Currently Airing Anime

Ping pong girl is pretty much exactly as advertised: cute girls playing ping pong. It randomly decided to have a really intense episode yesterday though.

2 Likes

I actually heard about that episode, but I didnā€™t went further to check since I donā€™t want to spoil myself with this, and besides so far Iā€™ve enjoyed it.

By the way can I say that I love Koyori so much? sheā€™s so cute to say around.

Check out the second season The first four episodes has a darker storyline and a new set of characters which are way more interesting than first seasonā€™s cast. Youā€™ll never regret it.

I guess thatā€™s why I liked Yuri on Ice haha I really like how it develops characters through their performances + the relationships between the characters are less about rivalry and drama-- though thereā€™s a bit of that, itā€™s light, non-toxic and uplifting. Every episode just makes me smile.

I have not watched Haikyuu so I canā€™t really say how the other did a much better job than the other. In general, I donā€™t watch much sports anime but the way YOI presents ice skating feels less like a sport and more of an art.

Oh so are you saying that you can watch second season without watching first?

I think you still have to watch the first season. I havenā€™t seen the second but as far as I know it more focus on one of the characters (I think Dazai is the main focus from what I can tell most of the manga readers tweeting and such).

I expected more people would be watching Three Gatsu no Lion. The game they are playing isnā€™t very exciting; but the rest is very heartwarming so Iā€™m really scared of that lion that comes in March.

Usually I avoid sport anime though this seaoson Iā€™m watching 4 for some reason (one of them isnā€™t really about sports though), and most of them are quite good at what they are supposed to be. Also quite some cheap Chinese rip-offs this season.

Pretty much the only show Iā€™m still watching this season is ā€œwww.Workingā€.
And Iā€™m not sure even why am I continuing to tolerate it.
There are some not so bad jokes inside, but mostly it feels cheap.
I think, Iā€™ll watch ā€œ3gatsu no Lionā€ past 3rd ep at some time, and ā€œFlip Flappersā€ as well. The 1st episode of the latter was veryā€¦ lively? Iā€™ve quite liked it.
Also interested in ā€œFune wo Amuā€ but didnā€™t yet try it. Hope, it wonā€™t betray my expectations.
ā€œGirlish Numberā€ put on-hold indefinitelyā€¦ Probably will watch near New-Year, but it doesnā€™t really catch me.
There is also ā€œHibike Euphonium 2ā€ andā€¦ and thats it, I guess.

From what Iā€™ve seen from winter 2017, the following shows are worth watching:

Akibaā€™s Trip (came in expecting nothing, but it was surprisingly fun)
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon (itā€™s not as comedy-heavy as I thought it would be, thankfully. Besides being really heartwarming, it also has interesting foreshadowing and thereā€™s a lot to explore about the dragons)
ACCA (cool backgrounds, cool soundtrack, pretty stylish)
Kuzu no Honkai (the strongest so far imo.)

Some others Iā€™ve tried:
Minakama (Art is atrocious with plenty of horrible CGI and the blandest character designs possible. Animation is meh. Nothing really worth here.)
elDLIVE (Itā€™s justā€¦ Boring)
Schoolgirl Strikers (not terrible, but the concept is generic and I have interest in neither the plot nor the characters)
Idol Jihen (again, not terrible, but I highly doubt this will have the level of character development and chemistry LL! has been able to pull out.)
Onihei (Monster of the week. Meh.)
Hand Shakers (I donā€™t think I need to explainā€¦)

Well, this winter season Iā€™m watching quite a lot of shows so far.

Seiren (I heard this was similar to Amagami. But it looks all right. Still not sure how the story will go from here.)
Fuuka (The story seems pretty interesting so I thought I give it a try.)
KonoSuba S2 ( Iā€™ve been looking forward to this season since S1. Hilarious as ever!)
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon (Itā€™s very heartwarming and itā€™s enjoyable to watch.)
Gabriel Dropout (So far, another interesting series. Have to see where this is going.)
Nyanko Days (obviously, cute kitties are always adorable! :smile:)
Urara Meirochou (I thought I try watching this as well.)

I usually donā€™t pick this many series in a season but generally 2-3 shows at least for me.

Youjo Senki. Thereā€™s something pleasing about seeing a 3ft girl blow-up human beings into dust.

How and where do you get to see so much anime? Here in the UK as far as I am aware there is none shown at all either on free terrestrial or pay to watch TV.

I hope to see ā€œYour Nameā€ / Kimi no Na wa at some time but Iā€™ll probably have to order the DVD when it comes out.

Well, there are few ways to watch anime on the webā€¦
As far as legal ones go you can check daisuki.net and crunchyroll.
Iirc, they do stream anime in the UKā€¦ I may be wrong, though.

So, this season I am back to actionā€¦ or rather procrastination and started a few shows of this season and picked up back some of the previous season shows.
So, my very short thoughts:
Youjo Senki ā€“ does look like your another ā€œhello, I was a salaryman, but then Iā€™ve reborned into a cute girl & started my army carreer. And I am bad. Very very bad. Like, the baddest. Look at meā€. Not really bad as a showā€¦ but nothing spectacular.
Urara Meirochou ā€“ Yet another anime adaptation of Kiraraā€™s slice of life manga about cute girls doing cute things. I have nothing against and probably will watch till the very end, but nothing really new in this one so farā€¦
Onihei ā€“ watched only 1 ep and was like, ohā€¦ Jidai-geki anime? No, thank you. Not bad, but definetely not my cup of a tea.
Minami Kamakura smth ā€“ dropped at the opening. 3D was so bad, almost at the level of Handshakersā€¦ Oh, right. Those Iā€™ve dropped on the screens alone.
Masamune-kun no Revenge ā€“ I have been wondering why did I like this manga back in the day, but anime ainā€™t really bad. Nothing new (again). Well, protag ainā€™t all that bad. Probably will continue on watching.
Kuzu no Honkai ā€“ O-oh~ The Show Iā€™ve been waiting for in this season, and The Show Iā€™ve dropped halfway through 1st ep. No matter how much ā€œTrashā€ you put into the title it still doesnā€™t make any of the characters belieavable or interesting. Nope, I am not buying thisā€¦ ā€œromanceā€ and this degradation.
KonoSuba 2 ā€“ Charades seems a bit different from the 1st seasonā€¦ and probably closer to original novels. Also, as Iā€™ve read novels by now, jokes arenā€™t really all that fun to watch. Also, 2nd ep was plagued by high amounts of misplaced fanserviceā€¦ Boring fanservice. I will watch it till the end, but meh. They shouldnā€™t have made such a pause between seasons.
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon ā€“ Oh. I loved this manga. And I loved this show. God, this was satisfying.
Gabriel DropOut ā€“ I didnā€™t plan to even try this one, butā€¦ well. Iā€™ve tried it and loved it. Slice of life, cgdct, moe, whateverā€¦ Somehow it felt really good. Jokes arenā€™t always on the spot, but some of them are really good. Also, a lot of useless fanserviceā€¦ sigh.
Fuuka ā€“ Iā€™ve dropped manga. I will probably drop anime as well. KimiMachi & Suzuka are really better than thisā€¦ on so many layers. Feels like Seo Kouji didnā€™t even know what to do with his characters here. Their actions are mess, their reasons are messā€¦ They should have animated ā€œHALF&HALFā€ instead.
Akibaā€™s Trip ā€“ I also didnā€™t plan to download it and show is fairly badā€¦ but amusingly bad. I wonder at which I will actually drop it.
3-gatsu no Lion (from the Autumn season) ā€“ Oh God, I love this. This is just plain amazing. I love music, I love chara desing, I love plot, I love everything about this show.

1 Like

From the watching for my end and I will be a bit lazy to explain:

Demi-chan wa Kataritai - I enjoyed it a lot more than I should to be honest. Fun Characters, Pretty relatable as well, the story isnā€™t anything unique a lot but it has some pretty interesting aspects regarding on the monsters. Pretty much my AOTS without the sequels.

Fuuka - Seen only 2 episodes and Iā€™m pretty much deciding to drop this. The reason why itā€™s because I donā€™t find it shit, but its pretty damn average and itā€™s not even fun average either.

Gabriel DropOut - Read a decent amount of chapters from the manga and so far the adaptation has been great, in fact funnier compared to the manga counterpart. They did some switches but I think it worked better compared to it.

Gintama (2017) - DO I NEED TO SAY IT RIGHT NOW? Itā€™s my AOTS for like shit ton of timesā€¦ I donā€™t have to explain but, basically I just love this series to much, hence itā€™s like my favorite series ever. Well, call me pure fangirlism xD

Hand Shakers - Itā€™s bad, but itā€™s not as abysmal as people are sayingā€¦ Just the execution is completely shit and the art blending is pretty eye soaring, GoHands please. Might probably drop it but ya know. Not really terrible but its just-- yeah. I felt like it was a mess in a way but Iā€™ve seen bigger messes.

Kobayashi-san - Moe + Slice of Life series, no words to explain, as I said I like those two so it works well. xD Toru is love.

KonoSuba - Pretty funny as usual, tho I liked how everyone got butthurt over S2 doing a change in the artwork, I still found it funny regardless for how it worked to be fair.

Little Witch Academia - I love the movie so I did liked the TV series as well. A step down a bit with the art but it was consistent throughout, so no worries over there.

Masamune-kun no Revenge - Iā€™ve read a few decent amount of chapters of the manga so the anime was doing fine with my end, funny, enjoyable, at least better than I have initially thought when it came to the adaptation, some slight changes but it doesnā€™t affect the overall story.

Nyanko Days - I watch this before Gintama and the others are release, okay? Plus, CATS, CAT GIRLS, AND CHIBIS!

Pokemon Sun and Moonā€™s Anime - Yes thatā€™s like the only leftover Iā€™m going through for the moment being, I will try to continue with the others but for now, no.

Rewrite 2ns Season - To keep it brief since Iā€™ve said it on another forum:

Better than I have initially thought, and the episode did wrecked me in the sense with the final scene (wonā€™t spoil butā€¦ ya know, MY BABY KOTAROU MUST PROTECT xD)

Urara Meirochou - Cute SoL from a Kirakira Manga, and I like Chiya since she seems pretty stupid but I love that.

For the shows I might consider picking up honestly:

• Kuzu no Honkai (this all depends on the level of stuff I can handle, I heard it was prettyā€¦ umā€¦ Idkā€¦ I will probably pick it up but not sure, depends)
  • Youjo Senki (I wanna ask from anyone here if its actually worth since I asked few people from another groupā€¦ the amount of arguments were too much so I will probably see later if its worth or not)
  • Onihei (well I wanted to pick this up but the PV didnā€™t sold me. I love Historical stuff, but at the same time it didnā€™t sold me)
  • Chain Chronicle (I need some action shows since I have majority of the stuff on my lineup being either drama or SoL)

Anime Iā€™m currently on watching
Gabriel Dropout- I love this show. Comedy is pretty amusing and as a Tenshi fan something about a white haired angel voiced by Hanazawa Kana makes me really happy.
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon- I like the MC. Iā€™ve only watched the first episode so far but I enjoyed it.
KonoSuba Season 2- EXPLOSION
Little Witch Academia- I loved the movies so I was super excited for the anime series to come out. I am slightly disappointed that they changed the magic chants. ie. In the movie the chant for Shiny Arc was Makmur Mikmur Mektoral. Now itā€™s Noctu Orfei Aude Fraetor which kind of bothers me.
Masamun-kun no Revenge- RomCom anime and the heroineā€™s face expressions amuses me greatly
Rewrite Season 2- Yup
Urara Meirochou- Iā€™m a sucker for moe blobs and I love it
Youjo Senki- I was on the edge of dropping it from the first episode but I think after watching the second episode it got a lot more interesting.

Anime Iā€™m planning on watching when I get around to it
BanG Dream
Demi-chan wa Kataritai
Hand Shakers
Kuzu no Honkai
One Room
Seiren

Alright well, I still have stuff to catch up on from last season but thus far Iā€™ve started 3 shows:

Kobayashi-san: This one has been really great so far. Iā€™m digging it a lot, it looks great, its pretty funny. Not anything to complain about and so far pretty good contender for AOTS.

Urara Meirochou: A little bit too high energy for me, but still fairly enjoyable. Nothing special, but not too bad.

Kuzu no Honkai: Well, Iā€™ve had a lot of people tell me Kuzu no Honkai would be my kind of thing, and just from the synopsis alone I pretty much established it as something I would definitely watch. It seems interesting so far, and I actually rather like the lead girl (also her hair is super pretty in the anime wew), but it seems like it could easily just become a blender of overly convenient misfortune. So far so good IMO, except for princess girl being outlandishly annoying.

Currently watching Seiren, Fuuka, Chaos;Child, Masamune-kun no Revenge, BanG Dream, Kuzu no Honkai, and One Room.

Iā€™m loving Seiren, Fuuka, and Chaos;Child so far. Masamune-kun is entertaining. Iā€™m havenā€™t been able to start BanG Dream but I will get to it. Kuzu no Honkai seems depressing to me, but Iā€™m liking the execution. One Room isā€¦ interestingā€¦

Finally a season with shows that look worth watching! Been like a year since I really posted in this topic.

ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka
Episodes Watched: 6

This show has style beyond belief, but there isnā€™t much substance. Letā€™s start with the style. Groovy beats. Distinct character designs. Garbage tier animation. Those are the three ingredients of ACCA. As for the substance, bad exposition and some okay detective work. It isnā€™t exactly Log Horizon, but it manages to be fun. That doesnā€™t sound like a raving review, but honestly, I find it very easy to overlook the animation woes, and once I get a glimpse of the mystery underneath ACCA it is hard to let go, so the show does a good job of keeping me watching.

CHAIN CHRONICLE: Haecceitas no Hikari
Episodes Watched: 3

Animation stands out as the greatest aspect of the show, looking similar to the modern Arslan at times, specifically in battles. Music is pretty standard late-80ā€™s going into 90ā€™s JRPG stuff, as is the story. Itā€™s kinda sad to say that a lot of modern shows could fit naturally into the 90ā€™s if given an animation style change. The scene hasnā€™t grown much in some regards, and this is one of the more obvious cases.
Ah well, if you want something to replace your Aslan or Yona cravings, or you are super into Fire Emblem Heroes, this MIGHT be for you? Iā€™m probably gonna sit out though.

Chaos;Child

There are few shows that encapture me in such a way, where I no longer see it as a product that was created and start seeing it as a story unfolding before my eyes. Nevertheless I did notice things that the show has messed up with. Something the show really lacks is a feeling of suspense. They managed to capture it briefly with a nice first person view, but it didnā€™t stay around for long, and with just the normal anime appearance there isnā€™t much visually to make a viewer uncomfortable. Also the show is a bit too obvious when it comes to foreshadowing, and that kinda ruins the suspense. I noticed it heavily in the third and forth episode, but the over-teasing of information is spread throughout. Single-frame flashback teases linger too long, certain actions and appearances are made incredibly apparent. A lot of it looks like nods to VN readers, but I kinda feel like I already have the story tied togetherā€¦ Didnā€™t get that with Chaos;Head or Steins;Gate.
Oh and my god the OP song is catchy but the visuals are so damn spoilery. Why does this always happen? Also Crunchyrollā€™s subs for this suck. Why does THIS always happen?

Demi-chan wa Kataritai
Episodes Watched: 7

Half of Demi-chan wa Kataritai is basically a CGDCT show with monster girls with some subtle anti-discrimination morals attached. I know that both the Cute Girls fans and the Monster Girls fans are very dedicated to watching shows of said genres, so I imagine this show has a very obvious audience that it wants to capture.
The second half isā€¦ educational? About monster girlsā€¦ Fictional education, if thatā€™s a thing. This mix means it is a weird show for me to comment on, as I donā€™t like CGDCT shows very often, however monster girl shows usually end up being interesting simply for the way they adapt and subvert classic mythological tales. Also this show has a vampire, and as I hail from the land of Dracula, Iā€™m partial to vampires.
Outside of the interesting insight into monster girls, and some feelgood from the cuteness, I donā€™t have many thoughts on the show. Thereā€™s some nice expressions, and the characters are all very charming, but it isnā€™t New Game level of good, and it isnā€™t bad in any regard, so it is justā€¦ fun. The show does have some depth in regards to life as a human, life as a demi, and the distinctions and similarities between, as well as the effect it has on other people, and that is probably the greatest aspect of the show. That enough should make it a standout in the CGDCT genre.
Oh, and has anyone else ever wondered how Dullahan are born? Does the head come out separate, or do they disconnect after birth, orā€¦ what exactly happens there?

Kuzu no Honkai

Essentially a Tomoko Oshima MV. Each episode begins with one of the cast telling a story of what made them so damn messed up.
Kuzu no Honkai has a distinct visual style that Iā€™d liken to an animated manga more than a conventional anime. The show rarely settles on an individual screen, employing multiple frames to show a scene, similar to what the recent Gate anime did (though much better.) When it isnā€™t using multiple frames however, it settles on a weirdly sized box to fit the screen in, because a normal full-screen or wide-screen presentation is too cool for this show. It does create a slight claustrophobic atmosphere, but I feel there are better ways to do that. Speaking of atmosphere, Kuzu no Honkai never really figures one out. A dark atmosphere will randomly cut to a chibi scene, and then go straight back to something not-so-pleasant. I know that shows donā€™t have to keep a consistent feel, or give a feeling of resolution to each scene, and some anime manage to do that well. Kuzu no Honkai however just ends up feeling wishy-washy and it always misses the mark. It has some nice scenes, but it doesnā€™t piece together all that well. Half the time Iā€™m really interested, but I spend a lot of the time just bored and waiting for the episode to end so I can hear that ED (havenā€™t heard Sayuri since ERASED!)
I have to give some praise specifically to the third episode though. If the rest of the series is like the third episode, I will probably enjoy it a lot.

Masamune-kun no Revenge
Episodes Watched: 7

Knockoff Erina and Kiritoā€™s head put on Promptoā€™s body star in a romance anime!.
This show is serious garbage. Itā€™s hard to not go on a rant and just list all the negatives, but letā€™s just say this show was unfortunate to air during the same season as Seiren and Kuzu no Honkai.
For some positives, the music guys went to town, Tae is cute, and Hayami Saori is in the show.

Seiren
Episodes Watched: 4

Seiren is a romance show using an omnibus format, like Amagami, but not awful.
Seiren is all about the romance. Entirely. Visually it isnā€™t impressive and there are some strange decisions made at times, such as scenes where background characters are frozen mid-action. Clearly someone in charge couldnā€™t decide between pure scenery or overlaying action for the backgrounds. The music is what youā€™d expect from any kind of dating sim, which isnā€™t to say itā€™s unpleasant, but it is generally just white noise outside of a few key scenes.
What I loved, no, adored about Seiren was the romance. I love when a show gets a MC I find creepy or annoying, and a girl who I donā€™t care for in any way, and make me fall for them both. Seiren did that perfectly in 4 episodes, and most importantly it felt natural. The MC was a person, who jumped from comical to bashful to a normal quiet at the correct times. The heroine of the 4 episodes also felt very natural. She swore casually, wasnā€™t the typical idol or anti-idol that girls tend to be portrayed as in anime, and had a personality that was less a common trope and more defining traits like a real person would have. You know when describing someone is hard and not much comes to mind outside of basic things, but you know how that person would talk and react to things? Thatā€™s what I get here. Heck, this anime had a scene that included a shot of those marks you get when you wear trousers that are too tight around the waist. When do you see blemishes or bruises in anime like that?
I know a lot of my love for this show is coming from someone with a history experiencing such things and having expectations betrayed in good ways, but I can tell that, unlike some of my favorite shows, Seiren would be a good anime to show someone who had never seen a romance. MAAAAAN IT IS GOOD TO HAVE SOME NICE ROMANCE ANIME AGAIN.
Also the next 4 episodes appear to be about that girl with the messy hair, and I am all aboard for that. Choo choooo~

Youjo Senki

Thereā€™s some nice animation, some good battles, a damn amazing protagonist, but most importantlyā€¦ This is The Great War. The war where no one knew how to fight. The war where thousands upon thousands died for no reason. And in that war is a man who has lived in our modern times, who has been granted ridiculously strong powers, and pitted against the entire world by God. This is similar to a related show named Overlord (which Iā€™ve covered previously) but so much better. This is a strategy game player finding out the enemy team is low level ai. This is being 2 eras ahead in Civ, or capital diving in HOI, or only using one unit in Fire Emblem. Of course it wonā€™t last that way. People will catch on as the show progresses I assume (or weā€™ll reach the non-ending of the show) but the evolution of war will be fun to witness.
ALSO LOOK HOW AMAZING THE LIGHT NOVEL COVERS ARE!

Iā€™m also watching Konosuba 2, Fuuka, Piace, Handshakers, Maidragon, LWA, SPIRITPACT, and elDLIVE. Half of them are pretty awful, a few are just fun with little substance, and a couple are sequels.

2 Likes

Does anyone here watch the Tales of Zestiria anime? If so, could you please give me your honest opinion on it? Also mention whether youā€™ve played the game or not.

You see, I love the game and the anime is giving me some complicacated thoughts that I might need some help sorting out.

Iā€™m also not really sure what they are doing. The first season was pretty decent, they followed the games story for the most part. But season 2 has so many changes, expecially in the later half. And not just some small changes but really important ones. It looks like they want to cut out all the drama and interesting parts.

(Game and anime spoiler)

Alisha still being soreyā€™s squire. Dezels grudge against symonne seems to be gone or their past never happened in the first place. They are able to purify dragons nowā€¦ And even fight hundreds of them at once. If this continues it wouldnā€™t surprise me if they easily defeat the lord of calamity and purify maotelus. Probably even without sorey falling into his sleep.

The game story is not that great to begin with and they are cutting out the few good parts. But I think the best thing about tales of zestiria are the characters anyway and not the story. At least the anime looks great and (late anime spoiler) we get to see them all fighting together and even Alisha armaterize!

Jesus.
3gatsu no Lion was great.
I am not familiar with original manga, but I loved this anime so much, that I might go and read it now.
Canā€™t wait for the 2nd season this Autumn.
Characters felt alive, music was exceptional, colors, direction, compositionā€¦ Just wow.

2 Likes