Charlotte - Yuu Otosaka Character Discussion

And this is the worst part; we have absolutely no idea what happened! Was it successful? Was there some side effect? argh

well, key loves to do stuff like that. Give us little hints, that dont make sense unless you already know it. For example (LB spoilers): In the beginning of the anime, where we see the world kinda appearing in a ripple before Kyousuke, which hints on how their ripples met and they together made this world. This totally doesnt make any sense unless you know it.

2 Likes

As well as what happened It will be interesting to find out why it happened, it’s clear that he was able to take over the archery captain, why was the pitcher any different?

1 Like

Oh, important detail this episode: Yuu can totally use the abilities of the ability users he possesses.

3 Likes

yeah, I was really surprised to see that. Wonder what was up at the end of episode 4 then. Key being all mysterious again.

Step 1: The existence of Water dude. Water dude tells us what the monster of the week’s powers are. Except we didn’t get that for anyone before Yuu joined the Council.

Step 2: Nao and speed dude, did though. They probably got a single word, something which isn’t very explanatory. Nao however is freaking good at this shizz, whilst speed dude is more reserved.

Step 3: Nao has repeatedly shown a large interest in Yuu’s power. Baseball segment, plus her denying of him using it on Speed dude in ep 6. To elaborate on the previous point, she freaking kicked him out a window. What could Yuu have done that wasn’t as bad as that? Therefore the issue wasn’t that Yuu was gonna do something bad to him, but that he was going to use his power.

Step 4: Yuu’s identity issues fit in with his power, cool. But even if his power isn’t ‘control person for 5s’ that doesn’t destroy how his issues can fit with his power. Not knowing his own power properly fits afterall.

Step 5: Water dude can detect where people with a power is and what there power is. He’s there at the end. The rock is overturned. He’s detecting someone who shouldn’t be there. Doesn’t in particular have to mean Yuu’s power isn’t what Yuu thinks it is, but Yuu’s power as described wouldn’t save him from that. Doesn’t mean he’s alive either I suppose, since we do have someone who can bring people back from the dead. But it works as a form of foreshadowing no matter what.

1 Like

This is really badly explained, but I think I get what you are saying. Basically, because we didn’t get Kumagami’s description of Yuu’s power, it’s still up for speculation?

Nao’s motives during the baseball scene are still pretty questionable. The thing in episode 6 just seemed normal to me… As normal as it gets when the protag randomly decides to take violent action against a friend.

It was mentioned that him being kicked out of the window is a common occurrence. Pretty much the Yuri-Hinata dynamic.

We don’t even know how his powers work or anything about his character. He could be searching, or, with how the weather was, he could have been led.

2 Likes

… … … so if you’re saying what I think you’re saying, it’s something like this:

You arrived at your conclusion that Yuu’s power isn’t posessing people for 5 seconds because at the end of episode 6, Kumagami, who can detect and locate special abilities, is staring at a blood-stained piece of rubble. He’s detecting someone with superpowers under the rubble and you think it’s Yuu. The power to posess people for 5 seconds wouldn’t have saved him, but he somehow saved himself with his power, therefore his power isn’t posessing people for 5 seconds. Then you say Yuu may not actually be alive down there, which would contradict your chain of reasoning. …what?

…I still don’t get it. Could you reword it in a more understandable way? I get steps 1-4, but at step 5, it gets really confusing.

Yup. Basically these two points support step 3. Since without them Step 3 doesn’t really work.

It being common doesn’t explain why she did it in response to prevent Yuu. That entire scene is structured in that way. It really does suggest that Nao isn’t wanting Yuu to use his power on him in that scene.

More or less. But he’s shown in that shot for a reason. He wouldn’t have had his previous role if it didn’t connect to his role there.

I probably shouldn’t have labelled them as steps. Moreso points. I don’t understand your issue other than that? Like what’s the problem? Step 5 is simply stating some things that stand with regard to the final shot in ep 6. There’s nothing particularly odd about pointing out what those things could be?

Hey guys I figured out how Yuu could survive the thing with his power unchanged.

He just needs to posses someone and then perhaps if he doesn’t have his original body to go back too, he’d be stuck in that body and live.

2 Likes

and that body would be the wet guy. Now everything makes sense

1 Like

Now then, there are just so many theories as to what could happen
Yuu could be dead, but used his power to escape; Yuu might not actually be dead (and it wouldn’t be the first time anime pulled off shit like this); That blood might not even be Yuu’s! Perhaps Joujirou came to the rescue?

Either way, the appearance of Kumatama was really suspicious. And I have no theories regarding that quite yet.

I’m not too worried about the blood as it could have come from anyone. I doubt Ayumi and Yandere girl were the only two in that part of the building.

I said this before but I really don’t like the Yuu and Nao pairing yet we keep getting “you two would be perfect” shoved down our throats. If Ayumi really did die (which I doubt) I’m really looking forward to see how Yuu changes.

He’s already changed so much, but I definitely saw traces of his “original” personality when he planned to take over Joujirou. If anything, that would be what would change his personality the most.

I can only imagine how I’d feel if my sister died infront my me, especially if I was like a minute late of saving her. I know he’s changed quite a bit but that would probably change anyone hugely.

1 Like

Due to changes in policies, we’ve decided to keep this topic as spoiler tag-free! My apologies for any confusion, but from here on out, feel free to not use spoiler tags for charlotte information~ Info from other series still needs the tags
(this goes for all other charlotte character topics!)

1 Like

It’s only doing that because this is an anime original. For Key’s other visual novels, we already know who’s gonna end up with who, and we get to see over 50+ hours of character development. For Charlotte, we know that Nao is gonna be the main heroine, but we only have 13 episodes for the love “character development” and of that “13 episodes” there has to be something to push in the thinking of them being a pair, mostly for people who have no knowledge of Key whatsoever. Plus, remember, this is the first Key anime/visual novel to have a girl that differs from the rest. (No spin-offs included). If it makes sense, Nao has a realistic personality compared to the other Key heroines. And Yu, he has a pretty much rude personality, yet he is also caring at the times he wants to be. It’s not surprising for Yu and Nao to be the end girl.

Also, I don’t think that the pairing is anything out of the ordinary, I mean, people didn’t like the (Little Busters spoiler) end girl for Little Busters. How Rin ended up being the end girl. Some people loved it since it was foreshadowed, mostly in Refrain for the general idea of the world, some people didn’t because of the pacing of the love.

As for Rewrite. (Rewrite spoiler) Kagari being the end girl, same thing, some people loved it, some people didn’t. Some people loved it because of the general concept of what Kagari was. Some people didn’t like it because of the pacing and the out of no where “I love you” ending, which, I didn’t really mind. It’s not the first time in Key where someone blurts that out of no where.

Literally the only thing throwing a romantic angle in Charlotte is the gag that’s used over and over. That isn’t to say there won’t be romance, I just think the idea that you’re certain there is going to be between Nao and Yuu is a tad… Well I’d be disappointed in that case.

I’d argue that Little Busters isn’t about romance. The character you’re calling the ‘main girl’ isn’t that in the sense of a romantic way at all. So I’m not sure this works to support your thinking. But even moreso:

I feel like you’ve genuinely misunderstood (Rewrite spoilers)Kagari’s role in Rewrite. She isn’t a love interest of Kotarou’s. She’s a force of nature. She isn’t supposed to be loved, the love that Kotarou feels for her is a lie. It’s okay that it’s a lie. It isn’t trying to be anything but a lie. He isn’t loving her, he’s loving the world. Rewrite is about loving ‘the world’. About loving the people in it. But most importantly it’s about finding your own way, not a universal one. Due to that I’d also say this supports the idea that Nao doesn’t have to be a main girl in a romantic sense. At least if you’re trying to argue the existence of one Key work means another must abide by it’s rules. Which in Rewrite’s case is a tad odd since I’m fairly certain Maeda’s influence on it, as compared to his influence on Charlotte, is minimal.

4 Likes

I think it’s too early for that. It was nice development for Yuu and Ayumi though.

Did we experience the same Little Busters? o.o

I don’t think Charlotte even needs romance. Sounds like wasted time for the show.

2 Likes

It’s mainly how we’ve now had every character who has appeared in more than one episode besides Kumagami comment on how they’d be good together or ask if they were dating. How the story is currently set up I don’t think it needs romance as you said later on.