Currently Airing Anime

1. Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai - I think it’ll be overhype in this season, but for the first time it’s look good. The animation is a bit like OreGairu and plot reminds InoBato.
  2. To Aru Majutsu No Index - continuation of great anime that was worth waiting.

If I don’t forget, I’ll try to write a more detailed opinion about these titles. It’s hard to argue based on the first series.

At first goblin slayer had me pretty uncomfortable due to the first episode, but now it just has me laughing all the time due to how funny and intense the main character’s obsession with goblins is.
“Goblin slayer these people want to talk to you”
goblin slayer looks at an elf, dwarf, and lizardman
GS: “Are you goblins?”

Or the lizardman’s super happy reaction to eating melted cheese for the first time.

I’m watching Zombieland Saga this season. I’m not into idol anime (the only other one I’ve ever watched was the first season of “Wake Up Girls”), but I like the comedy. And the thing that got me to watch it in the first place was the rap battle in episode 2. 'twas awesome.

I know there’s others here who watch it since I’ve seen at least one Zombieland Saga avatar on discord ^^

1 Like

YEAH. Loving it too so far. My only qualm about it are its sudden dips in melodrama that baffles me emotionally, but the comedy keeps me staying for more. I haven’t watched a lot of idol shows myself but when I do, I always end up with the strangely reflective ones (take Revue Starlight for example) heh

Besides Zombieland Saga, I’ve been watching Jojo’s! God I love it… And the torture dance sequence was fab. I’m thinking of jumping into Bloom into You too. Have a feeling this would wreck me.

1 Like

Has everyone been watching Tensei Shitara Slime? I absolutely recommend watching it!
It’s the top adventure/fantasy of this season imo

I’d recommend any this Fall anime 2018 listed below even. The highlights should definitely be these below:

Goblin Slayer: best psychological/edgy this season
Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara: best slice-of-life this season
Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet: based on Romeo/Juliet tropes, probably the best romcom
Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai: best romance this season
Sword Art Online: Alicization: because the adored alicization ARC is finally adapted
Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken: best adventure/fantasy this season
Toaru Majutsu no Index III: because the world war ARC will finally be adapted
Yagate Kimi ni Naru: adored Yuri manga finally adapted

1 Like

Been watching a few shows. This season is p great so far, especially with Mob Psycho 100 and The Promised Neverland offering fantastic premier episodes. The Promised Neverland was especially a surprise despite already knowing what’s gonna happen, it was just so well executed that even I felt tensed with the reveal.

I tried Boogiepop as well but idk it was ok I guess.

Shield Hero was really, really difficult to watch through. the anime managed to evoke my initial frustration towards it when I read the manga.

2 Likes

I have heard so much of The Promised Neverland that I really want to watch it. But now I have too much animes in my list so I reserve it for later :sweat_smile:. About the currently airing anime I’m watching Tsurune it’s about archery, the animation is really great (didn’t expect less from KyoAni) and it’s quite different from Free! and I’m also watching the new episodes of Fairy Tail.

1 Like

Looks like I’ll likely dedicate this season to catching up with anime I’ve slept on before. It’s a long list hhhhhhh

I started out that catch-up with watching Mob Psycho 100 and HOLY SHIT THE ANIMATION IS SOMETHING ELSE. I’ve already heard that it’s pretty much Bones’ most visually ambitious production lately, but boy I was not prepared for that. It’s nice to see anime this strangely beautiful and lovingly crafted once in a while. Anyway, I would have probably dropped the show by Episode 1 if not for the visuals, because Reigen was pretty annoying at first, but I found myself warming to the character eventually. Mob, meanwhile, is a precious child and I want him to be happy always.

That’s Season 1. The ongoing Season 2… that scene near the end of Episode 1 was breathtakingly beautiful. Before I got to the show, I saw a clip of that over Tumblr, and that’s what made me finally start watching the show. Thank you, whoever uploaded that clip. The show instantly became one of my favorites lately :stuck_out_tongue:

Other than that, I’m watching Slime Isekai, which is wholesome as always. It’s not a show I can describe as “well-written” and in general, it’s a pretty standard power fantasy, but some of the characters are fun to follow (Gobta!!!), and the animation is awesome. It’s at its strongest when it’s just dedicated to being a low-stakes adventure, but sometimes the show can also hit me in the gut with feels. I cried over a pig, again… :uee:

I checked out The Promised Neverland’s Episode 1, and it’s pretty cool. I have other priorities at the moment, so I don’t see myself actively following it, but I’ll be sure to watch it by the end of the season :wink:

1 Like

Another Mob fan! I have been so hype for season 2 - I watched the first season while it aired. And Crunchyroll put the recap episode (which I highly suggest watching if you haven’t because it is hilarious) and the first episode of season 2 into US theaters for a premiere event, which was really cool.

I know there are a lot of people who are more into One Punch Man, but Mob Psycho has such a better emotional back bone to it I consider it vastly superior.

1 Like

I haven’t checked out much this season yet, but nothing’s stood out much so far apart from Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero, which is a definite watch. I’ve already read the manga so I more or less know the story, but it was a while ago so I don’t remember all the details, which keeps the anime adaptation fresh enough.

Planning to watch Boogiepop though, I have pretty high expectations for it since I was a fan of the original series and I recall the manga for this one was good too.

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat with Boogiepop. I have watched the original many times, and am a big fan. I am excited for the new season, extremely, but my schedule has been hectic, so I haven’t started in on it yet.

I’m watching Tate no Yuusha as well. I also read the whole original web novel, a lot of the manga and light novels so I’ve experienced quite a bit of the story already haha.

1 Like

So I’ve decided to follow The Promised Neveland now, and I’m really impressed with the show’s directing. There’s definitely a lot of thought put into it. Also, I love Emma so much!

Also forgot to mention this, but I’m actually still watching Boruto’s Dad’s Son, which is still more of the same – don’t expect a lot of originality or depth into it, but it has a solid thematic backbone, its characters bounce off each other well, the animation highlights can amaze, and most importantly, Sarada is just a delight to follow.

:ramenset:

Summer 2019 just ended for me so time to toss in some thoughts in this thread (one last time :uee:). This is a pretty stacked season for me (I don’t watch a lot, but having three of the shows I watched this season be AOTS-level is already stacked for me shhh).

Anyway, starting with my least favorite that I liked enough to not drop, Astra Lost in Space was actually pretty solid for me. I just wasn’t all that invested in the plot part of the show, but the cast? I love them. I want to adopt them all. And sometimes that’s all that matters.

O Maidens in Your Savage Season is probably my favorite Mari Okada show right now? But I guess I like Maquia more? But also I never really felt so seen in a show quite like this show did. The characters can be so extra about their feelings, but those feelings felt so real for me. It got into some sensitive subject matters like child grooming, though I thought it was handled with a surprising amount of care, but just a heads-up. Still, everyone (of age haha) needs to see the peak of cinematography that is Episode 1 haha

However, my favorite show that aired this season is easily Given. And not just because I found myself watching Episode 9’s Fuyu no Hanashi scene 328478656345 times and still bawling my eyes out every single time, although that episode definitely solidified this show as my AOTS. I’m not gonna go say that this is “good for a BL” because this is literally the first time I watched a BL, but this is just a really well-written band drama / gay romance with complex, likable characters, strong sense of atmosphere, and a story that is often cute and at times heartbreaking. I’m definitely looking out for director Hikaru Yamaguchi’s next works and the film

As for the carryovers, Carole & Tuesday’s second half was so powerful that I had to write an entire blog post about it. You can see it here, but be warned that this covered episodes that hasn’t officially been released in English yet. Boruto’s Dad’s Son, I’m still watching. None of its two arcs this season were particularly impressive, but the episode with Himawari talking to Shukaku was extremely cute, and the premise for the next arc sounds interesting, so I’m still here.

I’ve also been catched up with Pokemon Sun & Moon the past few weeks, and I love it! It’s a lot of fun, full of endearing characters and wacky humor elevated by a really strong animation. I actually didn’t feel that strongly about the league arc mainly because Ash is hardly my favorite character in the show, but that’s okay, because the show’s real strength for me is always present. Like, uh, its comedic moments

rip_everyone

1 Like

Wish I had a more fitting “last post in Kaza” but I just want to talk about a show that just aired this season. Autumn 2019 didn’t really offer a lot for me. But there’s like one show this season that I actually finished(?) watching, and goddang Hoshiai no Sora (Stars Align) wrecked me in more ways than one. A real shame that it was kept from being told its story fully, but it’s amazing how much the show was already able to achieve as an exploration of the various suffering that young children go through, especially of the sort that’s inflicted by the very same people that ought to be the ones caring for them.

Each of the main characters’ stories hit hard and very close to home at times (and without spoiling, I’m still not sure how director Kazuki Akane managed to get away telling Yuu Asuka’s arc because hOLY HECK), but did it really had to personally attack me like this:

“My mom says it’s stupid for me to draw things. That all I do is draw manga. And that drawing pictures isn’t something respectable people do. […] And yet, wanting to draw, is it that silly and stupid of a thought to have? Is it just because I’m stupid that I like drawing? But the thing is, I want to get even better at it. I wanna be able to draw the things in my head as I see them. That’s why… I wanna learn how to draw!” --Kanako Mitsue

2 Likes

I’d like to try it but it doesn’t seem to be available on any of my anime channel subscriptions.

‘Currently airing’ is a bit of a vague definition for me since few online are still incomplete in their run - but I am quite absorbed in - if not fully comprehending - ‘Babylon’, and I’m on episode 5 of 8 available to me so far. This is at first a pretty straight up police procedural with little by way of SoL or comedy but with a big dose of psychological intrigue. There are are some quite heavy themes (e.g. euthanasia ) and it soon develops a very noirish feel if a little heavy handed at times. I haven’t seen ‘Psycho Pass’ but I gather the two have been considered similar in style and content.

Of the newish anime I have watched towards the end of this year so far, I have most enjoyed Rascal… and ‘Your Lie in April’, and to my surprise I’m also enjoying ‘Fruits Basket 2019’ which is the first shōjo I have watched.

2 Likes