Charlotte - Joujirou Takajou Character Discussion

Charlotte Hype Train continues, and only one week left until the broadcast!

This week, let’s all discuss the resident butt-monkey smart-looking guy, Joujirou! Information about Joujirou’s powers, personality, and so on go in this topic.

All Charlotte information may be discussed in this topic without spoiler tags. However, references to important information from other Key series must be kept in spoiler tags, with context specified.

Time to go high-speed towards discussion! Let’s just hope we don’t stop in an unfortunate location midway :wink:

3 Likes

To start off, what do I think about Joujirou? Well hmm… There’s not much to think about so far. The PVs don’t show much, neither does the 4-koma. He definitely does seem like a Takamatsu clone: His manner of speaking makes himself sound really smart and insightful, but he really isn’t. I’m interested in seeing his role as the story goes down the rabbit hole, though!

I love this guy so far. He’s always trying to look so cool, then he goes flying into a wall at super high speed. He also seems to be a bit of a skirt chaser, he’s a self proclaimed Yusa fanboy (I’m sure we’ll see some great interactions between those two), but I also have the impression that he has an interest in Nao as well. Like a loyal pet to do her bidding. Maybe that’s stretching it too far though~

Will he be able to hold up in the more dramatic events, or is he doomed to comic relief? Time will tell, but I anticipate some genuinely cool moments from him at the times which require it. He seems like he would be dependable at the most critical moment.

4 Likes

Didn’t really get the skirt-chaser vibe from him; I always just thought that he is dedicated to his Yusa-rin :stuck_out_tongue:

But yes, in true butt-monkey nature, he’ll definitely pull through when the situation needs him to. Remember Sunohara :wink:

3 Likes

He has solid Keybro potential.

2 Likes

Definitly my fav of the characters, that got some focus in episode 1. I cant wait to learn more about him.

You guys keep pushing the butt monkey aspect when it was Yu who was bottom bitch on the comedic repercussions this episode while Joujirou swagged around like a boss all day.

1 Like

I would post a gif of him changing into an apron, but I don’t have it yet :stuck_out_tongue:

Well he’s definitely not as big a butt monkey as Yuu, but he still has it

Papa peeps, I got dis.

3 Likes

…that isn’t even remotely a butt monkeyish trait.

That was swag, showing him to be a prepared and refined gentlemen but in a humorous fashion, he was not the butt of the joke. I question your definition of butt monkey.

1 Like

It’s coming from a fourth-wall perspective; He isn’t the butt of the character’s jokes in-series, rather, it seems like he’s the butt of the writers’ jokes, as they are putting him into an unnecessary situation that allows for comic relief.

Do you really think that his style of suddenly changing into an apron in that manner wasn’t made just for laughs? Because that’s really the only way I can see it, and thus can’t agree with it being a swag trait :stuck_out_tongue:

But like I said, Yuu is the bigger butt monkey so far, and all that pushing for him being a butt monkey was posted way before any of the episodes aired. The only thing I can confirm is that he has, in at least one case, been used for comic relief.

I know all the pushing was made beforehand, but I feel like that ideal is being stuck too against the evidence presented by the episode.

The apron was comedic of course, but shit man did you see that pose? That confidence? It might have been comedic, but god damn if it didn’t paint the man as cool.

1 Like

Perhaps it might be me being biased about it, but I really didn’t find it cool… But you’re right in that it’d be better approached from a more neutral perspective

Takajou is someone I would describe as a “Natural wingman”, someone who’s born to be a bro. He specializes in providing support effectively and swiftly, but not out of dedication to one specific person, as we’ve seen in episode 3. He is a team player who supports all of his allies. Because Yuu seemed down early in the morning (episode 3), Takajou decided to cheer him up right away - by providing great food. And it worked.

As a supporter, Takajou really is high-spec. His reaction speed is great (intercepting projectiles in mid-flight), he’s a quick thinker (made strategy for capturing the guy who hit Nao) and it seems like he always comes prepared (wearing apron to help Yuu move in). He has great potential as a bro and I’m looking forward to his future exploits.

Let’s not forget that his ability is extremely dangerous, first and foremost for the user. Yet he never hesitates to use it to help his allies. While it’s pictured as a joke, it’s worth noting that he downplays his own injuries.
Incidentally, did we ever see him using the ability only for his own sake?

5 Likes

Interesting point @Naoki_Saten. Time will tell if they decide to shift this in a more serious direction, or keep him as an uninteresting comic relief wingman.

Considering Key’s past record, it’s entirely possible we could have another Masato situation on our hands, which I’d be very excited to see.

1 Like

To bump the topic, I’m very interested to hear what people think in the sudden shift in his character with episode 3. I was really really liking Takajou during episodes 1 and 2, but ever since Yusa has popped onto the scene, his character has devolved into a raving fanboy. It’s not like it isn’t funny, but I feel like we’ve lost something valuable.

I like this cheerful and more happy side of him. It really rounds up his character. Normally he is all serious, but when it’s about things he is passionate about he explodes and shows that. It’s something I really love about him.

I say this for most of the “changes” in personality that I get to see but… I kind of expected it, really. Ever since they mentioned Joujirou is a fan of Yusa, I already wrote in my own head that he would be a raging fanboy. As such, I guess it didn’t bother me

1 Like

I can’t deny I’m a bit worried. I wouldn’t want Joujirou to change classes from “bro” to “comic relief clown”. I’d like him to be the guy who is capable of supporting his friends like nobody else can, not the pinata everybody hits for shits and giggles but nobody takes seriously. Or in terms of key, I want him to be a Masato, not a Sunohara.

Not saying that fanboying over Yusa is ruining his character. Being passionate and silly is quite ok. What worries me is how intense his fanboying is. To put it bluntly: Reacting as strongly to Yusa’s spit as he did in episode 4 was definitely overkill.

No, actually, that would be fine, too. Provided that Yusa is the only thing he goes into silly fanboy mode about. Because that would mean that “comic relief clown” is not his nature, but a mere funny quirk that triggers under specific circumstances without really damaging his bro qualities.
So I guess it’s not the time to panic just yet…

On a side note:
Some people have mentioned they’re looking forward to a romantic development between Joujirou and Yusa. I seriously doubt it will happen, but if there is a chance for it happening, there is one requirement that I’m very sure must be fulfilled: Joujirou would have to shut down the fanboy mode permanently and look at Yusa as a person, not an idol.

1 Like

Pretty sure that much will be true! I don’t see him going crazy over much anything else.

That’s what I am also worried about, and that’s where I see the character development going for Joujirou or even Yusa. Well, it’s only a personal wish of mine, so I have no basis for it :stuck_out_tongue: