Charlotte - Episode 5 "The Sound You Heard Sometime"

Discussion topic for Episode 5 of Charlotte, which premiered on the 1st of August, 2015. All references to outside works and to future episodes must be tagged with a [spoiler] tag.

This topic also hosted Charlotte Anime Bookclub discussion, and was referenced in our Episode 5 Podcast.

You can view the series on:
Crunchyroll in North America and UK
Daisuki in North America
Hulu in North America
Viewster in North America and some of Europe
AnimeLab in Australia

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

1 Like

ā€œIf she stays put there should be no problemā€
Welp, looks like Ayumi is going to go somewhere/get kidnapped and die from Key AIDS.
Really hope that it doesnā€™t go in that direction so obviously, and that if so itā€™s done wellā€¦
I havenā€™t felt like the showā€™s done a good job of making me feel attached to her, half of her character seems to be generic loli pandering which is irritating.

3 Likes

@Bonecuss ā€œWelp, looks like Ayumi is going to go somewhere/get kidnapped and die from Key AIDS.
Really hope that it doesnā€™t go in that direction so obviouslyā€

I was thinking the sameā€¦ good ep. Now, weā€™ve reached the inflection point. Lets see what happensā€¦

Good character developments on this one.

Enjoy last episode of peace.
From next episode shit is start happening:
http://yaraon-blog.com/archives/67023 (some ads on this page are NSFW)

I think this is my favourite episode so far. Even though I donā€™t want Nao and Yuu to end up together I liked all their interactions. I even liked how Yuu was asking Yusa about Misa. Saito only briefly appearing was more appealing to me than for example last episode with the whole thing focusing on the user while this one focused more on the council. For some reason Iā€™m hoping that boy that asked Ayumi out plays a bigger role. Thereā€™s no harm if he doesnā€™t but itā€™s just something I hope to see.

ok, overall an ok episode. It had itā€™s fun moments and also some nice quite moments where the characters kinda bonded with each other. Very well done episode. I am most curious about the girls beating up Nao though. I wonder what is up with that.

2 Likes

I actually liked this episode a lot. It had exactly the style of SoL Iā€™d been hoping for. Lots of subtle character building, good comedic moments, fucking Midorikawa, and just simply enjoyable to watch.

Donā€™t know if it surpasses the first episode, but I really enjoyed it.

Dat Key AIDS tho.

Good episode. Nao was super cute in that scene where she gave Yuu the music player <3 Nao in general is awesome. Liked the scene at the end with Yuu and Ayumi too, it was nice to see some extra interaction and Ayumi was adorable.

Nice to see Yusa talking about Misa too.

1 Like

Basically an entire episode dedicated to Nao.

Nao is now up there with Kyousuke when it comes to Key protags.

Overall, eh. Still not sold on how cohesive these last few eps have been, but I quite liked this one. I guess thatā€™s probably because Nao is awesome and this entire episode more or less focussed on her, besides the few bits that connect to prior things. e.g. Yuā€™s powers, Ayumi being really fucked over with the flags set by now.

Also some pretty rad characterization with Misa. Charlotteā€™s really going hardcore with itā€™s delinquents with hearts of gold in Charlotte since all our major characters with any character at this point are in that archetype. Which I donā€™t really mind as much since it is a pretty good archetype for interesting characters, at least the way Charlotteā€™s gone about it anyhow.

2 Likes

The developments and interactions in this episode were so good and natural. Iā€™m really happy. Iā€™m hoping weā€™ll see this level of quality going forward seeing as weā€™re to expect quite a shift soon- Iā€™m sure it was imperative that these episodes be made at their best and itā€™d explain the varying quality of some episodes.

3 Likes

Nice episode, Saito reference was amusing^^

So, why didnā€™t the big bad scary scientists already get Saito if he was in the newspaper? Surely they can make the connection. When will Yusa learn about the channeling? Was the conversation between Yuu and Jou while river-bathing foreshadowing? Whyā€™d the guard stop Ayumi if she just wanted to get the Secret Ingredientā„¢? Why are my insides clenching with bad premonition about Ayumiā€™s illness?

Thatā€™s my thoughts for the week, now I shall silence my clenching insides by stuffing them with pizza

2 Likes

SKYHIGH SAITO
MIDORIKAWA
THE YES

For real though, that was super nice.
Skyhigh Saitoā€™s emotional scene just being a punchline instead of drama that has no place because we knew him for three minutes.

Shit though, I had weird gut feeling that Iā€™d be into this one so whe-hey-hey, thatā€™s real nice that my gut knows whatā€™s up because WOWWIE LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT POST.

Team Un-kawaii pig dogs and whores make their debut! Having migrated from Little Busters and split into four girls oddly enough, I saw this one coming from the preview(Lots of people seemed to be under the impression it was Misa smacking NaoNaoā€™s shit) and had pretty much predicted NaoNaoā€™s aloofness comes from being unliked by pretty much everyone for S O M E R E A S O N~. But Iā€™m surprised it didnā€™t go into any depth, whoever the hell Riki and Yuiko Rika and Yuriko are and why Team UKPD are beating NaoNao up over them, and if itā€™s always this Team UKPD that mean NaoNao is ā€˜used toā€™ getting her shit slapped or if there is more teams NaoNao has pissed off with S O M E T H I N G. At the very least, itā€™s something to look forward to being expanded on in the future, very curious as to what S O M E T H I N G is.

Itā€™s also yet another showcase of the strength of NaoNao, itā€™s getting a little too much I think, I donā€™t want NaoNao to end up being one of these ā€˜perfectā€™ characters that I dislike so much, so far sheā€™s held back that impression by being kind of a total weirdo, but with her massive strength and flat out clairvoyance in knowing Skyhigh Saito would approach from that specific direction that the well was it, she needs to have something yank her back a bit before I start to get annoyed. Which is another drop in the hype bucket for whatever S O M E T H I N G is.

ALSO hey look at that, the comedy was much more genuine, I got quite the giggles out of ā€˜Donā€™t make Yusarin say something like thatā€™ and Yusa reacting to Jotaro being a creep(Holy shit, she is capable of at least two ways of reacting to things).

Well Iā€™m talking about Yusa, WOAH A NATURAL SEGUE INTO FEELS TALK WHAT IS GOING OOOOOOOON. No ā€˜HEY REMEMBER WHEN MOM WAS A PIECE OF SHITā€™, but instead ā€˜MAN ALL YOU GUYS LIKING MEAT REMINDS ME OF MY SISTERā€™ and THEN being pressed to go into talking about her further via natural conversation. T H I S I S H O W Y O U W R I T E T H E S E T H I N G S.

NaoNao/Yu ZHIENDO scene was nice. Iā€™m sure itā€™s setting something up, not sure what so Iā€™ll just settle for calling it nice. The lowest point would be Jojirouā€™s ā€˜Iā€™m bored of Exposition, have some Foreshadowing instead, look at my absā€™.

NOW THEN, HOW ABOUT THAT YU IN SAITO ACTION. First off that was way more than 5 seconds, which may just be Anime time speaking(Iā€™m still fresh off DIO saying entire sentances between counting down the seconds of his frozen time of 9 seconds afterall) but I wonā€™t put it past having the urgency of the situation having Yu unintentionally being able to extend his time, perhaps he was simply under the illusion that the limit was there to begin with. Aside from that he totally just used the power of somebody else by being in his body, which if nothing else, Iā€™d definitely call interesting.
Crazy theory, Yusa is the one with Pyromancy, Misa is the one who does the possession, then uses Yusaā€™s Pyromancy which is already in the body. Itā€™s not a worthless theory either, becaaaaaaause:

Also hey Peeps Iā€™m pretty sure Skyhigh Saito loud and clear said your theory on personality powers was correct.

so it could vaugly hint at actual depth to Yusa maybe

Well that about wraps it up and WAIT THE MANDATORY AYUMI SCENE WAS SOME GOOD SHIT WHAT? Such natural conversation, I keep calling things in this episode natural, you could see the bond these two characters have there, whether that speaks good of the episode or bad of what came before(since my previous favorite word for the series tended to be ā€˜forcedā€™) is yet to be seen, the repercussions of the cold are yet to be seen, it could just be for a cute scene, or could be something more.

ANYWAY, good episode which, unlike itā€™s loser fellow episodes, actually has me waiting to see where things go.

8 Likes

This was a really good episode, the interactions were natural and light. This episode avoiding much serious tone really makes me think that next episode is when the **** will hit the fan. A lot of bonding between the characters, and a lot of possible foreshadowing. Iā€™m really excited to see where the series will go from here.

Also, this might not be the right thread to talk about this in, but I think this episodeā€™s ED has been my favorite so far, and I like that they are changing it up every two episodes.

Similar to the others, I liked this episode a lot. This one is the one the more impatient folks have been waiting for. Great character development, enjoyable interactions between the main group, Joujirou being Joujirou, Yuu breaking the 4th wall like a boss, and they didnā€™t delve to deep into the problems of a super minor character. Nao and Yuu seemingly a good couple? Oh ho ho, I want to hear more about that~

At the same time, more questions asked; what was with those girls beating up Nao and her acting so indifferent about it? Will our endearing imouto die from the infamous Key aids or vanish randomly?

Iā€™m excited in particular for next weekā€™s episode. Good stuff!

It has begun. be prepared

Death flag has been raised.

3 Likes

Again, Im gonna stand by my assertion that silver hair, blue eyed dude is the same guy in all three places weā€™ve seen himā€¦

[quote=ā€œBonecuss, post:3, topic:1694ā€]
half of her character seems to be generic loli pandering which is irritating.
[/quote]At least its ā€œdelicious lolisā€ ( Ķ”Ā° ĶœŹ– Ķ”Ā°)

[quote=ā€œSkyzzed, post:12, topic:1694ā€]
why didnā€™t the big bad scary scientists already get Saito if he was in the newspaper?
[/quote]It was an ā€œoccult magazineā€, it probably had a bunch of stuff about UMAs and stuff that most people dont take seriously.

[quote=ā€œDoublethree1, post:6, topic:1694ā€]
Even though I donā€™t want Nao and Yuu to end up together I liked all their interactions.
[/quote]Yeah, I felt like that scene was kinda forced. I dont sense any romantic tension between Yuu and Nao. It wouldnt necessarily bother me if there was a bit of romance if its done naturally, but the way Yusa brought it up out of the blue makes me worried that they might force it.

TFW nothing happens to Ayumi at all and her cold is just a red herring :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And of course: Based ZHIEND, based Midorikawa, and based Saito!

3 Likes

I donā€™t see the problem.

Not like Yusa actually knows these people, she was dragged into the group and even then Misa is the one who tends to hang out with them.

Yusa asking a genuine question about their relationship is not forced because the fact sheā€™s there to begin with is forced!
Sides, Jojirou said ā€˜lolnoā€™ anyway, I donā€™t believe itā€™s supposed to be budding romance even at this stage. Seeds, if nothing more.

1 Like

if she didnā€™t bring that up I probably would have thought they were just being friendly with each other. I guess Iā€™d be fine with them together if itā€™s natural I just kind of want to see a Maeda story without romance.

1 Like

It wasnā€™t a weekly Terra. Just a small occult mag.

Sheā€™s already dead. We just need to accept it.

He didnā€™t actually get that title though. This guy is justā€¦ Saitoā€¦

Isnā€™t it the original ED? I thought they were just doing HLH songs for the sistersā€™ episodes.

Anime colds are deadly though.