Charlotte - Joujirou Takajou Character Discussion

It’s coming from a fourth-wall perspective; He isn’t the butt of the character’s jokes in-series, rather, it seems like he’s the butt of the writers’ jokes, as they are putting him into an unnecessary situation that allows for comic relief.

Do you really think that his style of suddenly changing into an apron in that manner wasn’t made just for laughs? Because that’s really the only way I can see it, and thus can’t agree with it being a swag trait :stuck_out_tongue:

But like I said, Yuu is the bigger butt monkey so far, and all that pushing for him being a butt monkey was posted way before any of the episodes aired. The only thing I can confirm is that he has, in at least one case, been used for comic relief.

I know all the pushing was made beforehand, but I feel like that ideal is being stuck too against the evidence presented by the episode.

The apron was comedic of course, but shit man did you see that pose? That confidence? It might have been comedic, but god damn if it didn’t paint the man as cool.

1 Like

Perhaps it might be me being biased about it, but I really didn’t find it cool… But you’re right in that it’d be better approached from a more neutral perspective

Takajou is someone I would describe as a “Natural wingman”, someone who’s born to be a bro. He specializes in providing support effectively and swiftly, but not out of dedication to one specific person, as we’ve seen in episode 3. He is a team player who supports all of his allies. Because Yuu seemed down early in the morning (episode 3), Takajou decided to cheer him up right away - by providing great food. And it worked.

As a supporter, Takajou really is high-spec. His reaction speed is great (intercepting projectiles in mid-flight), he’s a quick thinker (made strategy for capturing the guy who hit Nao) and it seems like he always comes prepared (wearing apron to help Yuu move in). He has great potential as a bro and I’m looking forward to his future exploits.

Let’s not forget that his ability is extremely dangerous, first and foremost for the user. Yet he never hesitates to use it to help his allies. While it’s pictured as a joke, it’s worth noting that he downplays his own injuries.
Incidentally, did we ever see him using the ability only for his own sake?

5 Likes

Interesting point @Naoki_Saten. Time will tell if they decide to shift this in a more serious direction, or keep him as an uninteresting comic relief wingman.

Considering Key’s past record, it’s entirely possible we could have another Masato situation on our hands, which I’d be very excited to see.

1 Like

To bump the topic, I’m very interested to hear what people think in the sudden shift in his character with episode 3. I was really really liking Takajou during episodes 1 and 2, but ever since Yusa has popped onto the scene, his character has devolved into a raving fanboy. It’s not like it isn’t funny, but I feel like we’ve lost something valuable.

I like this cheerful and more happy side of him. It really rounds up his character. Normally he is all serious, but when it’s about things he is passionate about he explodes and shows that. It’s something I really love about him.

I say this for most of the “changes” in personality that I get to see but… I kind of expected it, really. Ever since they mentioned Joujirou is a fan of Yusa, I already wrote in my own head that he would be a raging fanboy. As such, I guess it didn’t bother me

1 Like

I can’t deny I’m a bit worried. I wouldn’t want Joujirou to change classes from “bro” to “comic relief clown”. I’d like him to be the guy who is capable of supporting his friends like nobody else can, not the pinata everybody hits for shits and giggles but nobody takes seriously. Or in terms of key, I want him to be a Masato, not a Sunohara.

Not saying that fanboying over Yusa is ruining his character. Being passionate and silly is quite ok. What worries me is how intense his fanboying is. To put it bluntly: Reacting as strongly to Yusa’s spit as he did in episode 4 was definitely overkill.

No, actually, that would be fine, too. Provided that Yusa is the only thing he goes into silly fanboy mode about. Because that would mean that “comic relief clown” is not his nature, but a mere funny quirk that triggers under specific circumstances without really damaging his bro qualities.
So I guess it’s not the time to panic just yet…

On a side note:
Some people have mentioned they’re looking forward to a romantic development between Joujirou and Yusa. I seriously doubt it will happen, but if there is a chance for it happening, there is one requirement that I’m very sure must be fulfilled: Joujirou would have to shut down the fanboy mode permanently and look at Yusa as a person, not an idol.

1 Like

Pretty sure that much will be true! I don’t see him going crazy over much anything else.

That’s what I am also worried about, and that’s where I see the character development going for Joujirou or even Yusa. Well, it’s only a personal wish of mine, so I have no basis for it :stuck_out_tongue:

No one talking about Joujirou after ep 5? Fine, I’ll start it.

Personality
After episode 5 I think there’s a lot character development in him (though small compared to others). Particularly in the bathing scene /heh when he showed anger when Yuu didn’t seem to particularly care about his well-being as an ability user. (Though he retracted somehow). It’s also shown that Joujirou isn’t currently looking for relationship because he wants to wait until his ability disappears.
And regarding the “spit” scene in the previous episode, it does seem to me that he is voluntarily doing such things to worsen his image? Honestly I think he’s just as attractive as Yuu, but considering that he is not going to any serious relationship, he’d rather be “turning off” everyone with his own way?

Relationship with Nao
In this episode we also see that Joujirou probably had already seen Nao’s getting bullied, but never did anything about that and feign ignorance to the point that he suggested Yuu to do the same. In the second episode he didn’t even show that he ever had a routine of having lunch together with Nao. And then, Nao clearly asked him if he wanted to visit Nao’s brother but he declined.

That’s how Joujirou is, in school. But during the ability-user hunt, he does show a great loyalty toward Nao, as if he is willing to do anything for her. Unlike Yuu who always look reluctant, he’s totally responsive and quick every time Nao signs it. But we don’t know what’s the basis of his loyalty to Nao. Is it just because they share the same opinion and goal? Or is there anything more to it?

So far Joujirou is the least developed character, which is why I am very interested in him. Hopefully these 4 (or 5) main characters will equally get their own character depth. I heard this time they limit the character counts so that they can explore them fully, unlike AB. I’ll just wait them do their job.

4 Likes

I moved a post to an existing topic: Charlotte - General Discussion

I think it’s not really character development but, rather, that’s how he’s always been. We just never had the opportunity to see it :o

I dunnoooooo he seems pretty crazy about Yusa :stuck_out_tongue:

This actually raises the most flags. He’s known Nao the most and most likely knows all about her experiences as a student at Hoshi no Umi. He definitely knows stuff that we all don’t, at the very least

We didn’t see very much Joujirou this past episode, but I would like to reiterate some points based on what we did see of him. Mainly, (well, solely might be more truthful) when he was talking about Nao during the lunch scene. He clearly has a lot of respect for Nao, and definitely knows more than her than we do, even though he turned down learning more about her personal life. And I think you may be on to something with that “intentionally worsening his image” thing.

Was anyone else secretly hoping at the end of episode 6 that Joujirou would come and save Yuu? HE WAS RIGHT THERE

Episode 6 spoilers: I thought the blood at the end was actually Joujirou’s, and that he sacrificed himself to save Yuu.

1 Like

This screenshot is kinda misleading when shown out of context. xD
But that’s not what I actually want to talk about. You guys surely remember this scene from episode 5. As you can see, Joujirou is pointing out that he won’t pursue any romantic goals as long as he has his superpower.

In regards to the events of episode 12, the path has now been cleared! Joujirou has been freed from his superpower ahead of time and now he has 2 years left to enjoy his life as a high schooler to the fullest, romance and all! And now that he stopped being a clown and started treating Yusa like a human being (not a deity), he actually has a chance to win her over. Don’t misunderstand. I’m not saying she’s his destined one or that I’d ship them. Just pointing out that this is one out of many possible paths and it’s been unlocked as of ep 12, assuming that Joujirou won’t revert to being a brainless fanboy again.

On a different note, I don’t think we’ll see Joujirou in episode 13, except maybe for a couple of frames with no lines.
I had high expectations for Joujirou.

Unfortunately, he was being a bit too much of a clown ever since Yusa showed up and he didn’t get a lot of screentime in the second half of the series. Well, it’s not like all of his potential has gone to waste, so I guess he did ok.
I do appreciate his performance in episode 12 A LOT. He showed his bro side in full power once again, providing perfect emotional support for Yuu.

1 Like

I’d say that and I would absolutely love it, but I’ve had so much people about idols being “I only love them as an idol not a person”

BUT JOUJIROU AIN’T LIKE THAT HE’S A BRO

To be honest, Joujirou is a fanboy and he will stay this way. He knows though, when to hold back and be more serious. When the situation is right, he will be a fanboy.

I won’t say that Joujirou is my favorite character, but I will say that I if I knew these characters as people in real-life he’s probably the one I would enjoy being around the most. He’s passionate about the things he loves, he takes hardship in stride, he’s always generous and he puts his friends above himself.

It’s kind of a shame that he got pushed to the side so much, but I don’t really think he’d fit in with the more serious turn that the show took. In a way, I see Joujirou like a warm blanket: a comforting reminder of simpler times.

1 Like