Charlotte - Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

OH MY GOD
I just realised Yuu’s name is a pun. “Why am I myself and not somebody else?” Yuu = You.

Heh.

3 Likes

I promised myself to avoid any kind of spoilers but I couldn’t resist and gave a look at the episode titles and now HYPE HYPE HYPE
Only one day left!!

2 Likes

OMG, the HYPE is so huge!!!
I think the name of an episodes by itself doesn´t say too much ( I think that’s why they posted the names)…
I just hope “charlotte” episode to have as much feels as “little busters!” episode from little busters.
I cannot stand this haipu!!!

1 Like

Cross fingers… lets hope they’ve really learn from their mistakes.

Anyway, I have true trust in them… because if they were able to create something good from a mistake (quote Jun Maeda himself) in AB, if they were able to compress that full season story into a small one… even with all those problems they were still able deliver a good product, and made us have fun and shed some tears, then I’m truly confident they will do it quite right this time.

HYPE!

2 Likes

I do think 1 cour is a wasted potential though, with all the money they have they could’ve done a longer series…

Could’ve isn’t always should’ve, and less can certainly be more.

That said we’re not starting this again. Donezo. It’s 13 episodes and that’s that unless we hear otherwise. Wait until it finishes to judge what it could’ve been.

1 Like

Aight listen up, longer is not better.
The appropriate length depends on the story, you don’t need any more than an hour/three episodes to tell a completely solid story if you play your cards right. And on the flipside, filling 26 episodes with meaningful content is not always that easy either, if one can, more power too them, that’s fantastic, but it’s not always optimal.

6 Likes

Well, you can just satiate your desire for more Charlotte with this newly announced manga: http://kazamatsuri.org/new-charlotte-manga-announced/ :wink:

Maeda obviously can do it. He wrote visual novels, that are much much longer than animes. So this is no excuse.

There is only so much interactions and development you can do with five characters as opposed to an entire baseball team. I bolded meaningful for a reason.

1 Like

Hey everybody! Just an hour and a half to go until Charlotte broadcast (3 hours for worldwide simulcast). As such, you may have noticed that this topic does say pre-release discussion. What happens after this? Well, I’d like to keep this as an archive of what we, as members, thought about Charlotte before it was released. After Charlotte is officially released, I would recommend that all discussion be put into the specific topics, namely:

• Per episode discussion will go into the specific episode topic, which will happen as we make them
  • Character discussion should go into the specific character discussion topic, which I have already made for most of the main cast
  • All uncategorized Charlotte discussion should go into the Charlotte General Discussion topic. This could include thoughts about the Charlotte universe, the setting, and other related discussion.

As we go into a close, I’d like to leave this topic for everyone to answer one final question: What are you most looking forward to see in Charlotte, before it airs? We’ll be closing down the topic a few hours after episode 1 is out, so I hope all of you can post your thoughts on this question :wink:

To answer my own question: what am I most looking forward to? Firstly, I am looking forward to more inward-focused character conflict. I like the idea of them having powers, and how their powers could somehow instill into the characters negative thoughts about themselves. Yuu seems to heavily doubt his own identity because of his power, and I am hoping that Nao would somehow feel isolated because of her own power.

Second thing I am most looking forward to is an explanation of their powers. I am expecting that that is something that would be tackled in the later episodes, and hope this provides some sort of “twist” in the story. It’s definitely going to go down a darker road, as we have seen from the posters, so I am definitely excited as to how they plan to execute that!

So, what are you guys looking forward to?

The first thing I’m looking forward too will be the opening and ending songs. Those will also be the first thing I will see, because I will download the raw just for that. I will wait a few hours for a translation ofcourse :wink:

1 Like

definitly the opening, Yusa and Misa

I’m hoping we’re going to get something a bit different. More along the lines of the commentary that Angel Beats was doing. I also am looking forward to the protag being quite different to most Key protags. It’d be a real shame for them to not use him in a rather unique fashion.

1 Like

As you put well Pepe, I’m interested in seeing the kind of character-focused drama that occurs in relation to each characters’ superpower. Superpowers and Drama can work surprisingly well together. I’m expecting some strong themes of identity, belongingness, personal growth, and purpose to show up in this work. This is also the first real sci-fi Key story since planetarian (not counting Rewrite’s sci-fi subplots).

As for characters, I’m very excited by what I see. Yuu is a very atypical Key protagonist; we’ve had jerks before, but never really a narcissist. We have our first living protagonist imouto (speculation)who will probably die or have something horrible happen to her by the end, heh, and a main heroine who also seems quite different to what we’ve seen so far. I don’t have a very good grip on Nao’s personality yet, and I find that exciting, because the kind of characters who don’t stick to one personality archetype feel much more human to me. At the very least, she looks like a lot of fun, and I’m sure she has some big mysteries in her backstory. And Joujirou looks like a lot of fun too, but I’m sure he has the potential to be a real Key bro by the end. He’ll do something amazing when his help is required.

And from what little we know about the music, I’m very excited to hear more.

I guess, what I’m most looking forward to seeing is whether or not this story will stand up as one of Jun Maeda’s great works along with all of his other visual novel writing, or will it fall short in some way. I’m certainly feeling positive, but only time will tell how Charlotte holds up against Key’s other stories.

3 Likes

For some reason (as much as I doubt it’ll happen) if any of the main characters die I hope it’s Yuu. Nothing against him but I don’t think a Key protagonist has ever died besides Angel Beats!. during the story.

Things that will for sure be there that I want to see are the interaction between the main characters. I read the first 2 chapters of the 4-Koma and really liked them there so I can’t wait to see them in a full anime series opposed to a couple chapters of a 4-koma.

That is very incorrect… I won’t list which because spoilers, but multiple Key protags have died during the story. ^^;

I´m looking forward all the music of the series, there will be two bands so I guess there will be several themes to add to my playlist. The think I´m most looking forward is a bittersweet end ( I´m not a big fan of happy ends).

I moved a post to an existing topic: Charlotte - General Discussion