CLANNAD - Kappei Hiiragi Route & Character Discussion

Discussion topic for Kappei’s route and character in CLANNAD. Please mark references to events outside of his route with [spoiler] tags, with adequate context provided in parenthesis. For discussion of Ryou’s character, refer to her Character Discussion Topic.

This topic also hosted CLANNAD Bookclub discussion from this post onward, and was referenced in our Kappei Route Podcast.

What would you rate this route?

0 voters

Man, I really like Kappei; he’s total bawler dude. He’s incredibly aloof but he lives life to it’s fullest. Because he’s come to terms with his condition and his choices regarding it, he has the air of a very wise person while at the same time behaving like a complete fool. Those two polarizing sides gives him a special charm.

Now here’s the crux of the story. Usually, living life to the fullest, I would say, is a good thing. And it still kinda is in this situation but Kappei is being an absolute idiot about the whole thing. Choosing to not take the surgery is akin to suicide only slower, and suicide is something I’m very much against because of the effects in has on the people close to you. So I really like how the route is about Tomoya and Ryou, figuratively, beating some sense into him. Like, don’t fucking kill yourself you glorious bastard! I guess that’s why that handshake is such a satisfying moment.

I’m a bit torn on Ryou’s actual methods for convincing Kappei though. The whole pregnancy lie is so cringe worthy and they drag it out too, but then in the end they turn it around with her saying all the stuff she wants them to experience. It’s such an emotional 180. The beginning makes me really awkward while the ending hits like a truck. I guess it’s supposed to be funny but it’s way off mark for me, and I liked a lot other comedic moments in the route. Well, it’s a bit awkward but still one damn enjoyable read.

Edit: I wonder if the reason Kappei just shrugs off getting hit by Kyou(at least twice) is because he’s on such heavy painkillers.

6 Likes

@HeliosAlpha Kappei was definetely more hardcore than my first impression of him. The getting hit by the bike scene makes more sense now that the reader knows Kappei has been taking pain killers.

Kyou route spoiler, should be read up to hear though: Kappei and Ryou make a good couple and I am wondering if the boyfriend of Ryou mentioned in Kyou’s route epilogue is Kappei as well. It could be that the “Red String of Fate” had made them meet eachother to follow their passion of helping people.

3 Likes

Maaaan I forgot how insanely short Kappei route was. Finished in 2 hours! But man that was a good one. For one, it was such a blast to read! The running gag with Sunohara having feelings for Kappei never got old, even at the ending. And Kappei is such a character. If there’s one word I can label him as, it’d be… headstrong. Definitely fun to see that sort of character in this game.

While this route was not without it’s flaws; like I felt the whole reading about Kappei in the magazine only to have Ryou show up minutes later was way too forced; it definitely hit my emotions real hard. As was the case with @HeliosAlpha, the way Ryou convinces him just tugs at my heartstrings way too strongly ;^; The way she talks about him and their future and how tomoya perfectly tops it off with his own experience. Guuuu…

All that being said, another short, and pretty good route. Somehow I can’t help feeling that all this was done to give Ryou some well-deserved justice after what happened in the Fujibayashi route, but this route really stands on its own as something to be remembered about clannad.

2 Likes

whoops i accidentally the entire route

Kappei’s Character

Kappei is WEIRD

Kappei’s Route

This route totally exists because Ryou was somebodies waifu and they wanted to give her an ending that wasn’t total garbage.

Most of it is just completely weird and unnatural, but once Kappei gets into hospital the emotional impact is fairly strong, it’s got some good cheesy lines(with some assistance from the cheese king Yoshino) that were really great and overall, it was pretty neat.

Overall

Clannad would not have changed without this character and route, but it was aight. I give this route a Vigorously Shaking Akihara/10

2 Likes

I rated this route a 5/5
Just because I find it hilarious how a series as seemingly innocent as Clannad includes a scene which implies Tomoya almost walked in on Ryou and Kappei making sweet love in the hospital ward, only for her to go quickly finish up. :stuck_out_tongue:

But no seriously brilliant route.

Kappei is one cool dude and his relationship with Ryou, although short lived through the course of the route, was very cute and if anything I would argue Kappei is the best significant other for Ryou.

He brings out the best in Ryou, and in this route we see her get in to super confident sassy mode. Two times I’ve read the route in my life, and I still laugh uncontrollably when she tells him she’ll forcibly have his babies. Rapist Ryou is best Ryou? :wink:
A welcome change, because it was great to see her open up and see some of the things which motivate her to pursue her life goals.

Unlike the anime, Ryou finally gets to have her moment in the spotlight as a significant character who has more to contribute than just her so called “bad end” in the Fujibayashi twins path.
Her wanting to become a nurse doesn’t just come out of nowhere. She has someone she cares for and that someone reinforces her aspirations. At the same time Kappei finds happiness in his life despite being a lonely orphan, his growing physical impairment in some ways (although kind of conviniently) sent him on a collision course to fall for the one woman who was going to quite literally save his life.

In some ways, I’ve thought of this more as Ryou’s route if anything.
It was cute, it was powerful, and leaves a strong lasting impression.

3 Likes

It was a short but sweet route. I don’t really have too much to say about it, but there was some nice emotion. Ryou is really forward in this route, like dang gurl. It felt a bit weird to see their relationship progress that quickly, but Tomoya’s just a third party so we only see it from his perspective. Not to mention plenty of time-skips. (Also, getting hot and heavy in the hospital room? Those two are wild.)

Also I like how the game implies (just short of outright stating) that Yusuke was the guy who gave Kappei the advice so many years ago, and when hearing the story from Tomoya he basically drags himself. Don’t pretend like you’re not involved! He even picked up his poetic, over-dramatic speech patterns!

3 Likes

The part where he said “What an irresponsible thing to say” just made me crack up, though.

3 Likes

I did this route. I don’t really like Kappei very much. I felt for him, but he is one of the characters who I would have absolutely no patience for in real life.

One thing with this route is I had to spend time reflecting on Ryou and her choices to really be comfortable with how this all played out for her. Since we are eyes off of their relationship I am guessing there is a lot of good we are just not aware of. Ryou is the kind of person who we have seen adjust herself for others in extreme ways, and Kappei has a tendency to be kind of oblivious to other people and at times takes advantage of weaknesses he does see. And there is the whole thing about being in high school and ready to tell a person you have not known very long that you are willing to commit to staying with him forever to the point where you threaten to (secretly?) make a baby with him. It kind of instinctively rubbed me the wrong way. But as I was thinking of all the reasons it bothered me I kind of realized that because there was so much happening out of sight it was just kind of one of those times where you have to trust the choices Ryou makes for herself. She has shown that she is able to be quite stubborn and thinks things through.

Also, I don’t really feel like lying about being pregnant to get someone to do anything, even life saving surgery is okay. If the lie had stood I would probably be enraged about the whole thing. I am glad that part crumbled pretty quickly. Somehow just threatening to become pregnant doesn’t bother nearly as much.

Kyou and Sunohara were both great in this route. Watching the older sister become lost as her younger sister became more independent was adorable. And Sunohara going through the stages of yaoi made for a great light hearted break from the meat of the route.

1 Like

I really liked this route! It was nice to see Ryou get a happier ending after last time. Kappei manages to be both sweet and weird at the same time. I like his interactions with Tomoya. Especially when, what was it, Kappei kept trying to tell him something and Tomoya kept trying to walk off. The relationship with Ryou escalated quickly, especially since I’m used to the more drawn out process of Tomoya getting a partner. But it was very sweet and I liked it.

I felt they did kind of push the sick thing a bit hard after Tomoya found the medicine. It went from almost nothing to “Oh, what are these pills” to suddenly Kappei making comments every two minutes. That’s how it felt to me anyway. I also did not like the fake pregnancy thing. It was a bit cute and funny at first but saying “I’m going to do it anyway” and basically threatening rape is… well really, really bad. Maybe just because I do volunteer work at a center which deals with this kind of thing, I just… no. It sends off some red flags.

It was really nice having the time skip and seeing nurse Ryou. She looked very cute in her nurse uniform. The ending was a bit vague, which was also kind of nice in its own way. Overall I really enjoyed this route!

2 Likes

They’re married, and Kappei is declared free of cancer. I think that’s more concrete than most endings. I guess it’d be neat to know what Tomoya did for 5 years. In theory, it could be a big turn around for Tomoya, who’s apathetic a lot of the time, to meet someone who cherishes every moment of life, like Kappei.

2 Likes

Tomoya mentioned working his ass off.

Most Tomoya’s probably fall into a busy, not overly involved with people, physical work related future.

2 Likes

I am pretty much assuming at this point that in every route, no matter what Tomoya chooses, he’ll end up working in (after story spoilers) that electric company with Yoshino

What about the Recycling Center?

Wait wait wait… So did he end up dying or not? Damn ambiguous ending T_T

Yeah, I think @Doublethree1 is right, he probably ends up working at the Recycling Center in most of the routes, if not all of them besides After Story. Of course we don’t know much so it could be anything else just as well, but in Tomoyo’s route we certainly hear that he found a different job.

I’m not sure what would make you think that.

"Running isn’t everything to you, is it?
I don’t know the you who ran. The Kappei Hiiragi that I know… Is a guy who’s selfish and does things as he pleases, a guy who doesn’t get along with people well…
He talks about weird stories about the past… Sometimes he talks like a poet… Sometimes he dashes right at you…
My friend… is that kind of guy…"

Kappei is definitely weird and kinda random. With only a bag over his shoulder, he travels from town to town.
He has stuff like a map and a compass in there, but I wonder if he even knows how to use them. And even if he does, it’s still remarkable that he can travel around with just that. I mean, when it comes to earning a living, he’s pretty clueless and careless. Seriously, how did he even survive before reaching Tomoya’s town? It’s a mystery.
…and that’s why he’s so great! His randomness makes him so fun to watch!

It’s interesting that Tomoya would encounter someone like Kappei. Both of them were talented in sports and both had to quit it, thus losing their way in life.
Tomoya lost all confidence and started hating himself. He doesn’t think much about his future, except that it’s going to be very hard. But it doesn’t seem like he had ever thought about death.
Kappei, on the other hand, doesn’t have any issues with himself. He’s pretty confident, he takes things as they come and he has no doubts he’ll be able to handle any job he goes for. But he still treasures his talent more than his own life and sees no point in living on without it. He’s basically just looking for a good place to die.
So… which one is more pitiful?

3 Likes

Kappei.

That shits fucked up.