talk to you later’ to Akane. And also his farewell with Haruhiko. And also when he called Haruhiko and Sakuya his brother. Damn, I love those moments.

• Terra route: Luis’ death, not favorite, but quite sad. For some reason, I really like Kotarou’s new life at that other country. It’s not KEY-ish, so it’s unique.

• Common Route: Every single of Yoshino moments! The club encounter the leaf dragon. That scene is the most memorable scene in the whole vn. Very well-written.

• Last, of course, Alternate 'True End’

(OOT) : That said, Kotori is my favorite girl. It’s just… her route’s ending is too…

Dang it. Now my memories on other KEY series are fuzzy…

Little Busters! : farewell scene and Kurugaya’s ending

CLANNAD : The main characters working together for the drama; it’s fun even though it was not much. Kotomi’s route is also quite emotional (that letter). Sunohara trying his best to remember Fuuko. Of course, Ushio and Tomoya’s day out.

Tomoyo After: Takafumi’s story, the conclusion of Tomoya’s neverending fights, Tomo’s farewell with Tomoyo, and of course the last moments in the ‘real’ plot.

Kanon: Makoto’s last moments

AIR : Misuzu at the beach, picking Haruko’s side. (T-T)

Angel Beats!: Graduation scene

Planetarian: Haven’t read yet…

3 Likes

All of them, really. I guess it’s because they didn’t really stand out to me, but I can imagine how they could have stood out for many other people

1 Like

@pepe I would add all the funny scenes since they are all my favs, but when I wanted to think of something, that came up in my mind :p.
There is so much more tho, Im just really lazy to write them all down >_<

Topic revive time! Favorite scene is definitely Clannad After Story Episode 18. I fricken memorized the episode number because I love the flower field scene. This was the first time I ever believed that anime was a medium that could express such emotion and meaning in its scenes. It was the only thing I ever cried to. Also "The Place Where Wishes Come True II is fricken amazing here.

In second place I have the Little Busters! parting of the boys. I think the other replies to the topic adequately describe this.

In third place… wow holy crap the Clannad After Story anime just has so many scenes I love, like getting a hit against Akio to request Nagisa’s hand in marriage. And the last scene at the hill. I especially love the usage of Nagisa Warm.

Ever Key story has at least one memorable scene and they are all beautiful. Those scenes contribute a lot to why I became a Key fan in the first place and why I joined kaza.

4 Likes

Another dead thread revived, guess I should get in on it!

It definitely has to be the parting of the boys scene in Refrain.

Since it’s hard to compare them all after that, I’ll list one from each series, even though there are so many from all of them.

Rewrite: Shizuru’s ending, and everything about it. It’s actually the only scene in anything to get me to actually break down and cry, heh.

Kanon: Makoto’s “death”

AIR: When Misuzu ran to Haruko, instead of staying with her father.

Clannad: Tomoya forgiving his father.

Angel Beats!: Where Yuri shouts the line “Let me tell you something. Humans don’t even have the patience to wait even ten minutes for something!” to the NPC.

planetarian: If we include the Drama CDs, The Junker finding that heaven hasn’t been split in two, after all.

Little Busters! (I’ll include another because why not): Masato’s mini-arc. I love Masato so much.

Charlotte: Kimi no Moji playing at the end, because that song is absolutely gorgeous.

1 Like

Little Busters!:

donna hikari demo
sugaru ikusen no hoshi wo koete
kimi ga warau kara boku mo waraun darou
sonna hi ha yoku harewatatta sora no shita
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ly5NiKQqJvc

That scene is just so far ahead of everything else for me, the closest second would be (LB!) CHEAP TRICKS!, counting both perspectives as one scene and (CLANNAD) the damn flower field. This is what moved me enough to want to dig up everything KEY had ever done, leading to me finding LB!.

5 Likes

I’ve got two from Clannad (After Story): [spoiler]

1. Tomoya tells Ushio about Nagisa during the train ride back from meeting his grandmother, and is shown crying for the first time since Nagisa died.
  2. Nagisa tells Tomoya not to regret meeting her.
    [/spoiler]

…and three from Angel Beats!: [spoiler]

1. Episode three: Masami achieves enlightenment entirely on her own, and leaves, saying, “just as I was saved, I’ll go save somebody else”.
  2. The ending of episode nine: Yuzuru gives hope to the other crash survivors, as well as completing his mission just before he dies; then, he wakes up and decides to join Kanade on her own mission.
  3. Episode thirteen: The whole final scene–all of it. From the moment Yurippe and Hideki set off, leaving Yuzuru and Kanade alone at last, to the final notes of Ichiban no Takaramono as the credits fade out, to that last flash of the EKG graphic and the heading “NEXT STAGE”, everything about this sequence is just perfect.
    [/spoiler]
1 Like

Little Busters!: the baseball game. I am mostly refering to the VN here. Minor anime and VN spoilers ahead. In the anime the team loses, and I’m glad that they kept it realistic instead of having an ass-pull. You lose a lot in the VN too. But every time you play through a route, you get stronger. By the end, if you are lucky, you are strong enough to win without save-scumming. I only did end up winning once the entire VN, but that one time was enough. After getting your shit kicked in every other time, finally winning is so exhilarating. Its like a last chance at fun times before Refrain kicks off, so its fitting in that regard too.

3 Likes

I think I’ll just say stuff that no one has mentioned yet.

• Kanon: I can’t remember clearly anymore, but I remember vaguely liking the Nayuki ending scene in the anime.
  • AIR: (Air Route) Crow-kun’s memories as Yukito reviving. While his physical body is not able to handle it, he still tried to make Misuzu happy again. I got so hurt there.
  • Clannad: Everyone answered the (After Story) the flower field scene, but has anyone mentioned (also After Story) Naoyuki’s backstory yet? Aside from that, (Fuuko Route) Fuuko finally giving her blessings to her sister was so beautiful.
  • Little Busters!: (Kurugaya Route) I totally loved her farewell scene to bits.
  • Rewrite: (Lucia Route) Rooftop scene where Kotarou and Lucia kissed, and all the stuff they said. Cue Yuriha. Also, cue tears. Also, (Kotori Route) the forest breakdown scene. Cue tears. Plus it’s the stuff that made me love Chiwa Saito a lot.
  • Charlotte: Nothing really stood out to me here as touching, but the Misa (Ep. 12) visiting her parents scene was nice.
1 Like

After finishing Rewrite a couple of scenes really stuck out.

Lucia’s route (you know what scene I’m referring to): The date scene with Lucia, obviously. This part was sweet, it was funny, and it had legitimately some of the best characterization I’ve ever read.

Kotori’s route: The end of Kotori’s route, right after the Key is destroyed and Kotori is dragging Kotarou to the hospital. I didn’t care much for her route or her character but this scene had me really feeling for Kotori, and her VA was great here.
Chihaya’s Route (and minor Terra spoiler): The fight with Midou. Well, not quite. The fight was cool and all, but it was the banter between Kotarou and Midou that left an impact. I’ve always loved conflicts of ideals in stories, especially when its between a naive idealist and a jaded, cynical asshole who’s seen some shit. The fact that we actually get to see what made Midou the way he is in Terra makes it even better.

But I do still stand by my previous answer for my single favorite.

1 Like

Air
Just seeing things from Haruko’s point of view after the Summer arc: the present that was meant for Misuzu, rebuilding their bond, as well as Misuzu’s death and it’s impact on Haruko.

Angel Beats!
Yuri’s backstory
Anything involving Iwasawa in ep 3
The exam
Naoi’s backstory
Yuri’s scenes in ep 12
Ep 13 as a whole
Another Epilogue

Charlotte
Nao’s backstory and the situation with her brother

Clannad
The very first scene from the anime

Laser tag (of what little I’ve read of the visual novel, this is the one scene that really stands out)
Kotomi’s backstory and Tomoya’s involvement in it

Tomoya and Sunohara’s fight

Nagisa’s first drink

Tomoya proposes to Nagisa

Nagisa’s death

Sunohara and Tomoyo checking in on the post-Nagisa’s-death Tomoya (Movie)

The field and train scenes with Tomoya and Ushio

Tomoya reconnects with his father

The happy ending

The recap ep
Both OVAs

Kanon
The end of Shiori’s story (2002)
The end of Mai’s story

Little Busters!

The terribly exciting sleep over

Hearing Haruka’s story from Kanata’s point of view

Yuiko’s arc as a whole

Riki and Kyousuke’s baseball game in the rain

The fair well scene

The end of Sasami’s story (EX)

Planetarian
Gentle Jena, nuff said

Yumemi’s death

2 Likes

This scene was quite beautiful with how subtle, but impactful the messages were

Possible Clannad~After Story spoilers

Akio & Sanae scene

2 Likes

I’d say that I have memories Rewrite more than anything else but I’ll list all the the moments that seriously struck me hard.

Kanon:
(Ayu’s route) that moment when she said goodbye to Yuuichi around the end of her route almost brought a tear to my eyes but also that Ayu monologue in her route’s epilogue and how she met up with Yuuichi was amazing.
(Mai’s route) All of Mai’s moment, seriously… Especially the lunch moments and the dance moment. I also liked it when she became weak after what happened to Sayuri on that night (no I’m not including the H scene lol)
Air:
(Minagi’s route) Obviously that moment where Michiru and Minagi had to say goodbye.
(Summer) the moment where Kanna’s mother died and Kanna was trying her best to show her her “skills” at throwing those balls or whatever they were
(Air) was the route I liked the most in Air since reading the story through a Crow’s thoughts isn’t something very commn in VNs lol. I liked it as a whole but I’d say that the best moments would be Misuzu meeting with Sora and those Haruko and Misuzu moments as Misuzu grew weaker… Also the beach moment around the end.
CLANNAD:
(Common route) Every Sunohara moment lol, the Doki Doki High school game or whatever was its name and that game Akio planned to force the losers to eat Sanae’s bread.
(Fuko’s Route) That moment where she stayed at school at night with Tomoya, those moments where Nagisa, Akio, Sanae and Sunohara forgot about her and of course the moment she gave a star fish to her sister and congratulated her and both epilogues.
(Sunohara Siblings’s route) That “It’s because it was you!” moment struck me hard also the flashback of when Tomoya and Sunohara met.
(Kyou’s route) Sunohara’s bro moments of course :kurumu:
(Kotomi’s route) as a whole… I just loved that route… Especially the moments where most of the girls where gathered and the bag wandering around the whole world scene.
(After story) Nagisa’s graduation scene, Ushio’s birth and Nagisa’s death scene, Tomoya and Ushio’s trip, Ushio’s death and the alternate ending.
Planetarian:
EVERY SINGLE MOMENT!! From Yumemi acting super dumb and super cute at the beginning to Okkyaku-sama getting used to Yumemi and that presentation of the stars was the best… Also the fight against that robot and Yumemi’s death and of course… Planetarium wa ika ga deshou?
Tomoyo After:
Not many scenes that are very memorable to me… I need to re-read this one. But there’s Tomoya’s fight against those thugs,That KanakoxTakafumi scene, Tomoyo and Tomo’s parting and Tomoyo doing her best to make Tomoya remember her… And of course Takafumi turning into an American scene and those consecutive H-scenes at the beginning, they made me cry lol.
Little Busters!:
(Common Route) Of course the recruitement of each new member, especially Komari’s, Kurugaya’s and Masato’s fight, Mask the Saito vs Naoe Riki!!, Kyousuke sending Rin at the dorm at nights, Kinniku Yay Yay!!, Riki spending the night inside Kud’s room with the girls, most of the Courage tests’s options, Baseball match and the picture taken when the Little Busters win.… and… Heck, every single moment at the Common route, especially the Kyousuke, Masato and Kurugaya moments. Otherwise, there is that scene where Kengo jumped off the roof to save that eye patched girl.
(Haruka’s route) that moment where Kanata told Haruka and Riki about what was happening to her with the Futaki family.
(Kurugaya’s route) every single damn moment lol… It is my favourite route and Anego’s also my favourite character so it’s pretty normal… Especially Loli loli hunters!, the date and confession scene and the epilogue after reading refrain.
(Mio’s route) Riki’s struggle not to forget about Mio.
(Rin’s route) The baseball match and the cheap trick
(Refrain) the whole thing lol… Especially the moment Masato said goodbye to Riki and disappeared
Rewrite:
(Common Route) Every damn Akane trolling moment (za-za-za-zakena!), Hexas and Dekiruyo! Shizuru scenes, Kotori’s nice english (shake it now baby now~) and every Yoshino scene and Kotarou trolling… Encore une fois, every moment in the Common route!
(Kotori’s route) Yoshino fighting with Kotarou and Inoue scenes.
(Sa- Chihaya’s route) Kotarou’s training with Sakuya and Shizuru and Sakuya’s fight.
(Lucia’s route) obviously the date scene!! and scene at the church where Kotarou rewrote himself for Lucia’s sake… And there’s also every Shizuru badass moment… I liked her better in this route than in her own route lol.
(Akane’s route) I liked the whole route (yes, I’m one of these rare fans of Akane’s route) and I especially liked the kissing scene, Kotarou and Takasago’s fight, Kotarou and the Earth Dragon’s fight and the epilogue.
(Moon) I also liked this whole route, especially the return of the Oka-ken and they being on the same side! Yahooooo!! and their fooling around with the theory,Sakuya suddnly showing up and in a badass mode, the deaths of every characters and the ending was really nice too.
(Terra) There are four scenes that seriously couldn’t get out of my mind from this route: dat moment when Esaka found Kotarou eating plain rice on his own in the toilet and decided to help him bond with others from Guardian with his “Tsukkomi” skills or whatever they were which then resulted in an Imamiya pissing on himself from fear of Esaka and a Kotarou who saved Arata, that moment where Nishikujou introduced child Shizuru to Kotarou and Imamiya and they ended up making a promise to always fight together (not sure if that’s exactly it?) which hurt Kotarou pretty badly since he was betraying them, Kotarou vs Esaka, one of the best fights and the epilogue where all the girls gathered around Kotarou tree and made him their familliar and then they went straight to the Moon.
(Oppai Ending) Best moments are there lol. I don’t know how many times I’ve read it but I somehow memorised what happens in there in very nice details. Oppai Ending is perfect. Every single moment in there is precious and struck me hard in the soul.
Angel Beats!:
I don’t have much memories of it but there is just one scene that won’t get out of my mind:
(Episode 5) It was during the first half… Those five or ten minutes where they were doing their best to ruin Kaede’s test papers were just amazing.Best moments of Angel Beats.
Charlotte:
I alsodon’t have many memories of this one and I don’t remember which episode it was but… Ayumi’s death hurt me so much… even after I re-watched Charlotte and knew that Yuu was going to save her afterwards… Seing Yuu losing his sanity after that hurt a lot too. Also, (episode 13) last scene where Nao introduced herself as Yuu’s lover in the hospital when he forgot about her… That was one of the best romance scenes in Key animes.