Charlotte - Episode 9 "The World is Not in Here"

Discussion topic for Episode 9 of Charlotte, aka “A World Not Here”, which premièred on the 29th of August, 2015. All references to outside works and to future episodes must be tagged with a [spoiler] tag.

This topic also hosted Charlotte Anime Bookclub discussion, and was referenced in our Episode 9 Podcast.

You can view the series on:
Crunchyroll in North America and UK
Daisuki in North America
Hulu in North America
Viewster in North America and some of Europe
AnimeLab in Australia

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

2 Likes

Wow, this episode changed absolutely everything!

So many theories going around have just gained credence or been outright confirmed! But are they really going to be able to wrap this up in the next few episodes? Or is this going to be another rush job?

At the very least, it looks like things are going to take a much more action packed turn, a la X-men. I’m looking forward to it, since we haven’t seen much of that from Maeda, but what do you guys think?

Shit, they really went with the time travel thing. His brother being blind makes me think of Sala again. I guess she did something with her power too, that made it happen. Overall a pretty nice episode, but I am not liking how the rest of the cast gets completly disregarded. I really hope they wont leave them out for too long.

also let’s look over the abilities of the 5 people we have seen since episode 2 in the opening.

Yuu’s brother: time travel
Kumagami: finding powers
yellow haired guy: going through stuff
girl: putting someone to sleep
and the guy driving the car: changing memories (or maybe just erasing them)

And let’s not forget Yuu: Plunder.

Also, this totally explains why Nao was keeping Yuu from mind controlling Joujirou. She didn’t want his power to get plundered. She was fine with Yuu plundering the other powers because she didn’t want those people using them anyway.

2 Likes

So Episode 10 is going to be (Madoka Spoilers) like Madoka Episode 10? The original timeline and further things.

2 Likes

A lot of missing links are answered. But of course we’ll get a lot more next week…

1 Like

Well, that was an episode of revelation, and new hope concerning Ayumi.

So, my speculation that Yuus brother would be this person Nao trusts was right.

Our suspicions that there is more to Yuus ability than just him possessing people was also true. And Nao must know at least a little bit about it, because of her “experiment” with the baseball player, and the time when she stopped him from possessing Joujirou

And people seem to get blind if they overexert their abilities. That probably happened to Sala (she said she cheated her way to the top, so I suppose she used her ability for that in some way) and Yuus brother. Maybe when he time leaped to save like everyone, or possibly later. Of course, once they are blind no light reaches their eyes, which seems to be the ultimate necessity to use any ability.

So to save Ayumi, Yuu has to plunder his brothers ability.

Next episode will probably tell the story of how Shunsuke time leaped, then gathered the people he knew had abilities and let that one guy erase the memories of his family of him.

Seems like all storylines and missing links are going to tied up soon, that’s assuming there are no further twists.

7 Likes

As amazing as this was, why the fuck have they been holding out until episode 9 to drop EVERYTHING on us like this?

9 Likes

lol every single shitty babbys first theory was right.

1 Like

Lots of information to process here, but I’m also worried that the pacing for the final episodes will be a mess, if we assume that ep10 will be mostly Shu talking about how he changed the world… and then something something saving Ayumi in 11 and 12… I dunno

1 Like

Well, there are some reasons for that:

• More time for Yuus character developement

• The story is not really mysterious, if they had hinted upon it more we would have figured it out long before the revelation.

• Hints about the time travel thing beyond the message in the opening would have completely eliminated any shock of Ayumi’s death.

It does feel like a lot for one episode, but I think it was done pretty well considering that slowly the remaining episodes are running out.

2 Likes

Odd how the thing I’m most interested in at the moment is how they managed to get enough money to afford this stuff.

3 Likes

If I had to guess from what we know, I’d say:
stock market + time leaping = more money than you ever need
But they might have some other source of income, if you have people with all kinds of abilities it can’t be that difficult to make money.

1 Like

If you knew you had the power of time travel you’d probably keep track of a few pieces of information to build a fortune if you needed to. Keep track of a few important stocks that rose? A few surprising sports victories you could bet on? Maybe some lotto numbers?

Key plz marry me! !!
Xdxdxd this was amazing!!!.. so the time travelling theory was right… lets hope onichan’s backstory to have plenty of feels and the last 3 episodes to be something awesome (yuu stealing more powers, stealing onichan and ayumi’s power and getting blind or never meeting tomori, I guess) plz maeda-san I hope u dont disapoint me with another happy end

Nope, no way its gonna be as good as that episode.

[quote=“Velunari, post:12, topic:1837”]
More time for Yuus character developement
[/quote]What character development?

The story is not really mysterious, if they had hinted upon it more we would have figured it out long before the revelation.
[/quote]Except most of us (well, I dont know, maybe it was just me) were kinda expecting something like this anyways… didn’t come as a very big shock to me…

Hints about the time travel thing beyond the message in the opening would have completely eliminated any shock of Ayumi’s death.
[/quote]Except no one was shocked that Ayumi died… most people were guessing that since before episode 1…

[quote=“Aspirety, post:9, topic:1837, full:true”]
As amazing as this was, why the fuck have they been holding out until episode 9 to drop EVERYTHING on us like this?
[/quote]Yeah see, thats definitely one of the problem I had with this episode. Basically: “If you had such a great story hiding the whole time, why did you save it for the last 5 episodes?” The whole show could have been better if the focus had been on this part.

Despite liking this episode a lot, it was still… missing something. I didnt think “Wow, that was amazing.” I think a large part of it is that they stretched out the first part of the story and foreshadowed for so long that when something like this finally happened, I was just thinking “Well finally!”

I said this back around episode 6/7, but I really think this show would benefit from being marathoned. I also said this back around episode 1, but this show kinda sucks at keeping a consistent mood and theme. But I think the worst part is that, besides Yuu, I really dont have any attachment to any of the other character, and it makes it hard to really get into everything…

/sigh oh well. I really hope they make the time travel story interesting and revealing at least.

1 Like

Of course, but hopefully at least (Madoka) sharing a lot of similar cool elements.

1 Like

Good episode, I was absolutely confused when Yuu suddenly appeared in the computer room but they managed to explain what was going on very well. It was subtle but efficient so it didn’t feel like they were shoving the whole time travel thing down your throat. Kumagami’s character shift was kind of dramatic, why was he always so quiet throughout the beginning of the show? I dont see what he would have gotten out of hiding his true personality to the rest of them.
I’m curious to see why Yuu’s brother is blind as well, maybe those with strong powers lose their vision naturally?

Also I guess it was proved that Yuu can not only use other peoples’ abilities, but keep them for himself, I wonder how he’ll come to realize this

1 Like

Did Maeda name-drop himself in this episode? o.o

That we didn’t really get.

A lot of us did. The theories have been said, both as serious ideas and as jokes.

People denied it anyway. It’s Key. From an anime-only viewpoint, they are the studio that always brings back every character somehow.

We had the time-travel theory. We had the dream theory. We had the “Yuu being able to steal powers” theory. We had the “Yuu’s brother is Nao’s benefactor” theory.

They could have at least spread it out more instead of fitting it into like… 10-15 minutes.

Apparently the first 5-ish episodes are hard to marathon.

Part of that is how they use the music. It’s awful at times.

Even then, Yuu lacks definition. This episode he kinda went back to being the nobody character from earlier.

1 Like