Charlotte - Episode 2 "Melody of Despair"

Discussion topic for Episode 2 of the Charlotte anime series, premiering on the 11th of July, 2015. Please refer to events beyond this episode and comparisons to other works with [spoiler], otherwise you’re free to discuss anything up to and including this episode.

This topic also hosted Charlotte Anime Bookclub discussion, and was referenced in our Episode 2 Podcast.

You can view the series on:
Crunchyroll in North America and UK
Daisuki in North America
Hulu in North America
Viewster in North America and some of Europe
AnimeLab in Australia

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

1 Like

Well this sure is an episode. From the OP and ED being hella amazing (Like seriously, the only reason I can’t say this OP is best of the season is because we have Insight and a bunch of other amazing OPs this season.) to the fast paced contrast between happy Key and sad Key. There is possibly something to say about how it might wear off if it uses this sort of pacing throughout the whole show; it really does feel like Maeda has figured out how to structure an anime since Angel Beats.

Also Nao is now in the running for best Key girl. Which is impressive since beforehand for me that was full of Kyousuke and Kotarou.

5 Likes

Well I liked learning about Nao’s brother and guess we know who that mystery dude is from the preview (also the wheelchair). I wonder how long until Yusa is going to be introduced. She cameoed last episode but I was expecting her to actually show up this week. Also I hope Ayumi gets some super OP power or something that has no weakness, it would just be kinda funny with her appearance.
I also really liked Nao’s character (especially when the archery dude called her attractive) throughout the episode. One final thing is I hope they keep the credits starting while the show is still going on type thing. For some reason I really like that and the only anime I can think of that is consistently doing that is Shokugeki no Souma.

Well, it’s only the second episode, and we’re already seeing the more emotional side of the show. Nao has already become a much more sympathetic character than she was before, given the reasons she has for so aggressively chasing after other ability users. She’s a lot like Yuri in that respect too, I suppose. But seriously, that scene with her brother in the hospital was sort of devastating in a way, especially with how calm Nao was about the whole thing. I mean yeah, she’s had some time to come to terms with the whole thing, but that says something about how strong she is in itself, that she was able to get used to a sight like that and have nothing to say besides “oh, he ruined another futon.”

We got our first “appearance” from Zhiend, too. Of the two groups introduced, they’re the one whose music I’m most interested in hearing. As cute as Yusa and How Low Hello are, I just need that ~post rock~ in my life. It does give another layer to Nao’s apparent fascination with the band, though. Who would have thought that she learned about them from her brother?

Oh, and we got more stars this episode, too. I’m guessing there’s some kind of significance behind the comet that Ayumi wants to see, but it’s still too early to know what that could be. My initial thought was that maybe there was a comet named Charlotte, and that was the significance, but a quick Google search gave me no hits for “Charlotte comet” besides some bar in North Carolina, so I’m guessing that theory can be thrown out the window (unless they made up their own comet). :stuck_out_tongue:

Moving away from the more dramatic side, though, the comedic scenes were just as on point as the first episode, and the scene with the archer in particular served as a good transition to the second half. Ayumi’s apparent inability to make anything besides omurice kind of amazes me, considering how hard it is to make that stuff look just right. I would think that if you can make an omurice look good, you can cook anything, but I guess not. :stuck_out_tongue: Pizza sauce curry sounds terrifying, though, and I’m not sure I would want that anywhere near me. Yu is a brave soul.

As a side note, the scene where they grabbed the sandwiches made me think of that LB scene where they grab random bread, with disastrous results. The sandwiches here may have been smashed, but at least they were edible this time!

All in all, this was probably an improvement even in the first episode, and I’m looking forward to more ~reveals~ as the show goes on.

5 Likes

The series is beginning to show signs of being made by key.

Nao’s backstory about her brother in this episode is really unfortunate, and I can easily see why she seems to be lacking in trust towards others.

Also Takajo is just as great as I had pinned him. He’s a pretty good comic relief character, though I’m sure he has quite the trauma of his own in some way. The humor is really great, Jun Maeda continues to impress me.

Of course we can’t forget that Yu is showing signs of starting to care about others more. As suspected, but I didn’t think it would be this quick. Will be interesting to see how his character develops as we go on.

And finally, the fantastic OP and ED. Both incredible, particularly the OP.

tl;dr Great episode, looking forward to more.

1 Like

It was an ok episode, I really liked the first part and if I am not mistaken, the archery guy had the same VA as Kengo. It was nice to learn of why she is so determined to help out ability users.

oh, and I didnt like the ending that much visually and songwise.

1 Like

Before i go into my “analysis” of this ep, I’d like to point out a little something I noticed. Am I the only one who thinks the male uniforms look very similar to the uniforms worn by the normal students/NPCs from Angel Beats!? I’d post a couple of pictures for comparison purposes, but I watched the ep on my XBox and am too lazy to go back and grab a screen shot myself.

Anyway, I found that this was a great ep in regards to developing the setting as well as Nao’s character. I can see this becoming fairly dark compared to what I’ve seen from Key before, not quite on par with the post-apocalyptic setting of Planetarian or the endless cycle of despair presented in Little Busters!, but it’s still up there.
I also found Nao to be fairly interesting as well. I’d actually like to compare her to Yuri from Angel Beats!, not only for being the leader of the cast, but also for a rather tragic back story involving siblings that was revealed in the second ep of each of their respective series . She can be extremely cheerful when she wants to be, dead serious when she needs to be, but still has that underlying tragedy and sorrow. I can easily see her becoming my favorite character in the series, but we’ll see were things take her and the other characters.
Right now, I am really liking Charlotte, but I am a little concerned about pacing, but that’s something that tends to happen with me when I watch something that’s this short.

1 Like

Nice episode, beautiful opening.

A little bit of speculation:

The first two episode titles both were connected to an ability with “Melody of Despair” definitely referencing how Nao’s brother’s lost his sanity because of his soundwave control. It might be that some more future episode titles might have that kind of connection, combining an ability and the resulting story in a poetic way.

Also I think that the remaining Otosaka sibling most probably has left his family because of the “becoming a guinea pig for scientists”-threat. Protecting his family by leaving them, maybe with some memory-manipulation ability in play sounds pretty plausible. If he knew about the danger beforehand, he might have been able to flee and completely erase every trace that he ever existed.
In the present he might either be already in some kind of research facility if he got caught, or, even more speculative he might be closer than we think, maybe he is this person Nao trusts who helped create this secure boarding school for people with abilities.

6 Likes

OP and ED both top, can’t really tell which one I like better
But I do like starry skies, so visually the ED is better :stuck_out_tongue:

The episode was pretty fast paced imo, but the contrast between comedy and serious was good. (Dat cafeteria scene)

Nao’s character is interesting, but I can’t shake off the feeling that she’s putting on a strong mask and is not as passive about her brother as she appears to be in the hospital. Following that thought, I’m not entirely sure how much of her goofy side during the conversation with the archery captain was “real”, if you get what I mean. [/madrambling] Long story short, I’m very interested in seeing more of her, looks like she’ll easily be best girl of this show

Also we now know where her Zhiend obsession comes from^^

As for Ayumi, there’s just 3 short thoughts:

1. She’s a bit too hyper imo, she needs to calm down a little :wink:
  2. I don’t want anything bad happen to her, but we all know something is gonna happen
  3. Food-related ability? :smiley:

Overall 4/5, good content but the pacing was sliiiightly too fast at some points (at least for me), especially thinking of the “transition” part between the cafeteria-comedy and hospital-seriousness with Yuu and Nao on the train/bus

You missed this:

2 Likes

That thing is a minor planet, not a comet. It has a mean
radius of 34.4 km, which means if that thing hits earth it’s not a
beautiful trail in the sky, it’s armageddon.

It’s also more than twice as far away from the sun as earth, which
makes it pretty much impossible to spot with a normal telescope.
Although I’m not an astronomer, so I have no idea if it might have some
kind of orbit that could bring it near earth.

But I think the name is just coincidence, I mean from all
astronomical objects in our solar system it was pretty much guaranteed
that one of them was named Charlotte.

1 Like

What if it’s turn out that Charlotte is Apocalypse story? :3

I feel I’d be very disappointed if that was the case. Mainly because I know I’ll instantly compare it to Gakkou Gurashi! since that’s also a summer anime that’s in an apocalypse setting and I really don’t want to do that (but I will subconsciously.

Do we actually know if the comet affects powers or is it just a logical guess? I mean yeah the start of episode 1 implied that but I took Ayumi’s words while looking in the telescope this episode to be talking about “Charlotte” which if it only passed (I think) once every century wouldn’t that mean kids would only develop powers once every hundred years which would be possible since Nao and Yuu clearly didn’t get them at the same time.

1 Like

The ending song is pretty nice. I’ll just get them both when the singles come out.

And omurice every day, all day.

P R E Q U E L C O N F I R M E D
(credit to some dude in the r/anime discussion)

11 Likes

I dont think its a prequel since that poster is in a music store while that ones in his room. and Angel beats timeline is bizarre to begin with. Anyway maybe its becouse I’m watching GATE every week before charlotte but my hype is more for gate… Idk Charlotte just hasnt hooked me in like Gate has yet.

HEY I JUST MET YOU

AND THIS IS CRAAAAZY

BUT HERE’S MY BACKSTORY

GET FEELS MAYBE?

It’s the exact same shit as Angel Beats

YOU DON’T DO THAT IN EPISODE TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAEDA YOU HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

4 Likes

It felt alot better in Charlotte though. Like it isn’t a climax. Nor is it exactly out of place. It’s flowing a helluva lot better than Angel Beats did. (Though Iwasawa’s arc was like the best bit of Angel Beats, things fell apart soon after). The importance of it not being like the end of an arc, more a constant and continuing experience flows alot more. Beats having the show carried by pure fun things being fun forever.

1 Like

I guess.

I’m also annoyed that Jotaro(I know) expositioned both his and NaoNao’s powers and their imperfections much smother in this episode making my bitching about it being shoddily delivered last episode even more relevant.

I need a zoom and enhanced of NaoNao’s underwear photo

2 Likes