Charlotte - Yuu Otosaka Character Discussion

I’m not sure who here has seen Amagi Brilliant Park but Yuu is almost exactly like the protagonist in that. They act similar, look the same, both voiced by Kouki Uchiyama. I’m currently watching that and it got me thinking, because this isn’t a typical “solve all the girl’s problems and they fall in love with you” Key story from a visual novel the “douche bag” protagonist isn’t really anything special. Sure it’s interesting but it’s not really unique to Charlotte’s setting. Maybe once the switch-up happens in episode 6 he’ll be more interesting.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing about him being like the amagi protagonist, it would be fascinating if they decided not to take a romantic approach for once

That’s actually a good point. Even if there’s an epilogue that shows Yuu married or something no actual romance being shown would be quite interesting for Key.

1 Like

It would be good to focus just on friendship, but I don’t think it’d have a positive response in Japan…

1 Like

The air TV show didn’t really have any romance and that’s a classic, but you’re right they will make whatever gets them money, and romance sells

Air TV was more about helping the girl before the “stuff” happened. If there was love, it would be tragic, and not appealing. Isn’t Yukito like 28 and Misuzu like 16 ? I’m basing this on the fact that Yukito is a traveler and doesn’t go to school.

I think there’s gonna be romance. That blushing in the end of last ep… Anyway, if there’s romance, I just hope they do it right, and develop it in a right way, with insight and feels, but not like Rin x Riki romance…

1 Like

I’m not feeling the Nao x Yuu pairing so much.

Joujirou x Yusa, on the other hand, I’m hopeful.

But yeah anything would be better than the Rin x Riki romance, that was just laughable =3=

I find it laughable that people still try to categorize their relationship as “romance”…

2 Likes

i never thought of that actually happenings, it would be absolutely adorable

I think there may have been some wasted potential in episode 4 with regards to Yuu’s personality. Other episodes required him to keep his power in check which is understandable considering his situation.

But episode 4 but him in a very competitive situation which would have allowed him to shine in terms of smug badassery. He could have easily taken advantage of the other players, and in numerous ways other than how he did it now, but he didn’t.

It’s not something I hate but it definitely is starting to feel like Yuu is starting to change his personality way too fast. I guess some people noticed that early on, but only at this point do I feel like there is concrete evidence towards it.

Yeah, honestly episode two’s change was fine for me, especially with Yuu’s comment about “What’s wrong with me. I dont usually act this way…” But since then its, well, I dont need to restate it.

I think it’s because we’re trying to find what we thought is the “real” Yuu Otosaka when he himself isn’t sure of his own true personality.

If his powers start dwindling because of his change in personality then I would actually find that a good direction for the show to get into. Hey maybe that’s what Nao’s experiment was all about! Or not. Honestly I have no idea and have nothing to suggest towards it @_@

2 Likes

If it wasn’t romance, why would they even have sex in EX?

I just want the romance in Charlotte to have more depth, to have a good development, and to be something that actually fits in the story. Key has done some bad romance before, this is certain… But it also has done good romance (like Lucia’s, but it wasn’t Maeda)…

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

On that note, Maeda has done at least one good romance I can remember: Tomoyo’s route from CLANNAD.

and Yui and Hinata from angel beats of course!!!

Yu is great, he just stands around, wondering why he even there complaining about all the little stupid things happening around him.

He’s the perfect self insert for everybody watching this show.

2 Likes

I’M INTO ‘Shipper Extraordinaire mode’ right now

I’m sorry…but I think at the last of ep 4---- COUGH Key trying their best to ship Yuu x Nao…

and it’s make my brain confused for a while…

I still don’t understand what is Nao purpose for asking Yuu to use that power to the ‘subject’ I’mreallystupid
beside—Nao seems very calm though she do little skinship with Yuu—and Yuu is like WHY YOU DO THAT?! <<< his reaction are so priceless and innocent…and of course I find it cute <3

Don’t worry, it’s not your fault.

None of us understand yet what exactly she is doing and why she is doing it ._.

That’s the thing; I think, at this point, none of us really know who the true “Otosaka Yuu” is. We’ve just seen his reactions but we’ve never really seen his inner thoughts about everything that’s happening. I honestly don’t know exactly what I should expect from him, if he runs into an emergency situation, for instance. I can expect how Nao, Joujirou, heck, even Yusa would react to emergency. But Yuu? I have no fucking idea.

Adding that into the key visual we’ve seen before, well… That just got me excited again xP

Well actually, we have seen his true self. Once. In the very first scene of the show, in the intersection. That is who Yuu really is, and if you think about it, that explains why we dont really fell like we know him, since he doesnt feel like he knows himself.

2 Likes