Community Event Idea Topic

What is this 100% orange juice event anyway? I’m curious. And quite enthusiastic. :3

EDIT: Oh, it’s a Steam game. Crap. :frowning:

WHOOOOOOO…Bonk bonk.

4 Likes

Me and @Iotheria just got Orange Juice not too long ago so I would be up for a communal Orangy Juicy event don’t have anyone’s steam though so someone would have to add me.

You don’t need to add anyone on steam. The game has a list of currently running sessions, and some need a password to join. Kazamatsuri sessions have a password that will be shared out amongst the community so that people can dip in and out… I imagine~

Good point I had forgot how the lobbies worked since most of the time its just us three and we are normally in vent together yelling Batoru at each other.

2 Likes

Yes, and? Putting a date and time on a routine activity doesn’t assign it any more value. That’s what I was going for; if people are going to meet up and play games together anyways, what’s the point of scheduling a specific time and place to do it?

The point is that it encourages people who might not normally want to play, or people who usually miss group calls to participate in a game. Even though people are playing games often, events garner a bigger turnout. Not to mention they have a certain atmosphere about them that makes 'em more fun.

5 Likes

Records of the number of people who showed up to each event say otherwise. The main thing that brings more people to the event is Osu, since that always has the biggest turnout. As for bringing in other people who wouldn’t normally join, you get basically the same effect if you start a thread about a specific game you play and invite the people that reply to join you sometime. People are much more likely to accept a directly personal invite to play rather than the polite request of a scheduled event.

A scheduled event is nice. As someone who has never been in one of these events, if it’s scheduled I am more interested. I can be aware that it’s going to happen. If there’s a random call and people say “let’s play blahblahblah” I close skype because it’s a hassle.
This is coming from someone who is already in the Skype chat of course. There are lots of people who haven’t joined because there’s no real reason to. These events are a reason.

What’s wrong with scheduling?

2 Likes

Except they’re really not. People are busy, and can have things they’d rather do. Scheduling events not only allows people to set aside time in advance to play a game, but it also makes it easier to build interest. I can assure you, there are more people willing to play a 100% Orange Juice event than there are people who’d just do it on a whim. Organized events aren’t just fun, but they make Kaza look more appealing and bring the community closer together.

Also, if you don’t mind me asking, have you participated in any of these community events? The only true event (sorry Taka) that’s taken place since you’ve joined is the Osu event, so I don’t think it’s really fair to talk about the turnout of past events. Not to mention, Kaza is rapidly growing, so more and more people will be participating in events. Especially when you compare how many active users there were during the Osu event versus the previous large event, which was back in September.

There’s a reason why many communities do these sorts of events, you know.

4 Likes

wow, the sudden spike of activity. I’m honestly surprised this thread wasn’t deleted or something by now, considering that it hasn’t really seen activity since the website was still in beta. Unfortunately, it seems that most of the activity is an argument, but I’ll see what I can do to clear it up before I say anything else.

[quote=“MalignantSeraph, post:18, topic:69”]
As it stands, the book club looks to be doing exactly what a formal community event would try to accomplish.
[/quote]from a purely functionalist perspective, yes, this is completely right. Function, however, is not the only reason one of these events would be hosted.

[quote=“Takafumi, post:29, topic:69”]
There are lots of people who haven’t joined because there’s no real reason to.
[/quote]there’s also a lot of people recently who haven’t joined because you now need “member” status in order to get the link to the skype chat. Though, I’m sure @MalignantSeraph was trying to say that the book club and podcasts were already giving a lot of people reason to join the skype group, and adding more on top of that at the moment might cause destructive interference. Or at the very least, it would be an inefficient time to hold a separate event. just some food for thought.

[quote=“LinkThinks, post:30, topic:69”]
Except they’re really not.
[/quote]They actually are, but the wording does have to be played with a bit here. for example, if I were to post a thread about an event given a specific date and time, we’ll say it gets a certain number of participants. now what if I were to hold an event on the exact same date and time, but instead of starting a thread about it I sent a personal message to every single Kaza member who had posted within the last month; with each message being tailored to that specific user, inviting them to join in the event. Nothing has changed here except for the method in which they learned about the event, and I would guarantee(within a reasonable chance for error of course) that the latter method would have more participants every single time.

[quote=“LinkThinks, post:30, topic:69”]
Also, if you don’t mind me asking, have you participated in any of these community events? The only true event (sorry Taka) that’s taken place since you’ve joined is the Osu event, so I don’t think it’s really fair to talk about the turnout of past events.
[/quote]Ignoring the fact that this is a pretty aggressive question, and the fact that he’s actually right about the participation numbers, I’m pretty sure he said in the “introduce yourself” thread that he had been lurking here for a pretty long time before making an account. he might have even been here longer than you :slight_smile:

hopefully that clears up most of the arguing

now onto the arguably more important matters:

I said well before any of these events actually came into being that I would not host a community event on a game that was not free, and that statement still stands. Regardless of whether its cheap and/or we can gift copies to everyone who wants to play, the simple fact that it costs money is excluding some people, and I don’t want to do that with one of these events. That said, one idea might be to have an optional “Kazamatsuri.org game of the month” or something to that effect. There could still be scheduled play times in this scenario, but potential joiners would feel less obligated to go out and buy a game they otherwise might not play, and if they don’t they could just wait until the next month where it might be a game they would like more, or even one they already have. This is just a quick thought, but if it gets enough support I could work on it a little more and maybe it would become a thing(though as it stands, I think we might still be a bit too small here to have something consistent like this, and I don’t want to risk angering @Aspirety again by doing something too close to his book clubs.)

If people really want another event, I won’t say that it’s not up for discussion, but it would probably be something simple like Cards Against Humanity or Osu again. Maybe now that the thread has been bumped we can use it for what it was meant to be used for and get a bunch of ideas flowing again. “I want to play X with you guys” is welcome, but you could be a lot more helpful than that if you put some thought into it.

Community events give people who actually have to do other stuff a heads up so they can make sure they’ll actually be available and able to join in. I personally see OJ games going on all the time, but have not yet once gotten to join in on one because I’m busy. Sorry that I don’t just have infinite time to just do things whenever I want like some of you apparently do.

If you have the time to do that, be my guest. But theres a very good reason we just create one topic about it instead. And I think its pretty obvious thats not what he meant. If someone asked me, even at this very moment, to play a game, I would tell them I can’t because I have stuff to go get done right now. Theres a reason Aspi doesn’t just say "Hey guys, lets just go read a route of Air and discuss it RIGHT NOW. Sure, some people would be able to. But most wouldn’t, even if it was only gonna take an hour. Hell, most people wouldn’t even necessarily be at their computer.

In response to a pretty aggressive attack on community events, you might note.

EDIT: Sorry, that post sounded kinda angry. I’m not mad, just wanted to get my point across

2 Likes

It’s actually exactly what I meant. And it also assumes that you would start the thread and/or send out the invites on the same day, effectively making the amount of time to prepare a controlled variable.

[quote=“yerian98, post:32, topic:69”]
In response to a pretty aggressive attack on community events, you might note.
[/quote]i never meant to be very aggressive, but I did mean to generate more discussion and thought behind the topic. Consider it playing the Devil’s Advocate, if you will.

I have to apologize as well, my posts came across far more aggressive than I intended them to me. Wasn’t really my intent, so I’m certainly sorry if what I said came across rude (which it prolly did). Especially the part about join time, I couldn’t think of any good way to word that at all.

Anyways, even though I still have things I want to say I’ll drop this for now. Best to just talk to Aspi about these things rather than bicker among ourselves.

Considering that I was mostly arguing for sport, I didn’t take anything personally, so don’t let it worry you.

You’re also free to say whatever you wanted to say though; I don’t really have any plans to start another big argument for a while, so I doubt anything major will come from it.

I have to say that I don’t see it interfering with the bookclub at all. The intended outcome of the two are totally different.
Bookclub you go and watch on YT when you’ve got the time. Community Event you set aside time to join in the fun with everyone.

But more does change. The amount of time you invest changes by quite a bit. Some games have a limit on the amount of players available. If you invite 20 people, but only 4 can actually play, what will the other 16 do when they show up?
Saying that we’ll be playing a game throughout a specific day gives people time to prepare and to leisurely drop in and out. You don’t need to be formal about it, and you don’t need to focus so much on maximizing the potential players… Just say “hey, we’re doing this in a couple of days. If you want to join us and hang out then feel free to. It’ll be fun.”

We’re not running a company. This is a convenient way to gather people from across timezones and play some games with them. You all seem to be very serious about fun random little gatherings that most communities on the internet do ._.

6 Likes

^^^

I got kinda lost reading all this. o.o

The point of working out a schedule is for maximum availability and letting everyone know something is going on and to prepare for it if possible. Quite simple.

Let’s just uh, talk about Community Event ideas. Cool?

2 Likes

Hm. That actually seems viable!

My whole opinion on the activity matter is this: Even if the event fails to bring in new members, it at least gives the regulars a time to play with each other. Like, I’ve never played the game with @Takafumi, and that’s likely because of a schedule thing (he isn’t on when we start playing). Announcing it on skype, for instance, is extremely unreliable. I myself do not bother to read the backlog of skype chats.

Now, you could argue that you could simply just PM the regulars, but I don’t approve of that for two reasons. #1 is we genuinely want other people to join, so if they see it and like it, they can go ahead and join. #2 is that the regulars regularly check the forum anyways so if you just wanted to disseminate the information, posting it is just as effective. The regulars are close enough to the point that sending a personal PM won’t make them more likely to join (at least, I think)

Yeah, that is indeed an issue :frowning: I definitely do not want people to feel excluded simply because they can’t or won’t buy a game. In that case, perhaps making a topic might be better than creating a formal event for it.

I’m up for cards against humanity since I never really was able to join that one. Another suggestion I remember @Bizkitdoh mentioning was online Monopoly, and I believe there are a few places you can do that for free :slight_smile:

I wish there was a free Monopoly Deal online game, tho =3=

I’d be up for Cards or Monopoly~

[quote=“Bizkitdoh, post:37, topic:69”]
Let’s just uh, talk about Community Event ideas. Cool?
[/quote]I don’t mean to call you out or anything on this, but I’m not quite sure this kind of intervention was necessary. The argument was already coming to a close, and this basically puts a damper on any other conversation that might have come from it. (just because of this one line I ended up spending an extra 10-15 minutes in the rest of the post so as to make sure it was worded in a way that it will strictly bring the conversation in one of a set few directions, instead of leaving it more open ended like I usually do. I also ended up completely dropping replies to certain things that were said because it might expand the argument again.) Not a huge deal, but I guess it’s kind of a pet peeve of mine when people do things like this.

yes, it would. and in the situation in which I currently see the site, it would probably not be worth it. It’s really more of a thought experiment than anything else.

[quote=“Pepe, post:38, topic:69”]
Now, you could argue that you could simply just PM the regulars
[/quote]the aforementioned strategies do not actually have much of an effect on the forum regulars. In both instances, the regulars would end up attending at a similar rate. directly sending invites has a target audience that includes everyone below regulars and above strict lurkers; whereas making a thread is targeting mostly regulars and semi-regulars. Direct invites has a significantly larger target audience in most cases and thus would attract more people. there does, however, lie a sizable margin of error in situations with a lot of lurkers, in which case starting a thread would attract more people because it is actually visible to the lurker audience.

[quote=“Pepe, post:38, topic:69”]
online Monopoly, and I believe there are a few places you can do that for free :slight_smile:
[/quote]I’ll take a look around sometime. does anyone here actually know how to play Monopoly though? and I mean REAL Monopoly, not that board game you played when you were a kid. (Hint: if you don’t know what I mean by this, you almost definitely don’t know what real monopoly is)