Currently Airing Anime

So far I’m planning to watch:
Yuru Camp
Violet Evergarden
Citrus
Takagi-san
Sora Yoori mo Tooi Basho

I am actually so excited for Yuru Camp in particular. It looks to have unbelievably good vibes and the PVs for it have been amazing. Winter 2018 looks like it’ll be a great season.

Sora Yoori Tooi Basho is anime of the season calling it now

Alright, so here’s what I got myself into this season

• DamePri - Have only watched one episode so far. The premise is actually my kind of thing, and Ani is pretty awesome. Unfortunately, I found the visual execution and soundtrack distractingly bad, which is a shame. I might consider picking it up soon, because it really has a lot of charm to it.
  • Pop Team Epic - I’ve only watched a couple of episodes, when I saw my friends at the Univ watching it: Episode 1, and whatever episode has that Marilyn Monroe thing… and jesus I thought ClassicaLoid was already weird. D: It’s not the kind of show I can actively watch unless I’m watching with other people (their reactions add to the enjoyment haha), but I can appreciate its existence as high-quality shitposting anime.
  • Mitsuboshi Colors - saw my Univ friends watching the 1st episode too. Not sure if it’s enough of my thing to follow, but it’s a pleasantly funny episode. ^^
  • Miira no Kaikata - Weekly dose of hnggggg is just about exactly my kind of thing. And boy I love it.

hngggggggggg prot e c c
  • ClassicaLoid S2 - …I’ll just leave this tweet to describe what this show is about:
    it me
    source: https://twitter.com/joseinextdoor/status/963117014134001665
    :'D

From the previous season, I finally got to finish Girls’ Last Tour, and it was the first time I cried over an anime because of pure beauty. The anime wasn’t always engaging (but that’s because it’s me), but dang that finale delivered so well. There’s also this:

GLT why

1 Like

Anime I am watching:

Violet Evergarden: I love the animation, so beautiful. And Violet is an interesting, mysterious character.

Citrus: Well, because its yuri :smiley: Seriously though, it has a good plot to it.

I am watching others, but, those are the best ones this season, imo.

3 Likes

I agree, Pop Team Epic is weird. I don’t get it at all. But I’m still keeping up with it from week to week for some reason, lol. I guess it has some kind of strange charm… a strange, really shitty charm, but a charm nonetheless. I think my buddy summarized it best:
“No one gets it, even the animators don’t get it, but that’s the point”

As for what else I’m watching, I’m keeping up with Sora yori mo tooi basho - which as some others here have said, is great - and Gintama.

4 Likes

Reminder that the best airing show this season is Slow Start and shitty MAL scores mean nothing. Other than that, Sora Yori Tooi Basho is pretty awesome and if Slow Start wasn’t so charming, it’d easily be the best show of the season.

2 Likes

I don’t think I have seen a better explanation of Pop Team Epic. it really is just a terrible little series that does not make sense at all. But through that it has its own charm that makes it memorable and makes me want to watch it.

2 Likes

So this season, I just stuck with two anime series. I might pick up some more during the Holy Week break.

• ClassicaLoid 2nd Season ended just today. It’s not as consistent as 1st Season, that much is true, but I still think it’s just around as incredible – which is already better than expected given the director change. Regardless, it gave me the Symphony No. 40 and more Disco Bach that I’ve been waiting months for, so I regret nothing… or maybe I do sort of regret something…

Anyway, I really hope it gets another sequel because this has been so much fun ;u;
  • Miira no Kaikata, I’m not sure if it’s going to have an amazing finale, but it’s going in interesting direction lately so I’m interested to see how this series would end. More importantly, some of the middle episodes made me cry (spoilers), send help.

So I haven’t been able to keep up with new anime these past few weeks, but I’m glad to have been able to catch up with LoGH’s new adaptation, aka Dieee Neueee Theeeese. Take note that I’m a newcomer to this series, so please bear with me. :'D

I guess I could describe the experience as something quite like listening to classical music: I totally get why some would find it boring (and sometimes I do feel that way), but there’s a lot to love from its writing.

I’d say the least interesting thing about the show for me is the action spectacle. They look nice, certainly, but as someone who’s not used to watching war drama, they’re kind of hard to follow, though I do get what’s going on on a surface level. Though the bigger problem for me is that most of the time there’s not a lot of emotional hook to them, so it’s kind of hard for me to invest on the pew pew lasers. The exception to that so far is the Death Star-esque fortress invasion episode, where the procedure is much easier to follow, and at the same time the feels hit me very hard – it’s very understated and I’m not going to spoil it but you can really feel Yang’s seething anger as he is forced to do something he really didn’t want to do.

And with that, I’d say the strongest aspect of the show so far has been its characters. There’s a lot of really good characters in this show, and the chemistry between them is, hoo boi. Yang Wen-Li is so far my favorite character as he’s just naturally compelling and fun to follow, Oberstein is legit intriguing, Julian is currently my son (even if he has Yuuki Kaji’s distractingly distinct voice) and his interactions with his guardian has been hugely enjoyable, and Reinhard and Car Keys Kircheis are totally gay and not even original author Yoshiki Tanaka can convince me otherwise. The female cast is unfortunately sparse and it makes it easy for them to fall squarely into archetypes (which is what I feel about Annerose and Frederica right now), but there’s a really good scene with Jessica in Episode 5. Actually the three we’ve been introduced with so far has been shown to be intelligent people, which I appreciate.

About the show’s political intrigue, hmm, I’m not really sure about it yet, though I do think there’s a lot of good observations that the show has made about war and politics.

Spoilers! Also, Politics :P

One scene I liked was when Reinhard observed how nobles are often put in high positions of power in the military without really directly experiencing the kind of violence that front-line soldiers generally go through. A similar message was also conveyed during the scene with Jessica and the Chair: the civilians lose people from war but the politicians who lead the warfare in the first place never really had to sacrifice anything. I don’t exactly get yet if Yoshiki Tanaka is coming from a Marxist perspective, but he has this observations of class divide that I find honestly intriguing, and I’m interested in how he’s going to move forward with it.

The other thing is how Tanaka observed how fascism happens in the first place, particularly with the scene with Yang talking about Emperor Rudolf with Jessica. It’s certainly true that the passivity of the masses creates a dictator, but it’s hard to wholly place blame on the masses when there’s this thing called hegemony that makes people extremely prone to trusting a dictator.

Still, this criticism of valuing individual comfort over pursuing widespread relief is a thing that holds true especially towards the middle class, who are in the best position to take an apolitical or neutral stance because instilling social change would demand going outside of their comfort zone but chances are they’re already comfortable with the semblance of privilege they have (I’m not throwing shade or anything; this is something I honestly struggle with as well, but I do think it’s important to be at least aware of it).

So yeah, I’m not yet sure where the show is going thematically yet (other than character deaths which I’m very well aware of based on my experience from the fandom of Tanaka’s other work, Arslan Senki), but there’s a lot of intriguing stuff going for it, and I’m already very invested in a lot of characters, so I’m looking forward where this is going next! :happy:

sips tea

P.S.: I’m not yet sure if I’m going to watch the OVAs after this. In its favor, it has classical music as soundtrack, which I’m all for, and I heard it’s mostly Mahler, whom I need to get to at some point. On another hand, the length is kind of overwhelming… ;w;

P.P.S: Speaking of which, as usual I don’t care as much about Sawano’s soundtrack except for the OP, but I can’t for the life of me unhear Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now from the chorus.

1 Like

Am I the only one here watching Lost Song?

I’m currently only following two shows this season:

• Gegege no Kitarou – The latest two episodes are not that strong, but the two episodes that preceded it are really good stuff. The first one surprised me that a general-audience show would seriously tackle on the horrors brought by late capitalism. Meanwhile, the episode that followed it swayed me by sheer hype: it was really heartwarming seeing Medama-Oyaji’s determination to protect his child. It’s not always consistent, but its highs are very high (the train to hell episode was genuinely terrifying and the best episode of the show yet), so I look forward to where it goes next.
  • Hataraku Saibou – So fun I love it! I have some complaints about the excessive use of exposition in Episode 2, which do worry me on how the future episodes are going to be handled, but the show is brimming with fun and it’s well animated and I like the characters a lot (I still can’t get over Neutrophil’s bad pun near the end of Episode 2). I’ve also read the manga, so I’m excited to see how they’re going to do with it. Trivia: Kikuko Inoue is voicing a Macrophage, and I’m honestly curious on how she’s going to act this line:
    macrophage pls

Here to say that the best current airing anime is Planet With.

1 Like

Make sure to watch Grand Blue, folks! It’s a comedy about youth, passion, excessive drinking and the absolute hilarity of being total assholes to each-other.

1 Like

Watch Island, since it’s based on a VN.

That’s a horrible way to sell an anime to someone.

2 Likes

Alright, I’ll rephrase.

Island is an interesting all ages SF and romance VN of recent years. The anime provides easy entry to the story for those who can’t wait for the VN English localization.

You have to wait about a month or two. I think it’s possible to wait.

Anyone here watching Yuragi-sou to Yuuna-san? If so, thoughts on it?

I’m watching it. It’s alright, I suppose. Just be prepared for a ton of fanservice, and rather predictable jokes. It’s watchable enough where I’m not exactly dreading my watching of an episode a week, so I’ll finish it.

Some Fall 2018 Impressions, and I think I’m sticking with all of them holy lordt

• Isekai Slime – was the one I was anticipating the most. I still have a few qualms about it, mainly about it possibly veering too far into power fantasy that made most isekai shows unapproachable for me – but the characters so far introduced are surprisingly endearing. The tsundere dragon is easily the best part of the show for me so far, but the slime boi himself is fun, elevated by really expressive animation. More importantly, bless Ebata
  • Skeleton Bookstore Employee Honda – is really funny and I love it
  • Bloom Into You – As someone who has so often been suffocated by heteronormative views expressed by people around me (the most blatant of them, and I’m not kidding about this, is being told in more than one instance “if you don’t pick a crush you’re abnormal” despite literally having none), Episode 1 hit me like a speeding truck. I’m still in the process of figuring out my own sexuality, but this Tumblr post describes more-or-less what I feel about the first episode.
1 Like