Favorite Key Scene

@pepe I would add all the funny scenes since they are all my favs, but when I wanted to think of something, that came up in my mind :p.
There is so much more tho, Im just really lazy to write them all down >_<

Topic revive time! Favorite scene is definitely Clannad After Story Episode 18. I fricken memorized the episode number because I love the flower field scene. This was the first time I ever believed that anime was a medium that could express such emotion and meaning in its scenes. It was the only thing I ever cried to. Also "The Place Where Wishes Come True II is fricken amazing here.

In second place I have the Little Busters! parting of the boys. I think the other replies to the topic adequately describe this.

In third place… wow holy crap the Clannad After Story anime just has so many scenes I love, like getting a hit against Akio to request Nagisa’s hand in marriage. And the last scene at the hill. I especially love the usage of Nagisa Warm.

Ever Key story has at least one memorable scene and they are all beautiful. Those scenes contribute a lot to why I became a Key fan in the first place and why I joined kaza.

4 Likes

Another dead thread revived, guess I should get in on it!

It definitely has to be the parting of the boys scene in Refrain.

Since it’s hard to compare them all after that, I’ll list one from each series, even though there are so many from all of them.

Rewrite: Shizuru’s ending, and everything about it. It’s actually the only scene in anything to get me to actually break down and cry, heh.

Kanon: Makoto’s “death”

AIR: When Misuzu ran to Haruko, instead of staying with her father.

Clannad: Tomoya forgiving his father.

Angel Beats!: Where Yuri shouts the line “Let me tell you something. Humans don’t even have the patience to wait even ten minutes for something!” to the NPC.

planetarian: If we include the Drama CDs, The Junker finding that heaven hasn’t been split in two, after all.

Little Busters! (I’ll include another because why not): Masato’s mini-arc. I love Masato so much.

Charlotte: Kimi no Moji playing at the end, because that song is absolutely gorgeous.

1 Like

Little Busters!:

donna hikari demo
sugaru ikusen no hoshi wo koete
kimi ga warau kara boku mo waraun darou
sonna hi ha yoku harewatatta sora no shita
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ly5NiKQqJvc

That scene is just so far ahead of everything else for me, the closest second would be (LB!) CHEAP TRICKS!, counting both perspectives as one scene and (CLANNAD) the damn flower field. This is what moved me enough to want to dig up everything KEY had ever done, leading to me finding LB!.

5 Likes

I’ve got two from Clannad (After Story): [spoiler]

1. Tomoya tells Ushio about Nagisa during the train ride back from meeting his grandmother, and is shown crying for the first time since Nagisa died.
  2. Nagisa tells Tomoya not to regret meeting her.
    [/spoiler]

…and three from Angel Beats!: [spoiler]

1. Episode three: Masami achieves enlightenment entirely on her own, and leaves, saying, “just as I was saved, I’ll go save somebody else”.
  2. The ending of episode nine: Yuzuru gives hope to the other crash survivors, as well as completing his mission just before he dies; then, he wakes up and decides to join Kanade on her own mission.
  3. Episode thirteen: The whole final scene–all of it. From the moment Yurippe and Hideki set off, leaving Yuzuru and Kanade alone at last, to the final notes of Ichiban no Takaramono as the credits fade out, to that last flash of the EKG graphic and the heading “NEXT STAGE”, everything about this sequence is just perfect.
    [/spoiler]
1 Like

Little Busters!: the baseball game. I am mostly refering to the VN here. Minor anime and VN spoilers ahead. In the anime the team loses, and I’m glad that they kept it realistic instead of having an ass-pull. You lose a lot in the VN too. But every time you play through a route, you get stronger. By the end, if you are lucky, you are strong enough to win without save-scumming. I only did end up winning once the entire VN, but that one time was enough. After getting your shit kicked in every other time, finally winning is so exhilarating. Its like a last chance at fun times before Refrain kicks off, so its fitting in that regard too.

3 Likes

I think I’ll just say stuff that no one has mentioned yet.

• Kanon: I can’t remember clearly anymore, but I remember vaguely liking the Nayuki ending scene in the anime.
  • AIR: (Air Route) Crow-kun’s memories as Yukito reviving. While his physical body is not able to handle it, he still tried to make Misuzu happy again. I got so hurt there.
  • Clannad: Everyone answered the (After Story) the flower field scene, but has anyone mentioned (also After Story) Naoyuki’s backstory yet? Aside from that, (Fuuko Route) Fuuko finally giving her blessings to her sister was so beautiful.
  • Little Busters!: (Kurugaya Route) I totally loved her farewell scene to bits.
  • Rewrite: (Lucia Route) Rooftop scene where Kotarou and Lucia kissed, and all the stuff they said. Cue Yuriha. Also, cue tears. Also, (Kotori Route) the forest breakdown scene. Cue tears. Plus it’s the stuff that made me love Chiwa Saito a lot.
  • Charlotte: Nothing really stood out to me here as touching, but the Misa (Ep. 12) visiting her parents scene was nice.
1 Like

After finishing Rewrite a couple of scenes really stuck out.

Lucia’s route (you know what scene I’m referring to): The date scene with Lucia, obviously. This part was sweet, it was funny, and it had legitimately some of the best characterization I’ve ever read.

Kotori’s route: The end of Kotori’s route, right after the Key is destroyed and Kotori is dragging Kotarou to the hospital. I didn’t care much for her route or her character but this scene had me really feeling for Kotori, and her VA was great here.
Chihaya’s Route (and minor Terra spoiler): The fight with Midou. Well, not quite. The fight was cool and all, but it was the banter between Kotarou and Midou that left an impact. I’ve always loved conflicts of ideals in stories, especially when its between a naive idealist and a jaded, cynical asshole who’s seen some shit. The fact that we actually get to see what made Midou the way he is in Terra makes it even better.

But I do still stand by my previous answer for my single favorite.

1 Like

Air
Just seeing things from Haruko’s point of view after the Summer arc: the present that was meant for Misuzu, rebuilding their bond, as well as Misuzu’s death and it’s impact on Haruko.

Angel Beats!
Yuri’s backstory
Anything involving Iwasawa in ep 3
The exam
Naoi’s backstory
Yuri’s scenes in ep 12
Ep 13 as a whole
Another Epilogue

Charlotte
Nao’s backstory and the situation with her brother

Clannad
The very first scene from the anime

Laser tag (of what little I’ve read of the visual novel, this is the one scene that really stands out)
Kotomi’s backstory and Tomoya’s involvement in it

Tomoya and Sunohara’s fight

Nagisa’s first drink

Tomoya proposes to Nagisa

Nagisa’s death

Sunohara and Tomoyo checking in on the post-Nagisa’s-death Tomoya (Movie)

The field and train scenes with Tomoya and Ushio

Tomoya reconnects with his father

The happy ending

The recap ep
Both OVAs

Kanon
The end of Shiori’s story (2002)
The end of Mai’s story

Little Busters!

The terribly exciting sleep over

Hearing Haruka’s story from Kanata’s point of view

Yuiko’s arc as a whole

Riki and Kyousuke’s baseball game in the rain

The fair well scene

The end of Sasami’s story (EX)

Planetarian
Gentle Jena, nuff said

Yumemi’s death

2 Likes

This scene was quite beautiful with how subtle, but impactful the messages were

Possible Clannad~After Story spoilers

Akio & Sanae scene

2 Likes

I’d say that I have memories Rewrite more than anything else but I’ll list all the the moments that seriously struck me hard.

Kanon:
(Ayu’s route) that moment when she said goodbye to Yuuichi around the end of her route almost brought a tear to my eyes but also that Ayu monologue in her route’s epilogue and how she met up with Yuuichi was amazing.
(Mai’s route) All of Mai’s moment, seriously… Especially the lunch moments and the dance moment. I also liked it when she became weak after what happened to Sayuri on that night (no I’m not including the H scene lol)
Air:
(Minagi’s route) Obviously that moment where Michiru and Minagi had to say goodbye.
(Summer) the moment where Kanna’s mother died and Kanna was trying her best to show her her “skills” at throwing those balls or whatever they were
(Air) was the route I liked the most in Air since reading the story through a Crow’s thoughts isn’t something very commn in VNs lol. I liked it as a whole but I’d say that the best moments would be Misuzu meeting with Sora and those Haruko and Misuzu moments as Misuzu grew weaker… Also the beach moment around the end.
CLANNAD:
(Common route) Every Sunohara moment lol, the Doki Doki High school game or whatever was its name and that game Akio planned to force the losers to eat Sanae’s bread.
(Fuko’s Route) That moment where she stayed at school at night with Tomoya, those moments where Nagisa, Akio, Sanae and Sunohara forgot about her and of course the moment she gave a star fish to her sister and congratulated her and both epilogues.
(Sunohara Siblings’s route) That “It’s because it was you!” moment struck me hard also the flashback of when Tomoya and Sunohara met.
(Kyou’s route) Sunohara’s bro moments of course :kurumu:
(Kotomi’s route) as a whole… I just loved that route… Especially the moments where most of the girls where gathered and the bag wandering around the whole world scene.
(After story) Nagisa’s graduation scene, Ushio’s birth and Nagisa’s death scene, Tomoya and Ushio’s trip, Ushio’s death and the alternate ending.
Planetarian:
EVERY SINGLE MOMENT!! From Yumemi acting super dumb and super cute at the beginning to Okkyaku-sama getting used to Yumemi and that presentation of the stars was the best… Also the fight against that robot and Yumemi’s death and of course… Planetarium wa ika ga deshou?
Tomoyo After:
Not many scenes that are very memorable to me… I need to re-read this one. But there’s Tomoya’s fight against those thugs,That KanakoxTakafumi scene, Tomoyo and Tomo’s parting and Tomoyo doing her best to make Tomoya remember her… And of course Takafumi turning into an American scene and those consecutive H-scenes at the beginning, they made me cry lol.
Little Busters!:
(Common Route) Of course the recruitement of each new member, especially Komari’s, Kurugaya’s and Masato’s fight, Mask the Saito vs Naoe Riki!!, Kyousuke sending Rin at the dorm at nights, Kinniku Yay Yay!!, Riki spending the night inside Kud’s room with the girls, most of the Courage tests’s options, Baseball match and the picture taken when the Little Busters win.… and… Heck, every single moment at the Common route, especially the Kyousuke, Masato and Kurugaya moments. Otherwise, there is that scene where Kengo jumped off the roof to save that eye patched girl.
(Haruka’s route) that moment where Kanata told Haruka and Riki about what was happening to her with the Futaki family.
(Kurugaya’s route) every single damn moment lol… It is my favourite route and Anego’s also my favourite character so it’s pretty normal… Especially Loli loli hunters!, the date and confession scene and the epilogue after reading refrain.
(Mio’s route) Riki’s struggle not to forget about Mio.
(Rin’s route) The baseball match and the cheap trick
(Refrain) the whole thing lol… Especially the moment Masato said goodbye to Riki and disappeared
Rewrite:
(Common Route) Every damn Akane trolling moment (za-za-za-zakena!), Hexas and Dekiruyo! Shizuru scenes, Kotori’s nice english (shake it now baby now~) and every Yoshino scene and Kotarou trolling… Encore une fois, every moment in the Common route!
(Kotori’s route) Yoshino fighting with Kotarou and Inoue scenes.
(Sa- Chihaya’s route) Kotarou’s training with Sakuya and Shizuru and Sakuya’s fight.
(Lucia’s route) obviously the date scene!! and scene at the church where Kotarou rewrote himself for Lucia’s sake… And there’s also every Shizuru badass moment… I liked her better in this route than in her own route lol.
(Akane’s route) I liked the whole route (yes, I’m one of these rare fans of Akane’s route) and I especially liked the kissing scene, Kotarou and Takasago’s fight, Kotarou and the Earth Dragon’s fight and the epilogue.
(Moon) I also liked this whole route, especially the return of the Oka-ken and they being on the same side! Yahooooo!! and their fooling around with the theory,Sakuya suddnly showing up and in a badass mode, the deaths of every characters and the ending was really nice too.
(Terra) There are four scenes that seriously couldn’t get out of my mind from this route: dat moment when Esaka found Kotarou eating plain rice on his own in the toilet and decided to help him bond with others from Guardian with his “Tsukkomi” skills or whatever they were which then resulted in an Imamiya pissing on himself from fear of Esaka and a Kotarou who saved Arata, that moment where Nishikujou introduced child Shizuru to Kotarou and Imamiya and they ended up making a promise to always fight together (not sure if that’s exactly it?) which hurt Kotarou pretty badly since he was betraying them, Kotarou vs Esaka, one of the best fights and the epilogue where all the girls gathered around Kotarou tree and made him their familliar and then they went straight to the Moon.
(Oppai Ending) Best moments are there lol. I don’t know how many times I’ve read it but I somehow memorised what happens in there in very nice details. Oppai Ending is perfect. Every single moment in there is precious and struck me hard in the soul.
Angel Beats!:
I don’t have much memories of it but there is just one scene that won’t get out of my mind:
(Episode 5) It was during the first half… Those five or ten minutes where they were doing their best to ruin Kaede’s test papers were just amazing.Best moments of Angel Beats.
Charlotte:
I alsodon’t have many memories of this one and I don’t remember which episode it was but… Ayumi’s death hurt me so much… even after I re-watched Charlotte and knew that Yuu was going to save her afterwards… Seing Yuu losing his sanity after that hurt a lot too. Also, (episode 13) last scene where Nao introduced herself as Yuu’s lover in the hospital when he forgot about her… That was one of the best romance scenes in Key animes.

It’s pretty hard to narrow down the choices as there are just so many great ones. Mainly sad ones are my faves but some very funny ones too I have to mention.

At the top of my list

AIR - Misuzu’s dying scene “I tried my best, right?..” That just sends me into floods of tears every time, they do such a great job of making you adore Misuzu and then do that to you!

Honourable mention to: Michuru’s final scene on the roof

CLANNAD - just edging out the many is the flower field scene another great tear jerker even though it’s not really sad scene, it’s a special moment.

Honourable mentions to: (anime) Fuko disappears leaving Tomoya and Nagisa asleep together, Fuko and Kouko at the wedding, Kotomi’s breakdown, Akio impassioned speech at Nagisa’s play, Nagisa’s death while ‘Parting at the foot of the hill’ plays, Tomoya’s reconciliation with his father.

Kanon - “Ayu Tsukimiya is no longer in this world”

Honourable mention to Makoto’s wedding, Shiori’s final scene at the fountain, Sayuri’s confession about her brother

Angel Beats! - I never thought I’d choose as pretty much the whole of episode 10 Yui is an annoying genki girl at first, but the ending with “I’d marry you!” and Hinata’s speech while Ichiban… is playing is just wonderful.

Honourable mentions as the numerous members of SSS move on starting with Iwasawa and ‘The Graduation ceremony’ considering there isn’t much time to build a lot of depth for some of them. Plus of course Kanade’s revelation to Yuzuru and his confession of love at the end

Kanon funnies - Ayu in virtually every scene but most of all at the cinema
AIR funnies - “Confession Corner”, The Summer route and the teasing of Lady Kanna
CLANNAD funnies - Just about every scene Sunohara is in, the pranks on Fuko and her general weirdness, The Furukawa family gets drunk
Angel Beats! funnies - Yui’s audition, the rocket chair + Brave Song, Yui’s guitar playing being slated by the band while Yuzuru set up Kanade to do the same

~

That’s Part 1, I still have to think about LB!, planetarian and Rewrite…

1 Like

This is really tough for me but I thought some of the moments that stuck me the most…not in order though…

Tomoyo After - Unpopular, but that part when Kanako snaps out at the amnesiac Tomoya. I personally think that really highlights how much Tomoya’s hard work and actions meant for her and everyone else, and how frustrating the situation is.

The parts where Tomoyo was ‘typing’ on the white screen or something like that especially in the end. I thought that was really cool.

Planetarian - The projection

The scenes where Yumemi and Junker walks around the city.

Yumemi’s death…

Little Busters! - The rescue scene. Like how Riki and Rin was trying to save everyone from the crashed bus. I can still remember the first time I read it how nervous and pressured I am as Riki at that time. It is certainly intense when you first read it.

Kanata’s route, the limousine scene. Oh boy, do I enjoy the Little Busters kicking out the adults. This one is both epic and emotional for me at the same time.

And of course Muscle Revolution haha!

Clannad - Kotomi’s backstory. It’s so well written I love it…

The final scenes with Naoyuki and Tomoya, that broke me a lot…

Rewrite - Akane’s route, the part where Kotarou and Akane live together after the salvation/Earth Dragon fight thing until the epilogue

I’ll probably edit this someday…but I guess for now it would be Kanon(Makoto’s wedding) and AIR(Goal…Misuzu’s death)

2 Likes

Easily for me its the very opening of Kanon, the way how its starts of with Nayuki talking to you at the train station, I find really establishes the most sombre mood and I love that about Kanon.

1 Like

My favorite scene: The end of Tomoyo After. The two things I like the most in Key stories are their ability to convey big emotions and their ability to change our paradigm (as Hisaya says in CRYSTAR “You must give meaning to your tears”). Both of these things were here for me. The scene is extremely powerful with its minimalist presentation and bittersweet ending. I also think that Maeda breaking the conventional way of writing and talking “directly to us” is what makes it powerful, it reminds me how the playwright Brecht used the distancing effect to make his messages more powerful.
After finishing the VN, I couldn’t stop thinking about the ending during several months. I remember that one day, I had to participate to a short comedic movie with friends and to keep my seriousness during some scenes, I just needed to play Harmony with Sorrow in my head, it worked extremely well.
The end of Tomoyo After reminds me that no matter how life sucks sometimes she still deserves to be lived because there’ll always be someone to help you and because life is truly a wonderful thing. Reminding that helped me during some hard parts of my life.

MOON.: The last part of the VN was very well made with scenes like the flower field scene or the goodbye to Boy in the MINMES but my favorite is the black and white psychological scene at the end. It was a living nightmare and it made me fell like losing my mind. Also, the H-scene between Haruka and Ryousuke is my favorite H-scene ever.

ONE: my favorite route is the Mizuka route but I like the route as a whole and not for a specific scene. So I think my favorite scene is when Kouhei leaves Akane at the end, it makes me want to cry every time. I also really like the scene where Misaki explains her problem under a starry sky and her sad moral about enjoying the beauty of life through other people.

Kanon: I hesitate between the scene where Ayu is leaving Yuuichi, wanting him to use her last wish to make him forget about her, and the wedding scene of Makoto, which is the conclusion of an excellent crying story. I can still hear the ringing of the bell that only plays in the VN when the lifeless arm of Makoto touch the ground as she dies.
My favorite scene of the Key anime adaptations is the Sayuri scene from Kanon '06 where she explains the meaning of Kanon, it made me realises the value of the slice of life part in Key works.
My 2 favorite scenes from the manga are also from the Kanon manga… And keep in mind that I’ve experienced all the English adaptations and extra things of the Key VNs I’ve read, I don’t know why Kanon got such good adaptations but it’s just how it is. Anyway, my favorite scene of the Key manga is from the second manga adaptation of Kanon when we see Ayu’s soul saving Shiori from death by using her last wish. Great illustration of the wishes theory and pretty sad scene since Ayu is sacrificing herself probably like in the VN.
My second favorite scene of the manga is in the Kanon & AIR Sky manga, it’s in the chapter Regret, Sayuri and Kaori talk to each other about regrets and the chapter ends with a picture of Kaori crying while holding the shawl of Shiori. This is the best illustration of the Kanon’s theme of regret I’ve seen.

AIR:
The goal scene, the whole end was a perfect conclusion for the VN for me. Through the effort of everyone, Misuzu is liberated from her curse and she dies in pure happiness after having passed the best (and also shortest) summer of her life. I love this bittersweet ending and the abstract epilogue following it.
The dinner scene between Michiru and her mother is my second favorite AIR scene, it’s just crazy when you think about what is happening. I just can’t imagine this kind of stuff outside of Key, their supernatural stories are just awesome when they’re well made.

CLANNAD: I would say three scenes: Fuko wishing to her sister to seek her own happiness as she symbolically dies, Tomoya reconciliation with his father and his past and the flower field scene where Tomoya find a new reason to live and Ushio find the father she wanted.

CLANNAD Side Stories: the end of Misae’s story. It made me love Stand By Me.

planetarian:
the death of Yumemi since my favorite thing about the VN is the devotion of Yumemi towards humanity, planetarian changed my view on robots.
My second favorite scene is the projection which reminds me how much beautiful humanity is.

Little Busters!: I’ve not finished the VN yet so I’m going to say the end of Kud’s route. It was shocking, sad and ultimately beautiful. Kud understood that her home was with her loved ones and she understood that she didn’t need to follow the steps of her mother, however she still decides to takes this path for herself. I loved the route as a whole and the fact that Kud is totally useless during the whole story and even a bother at times despite the fact that she wants to become as useful as her mother, really touched me.
I also really liked the end of Mio’s route where Riki becomes the blue of Mio and Midori.

Angel Beats!: I don’t remember a lot of things from the anime since it was long ago and since I had a pretty bad experience with it (I want to give it a second chance though). The scene that I preferred from it was the ending where Kanade leaves the MC forever after conveying her feelings, that was really sad.

Key related things:

CLANNAD The Past Path: The flower field scene at the end was really satisfying and the scene where Yui leaves the protagonist was very good, that was a good idea to include her in the story.

sola: my favorite scenes are the surreal scenes were Yurito and Matsuri are looking at the sky, with them, Matsuri shows that we can profit of the beauty of the world through other people, that’s a really sad moral. The end where they both dies is also quite sad.

Sora no Method: the end or the scene when Nonoka came back to the town again, what I like about the anime was the concept of friendship tied by the disc and not a scene in particular though.

CRYSTAR: My favorite part of the game is the end of the chapter 5, it was extremely well made and Thelema made me cry. I also love the inner conflict scene with the choices at the end which conveys the main theme of the game and the scene with Kuon that we see every time when the story repeats itself. Kuon is my favorite character with Thelema and that might be because I’m in the same situation as Rei in this regard.

Utawarerumono 3: my favorite scene is the last fight of the game but as something that Suzumoto could have written it’s the scene with the mother of Osthor which was very sad.

1 Like

For me, it’s not a particular “scene,” per se. It’s one particular CG (Little Busters):

This one image to me sums up not just Refrain and not even just Little Busters, but themes from Key in general. Packed into this one image we have:

1. (Kanon) An acceptance of the memory of the past
  2. (AIR) The entrusting of a dream to tomorrow
  3. (Clannad and Tomoyo After) The immense difficulty and responsibility of seizing happiness
  4. (Planetarian) The necessity to reach out to the stars and the “impossible”
  5. (Little Busters) The true meaning of friendship and growing up
  6. (Angel Beats) The fulfillment of a “last wish”
  7. (Rewrite) The determination to create a hope for the future.
  8. (Charlotte) I’ll be real; I never watched it because I heard it wasn’t very good
  9. (Harmonia) The ability to express our feelings to those close to us

All of this combines to create what will always be the most memorable “scene” to me.

4 Likes