Currently Airing Anime

Also, I have to say, the second season of Nisekoi was so much better than the first season.

I guess all the characters were more fun and enjoyable when there really wasnt any of that annoying thing called plot XD

I guess I’ll probably read the manga at some point, probably when I get around to reading any manga at all…

You should, the manga is a lot better than the anime imo (did enjoy both seasons though)^^

Really? I didn’t like the second season of Nisekoi. I didn’t like how that Magical girl spin-off got half an episode and wasn’t even connected or how they adapted chapters out of order. They even did 51-106 which was too much for 12 episodes. I guess these are all complaints from a manga reader though.

1 Like

I didn’t really like second season… though I didn’t really like Nisekoi’s adaptation in the first place. It didn’t need that Akiyuki Shinbou flare, and I feel like it would have been better off a straight adaptation by another company T-T

Anyways, this season my favorite thing is probably Kekkai Sensen. This kind of anime is right down my alley! Intriguing world, interesting characters and just a killer feel in general~

Hibike Euphonium’s finale was one hell of a pay off. An absolutely stellar show. The best show from Kyo Ani since Hyouka. It’s queer baiting was a bit blegh, but on every other level that show was a masterpiece of subtlety.

OK! Time to start the summer season! I’ve watched the first epiosde of all of the anime below. At the time of this post, Gakkou Gurashi, Kangoku Gakkuen, and God Eater havent aired yet, but Im planning on also watching those, as well as Gangsta.

Ushio to Tora: a manga and anime originally from the '90s, readapted by Studio Mappa. The relationship between Ushio and Tora is great. This is gonna be fun.

Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai: A boring world where the concept of dirty jokes don’t exist, huh… I actually thought that this would be one of the funnier anime this season, but comparatively I found it kinda dull. Im sure it’ll still be fun though.

Aoharu x Kikanjuu: I have a habit of going into most series almost completely blind, choosing what I will watch each season based almost solely on the cover image, title, and animation studio, maybe the first line of the description if Im unsure. Apparently I didnt even really look at the cover art closely for this one, because when the opening played, I was pretty surprised. I had no idea this was going to be about guns…

Joukamachi no Dandelion: Maybe you see a reoccurring theme but this show also strikes me as “fun”. Nine siblings of royalty with superpowers? What? From the next episode preview, it seems like it might focus on one of the siblings each episode, which is honestly all I could want from a series like this.

Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Sen’eki: While you might hear everyone one twitter screaming about how shit this show is, I don’t agree with them. Seems to me like 1) Its a concept that is kinda cool, but is being done a lot recently, and thus is predictable, and 2) It just doesnt nail the execution like similar shows have and instead comes off as almost kinda silly. That said, it still has good animation and music, and I will still be watching.

Arslan Senki: Since no one seemed to be talking about it last season, I guess I’ll bring it up now. Basically, powerful and cruel king loses a battle and the enemy country comes in to take the thrown. Prince is separated during said battle, and gathers a group a five badasses to protect him and help him retake the thrown and establish a new, more fair kingdom. Oh and did I mention the OP? Best OP of spring season: (Sorry to everyone who cant watch this because Funimation are jerks…)

Denpa Kyoushi: While Im talking about anime continuing from last season, this one… I have no idea why I like it so much. I guess its kinda reminiscent of GTO, except instead of the teacher being a perverted badass, he’s a genius otaku. After being forced against his will to go teach at a high school, he goes around teaching kids important life lessons while just generally doing whatever the hell he wants.

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime: Literally, the red-haired snow white… but besides a bunch of poking fun at poison apples and dwarves, it has absolutely nothing to do with the story of snow white… oh well, it still seems pretty enjoyable, even though I have no idea where the show is gonna go after the first episode…

Classroom Crisis: Another example of me being pleasantly surprised by knowing nothing about this going in. Having a pretty small class allows that we may or may not get to know each of the students pretty well, so that might be interesting to see. What Im really interested in is the potential world problems presented in the first episode, like how there seems to be a huge gap between the wealthy and poor, and how one company controls the whole city.

Rokka no Yuusha: Im pretty sure I’ve said this a couple times before, but my favorite protagonists are the arrogant, OP, badass ones (e.g. Lelouch, Sora, etc.). The guys who are always one step ahead of everyone else, and then laugh at you when you realize it. Yuu from Charlotte has these kind of characteristic, only he ends up being beat up and controlled by a bunch of other OP power users. Anyways, thats basically this protag.

More importantly, WTF this is by Passione!? You mean the same Passione that did Rail Wars!? THERE IS NO WAY, THE ANIMATION IS TOO GOOD! (But its true.)

Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri: What makes this show so great is that it takes a really interesting concept; makes shit real, like people actually die, and the humans arent stupid and actually fight back effective; and actually has good execution (at least for the first episode), which is kinda rare with great concepts. And to top it all off, the protagonist isnt some Gary Stu. Im very looking forward to this one.

Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace: Psychological murder mystery. Protag, who appears at first to be a boring trap but actually seems to be one of those “Im really smart and am bored by my normal life”, may or may not have murdered his teacher, and he and the leading detective turn the investigation into a game. The mood and characters seem a bit reminiscent of Gekkou, if any of you have read that LN.

OverLord: My first thought when I started this was that it was gonna be about the villain in an MMORPG instead of the hero. Im not sure if thats actually what its about, but its still pretty awesome. Its still one of those, “Im trapped in MMORPG land”, but it seems like its taking a unique spin on it, whatever it is.

This season has actually really surprised me, and Im super excited. Usually not very many good anime start airing in the summer season. Now I just have to decide which ones I will watch while airing, and which I will save til they finish.

I’ve watched the first episode of Non Non Biyori Repeat and I was totally confused until the end of the episode, then I realized it was a prequel to the last season. A lot of fans are saying this season is just filling the gaps of the last one.

But this means they left A LOT of content from the manga uncovered, just to achieve a faster pace. This doesn’t make any sense, because the manga still keeps on… And they could just made it slower with all the content added.

I was .-. It’s certainly not as good as The Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but it’s just as quick to wear you out.

Baby! Dream!
It’s the best song UVERworld have released in quite a while. I’m going to see the singer of the ED live soon too.

I started it, but unfortunately I had to drop some shows to get my review out before Summer progressed too far. Denpa got dropped.
It’s very reminiscent of mid-2000’s anime. Probably the animation style or something.

Did we see the same episode? There were crowds of people just ignoring flying dragons. The main protagonist didn’t even do anything apart from ask some simple questions, and he was titled a hero for it.
It looks fun, but it doesn’t look “real” at all. It’s a cute stereotypical anime fantasy-war story, with a small twist that keeps the real world somewhat present.

I meant 1) as opposed to all the monsters coming in and not attacking the human. Like, they were clearly there to attack everyone, and so they did; and 2) as opposed to “Oh no! Our guns dont work on these people from another world who are clearly superior to us”, or " Well, now that these people have attacked us, we should wait in fear for their next move!"
It obviously didn’t feel actually “real”, but they didnt like, need some magical girl to come in and save them.

[quote=“Takafumi, post:249, topic:28”]
The main protagonist didn’t even do anything apart from ask some simple questions
[/quote]No, he saved a few people personally, and he, as a soldier, told the stupid police officers what to do. Because everyone knows mere police officers are all stupid.

[quote=“Takafumi, post:249, topic:28”]
stereotypical anime fantasy-war story
[/quote] Thats actually probably what it will turn out to be, but from just the first episode alone, I disagree.

Yeah, I wouldn’t try to call what an anime is by one episode alone…

I dont think either of us are? I at least was just giving my first impression, and even more so mainly just explaining what I was watching.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to say it in a rude way.

Not sure if anyone here is watching School-Live but the first episode made me cry (and I’m pretty sure that’s the first time ever). I want to know (I doubt it) if anyone went into it like me Hearing someone call it “Moe Zombie Apocalypse” and seeing it compared to K-On! then broke down at the reveal at the end. I’m probably the only one but kind of curious.

My current to-watch list (still waiting around on some of them before watching first episode)

• Charlotte: Do I even have to explain myself? :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Classroom Crisis: Wasn’t so interested in the main plot point (sure, high school in space, etc etc), but was interested when I learned it’s written by Maruto Fumiaki. After first episode, what is probably gonna keep me going is the internal conflict which is gonna happen :wink: I quite liked the twist at the end and am excited to see more on this
  • Ore Monogatari: First cour was amazing, and it’s starting to get a bit more deep from here on, so I’m excited for that!
  • Ranpo Kitan: I usually don’t pick up mystery anime, but this sort of interests me, for unexplainable reasons. Maybe because the source is really old, or maybe because it’s noitaminA, but yeah, plan to watch this.
  • Akagami no Shirayuki-hime: Since I am not reaching my romance quota for this season, might as well add in another one. Though my friends have said that it isn’t looking as good as akatsuki no yona or soredemo sekai wa utsukushii yet, I just hope it can satisfy my inner romance nut :stuck_out_tongue:
1 Like

I haven’t watched the episode yet, but I’ve been a fan of the manga for a good year or so. I’ve heard they’re both written much differently but reading the manga will potentially spoil some things that may happen still.

I’m guessing it’s going to be the same as it seems like the major setting up plot point but I’m talking about when Miki comes into the class after Yuki went to get her backpack and Yuki was talking to her classmates when it suddenly switched to Miki’s view and the room was completely destroyed with desks everywhere and blood. I just ended up feeling so bad for Yuki who I’m guessing suffers from schizophrenia and doesn’t seem to understand there’s even a zombie apocalypse.

Gate anime episode 2 was explosive as expected, and this pretty much http://i.imgur.com/8B0SC5p.png

I’m watching Charlotte, ore monogatari, durararax2 ten, shokugeki no souma, non non biyori repeat, and best of all, gansta, which so far is my favorite of the new season, I really like dark gritty shows so I’m hoping the rest will turn out to be as good as the beginning.

I carried my experiment over into this season and went into a lot of these shows without reading synopses on them which means I’m basically blind grab bagging a lot of these but so far I’ve watched
-Aoharu x Kikanju (probably won’t last not a big airsoft fan)
-Akagami no Shirayuki-hime (Wondering how closely tied into the snow white story this will be)
-Aquarion Logos (I love Aquarion and that OVA tacked on to the front of the first episode was pure fan service and I ate every minute of it.)
-Chaos Dragon (The urobutcher is strong here)
-Charlotte (A given really)
-Classroom Crisis (Had no idea what this was going into it, but I’m intrigued enough to stick with it)
-Dragon Ball Super (Childhood nostalgia demands it)
-Durarara X2 (Its Durarara)
-Gakkou Gurashi (LOVED the presentation of the first episode run the risk of turning some people off with the cutesy laid back atmosphere, but it set up the end reveal nicely)
-Gangsta (Feels very much like a more mature Get Backers which isn’t a knock in my book, first couple of episodes are promising)
-GATE (Interesting premise the whole MC is supper otaku neet hiki ect. turned super soldier is a little jarring though)
-Jitsu wa Watashi wa (Had stumbled upon this manga a while back by chance, didn’t realize it until I watched the first episode)
-Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan (Not sure how to feel about this one yet first episode didn’t do much other than world building and setting intrigue for the MC)
-Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou (Yeah no clue)
-Overlord (Really…another trapped in virtual reality show? I’ll give this one a couple of episodes because it could be interesting if he is the BBEG of the world)
-Prison School (Not overly impressed with the first episode)
-Ranpo Kitan (I’m a sucker for mystery shows to begin with, really liked the style of the characters all being featureless until the MC took interest in them)
-Rokka no Yuusha (Like the main character so far gonna see where it goes)
-Shimoneta (Juvenile humor abounds but it made me laugh so good job)

Carry overs
-Arslan Senki (Reminds me of Fire Emblem and that OP tho)
-Denpa Kyoushi (Reminds me of KamiNoumi animation style feels weird though)
-Kekkai Sensen (Last episode when?)
-Shokugeki no Soma (I love to cook so this show is fun for me with them explaining the recipes I really want to try making some of them)

Haven’t got around to starting yet
-Joukamachi no Dandelion
-Himouto! Umaru-chan
-Ore Monogatari
-Ushio to Tora

Thought the same thing about prison school, it just looks painfully uninspired, it has an atmosphere vaguely similar to gantz which I love but I think I’ll pass it up.