Civilization V!

This is about the game Civilization V, not to be confused with Civilization V! (also known as Civ 120), which will probably never come out.

Basically, a lot of us have Civ V Complete edition, due to the fact that they were selling it discounted at about ~$9 USD (since Civ 6 has been announced). I don’t think that particular deal is still up and running (though there may be other deals for those interested; check Steam), but for those of you with the Complete Edition (Civ V + all DLC), we tend to organize a lot of impromptu games on the Kazamatsuri Discord.

Here, we can discuss Civilization V and plan for future games, lessening the insanity of impromptu matches. (I think I have eight different game saves, due to different people jumping in whenever I’m available for a match, haha.) It’d be great if we could organize bigger games at set times and the like, especially considering different time zones.

For convenience, we’ll refer to time zones in the manner of (UTC ± #) as in: EST is, during the summer, UTC -4 due to Daylight Savings Time. For reference, see time zones in UTC.

So far, we have @uppfinnarn, @cjlim2007, @DMB, @SanjiSanada, @Aspirety, and @Mogaoscar who have played games on Discord; more are welcome! Let’s set up times to play and discuss rules/playstyles/whatever!

Player Time Zone List:
@ghagler : EST: UTC-4
@uppfinnarn: UTC+1
@cjlim2007: UTC-8
@DMB: EST: UTC-4

Scheduled Games:

4 Likes

I’m in UTC+1, though I’m available at strange times…

I really like painting the map in my color and establishing huge trade empires more than anything, I’m not actually a big fan of Civ’s combat, it feels tedious more than anything. Also I can’t make money off a civilization I burned to the ground.

2 Likes

I’m in UTC-8. I haven’t finished many complete games so I don’t know what kind of victory I actually like. I still have no idea how cultural victory works so I’m experimenting with Brazil right now.

1 Like

I probably should’ve mentioned my time zone: EST (UTC -4 for now; it’ll change to -5 once Daylight Savings Time changes).

I enjoy pretty much everything! I say I like declaring war, but I usually end up focusing on Wonders and culture; Tourism late-game is pretty fun to mess with, and I like the World Congress/U.N. a lot… I do like puppeting cities, though. Or razing the ones that are placed in really horrible positions.

But my favorite part is the religious game. I’m OK with being a small nation, as long as I cover the map with my church. That’s usually why I declare war, too: gotta knock out the other Holy Cities and purge them.

So yeah: might not be the most fun player to face if you like playing religions, lol. I’m not against declaring war against another player, but it does feel pretty sad if they weren’t expecting it, so I tend to just try to forcefully convert all their cities instead.

1 Like

My time zone is EST as well. I’m availible pretty much whenever I don’t work, so mondays and thursdays.
I personally like religion, culture or commerce over military or diplomatic, but I can try anything really. I did play japanese conquest mode once, it’s fun, but becomes boring quickly because of the fighting mechanic. Religion is probably my favorite because of how the converting and faith mechanics work. I love just going around with priests and spreading my belief to other nations.
I’m looking forward to playing with you all.

2 Likes

What do y’all think about scheduling a game for this weekend? This is my first week at my new retail job, which is boring me out of my mind, so I’d definitely like something to look forward to come Sunday ^^

I’m available most anytime, so “when” will depend more on y’all’s availability. For now, I’ll just suggest Sunday afternoon in EST (13:00 UTC-4 to 16:00 UTC-4, 6/19), but I’m naturally open to changing that, pending when people are available and want to play.

Unfortunately, I’ll be working all of sunday afternoon, so this one will be without me. Have fun!

I’m still doing my finals, but in two weeks time I’ll be up for almost anything. I’m in the CEST time zone until they change it back to the winter time zone in October.

Civilization VI looks hype as hell. I really hope they have official pitboss servers, that’d save us from some of the pain of scheduling - we could just take turns whenever we’re free!

(That takes someone running the server on a PC in a closet somewhere right now, and you can only have one game running at a time…)

1 Like

Seriously. Civ 6 looks glorious. Lots of fun new mechanics.

I think I’ll stick to civ 5 because my computer probably would kill itself harder than it already is. Also I played with @ghagler the other day and I realized I can’t play maps bigger than standard. By late game my computer just can’t handle it and it runs ~0.1 frames per second. (It was large map size.)

Strategic view is laggy too?

Okay. So lets bring this topic up from the pit of Oblivion it fell into.
Seeing how people actually showing interest in playing a game or two…
I think that we should start discussing the actual time (and actual day) when we can play… I hope that we will, yeah.
I am in UTC+7 timezone, but I can find a time to play at pretty much anytime on the weekends (for now).
So… any ideas?

I’d like to play a game…

No really, I’d be down on weekends as just a scheduled thing if we can find a time.

Thought: if anyone has an old machine they can set up for it, we can play Pit Boss mode; asynchronous, anyone can take their turn whenever they’re free, and the turn ends when everyone has taken theirs. (Only strictly enforced turn orders are PvP wars, obviously.)

Do you happen to know of a way that notifies the player who doesn’t take their turn with something on discord? Like if someone forgets is the a thing that will remind them a few times?

It can send emails or Steam notifications!

Thats actually a good idea, but I don’t have a 2nd alive PC now, so I can’t set up a server. orz

Oooh. I may have something here. Let me see if I can’t get something set up tomorrow.

@Aspirety I wanna play too!

I like Civ V

1 Like