Charlotte - Episode 7 "The End of the Exodus"

[quote=“ZakM, post:129, topic:1787”]
Which PV is this line from?
[/quote]Its from the second one, might have even been in the original teaser too, I dont remember.

It has also been translated as “Promise that you’ll come back home.” and “I promise to return home.”

1 Like

This screencap is from the first animated PV (2nd PV in general), and it was translated by Kazamatsuri members. You watch it here, on Facebook

And this is the link to the Kazamaturi article about it

I think I’m going to ask a native speaker.
Anyway, since this is Japanse we can expect ambiguity in some translations.

@Yerian By the way, remember we were talking about electricity in a PV? I really wonder if this is just a simple FX, or has to do with some major power. Time will tell…

I have a question, about episode 7. Near the end, there was this dude, who was trying to drag himself and grab something, which appears to be a black box, or something like that. Yu takes it first, then the next scene, it’s night time, and he’s rolling something up. Was it an alcohol or something ?

I’m guessing cocaine or some other drug you snort. When Nao kicks him you see white powder not liquid. The paper would be the thing he’s using to snort it with.

That was not alcohol it was a drug of some kind. @Doublethree1 Yeah crack cocaine seems like the most likely drug

You can judge a show at any episode. I try to reserve judgement until the mid-point… Unless it’s really bad… Which Charlotte was.
It’s not a final judgement though. People can have evolving opinions.

The interactions between the characters are boring. It’s Yuu being no one, glasses guy being stupid, and the idol being clueless. Yuu is a bad protagonist… He’s hardly a protagonist! He got to be a person for half of the first episode, and for the seventh episode. For the rest of the show, he’s been more of a side character than the power-of-the-week kids.
The soundtrack may be great, but it’s use isn’t. Tracks have been shoved in messily, with little regard to what the scene revolves around. It’s worse than the Litbus anime on that front.
It has been getting better and better, but it’s still not a good show. It has no potential to be a masterpiece with a start that bad. It’ll probably be a good and notable show, but I don’t see it making up for it’s flaws enough in future.

3 Likes

NO! I remember people here saying the whole ‘earphone’ scene between Haruka and Riki in LB! was romantic, but compare it for example with its correspondent in Charlotte. They dig into the song and the feelings it evoked, but it was also a ‘treasured’ song for Nao, because of her brother. I find it much more romantic than a scene of just two people inside a bedroom (even the setting is ugh) listening to an iPod.

It is also interesting to see Yusa and Joujirou trying to help Yuu. It was also interesting to see how Yuu got affected by what Nao told him in episode 2. It was fun to see they all working together to win the baseball match. It was interesting to see Yusa and Nao paying a visit to Ayumi, and how happy she got… Etc.

[quote=“Takafumi, post:135, topic:1787, full:true”] Yuu is a bad protagonist… He’s hardly a protagonist! He got to be a person for half of the first episode, and for the seventh episode. For the rest of the show, he’s been more of a side character than the power-of-the-week kids.
[/quote]

Just because there wasn’t much insight into him in earlier episodes doesn’t mean he isn’t a person. Just look at Riki. He wasn’t really an outstanding character on the common routes and all the other routes. But look at Refrain…

… There are people who didn’t like AB!'s character arcs, but still loved the show because of the end of it.

[quote=“sillylittlemelody, post:136, topic:1787”]
I find it much more romantic than a scene of just two people inside a bedroom
[/quote]1) It was an empty classroom, not a bedroom. 2) So far there has been absolutely zero romance in Charlotte lol

No, I agree, those were all boring.

Just because there wasn’t much insight into him in earlier episodes doesn’t mean he isn’t a person. Just look at Riki. He wasn’t really an outstanding character on the common routes and all the other routes. But look at Refrain…
[/quote]Nope, Riki was at least 5 times more interesting than Yuu and actually interacted with everyone, not just sitting off to the side.

There are people who didn’t like AB!'s character arcs, but still loved the show because of the end of it.
[/quote]The AB anime had character arcs…?

1 Like

I dunno what you think intimacy is but that’s… a hella intimate scene for teenagers. Hell, even peeps in their twenties will be rocking that shizz.

But here’s the thing you’re mixing up. We’re criticizing this thing now. If it changes our viewpoints in the future that does not invalidate how we feel now. If you disagree, cool! But you don’t need to keep stressing our views will change, it’s entirely okay for our views to change. That’s life, media, and criticism.

And there are people with the exact opposite viewpoint <3

Those two scenes were looking to show completely different things.
The Charlotte scene brought up Nao’s motivations, and showed that Yuu is capable of understanding. Look at the build-up to the Litbus scene and you get something completely different. It’s a rare moment of normalcy that the two of them share. It’s… a show of trust in a way. It can be likened to Kud’s weird ritual thingy scene.

They ruined the flow of an episode once. Omega Good Job!

Riki had motivations, and aspirations, and a desire to grow, and an active role in the story. He’s the complete opposite to Yuu really. Riki was forced to act, whereas Yuu is left to just watch stuff happen and sometimes get involved once every couple of weeks.

The final few episodes were the bad parts imo.

Is there really a need for turning every episode discussion topic into a “Why is it fine to not appreciate Charlotte” talk?

3 Likes

I think we’d all appreciate it, but there are some pretty big and iffy differences in philosophies here so it can’t be helped to a certain extent.

Uh… This is probably a cultural difference, then. But I’ve shared earphones with lots of girls and boys, and there wasn’t any intimacy or romantic feelings involved. It’s just something ordinary.

Except the latter was 100 times better. The thing is, Yuu and Nao clearly have a romantic chemistry, and that moment, by showing how Yuu could understand her, stresses that.

Same, but I’ve also had it be very intimate.

1 Like

That completely depends on the atmosphere and context, in little busters’ case it was very personal and sweet

1 Like

In my honest opinion, I don’t think this series is going to take a path that has Yuu and Nao enter a romantic relationship regardless of the little “intimate” moments like on the cliff-side in episode 5, or the cheeky smiles in episode 7.

If I had to say, it’s just teasing at fans for the sake of anticipation… But I really don’t see it happening.
I could be completely wrong though :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s not to say that I don’t like these moments… Heck this smile made the whole episode worthwhile for me :3

Whoops… I meant to post the Nao picture… Oh well… That one works too lol

This debate will never end… so many valid opinions. Anway, I believe the “intro” episodes 1-5, “the power of the week” episodes, were designed to create a calm ambient that will be disrupted abruptly. Specially for those who doesn’t know Key/Maeda. It’s like a common route, and it could be one we’ll be really missing once the problems arises…

my two cents.

1. Combine your 2 comments into one by using the edit function, I kept double posting when I first joined myself lol, but it’s typically not ok unless you are bumping the topic.

2. Yeah I don’t think Charlotte will reach a romantic point either, it was a sweet scene but it felt more as friends than as potential lovers. If they do end up in a romantic relationship I can’t see it being anything but forced, but your never know

I see what you are saying but I genuinely enjoyed the common routes in most key games, especially Kanon, air, and little busters, in Charlotte I don’t see myself saying, “I wish for those better times in the beginning” because I don’t have any real attachment to them

1 Like

This episode was…really dark.

Right after Ayumi’s death in the previous episode, Yuu understandably goes through denial and shuts himself away from the world, looking for something, anything, to blame for her sister’s death. His behavior becomes psychologically worse as the episode progresses, as his diet becomes unhealthy and he beats the living daylights out of street thugs for his own amusement.

I love this development in his character. It’s radically different from anything Maeda has done before, and it’s both repulsive and beautiful at the same time. I may sound like a psychopathic sadist myself saying this, but this episode really made me love Yuu’s character.

My main problem with the episode is the ending, which I completely saw coming, and it didn’t amuse me in the slightest. Still, I understand why it had to happen. If the rest of the show was like this, it would become more like Death Note instead of Steins;Gate, so…that’s not fun. :confused:

This episode would have been perfect if it weren’t Nao sorting him out. I know my bias against her makes no sense in the context of this show because Maeda’s forcing them together anyways, but it’s my personal taste. It doesn’t break this episode from being easily the best one so far. :smiley:

1 Like