Angel Beats! Special Episode 2: "Hell's Kitchen" Discussion

Let’s get some discussion of the new Angel Beats! OVA rolling! Feel free to discuss the entirety of the anime series without fear of spoilers, but please tag any Heaven’s Door or 1st beat spoilers appropriately.

The hype train also goes crazy under the moon.

1 Like

Sooooo much Irie and Sekine

1 Like

Yeah it really felt like hey! These two got no characterisation in the anime. Let’s give them heaps of screentime in preparation for 1st beat!

Looks like these events take place on day 3 for Otonashi. I wonder if we’ll see any of it in 1st beat~

I never knew Sekine was so grim lololol

Overall, it was a funny, interesting, random episode with the usual mortal jokes. More screen time for GirlDeMo members, more bro-times between the male characters… yeah.
Ooyama is not what he seems
TK loves the Earth. Is he a member of Gaia or something???
Hisako x Iwasawa confirmed
Kanade is hilariously out of character and suddenly went Creamy Kagarin mode lol

Also, in the end of the episode we see “To be continued”.
Is this because this episode meant to be put somewhere between episode 2 and 3? Or… will they make another Special Episode when the next volume of AB! is released…???

And, what’s with this episode title? There was no cooking, much less kitchen. And I expected some Gordon Ramsay parody to be thrown in…

2 Likes

It clearly means “To be continued in the VN”. :wink:

1 Like

I like to read books!
Nudge nudge

I’m pretty certain Hell’s Kitchen is in reference to the evil moon shadow brew Sekine created.

1 Like

Oh boy. After already re-watching Angel Beats! who knows how many times, it felt so good watching and listening to that opening knowing it’ll be followed by an episode I haven’t seen yet! It’s been so long since the last time. :smiley:

As I watched it without subtitles, there were still a few times I didn’t understand what was said, but mostly I understood everything and I definitely enjoyed every moment! It was a really nice OVA I think. I really liked that Sekine and Irie were featured a lot in this episode! Could have had more Shiina though :wink:

So yeah, all and all, really nice episode and definitely worth watching!. Now I’ll just be re-watching this a few times while waiting for my Blu-Ray Box to arrive. :slight_smile:

I’ll just hang back and wait for the subs…

The subs are already out doe

I haven’t found any English subs, from where i’ve looked; they all say “coming soon.” At least, a Google search doesn’t show any, nor does anyone on reddit or MAL seem to know where they are.

Oh wait the ones I found turned out to be russian or something so I was wrong. Spoke too soon I guess… Sorry

Indoensian subs are already out, lol. Good guys.

Sekine shines in this special episode <3
GirlDeMo definitely deserves more screentime. Can’t wait for the VN to read their routes!

Just finished watching the subbed episode. Interesting… I wonder if it is well translated, because I didn’t liked the phrase I’m gonna lock you in the third world. or something similar.

I’m a bit surprised. Since it doesn’t make any sense. :confused:
If it is correct, then it doesn’t sound good imo.

@zetaFairlight That’s pretty much what she said though. For some reason, Kanade went full chuunibyou.

I loved how T.K.s death had maximum level of cheese. The animation, dialogue and everything was perfect. Is there anyone who knows how to make gifs and can make one of Sekine grabbing Irie from behind to “threaten” her family. Irie-tan so adorable.

1 Like

If you think about it, Kanade is always kind of like that, I mean she does come up with names like “Hand sonic” for her skills and goes through the trouble of saying them every time she uses them. I am pretty sure the software does not really necessitate that.

And considering the situation she was in this time, facing off against a demon, an enemy definitely superior to students with guns, she probably wanted to make a special entrance.

Yeah, it was just some thoughts on that particular line. It doesn’t imply that I don’t like Kanade at all. (Refer to my current my avatar :slight_smile: ).

Anyway, the episode was very well done, very well edited, and it feels like a much longer episode than a standard one. I’ve enjoyed it.
You can feel that it is the tip of the iceberg. Like: they’re preparing the terrain for us for the VN (and hopefully more OVAs).

To contradict myself a little, from another point of view: it makes sense that Kanade will make some subtle changes in her “style”, it was a little bit expected.

Since we have a great huge and big story upon us, right around the corner.
Ergo, Kanade’s personality should be expanded somehow.

The anime and the VN need to catch up each other somehow, to some degree.
And I think they are doing a good job.

Anyway, seems that we’re going to have a lot of fun this year! Which is great. : )

It was pretty ok. My favorite part was at the end with Yui.

2 Likes

Maaaan this was a great episode. I was a bit excited at first as to what all the members were plotting, but most of them just ended up being too silly :stuck_out_tongue: As expected of the SSS.

The GirlsDeMo section was a nice breath of fresh air though. Finally we see more screen time of Sekine and Irie, and they are everything I expect them to be~

Kanade suddenly going chuuni was too out of character, and the over-the-top club members were, in a way, to be expected.

Seriously though, what was in that evil brew that Sekine created? It actually took me a while to realize that Hisako was feeding them the raw liver. For a minute, I thought she was eating Sekine o_O

TM Network yooooooo!

I was waiting for her to appear :stuck_out_tongue: TOIRE DESU YO NE~

1 Like

the whole episode was me being happy to hear Harumi Sakurai again and waiting for Yui.

1 Like

I really liked the Girls Dead Monster parts. They were barely shown in the anime outside of Iwasawa/Yui (and Hisako is the only one to appear so far in Heaven’s Door) so it was nice to see them. I can’t wait for Sekine and Irie’s routes in the VN now.

2 Likes