Angel Beats! - Visual Novel Details & Ongoing Speculation

Really interesting theory on that, actually. There were Kanade choices locked out too weren’t there.

Considering they’re both THE leads, it’s weird to think there’s choices there already for what could possibly be 5th or 6th Beat content.

AWWWW YIS, SHIRTLESS HINATA.

So then, maybe 1st beat is actually the whole game, but they’ll just release patches or something of the sort to unlock those choices? Looks like Biz or whoever came up with the patch thing was right.

Or I mean they could’ve just had those choices locked out for the trial edition only. :stuck_out_tongue:

1st Beat is said to be the entire Common Route, plus the Yui, Iwasawa and Matsushita Routes. The other Beats will add more routes and so, I guess open up more Common Choices.

I guess that explains my original concern about this. I was wondering if after new Beats I’d have to replay all of Common to hit new scenes but I guess they branch from existing ones so that setup should work fine.

Yup, there were also Kanade choices locked out, and this was on the second day, when Otonashi had absolutely no interaction with Kanade yet. I guess we’ll find out in two months’ time >_<

inb4 DLC, pay 500 yen to unlock this choice!

That seems really crappy and poor because we won’t get to Hinata, Naoi, Otonashi(?), parts of the story and they built up a good bit of the anime. On the other hand, it would be pretty cool to see how things play out with alternative choices from the anime. But real talk, IM IN MURIKA, I DEMAND FREEDOM OF CHOICES.

Kinda goes against them saying you could chase the Yuri route just to fail though.

I think it’s grayed out because it’s a demo, tbh.

3 Likes

I just hope it’s not content that’s already on the disc and then you pay to unlock it… That’s the kind of DLC I really hate.

There is no way that’s going to happen lol, like no way.
I’d resign if that happened.

But Key showed a CG where Yuri is telling Otonashi about her past or not?

Yeah you are probably right. I don’t think they had the time to even made the whole game but with the choices in the common route already structured for the next routes and locked out if this was a more “mainstream game” (not sure what to call it here) I wouldn’t be surprised if locked disc DLC would be the case. Again this is just me being pessimistic XD

I don’t think I remember any CG of the sort, no. Hmmm they could be just keeping it secret for now, but I dunnooooo

They did, look at the op of this topic. :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s the anime scene. We don’t know the -extent- of that scene, it may not go that far. But it’s there.

1 Like

So here’s something fun I’ve discovered-

Currently, when you save in the trial at least, the volume that you’re playing on is shown in a free space to the bottom right of the slot. Seems that future beats will be pulling from the same file, furthering the ‘expansion’ idea. Each beat just adds onto one big Angel Beats! file and updates that game. At least, that seems to be the current plan for it. INTERESTING.

There’s also the lock and it reminds me of the whole ‘you can’t stop me from seeing this again, I’ll save and reload!’ Would be hilarious if, since you can plainly see the system knows which beat the save is- If it can lock it. www @Aspirety

6 Likes

Interestiiiing. So 1st beat will be like the main game, then you can get more beats as they go? Like you can skip 2nd beat but get 3rd beat… maybe?

The lock is just there so players can prevent themselves from moving or overwriting the save file accidentally. That one carried over from Rewrite.

1 Like

I think that’s what they were saying in the links Biz posted earlier:

The machine translation I read of that used the word “append.” They did say that 1st beat needed to be installed first for 2nd beat to be able to be used. But I have no idea if you could skip 2nd to get to 3rd. Hmm…

So I guess the question is if the expansions function more like DLC in modern games (don’t need any of the other expansion packs to play, just the main game), or if it depends on each preceding beat before it. Based on how grandiose they’re making it, I would suspect the latter since different beats will likely interact with future beats to affect the story.

Looking at it another way… Let’s say person “X” and “Y” are the only routes in n-beat, but in (n + 1)-beat they have the possibility of disappearing. If you install “n + 1” before “n,” then cause “X” and “Y” to disappear, then you effectively make the "n"th beat useless.

From a production and development point of view, requiring all preceding beats is simplest. Though some beats might be stand-alone as well.

^ I’m just typing my thoughts as they occur. If you happen to spot any sign of sanity or logic in there, let me know. xP

1 Like

You missed the part where this was a cruel joke and took it literally.

Sasuga.

They just released an app on the android market that gives you alarms and news about the VN and the new anime Charlotte as well. Might come in pretty handy. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.product.abcwatch.googleplay
Does this work for anyone? It auto closes whenever I run it. I don’t know if it’s because i’m in the states and not in Japan or wut.

3 Likes

It keeps crashing for me, too, and I’m in Japan =/

@EndOfRefrain was able to make it work though :o

Yup, works fine for me. Dunno what’s the reason for that though.